Home Menu

Menu


View Poll Results:
0 0%
0 0%
7 2.86%
7 2.86%
44 17.96%
44 17.96%
121 49.39%
121 49.39%
73 29.80%
73 29.80%
Votes: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:34 PM #201
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,081
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,081



Me>>>>You wrote: View Post

You can be ambitious without being entitled and arrogant. She was actively arguing that she should be the leader based on her past organizing laundry instead of the dude who is the ONLY one of the 3 who got chosen to be a ranger and who clearly had more experience training. Ambition is simply wanting to be in that position one day. But arguing that you should be the leader right now, given the makeup and the history of this particular team, and then letting that effect your performance in the field pure arrogance. And that is not consistent with how she came off the only other time we saw her.

The fact that her only argument/reason for why she should be the leader is because she organized all of the agencies laundry shows how contrived this angle was for her character.
"Entitled"? Like...oh say Ravi who just assumed because he happened to be a ranger candidate he'd automatically be leader? Who's never actually even done laundry on his own, and yet you refer to Zoey as 'entitled'? Also we really don't know yet just how much extensive training the three candidates went through. Obviously some fight training, probably tactical work perhaps, but we actually haven't seen what Ravi is really capable of at that point. He was just one of the three, for all we know he got in with a mix of being pretty good and cause his mom runs the show. So a bit quick to assume he's just "so much better" than any else just cause he was one of the three. Sure, he's got some training under his belt above the others but a simulator isn't the same as the real deal and hell, he sure didn't handle himself like the "experienced, so much better than the rest" ranger he seemed to believe he was.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:36 PM #202
DriveMaxRed's Avatar
> DriveMaxRed
This is my city, got it?
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 79
DriveMaxRed
This is my city, got it?
DriveMaxRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 79



PlayingMonk wrote: View Post

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I was watching it. It's like she was acting out of character just because the plot called for it. She went from being humbled in the end of the last episode to wanting to be leader? You failed the test to become a ranger and the only reason you're on the team at all is literally dumb luck, of course you won't be leader!
She was booted because she had a second job, not because she failed. We have no idea how far she would have gone. For all we know, and n that alternate world, she was Red.

Glad Ravi got out in his place though. A job is a job.
DriveMaxRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:43 PM #203
Akumaru's Avatar
> Akumaru
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,075
Akumaru
Power Ranger
Akumaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,075



The Dynamic between villans is much interesthing, and something was really notace is the way Roxy tells to Blaze and Scrozzle good luck to them, she seems almost had funny with the situation, and Tronics were cool, nice they keep the foot soldiers from Go-Busters, and the Blaze always full of himself.

Evox consider himself not from the Cyber World and the all the place we came is full of that, and the "goingo with that creature" we and Evox really give goosbumbs, we can really saw some vibes from Venjix in RPM, it was perfect the astethic between Evox and Messiah Cell, anxious to see Evox imcorpotated the Messiah Cell Body.

Commander Shaw she dont had afraid to smile to the Rangers, the others Commanders were more strait to the orders to the Rangers, Shaw seems much diferent from them.

Interesthing Zoey was kick out from the Grid Battleforce academy because seems she do many thinks in the same time !!!
Akumaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:57 PM #204
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,204
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,204



PlayingMonk wrote: View Post

the only reason you're on the team at all is literally dumb luck, of course you won't be leader!
That exact sentence could be applied to Devon, who is now the leader.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 10th, 2019, 03:14 PM #205
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 30,135
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 30,135



AkaGreen wrote: View Post

That exact sentence could be applied to Devon, who is now the leader.
Maybe it's the downside of being an older fan, but for me, it was like, the episode went exactly the way it was always going to go. Contrived conflict over who gets to be the leader? Well Devon's wearing the red suit (and has the badass zord with the warrior mode, no less), so there was really only ever one way this was going to end. And the other two butting heads, before Devon being awarded leadership because of his ability to lead, happened exactly the way that everyone predicted it would.

Maybe that's the reason I didn't much care for the episode.

