73 29.80%
Votes: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 10th, 2019, 05:55 AM #181
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Mr. Underachiever wrote: View Post

I do like how Devon immediately thanked Ben and Betty for their help during the battle. They earned their keep and it makes them more than just goofy comedic relief.
I absolutely agree. It would've been glaring and weird if Devon didn't thank them, especially in an episode where he establishes his leader cred. And you know what? They feel like part of the team now, even if they might not be Rangers.

That's a refreshing set up for PR. Having non-Ranger allies goes a long way towards fleshing out the universe and it can be done so simply.
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 06:04 AM #182
> PlayingMonk
D'ohmer Simpson

PlayingMonk
D'ohmer Simpson

Generic "rangers need to learn the power of teamwork" Power Rangers episode. 3/5
PlayingMonk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 08:48 AM #183
> Me>>>>You
Power Ranger

Me>>>>You
Power Ranger

This was a “fair” episode. We get these kind of leader/team work episodes often as the episode immediately following the premiere and overall I would say this wasn’t any better or worse than previous stories of this type. My big issue with it was that they made Zoey act out of character for the sake of this one episode. Nothing in the premiere made me think she would be this arrogant. Ravi was the only one of the 3 chosen to be rangers and Zoey fully knows this. She was very humbled by the opportunity to just be a ranger and not be in laundry anymore in the first episode but now she thinks she should be leader? I don’t buy that at all.

What saves this episode for me is two things. First, I thought all the villain stuff was really good and they seem to be setting up some future conflict between the baddies, which I love. The other thing I liked was this episode had some purpose. A lot of the previous seasons felt like every episode was a filler. Hopefully that “filler” feeling will continue to not be present.
Me>>>>You is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 10:33 AM #184
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

Me>>>>You wrote: View Post

My big issue with it was that they made Zoey act out of character for the sake of this one episode. Nothing in the premiere made me think she would be this arrogant. Ravi was the only one of the 3 chosen to be rangers and Zoey fully knows this. She was very humbled by the opportunity to just be a ranger and not be in laundry anymore in the first episode but now she thinks she should be leader? I don’t buy that at all.
Despite her saying Roxy should be here, given this is the same girl who pulled the Mayor aside to pitch herself I don't think it's a big leap that Zoey would want to prove herself.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:33 AM #185
> Mr. Underachiever
Thenubucanplaywithoutside

Mr. Underachiever

My big issue with it was that they made Zoey act out of character for the sake of this one episode. Nothing in the premiere made me think she would be this arrogant. Ravi was the only one of the 3 chosen to be rangers and Zoey fully knows this. She was very humbled by the opportunity to just be a ranger and not be in laundry anymore in the first episode but now she thinks she should be leader? I don’t buy that at all.
This was the same Zoey who ran into action when Grid Battleforce was being evacuated.

There was nothing out of character about her behavior.
Mr. Underachiever is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:33 AM #186
> Brown Ranger
Que Boom!

Brown Ranger
Que Boom!

Hilarious writing on this episode. The commander chides out Ravi for never have done a piece of laundry in his life.
Brown Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:54 AM #187
> Me>>>>You
Power Ranger

Me>>>>You
Power Ranger

GokaiGold wrote: View Post

Despite her saying Roxy should be here, given this is the same girl who pulled the Mayor aside to pitch herself I don't think it's a big leap that Zoey would want to prove herself.
Her introducing herself and saying what her ideas for the future are isn’t being arrogant like she was in this episode. Going from “Roxy should be here to protect the city, not me” to “I deserve to be the leader” in a one episode span might not be a stretch to you, but it is to me.

This was the same Zoey who ran into action when Grid Battleforce was being evacuated.

There was nothing out of character about her behavior.
Running into the action is brave. That has nothing to do with the arrogance and entitlement she showed in this episode. Having Zoey behave like this would be like Boom actually becoming the orange ranger and then immediately thinking he should be leader over Jack or Sky.
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:30 PM #188
> J_S_P
Karate and Friendship

J_S_P
Karate and Friendship

This was an okay episode.

