73 29.80%
73 29.80%
Votes: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 9th, 2019, 10:53 PM #161
> Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

Not as good as last week's but still good.

- Ben and Betty are actually useful allies to the team and saved Devon. Already better than Victory & Monty but I still hope they grow as characters.
- Cyber Dimension looks really cool and I hope we get to learn more about this dimension.
- Weaknesses make sense and they don't bother me like most people but the "Woofies Dog Food" sign looked incredibly bad layered on top of the Sentai footage. You can still see part of the original chicken banner underneath it in some shots. One of the editing team's weakest efforts.
- Disappointing that we didn't get to see the battle simulator. I hope it shows up during a future episode.
- Fight scenes have a lot more impact when they're not blabbering on about these powers and weapons and how powerful they are non stop. I can see for myself that they are powerful and this show is doing a much better job as showing, not telling.
- Lots of great set ups with potential... but so did Ninja Steel & Dino Charge. The problem with those seasons was the execution. They have to still do something great with these great ideas or else they'll fall flat. Only time will tell.
Elephant is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:01 PM #162
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Elephant wrote: View Post

- Lots of great set ups with potential... but so did Ninja Steel & Dino Charge. The problem with those seasons was the execution. They have to still do something great with these great ideas or else they'll fall flat. Only time will tell.
Well Dino Charge did... You could tell where Ninja Steel was headed by the second episode.
Xenotome is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:04 PM #163
> bearytrek
Power Ranger

bearytrek
Power Ranger

AdamN wrote: View Post

So "Virus eliminated" is our new victory catchphrase?

It has familiar vibes like "Monster extinct", short and works with theme of the season.
i would have gone for "Virus erradicated"...expand the kiddie's vocabulary!
bearytrek is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:07 PM #164
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

powerpackers90 wrote: View Post

I can see why they cut it out thou. As they used the shooting part to set up the turn on Zoey as she called him out on it. Plus it gave Devon the destroying the MotW part instead. Setting up him becoming leader. How he was the only one with a cool head and focused in the fight.
I feel like it downplays the whole overheating thing, it really just makes Ravi seem like he is just slightly more irritable. Doesn't leave that much oomphf when/if he willingly overheats just to gain that dangerous power. If we ever get a roxy vs Ravi fight ala to the movie set fight of Ryuji and Escape, it won't really have as much weight.

Perhaps later episodes will be able to bring the drama, but as is right now it really just seems more like a unfortunate set back rather than a danger.

Last edited by Allio; March 9th, 2019 at 11:26 PM.
Allio is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:09 PM #165
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

2 episodes in and I'm still loving it. Very excited to see where Hasbro goes with this season.
comicstar100 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:13 PM #166
> Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Well Dino Charge did... You could tell where Ninja Steel was headed by the second episode.
It was mostly with regards the Ninja Steel characters, I felt like they could've done so much more with them.

For example, Brody was abducted at a young age right after seeing his father defeated in battle and he presumes he is dead. He's also separated from his brother. He spends 10 years on an alien spaceship with no interaction with the real world but finally escapes with an eccentric mechanic and a robot. They could have done a lot exploring his difficulties of adapting to a normal life after all that time and fleshed out the character even more but all they did was one episode with that and from that point on, he was just another generic teenager who liked to say "Epic!". Great setup for a character, terrible execution.
Elephant is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:13 PM #167
> Allio
Power Ranger

Allio
Power Ranger

I think my biggest grip of how much was rushed into this episode. It probably doesn't help that Go-busters was one of those seasons that actually took it's time with it's pacing, took a long while just for Go-Buster oh to appear.

The points of this episode hit was

-Introducing new villain henchmen
-Introducing Beast bots
-Choosing the team leader plot
-Revealing weaknesses (and solving them)
-And megazord introduction

Episode 2 should have just done
-new villain
-Team leader subplot
-Let Devon meet Cruise (Dude, you are like a videogame character)
-And Go-buster Ace
-Have the credits scene with introducing Jax and Crush

Leave later episodes to bring in the weaknesses
Allio is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:29 PM #168
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Allio wrote: View Post

I feel like it downplays the whole overheating thing, it really just makes Ravi seem like he is just slightly more irritable.
Zoey would probably be dead if Devon didn't step in. Because he was overheating, Ravi was going to kill her.