Although they've still got a lot of room to grow, I feel like they're at least attempting to integrate Ben and Betty into the stories better than Victor and Monty ever did (maybe that was an executive mandate, or they're learning a lesson from Ninja Steel), but the story still has to grind to a halt (so Ben and Betty can do something oh-so allegedly hilarious) for them to do their schtick.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 03:15 PM #206
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Hayate❤️💕
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,476
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Hayate❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,476



PlayingMonk wrote: View Post

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I was watching it. It's like she was acting out of character just because the plot called for it. She went from being humbled in the end of the last episode to wanting to be leader? You failed the test to become a ranger and the only reason you're on the team at all is literally dumb luck, of course you won't be leader!
No it wasn't literally dumb luck. Both her & Devon took the initiative to go to the lab and help. They were both holding their own quite well before they were given their powers. And given that in the end Devon was chosen to be the leader it kind of defeats the reasoning of seniority or training being the deciding factor. Leadership is not determined by how much you've trained using this equipment, it's about how well you can rally your team to accomplish your goals. And Reorganizing the entire GB Laundry department actually shows the main aspect of leadership quite well.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 10th, 2019, 03:36 PM #207
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,204
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,204



Peter wrote: View Post

Maybe it's the downside of being an older fan, but for me, it was like, the episode went exactly the way it was always going to go. Contrived conflict over who gets to be the leader? Well Devon's wearing the red suit (and has the badass zord with the warrior mode, no less), so there was really only ever one way this was going to end. And the other two butting heads, before Devon being awarded leadership because of his ability to lead, happened exactly the way that everyone predicted it would.
Yeah, I think everyone saw it coming. Red being the leader is no real surprise.

But, in the show's universe, he's not the leader just because he's in a red suit. He's the leader because he earned the title. And I like that they actually gave it a reason, even if it was predictable.

Although they've still got a lot of room to grow, I feel like they're at least attempting to integrate Ben and Betty into the stories better than Victor and Monty ever did (maybe that was an executive mandate, or they're learning a lesson from Ninja Steel), but the story still has to grind to a halt (so Ben and Betty can do something oh-so allegedly hilarious) for them to do their schtick.
To me, it flowed better in this episode because they actually helped. If they hadn't have stepped in, Devon wouldn't have been there in time to stop Ravi from killing Zoey, and then we'd be one ranger down. They served a purpose.

So, if we're stuck with a comedic duo, at least they're being used in the plot instead of pausing the episode to watch them do something unrelated. (Which, I'm sure will still happen sometimes, but baby steps.) I also stick with what I said about Ben and Betty being fun so far, but I can understand not liking them if you aren't into the whole "comedy duo" thing.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:08 PM #208
Me>>>>You's Avatar
> Me>>>>You
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 996
Me>>>>You
Power Ranger
Me>>>>You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 996



Alitain wrote: View Post

Not really. I agree with the others, it wasn't that out of character for what we've seen, which to be fair is very little. She's a person with drive and desires big things for herself. Even when being stuck doing laundry it was only so she's have another chance cause she believed strongly that she could make it happen.

It isn't a stretch at all for her to see an opportunity at leadership and jump for it(heh, jump, unintended pun...). Arrogance can come in degrees like most everything else. It took a certain amount of arrogance on her part to speak as she did with the Mayor in the premiere. That doesn't mean she's a bad person either. Hell, even here she wasn't really being a bad person; she was just going for a chance at big things and all that.

It definitely show cased her confidence. Hell, Shelby in DT is probably the only recent female ranger(well okay, Kendall too really) that I could believe would even step up to try for leadership in this kind of situation. Most of the others, for all that they're not weak characters or anything, likely wouldn't have done the same. But yeah, that confidence of herself did cause her trouble, but that's the point. Still wasn't really a stretch for the character.

Also the Boom analogy doesn't really work. Boom as a character never displayed any kind of traits one would believe would make sense for him trying to become team leader. Meanwhile Zoey displayed confidence in her abilities and a belief in striving for her goals and beyond that, which as I mentioned above, fit with her putting her hat in for leader.



Maybe the question should really how do you perceive Zoey is as a person, based just on the first episode? Cause it sort of feels like you're seeing the character differently from...like all the rest of us. Cause many of us here easily see how and why she'd go for leader but you seem to believe her character doesn't support this.