Strengths:

I enjoyed the zord scenes and that we didn't just go, "hey, the zords exist" at the end of the episode and give them the full megazord.

Ben and Betty at the fight was an okay way to incorporate them semi-meaningfully.

I appreciated that the others agreed on Devon as leader for legitimate reasons, rather than repeating the "rookie randomly assigned as leader" trope.

The fight scene was fun and furthered the episode's story instead of being boring and full of generic lines.

Weaknesses:

The episode felt a little jumbled. We had introducing the zords, competing to be leader, and the weaknesses as threads, and none of them seemed that fully formed.

It felt weird that Zoey, who seemed confident but reasonable, felt she needed to be leader. The neopotism angle would have felt more natural if she and Ravi had been on equal footing as Rangers chosen for the team.

The first Ben and Betty scene was godawful writing. They walked in, took over the scene with the ba-ba-dum music, and then the rest of the cast just carried on as if they weren't even there.

We're still seeing the captain obvious dialogue. "I can't move!" "I'm still frozen!"

3/5.
J_S_P is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:33 PM #189
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Her introducing herself and saying what her ideas for the future are isn’t being arrogant like she was in this episode. Going from “Roxy should be here to protect the city, not me” to “I deserve to be the leader” in a one episode span might not be a stretch to you, but it is to me.

Running into the action is brave. That has nothing to do with the arrogance and entitlement she showed in this episode. Having Zoey behave like this would be like Boom actually becoming the orange ranger and then immediately thinking he should be leader over Jack or Sky.

I took it a different way.

It's not like she claimed the title of leader, like Ravi did. She just said maybe Commander wasn't talking about him.

That's when Ravi insulted her, and probably gave her a reason to want to prove herself. It wasn't about being arrogant, it was about proving that she was just as capable of being a leader as Ravi.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:35 PM #190
> Mr. Underachiever

Mr. Underachiever

No. We knew Boom was, while well-intentioned, a goofball from the beginning. They've established Zoey as someone with a lot of ambition. They even mentioned she was trying to be a cadet at Grid Battleforce and work another job. She's exactly the kind of person who would want to handle a lot of responsibility.
Mr. Underachiever is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 12:58 PM #191
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Hayate❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Hayate❤️💕

It's kind of silly to expect because a person has a positive trait they would never go against it to act like any other human being. Ravi challenged her and insulted her because she said "How do you know it's going to be you?" so of course there's some competitive nature after that. You can't really expect the short time we spent with her in Episode 1 to be her personality at all times.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:00 PM #192
> Me>>>>You
Power Ranger

Me>>>>You
Power Ranger

You can be ambitious without being entitled and arrogant. She was actively arguing that she should be the leader based on her past organizing laundry instead of the dude who is the ONLY one of the 3 who got chosen to be a ranger and who clearly had more experience training. Ambition is simply wanting to be in that position one day. But arguing that you should be the leader right now, given the makeup and the history of this particular team, and then letting that effect your performance in the field pure arrogance. And that is not consistent with how she came off the only other time we saw her.

The fact that her only argument/reason for why she should be the leader is because she organized all of the agencies laundry shows how contrived this angle was for her character.
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:00 PM #193
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

KRDK wrote: View Post

Funny thing is that there was some lettuce next to the carrot when Nate handed Zoey it.
The lettuce he had is actually worse than carrots for Rabbits, as it has no nutritional value. As I said before, technically speaking, carrots are a good replacement for candy in this regard, as they are a treat for rabbits as they're high in sugar. So they are good for a burst of energy. (And baby carrots will be easy to superimpose over Yoko/Jax's candy in sentai footage) And carrots are much easier to carry around, and for the actress, personally I'd trust eating a carrot being in my pouch for an hour than a piece of lettuce or such.