It's not as intense as it was with Ryuji, but it's more than just Ravi being more irritable. He still loses control. But I agree with whoever said they should've shown more of him out of control. It was a little rushed.

Last edited by AkaGreen; March 10th, 2019 at 10:04 PM.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:33 PM #169
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

A real previously on? Have we seen that in a while? And no intro? Hell yeah.

Wait, this is actually picking up right where the last one left off? Awesome.

The Cyber Dimension? I'm glad we're bringing in the pocket dimensions stuff again, not just an alternate Earth dimension. I hope this leads to some fun cameos or easter eggs.

Maybe its the color, but Jax immediately brings to mind some sort of cabbie that's seen some things type character with that accent. I like that with one line we get a lot of personality set up without it being exposition heavy.

Smash being a hugger is funny to me.

There is something weird about Cruise offering a ride immediately when you realize how he turns into a motorcycle. I always thought that was a weird aspect from Go-Busters, translating it doesn't make that go away.

Comedy duo are just general gofer type fill any spot needed for the episode workers. Still not sold on them. But it's manageable.

Nice foreshadow without being too obvious. I was hoping for a moment there Roxy was going to namedrop Venjix but alas.

"You've never done Laundry in your life" Nice mom burn, just go home Ravi you're done.

I really like when zords are just sitting around in an accessible bay or holding area instead of just in some generic hiding spot or materialized out of thin air. It makes them feel real and helps build the world of this organization they are in.

Damn, seven minutes in before the credits? No wonder its so short.

I like how we're getting exposition, character development, and humor out of an unmorphed fight with Ravi and Zoey's bickering about leadership. It sets up the overall character traits of both and sets them on their individual paths. Ravi's dealing with being the only trained ranger and thinking that should make him better than the others. Zoey's got a complex due to not making it as a cadet and needs to prove herself now. I also like how instead of just being a Red/Blue rehash of Sky and jack, it's Ravi and Zoey fighting about this while Devon just does the job without thinking about it.

So they just made Morph-X a liquid fuel source? How does that work exactly? Does it just work like gas or does everyone have some sort of converter device for the stuff now? Can you just dip your phone in it and get it charged?

Ah, they carried the freeze up footage of Red over. Not into that. Showing the comedy duo as willing to jump in to help though was unexpected. I thought they'd get in the way or set up some dumb joke scene when they tagged along. Still feel unsure about that though. At least its not a chicken though.

Ravi's got anger issues and Zoey's got energy problems, interesting way to work around the footage and makes Smash being a hugger even funnier. Gorilla Rage makes sense, Jackrabbit burning through energy I get even though rabbits don't actually eat carrots. Cheetah's may be cats, but holy crap, is that stretching it to carry that footage over. I hope they find work arounds in the future or phase it out entirely. I forgot how long Go-Busters used that gimmick so I'm not sure how much footage gets in the way for that.

Overall great episode. This season has really turned everything around and shows how the writing skill was there the whole time. Something else was just clearly in the way. I can only see this improving as we go on.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:39 PM #170
> KRDK
Nobody's Perfect

KRDK
Nobody's Perfect

Betty and Ben do remind me of Gopher now that I really think about it. No wonder why those two grew on me so quickly, Gopher is my favorite Pooh character.
KRDK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:52 PM #171
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Maybe its the color, but Jax immediately brings to mind some sort of cabbie that's seen some things type character with that accent. I like that with one line we get a lot of personality set up without it being exposition heavy.
Jax is literally Danny Devito in Taxi.
Xenotome is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:13 AM #172
> Brown Ranger
Que Boom!

Brown Ranger
Que Boom!