Also, the laundry bit is meant to be a kind of joke. But hell, even then if she could organize an entire department, regardless of it's laundry or something else, that shows potentially good qualities and shouldn't be dismissed, just as Ravi dismissed her. You act like just cause she was doing laundry before this it means she's not good enough.
I agree that arrogance comes in degrees. And this level of arrogance is too high given how they set her character up. Itís not just about her personality traits. Itís about her character as a whole and what they wrote her to be. There is nothing about her character that justifies her reasonably thinking she has a claim for the leadership role. And as a I said, going from verbally acknowledging that someone else should really be in her shoes right now to the very next episode staking your claim as leader seems inconsistent to me.

How do I perceive Zoey as a person? Well, the context of her character when we meet her is that sometime in the past she got cut as a cadet and has been working laundry for however long. She becomes a ranger by chance and accepts the role in about as humble of a way as Iíve seen. That context is my main issue with this story. Itís not because ď she was nice in episode 1 and now she is arrogant in episode 2Ē. Itís because her character is not set in a way that makes this make sense. I get that she was confident in the first episode, but that confidence shouldnít lead to her pushing this hard to be the leader all based off of organizing laundry. My views would be completely different if she was arguing a legit reason for being the leader. But without a legit reason, this just doesnít work for me. It worked for me in NS because Hunter had a legit claim with being the leader of his ranger duo. It worked for me in SPD because they set Sky up with his motives and intentions early and his character had top marks at SPD. It works for Ravi because he is the only one on the team who was actually picked to be a ranger and is the most experienced. It does not work for me with Zoey because Her character isnít set up in a way to where she has a legit claim and she was too humble in episode 1 for her to lose that humility over a non legit reason.

Iím not acting like just because she was doing laundry that means she isnít good enough. Iím acting like having a job doing laundry shouldnít be sited as a reason for why you should lead a ranger team.

Alitain wrote: View Post

"Entitled"? Like...oh say Ravi who just assumed because he happened to be a ranger candidate he'd automatically be leader? Who's never actually even done laundry on his own, and yet you refer to Zoey as 'entitled'? Also we really don't know yet just how much extensive training the three candidates went through. Obviously some fight training, probably tactical work perhaps, but we actually haven't seen what Ravi is really capable of at that point. He was just one of the three, for all we know he got in with a mix of being pretty good and cause his mom runs the show. So a bit quick to assume he's just "so much better" than any else just cause he was one of the three. Sure, he's got some training under his belt above the others but a simulator isn't the same as the real deal and hell, he sure didn't handle himself like the "experienced, so much better than the rest" ranger he seemed to believe he was.
He was entitled too as well as arrogant. They both were. But I donít have a problem with him doing it because he has a legit reason to be entitled. He was the only one of the 3 who got picked for this and the only one who had training.

Regardless of who you or I think ends up being the better ranger, the organization that they both now work for cut Zoey and kept Ravi. It is not unreasonable of Ravi to assume the leadership role would automatically go to him. Although he didnít carry himself well in the episode, he still had a more reasonable claim than either of the other two.

Last edited by Me>>>>You; March 10th, 2019 at 04:08 PM.
Me>>>>You is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:32 PM #209
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,512
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,512



Is anyone else curious who the Commander was going to choose as leader?

She kinda just ignored it after the team elected one. I know we're supposed to assume she was going to say Devon, but at the same time, the way she was saying things, I kinda assumed she was going to say that Nate would be better to lead them remotely or something.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:42 PM #210
Alitain's Avatar
> Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,081
Alitain
God of Benevolence
Alitain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 15,081



Me>>>>You wrote: View Post

I agree that arrogance comes in degrees. And this level of arrogance is too high given how they set her character up. Itís not just about her personality traits. Itís about her character as a whole and what they wrote her to be. There is nothing about her character that justifies her reasonably thinking she has a claim for the leadership role. And as a I said, going from verbally acknowledging that someone else should really be in her shoes right now to the very next episode staking your claim as leader seems inconsistent to me.