FlameDragon wrote: View Post

i never saw the Ryuji scene in Go-Busters only until after watching this episode, and i think they did a great job drama wise with how they handled the scene with their weaknesses. oh course the Go-Busters version was WAY more intense with Ryuji single handedly killing the monster and straight up punching Yoko. but for a PG version, this episode still did a good job showing Ravi angry and attacking his teammates. i still hope they could intensify the drama more, but even having Ravi go bananas(pun intended) at all i think is a good start.

the dialogue for the Evil Rangers/Ravi in rage mode is better than the monsters. the monster dialogue is about what you expect from a power rangers show, but Blaze has some dialogue that sound way more threatening in comparison.
Honestly, the scene in Go-Busters was MORE tame then the scene in this episode. I think people are mixing up times Blue went berserk. I watched this episode to make sure I wasn't imagining things.

The only thing they really cut out was Blue throwing the monster in the air and impaling him with his sword, which destroyed him, then pushing Yellow up against the wall by her neck and punching a hole in the wall beside her. (after which he says not to get in his way) (Which would NEVER have passed the FCC for a kids show). This wasn't the episode Blue tried to kill Yellow in Go-Busters. It's the episode he told her to stay out of his way.

They replaced it with him shooting Yellow with his blaster and implying he's about to kill her, which, at least to me, is a bit more extreme.

Personally, I think they should've kept Blue destroying the monster in the episode, because Devon killing him with a simple shot from his blaster made zero sense, cause Blue and Yellow shot him multiple times with their blasters.

Yes, it was a bit graphic, but we've had graphic monster deaths before.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:21 PM #194
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

And that is not consistent with how she came off the only other time we saw her.
Did you ever think this could just be another part of her personality? She's ambitious and nice, but she can also get competitive at times when challenged. That's not so hard to believe.

She doesn't have to be one note.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:32 PM #195
> Me>>>>You
Power Ranger

Me>>>>You
Power Ranger

Xenotome wrote: View Post

It's kind of silly to expect because a person has a positive trait they would never go against it to act like any other human being. Ravi challenged her and insulted her because she said "How do you know it's going to be you?" so of course there's some competitive nature after that. You can't really expect the short time we spent with her in Episode 1 to be her personality at all times.
She wanted the role before he “insulted” her, and she really insulted him first by implying that he only expects the leadership role due to nepotism.

It’s not that I never expect her to act different than how we first saw her; it’s just that you need to be consistent with your characters and have them go in a direction that makes sense. This story does not make sense for how they set up Zoey. Zoey behaving this way was completely contrived, which is why the reason the writers gave for her bid as leader was simply her doing laundry.

Compare this to past seasons episodes where there was leadership conflict. Shane and Hunter from NS had a similar conflict (they even had a similar scene about the morph call) , but that felt natural for both characters because they were both leaders of their respective teams and now were having to find a way to work together and figure out who should lead. SPD is another example of doing this kind of story in a way that flowed well. It made complete sense that Sky thought he should be the leader with how they set his character up from the beginning. Neither season did this in a contrived way, and yet BM had to reach to make this happen because they never set Zoey up as someone who could reasonably behave like this. If they did set this up correctly, then they would give a better reason than “laundry” as to why she is arguing for the role.
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:32 PM #196
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

Man, the episode did so many things right...

It's only the second episode yet:
- it followed up on the previous one
- introduced Beast Bots and Zords
- introduced villains AND foreshadowed future villains
- had a filler-episode-type problem
- had time to incorporate the comic-relief properly

Honestly, I loved it! The weaknesses are a bit...weird, even if they did come from Sentai. Especially the dog thing (chicken in Go-Busters), the other two I don't mind so much. I like the explanation that they are a result of Evox's tampering, but I would've left it at that probably and make them come out at random, rather than...having to see a dog.
I'm not thrilled with the Beast Bot voices, sans Kelson, but I'll get used to them for sure.