I guess they had to change Red's weakness since its within his Cheetah DNA and it wouldn't make any sense if the weakness was chickens. But they kept Ravi's and Zoey's exactly from Go-Busters.
Brown Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:30 AM #173
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

So they just made Morph-X a liquid fuel source? How does that work exactly? Does it just work like gas or does everyone have some sort of converter device for the stuff now? Can you just dip your phone in it and get it charged?
Or it turns your phone into a morpher, but morphing into what huh? Walking Advertisement Ranger? Haha.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:47 AM #174
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

I think the best way to get around the oddity of the Cheetah DNA weakness is that Evox is responsible for sabotaging it, so maybe he himself is directly responsible for what exactly went wrong with them. By that I mean it's not just his infection that made something imperfect but he directly decided to give them certain weaknesses(if they were to be his servants he'd want certain control over them). And he's a dumb computer virus so he thought all cats are scared of dogs
SuperStar is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:21 AM #175
> coreymon77
Power Ranger

coreymon77
Power Ranger

Good stuff once again. There was a lot to pack in to this episode because god forbid Nickelodeon allows for more than 20 episodes per season. But hey, what can you do?

This episode further confirms that the Avatars retain the memories of their human selves, at least to some extent, since Cyber Blaze still holds a grudge against Devon for the karate class. That leaves some interesting possibilities for Roxy and Ravi or maybe Zoe too as it was implied there might be a connection there too.

Also, Zoe got cut as a cadet not due to lack of competence but because she had to hold down a part time job at the same time. Interesting. Seems like Zoe and Ravi come from rather different life situations. I wonder if that will come up more later on.

I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the weaknesses. I'm actually not really surprised they were left in. One of the reasons Go-Busters was thought to be difficult to adapt is that it doesn't differentiate as much between morphed and unmorphed as other seasons typically do. Things such as the weak points show up during fights somewhat regularly. Hiromu freezing up, Ryuuji overheating and losing control, Yoko running out of energy, this stuff shows up in fights with at least some regularity, sometimes even with some narrative significance to the battle. The production team already has to do some pretty creative adapting around the footage, what with Enter and, later, Escape being around all the time and a few other quirks so needing to film/edit around yet another aspect of the Sentai footage by leaving out the weaknesses was probably deemed more trouble than it's worth.

It being Evox corrupting the DNA makes sense for why it happened. They didn't get enough exposure to get full-on Avatar'ed, but got enough to cause some troubles.

I would imagine most people would just plug in to an power outlet same as you normally would, just with Morph-X driving the power plants rather than some other source. Since the crew in the Cyber Dimension don't have access to Coral Harbor's electrical grid, they need to steal Morph-x directly in order to power Scrozzle's equipment.

Last edited by coreymon77; March 10th, 2019 at 01:29 AM.
coreymon77 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:06 AM #176
> FlameDragon
VIP Ranger

FlameDragon
VIP Ranger

AkaGreen wrote: View Post

Zoey would probably be dead if Devon didn't step in. Because he was overheating, Ravi was going to kill her.

It's not as intense as it was with Ryuji, but it's more than just Ravi being more irritable. He stills loses control. But I agree with whoever said they should've shown more of him out of control. It was a little rushed.
i never saw the Ryuji scene in Go-Busters only until after watching this episode, and i think they did a great job drama wise with how they handled the scene with their weaknesses. oh course the Go-Busters version was WAY more intense with Ryuji single handedly killing the monster and straight up punching Yoko. but for a PG version, this episode still did a good job showing Ravi angry and attacking his teammates. i still hope they could intensify the drama more, but even having Ravi go bananas(pun intended) at all i think is a good start.

the dialogue for the Evil Rangers/Ravi in rage mode is better than the monsters. the monster dialogue is about what you expect from a power rangers show, but Blaze has some dialogue that sound way more threatening in comparison.

Last edited by FlameDragon; March 10th, 2019 at 02:06 AM.
FlameDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:10 AM #177
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Alitain wrote: View Post

Otherwise it was a fine episode. I enjoyed the Blaze and Roxy stuff in the cyber world. I think I'll still look forward to seeing them as characters, and hopefully there'll be some kind of growth or something with them, and they wont just be 'Arr I'm bad today.'. Curious on the whole Vargoyle thing. Seems a setup for a second villain that may or may not try to usurp power or do something. We've seen it before, another villain coming in to run things for a bit before getting defeated and the Big Bad finishing things off..
The Cyber World is really a interesthing Dimension for the villans, and I hope to Blaze and Roxy grow more, we can really notace who Roxy was funny when Blaze and Scrozzle were going to battle the Rangers, and the Vargoyle set up will be interesthing if they him join to Evox crew, because well if Vargoyle is so powerfull that Scroogle was tell to them, we going to had a scenario similar to the Master Xandred and Serrator, because most of the times we always had others villans to shake the things happens.