How do I perceive Zoey as a person? Well, the context of her character when we meet her is that sometime in the past she got cut as a cadet and has been working laundry for however long. She becomes a ranger by chance and accepts the role in about as humble of a way as Iíve seen. That context is my main issue with this story. Itís not because ď she was nice in episode 1 and now she is arrogant in episode 2Ē. Itís because her character is not set in a way that makes this make sense. I get that she was confident in the first episode, but that confidence shouldnít lead to her pushing this hard to be the leader all based off of organizing laundry. My views would be completely different if she was arguing a legit reason for being the leader. But without a legit reason, this just doesnít work for me. It worked for me in NS because Hunter had a legit claim with being the leader of his ranger duo. It worked for me in SPD because they set Sky up with his motives and intentions early and his character had top marks at SPD. It works for Ravi because he is the only one on the team who was actually picked to be a ranger and is the most experienced. It does not work for me with Zoey because Her character isnít set up in a way to where she has a legit claim and she was too humble in episode 1 for her to lose that humility over a non legit reason.

Iím not acting like just because she was doing laundry that means she isnít good enough. Iím acting like having a job doing laundry shouldnít be sited as a reason for why you should lead a ranger team.
Roxy just got corrupted by Evox and stuck in a coma/made into an evil avatar. OF COURSE Zoey is not going to be cheering for becoming a ranger instead, yeesh. It's a sad moment, even if it's great they're rangers it came at the sacrifice of others. You're basing your assumption on her character off one specific scene and not really taking in the whole picture. Zoey is a bold person who believes there is more for her out there and wants to do what she can to get it, as we saw earlier. Yes, she wasn't jumping for joy at becoming a ranger in that moment cause as I said above, it was a sad moment. Being happy would've been out of place. That doesn't negate her from ever being able to enjoy being a ranger or, now that she has the position, continue reaching for everything she wishes to. Which is completely within the character that we saw in that first episode. She's not losing humility just because she wants to become leader. By that way of thinking one would think you'd just want her to shut up and stay in the background, cause she better just be "humble" about being a ranger cause someone else was suppose to be instead of her. Not saying that's actually how you're thinking, but it felt like your bit above could be taken that way.

Okay, I'll give you that using Zoey's opportunity for putting herself out there for leadership for a joke wasn't entirely the best(despite loving the laundry burn against Ravi). But you have to look beyond just the joke. You say there's nothing about her that warrants her trying to become leader. So? She believes she can, and wants to try, that should be enough alone to at least put her hat in the ring no matter the outcome. Now, if lets say she had been made leader and the Commander joking said it was because of her exceptional laundry skills and that was the most we saw really of Zoey's actions in the episode, I'd be on your side. But that's not the case.

Here we have a person who's already been established as a go-getter, stepping up when an opportunity presents itself(again, totally within her character at this point). Yes, her "reason" is meant to be a joke, we all get it. But even then as mentioned before, such a task as organizing and maintaining any kind of department shouldn't just be brushed off because "oh it's just laundry". Don't think of it as just simply the joke and that's it. But even then, she has just as much right to present herself as an option for leadership as any one of the three. It's also not really about her saying the only reason she should be leader is because she rocked the laundry department. The laundry bit was a joke, but it was just meant to be the opening. The point was that she herself felt she could be leader. Because again, Zoey is a go-getter and reaches for big things. She's confident that she could be leader of the team, not solely because of her laundry experience, but because of herself as a person. But like with Ravi, yes things end up blowing up and they end up displaying themselves for the worse because of it. But that doesn't negate her belief in being able to /try/.

Just because Ravi has some training doesn't mean that no one else should bother trying for the role as well. Cause hey, his training meant jack when he proved himself clearly not suited for leadership and the "lesser trained" newbie Devon showed the qualities that actually would make a fine leader. It's one thing to just not like the laundry joke was a quality she gives for leadership, despite pointing out how it in fact can be taken as a positive, but you go beyond just saying you didn't like the joke or it's use in the context of the scene, and talk about her character as if this somehow doesn't fit, and of how she has no reason to even try because...well basically just because.