Definitely a great episode though, keep it up, Beast Morphers!
Red Dino Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:37 PM #197
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Decade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Reminding people of this rule:

1) Do NOT ask for downloads. Hasbro does not want us posting episode encodes here, so you're not allowed to talk about them at all. You will be warned at first, but repeated asking will result in an infraction. Episodes go live legally on Nick's app in the US, and can be watched there.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 01:46 PM #198
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Commander Shaw had really diferent dynamic with the Rangers and dont afraid to ask the Rangers which they want, I liked when she was going to going almost to ask which and Zoey and Ravi, and both choise Devon to leade them !!!
Akumaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:28 PM #199
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Not really. I agree with the others, it wasn't that out of character for what we've seen, which to be fair is very little. She's a person with drive and desires big things for herself. Even when being stuck doing laundry it was only so she's have another chance cause she believed strongly that she could make it happen.

It isn't a stretch at all for her to see an opportunity at leadership and jump for it(heh, jump, unintended pun...). Arrogance can come in degrees like most everything else. It took a certain amount of arrogance on her part to speak as she did with the Mayor in the premiere. That doesn't mean she's a bad person either. Hell, even here she wasn't really being a bad person; she was just going for a chance at big things and all that.

It definitely show cased her confidence. Hell, Shelby in DT is probably the only recent female ranger(well okay, Kendall too really) that I could believe would even step up to try for leadership in this kind of situation. Most of the others, for all that they're not weak characters or anything, likely wouldn't have done the same. But yeah, that confidence of herself did cause her trouble, but that's the point. Still wasn't really a stretch for the character.

Also the Boom analogy doesn't really work. Boom as a character never displayed any kind of traits one would believe would make sense for him trying to become team leader. Meanwhile Zoey displayed confidence in her abilities and a belief in striving for her goals and beyond that, which as I mentioned above, fit with her putting her hat in for leader.

She wanted the role before he “insulted” her, and she really insulted him first by implying that he only expects the leadership role due to nepotism.

It’s not that I never expect her to act different than how we first saw her; it’s just that you need to be consistent with your characters and have them go in a direction that makes sense. This story does not make sense for how they set up Zoey. Zoey behaving this way was completely contrived, which is why the reason the writers gave for her bid as leader was simply her doing laundry.

Compare this to past seasons episodes where there was leadership conflict. Shane and Hunter from NS had a similar conflict (they even had a similar scene about the morph call) , but that felt natural for both characters because they were both leaders of their respective teams and now were having to find a way to work together and figure out who should lead. SPD is another example of doing this kind of story in a way that flowed well. It made complete sense that Sky thought he should be the leader with how they set his character up from the beginning. Neither season did this in a contrived way, and yet BM had to reach to make this happen because they never set Zoey up as someone who could reasonably behave like this. If they did set this up correctly, then they would give a better reason than “laundry” as to why she is arguing for the role.
Maybe the question should really how do you perceive Zoey is as a person, based just on the first episode? Cause it sort of feels like you're seeing the character differently from...like all the rest of us. Cause many of us here easily see how and why she'd go for leader but you seem to believe her character doesn't support this.

Also, the laundry bit is meant to be a kind of joke. But hell, even then if she could organize an entire department, regardless of it's laundry or something else, that shows potentially good qualities and shouldn't be dismissed, just as Ravi dismissed her. You act like just cause she was doing laundry before this it means she's not good enough.

Last edited by Alitain; March 10th, 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 02:30 PM #200
> PlayingMonk
D'ohmer Simpson

PlayingMonk
D'ohmer Simpson

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I was watching it. It's like she was acting out of character just because the plot called for it. She went from being humbled in the end of the last episode to wanting to be leader? You failed the test to become a ranger and the only reason you're on the team at all is literally dumb luck, of course you won't be leader!
PlayingMonk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
dont fear puppers, yummy carrot munch munch