Unless happens like in Dino Charge Snide stayed was Bid Bad until Sledge returns, because will be cool to keep Evox for the both seasons, and I dont Hasbro wanted to use the footage of Messiah Cell so early in the season.

Scrozzle had is own private Army with the Grunts and the Robots, is much similar to Frax had in Time Force, and this set up, if he had more Morph-X for sore will going to had power to face Vargoyle/Evox because all this scenario reminds a lot of Frax, he was the one which had the Cyclobots and created New Robots !!!

Interesthing way of Evox talking about of is Avatars Blaze and Roxy really liked when he says "going with this creature" and Evox tellings they had to go for the world they are the human World, I suppose Evox is going to use Scrozzle, and maybe later use is Power to upgrade the Gigadroids.

We had the Arc of the MessiahData Cards and Messiah Reboot to show up

Last edited by Akumaru; March 10th, 2019 at 04:47 AM.
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:17 AM #178
> Timeline15
Power Ranger

Timeline15
Power Ranger

That was a really good episode.

- the Rangers getting introduced to their tech was very cool, and I'd act exactly the same way in front of a Zord.
- The Beast Bots' voices are pretty good. Cruise is pretty much spot on to what I wanted for Nick Smash's is a bit odd but still OK. Not sure why they gave Jax a deep southern accent, but sure.
- They kept the weak points. They actually kept the weak points! Interesting that they didn't know about them in advance, unlike Go-Busters. I wish they'd preserved the emotional resonance of the original scene when Ravi attacked Zoey, but I guess they don't have a deep a connection as Ryuji and Yoko, so it wouldn't emotionally affect Zoey as much.
- Ben and Betty are so much more likeable than any of the Neo Saban comic relief. They actually try to help (and even succeed).
- Evox's voice is fantastic, but I'm not sure what the point is of them getting help from a random robot guy. Why not just say that Evox built all the stuff himself? He has access to the morphin grid, so they could easily have kept the Gigadroids as Megazords, and say he created them that way.
- Don't really like the use of the Cheetah Blaster. Why would firing a gun make the Racer Zord swing a sword? Still, much let egregious than a whole cockpit-exclusive armour form.

"meet my new friends: Scrozzle and.. TRONICS!!!" best/worst line delivery ever xD

-"Virus eliminated" is a good post-battle catchphrase. Not too cheesy, and a fitting replacement for "shutdown confirmed".

Last edited by Timeline15; March 10th, 2019 at 04:29 AM.
Timeline15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 05:50 AM #179
> thekareemofwheat
Power Ranger

thekareemofwheat
Power Ranger

Not as good at the first one, but to be fair it was a lot to live up to.

- Looks like Devon's "This is just like a video game!' Is clearly gonna be this season's "epic".

- Ben and Betty made a MUCH better impression on me this episode, and they were the only blotch on the otherwise perfect season premier, IMO. They work for me because they actually contribute to the plot, and despite being bumblers, they were actually helpful to the Rangers.

- They kept their weaknesses from the Sentai, which works for me because it'd be a pain to have to work around that.

- Nice and simple morphing sequence

- Devon becoming the leader felt very organic. While Ravi and Zoey were at each other's throats during the fight, Devon kept his eyes on the ball, and later actually took the initiative and did some sleuthing to figure out why he froze up when he saw that dog

- The Beastbots/Buddyroids are pretty much unchanged from the Sentai, which I'm happy about.

Keep 'em coming, Hasboro: 4/5
thekareemofwheat is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 05:55 AM #180
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Mr. Underachiever wrote: View Post

I do like how Devon immediately thanked Ben and Betty for their help during the battle. They earned their keep and it makes them more than just goofy comedic relief.
I absolutely agree. It would've been glaring and weird if Devon didn't thank them, especially in an episode where he establishes his leader cred. And you know what? They feel like part of the team now, even if they might not be Rangers.

That's a refreshing set up for PR. Having non-Ranger allies goes a long way towards fleshing out the universe and it can be done so simply.
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
dont fear puppers, yummy carrot munch munch