He was entitled too as well as arrogant. They both were. But I donít have a problem with him doing it because he has a legit reason to be entitled. He was the only one of the 3 who got picked for this and the only one who had training.

Regardless of who you or I think ends up being the better ranger, the organization that they both now work for cut Zoey and kept Ravi. It is not unreasonable of Ravi to assume the leadership role would automatically go to him. Although he didnít carry himself well in the episode, he still had a more reasonable claim than either of the other two.
My point with that particular comment was that no, Zoey wasn't entitled. Yeah she got arrogant, but entitled? No way. Ravi yes, totally entitled. We learned in the episode she was cut because she was splitting herself between that and another job, so for all intents and purposes she could've easily been just as good if not better than he was, but because her time was split and his wasn't, she got the axe. So pretty much, they're more or less on a level playing when it comes to "legitimacy" in trying to be leader. He maybe has clocked in some more hours of simulated battles than she has, but she clearly demonstrates other noteworthy skills through her behavior and work ethic. Again, Ravi's "more experience" really doesn't count for much more than bunk. Simulator battles, that's really it at this point. Unless we see more that showcases some notable difference, he doesn't have much of a leg up on the newbies. It's not like he's a veteran ranger or experienced soldier or something where he's had real experiences and action.

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

Is anyone else curious who the Commander was going to choose as leader?

She kinda just ignored it after the team elected one. I know we're supposed to assume she was going to say Devon, but at the same time, the way she was saying things, I kinda assumed she was going to say that Nate would be better to lead them remotely or something.
I mean, she's monitoring their actions in the field so I think she was going to go with Devon period. Nate would've only been an option if the show wanted to be silly and make another joke out of it, cause otherwise there would be no merit in giving him the job. So no, I'd say she was definitely going to go with Devon but held her tongue when they decided because it actually is better for her. The other teammates decided on the leader as opposed to her assigning one, goes along much smoother that way.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 04:48 PM #211
Kyle16's Avatar
> Kyle16
Figuring it out
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,971
Kyle16
Figuring it out
Kyle16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 15,971



saw the first two episodes. I had hope this season would be better with the new owners and whatnot, but ehh, it still feels like neo saban.
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 05:21 PM #212
Mr. Underachiever's Avatar
> Mr. Underachiever
Thenubucanplaywithoutside
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,839
Mr. Underachiever
Thenubucanplaywithoutside
Mr. Underachiever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,839



AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

Is anyone else curious who the Commander was going to choose as leader?

She kinda just ignored it after the team elected one. I know we're supposed to assume she was going to say Devon, but at the same time, the way she was saying things, I kinda assumed she was going to say that Nate would be better to lead them remotely or something.
No, the camera lingered on her when Devon was giving them that pep talk. That was clearly done to show she thought he should be leader.
Mr. Underachiever is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 06:36 PM #213
Me>>>>You's Avatar
> Me>>>>You
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 996
Me>>>>You
Power Ranger
Me>>>>You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 996



@Alitain

- Regardless of how sad the moment was, Zoey, who had been cut as a cadet, openly acknowledged that Roxy should be in that position and not her. Nothing you said takes away from the point that her acknowledging that showed great humility and an understanding that she wasnít the first choice. Also, Iím not basing my point on that one scene. I am basing it on that coupled with the brief history they told about her. Her lack of humility isnít just about her wanting to be leader. Itís her stupid reason she stated as to why she deserved it coupled with how she acted, along with Ravi, to prove that it should be her.....There is a large middle ground between one thinking she doesnít deserve to be leader and one thinking a character should shut up and stay in the background. Also, Zoey in the first episode expressed these big ideas about how to better use morph x, which sounds like will be the topic of one of her upcoming focus episodes. That is the way to follow up on the confidence she showed in the first episode, because it fits what they presented to us. This episode did not.

- Look beyond the joke? The joke is the only reason they had her present as to why she should be leader, so why look beyond it? Thatís part of the point. If you want to be leader then justify it in a reasonable way. The show didnít do that with her backstory (cut as a cadet) and Zoey didnít do that with her words (ďI organized laundry so pick meĒ). It would be different if they followed up on the point about Zoey getting cut partly because of her job and maybe showed her as one of the better cadets or someone doing as well or better than Ravi. That would actually present a valid reason for her actions this episode. But nope. We just get laundry.

- Yes, organizing laundry should be brushed off as ďoh itís just laundryĒ. She has just as much right to go for it, but when your qualifications are significantly inferior to the person you are in the running against then you need to defer. Especially when you know you werenít picked to be a ranger and he was. And especially when your big dreams, such as pushing for better ways to use morph x, donít require you to be the leader of the rangers to do it. Sheís not like Sky who was arrogant by nature, had top marks in everything, and had dreams of being the red ranger/leader so therefore he made a push for it. She is also not like Hunter who was a red ranger and leader of his own team, so he makes a push to be the leader by engaging in a pissing contest with Shane. She is someone who does not have a set up written for her to make this story make sense like the two rangers I just mentioned. NS and SPD did this $h!t better. Iím not going to pretend this makes sense for Zoey when I remember two seasons that ACTUALLY made this story flow well with their characters.

- Raviís training means he did have the best qualifications. How he acted in this episode shows he is flawed, but he still would have been the best choice.

- No....Zoey and Ravi werenít pretty much on a level playing field. Job or no job, she got cut and he didnít. If it was level then she would have been picked too. She missed out on the experience and training he had, as stated in the episode. You saying they are on a level playing field is objectively untrue.

- I like how you say Zoeyís history with grid battle force as the laundry lady shouldnít be brushed off as, ďoh itís just laundry ď, but then you immediately turn around and brush off Raviís history of being CHOSEN as a ranger as ďoh itís just training and experience ď.
Me>>>>You is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:03 PM #214
Angelbear01's Avatar
> Angelbear01
The Red Triforian Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,478
512
Angelbear01
The Red Triforian Ranger
Angelbear01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,478
512



It's bad enough whenever someone deals you a burn.
It's badder when that someone is your commander.
It's even more bad when that someone is your mom.
But it's worse when you've been dealt a burn by someone who just happens to be both your Commander and your mom!

All joking aside though, I love how quickly that Devon stepped up to the plate as a leader in this episode. And I think I detected a hint of playfulness in Zoey's voice when she yelled "Peekaboo!" just before kicking the giant robot across the city with the Jackrabbit Zord. With all of this being said, I'm highly impressed with where this is going!

This is the first time that I've ever participated in an actual discussion on PR episodes, but that's because I've always felt like there was just nothing there to really talk about during the whole Neo-Saban Era. I mean yeah there were a few good things about it, but to be honest, I think I'm liking what I'm seeing so far with the Hasbro Era. We've got a good team, a great commander.

The comic relief is done brilliantly by adding small dosages here and there. Not too little, not too much, but just right! Yeah, I'm loving this.
Angelbear01 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:24 PM #215
CheckeredRanger's Avatar
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,673
CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone
CheckeredRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,673



Watched it again.
What sorcery is this?How did we go from a season that I could not wait to finally be over to a season I can`t get enough of?!
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:28 PM #216
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Hayate❤️💕
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,476
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Hayate❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 29,476



CheckeredRanger wrote: View Post

Watched it again.
What sorcery is this?How did we go from a season that I could not wait to finally be over to a season I can`t get enough of?!
Don't worry... he's here to correct the ship...
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:53 PM #217
Titanium321's Avatar
> ⚡Titanium321
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,294
Titanium321
Moderator
Titanium321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,294



Me>>>>You wrote: View Post

You can be ambitious without being entitled and arrogant. She was actively arguing that she should be the leader based on her past organizing laundry instead of the dude who is the ONLY one of the 3 who got chosen to be a ranger and who clearly had more experience training. Ambition is simply wanting to be in that position one day. But arguing that you should be the leader right now, given the makeup and the history of this particular team, and then letting that effect your performance in the field pure arrogance. And that is not consistent with how she came off the only other time we saw her.

The fact that her only argument/reason for why she should be the leader is because she organized all of the agencies laundry shows how contrived this angle was for her character.
Could be. Not should be. Zoey said she had skills, using the laundry as a reference, and wasn't declaring that should make her defacto leader automatically just that she could be in the running just as well as anyone. Then it became a competitive thing and both her and Ravi took it to a "You aren't better than me" place. Specifically that Zoey seemed to have more of a chip on her shoulder about how Ravi scoffed at the idea she could even be a candidate, not that she assumed it could only be her.

Just because Ravi was already a chosen Ranger before they began, doesn't mean he was leadership material either. He was chosen for Blue, and seemed more entitled because he assumed that's all he needed to be declared leader, not any actual leadership qualities. And was avoiding acknowledging the "mommy is boss" angle too.

Again, there is a difference between "Could" and "Should". The conflict was over the idea of could, with Ravi not even entertaining the idea she could be, nothing about her assuming she should be. Devon gets it because he assumes nothing about who could or should, he just goes ahead and leads them into the job.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:54 PM #218
Goseired11's Avatar
> Goseired11
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,725
Goseired11
Power Ranger
Goseired11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,725



Going back and rewatching parts of the episode I noticed the music was really really good during the zord battle. I know Noam is working with Youseff on his part of the score and the music in that scene definitely sounded like Youseffís touch as opposed to Noam.
Goseired11 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:55 PM #219
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,204
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,204



Xenotome wrote: View Post

Don't worry... he's here to correct the ship...
https://i.imgflip.com/2vq7fo.jpg
The idea of him giving any advice while he was there is terrifying.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:58 PM #220
Allio's Avatar
> Allio
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,162
Allio
Power Ranger
Allio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,162



AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

Honestly, the scene in Go-Busters was MORE tame then the scene in this episode. I think people are mixing up times Blue went berserk. I watched this episode to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

The only thing they really cut out was Blue throwing the monster in the air and impaling him with his sword, which destroyed him, then pushing Yellow up against the wall by her neck and punching a hole in the wall beside her. (after which he says not to get in his way) (Which would NEVER have passed the FCC for a kids show). This wasn't the episode Blue tried to kill Yellow in Go-Busters. It's the episode he told her to stay out of his way.

They replaced it with him shooting Yellow with his blaster and implying he's about to kill her, which, at least to me, is a bit more extreme.

Personally, I think they should've kept Blue destroying the monster in the episode, because Devon killing him with a simple shot from his blaster made zero sense, cause Blue and Yellow shot him multiple times with their blasters.

Yes, it was a bit graphic, but we've had graphic monster deaths before.

Like I get what you are getting at, but I think what really sells the Ryuji scene is the tone. It all comes down to the change in music, the change in voice, the change in personality, to even the dramatic long winded "don't do it."

What really sold the ryuuji scene was the way that even the monster was panicking from from the beatdown and even telling Blue Buster to stop. It's like when Ex-aid just curbstomped Para-dx. It was like Blue Buster from that moment was playing the role of the bad guy. It leaves a huge impact.

The whole scene is also very reminiscent of body horror where Ryuji doesn't have control over himself, or at least a little. And even when Overheat could have killed Yoko and he didn't shows his dominance rather than just threatening and it may have been "Overheat" playing with Yoko or it could have been what little of Ryuji was left in there.


As for Ravi? I know I joke he just sounds "just slightly more irritable" but the tone of the scene really doesn't capture what really made Ryuji the "bad guy" as the important pieces (like music) really didn't sell the semi-esque body horror. I mean of course the show could get more later, but this episode just didn't sell it correctly.

Personally I just think Overheating should have been saved for it's own episode, I mean the concept behind it has so much more potential more than freezing or losing energy.

Think of it the way that Hazard was. What sold the scene was the music, the tone, the beat down, everything. If it was just cut down to just a couple of clips with the same music as the rest of the show, it wouldn't work.


Rewatching the scene again, and there is a slight music change, but because of the whole scene going by fast it doesn't feel like it sticks around enough to create a tone that should have worked for Overheating. the music seems to go back to normal as soon as Zoey interacts with Ravi.

Now of course this is opinionated as the many elements I have mentioned are subjective to each individual

Last edited by Allio; March 10th, 2019 at 10:46 PM.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
dont fear puppers, yummy carrot munch munch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.