Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:52 PM #161
Titanium321's Avatar
> ⚡Titanium321
Moderator
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,975
Titanium321
Moderator
Titanium321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,975



Decade wrote: View Post

It's like expecting Xbox to have compatibility with Playstation. It's just too different.
Isn't it more like expecting Xbox One to play Xbox 360 games though? Its understandable for something like a cartridge or game card to not play on a disc player, but a disc player not playing older discs seems weird. Like I don't expect a Blu Ray player to play VHS, but I expect it to play a DVD because of the similar tech involved.

I think it stems from being such a common thing for so long between the modern systems to be backwards compatible. Whenever something isn't backwards now, it causes uproar. I remember backwards compatibility issues being a big deal at the beginning of this gen of consoles but not how that resolved with anyone.

Internutt wrote: View Post

If there was ever a generation to start fresh for Nintendo, this is the one.
Why does it need to start fresh?

Decade wrote: View Post

My parents never had issue with it. Were people planning to trash or giveaway their old consoles?

I value my old consoles. I wouldn't want to give them up.
There's always the trade-in value. A lot of people don't value their old consoles, once the new one comes out they hock the old one and any games they have to get the trade in towards the expensive new version.

Respecting and valuing electronics is a rather rare skill in the real world. That's why skynet hates us.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:15 PM #162
> The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 833
The Golden Witch
Bow Before Your Queen
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 833



I was suddenly reminded of these drinks that my school sells.

The Golden Witch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:26 PM #163
zjranger's Avatar
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,631
zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime
zjranger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,631



Talking about only 1 screen, I wonder how would they do it now in Pokemon's games as they use the 2 screens of (3)DS to expand it's visual experience -- top screen usually the overview, the bottom are special features or menus (particularly during battles). Will it be like Colosseum where the attacks would now be visible in-front while the overview is happening the background? Will not be pleased if the top part of the screen will be a bit crammed again.
zjranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:34 PM #164
Tsukasa's Avatar
> Tsukasa
Power Ranger
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 2,757
Tsukasa
Power Ranger
Tsukasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 2,757



zjranger wrote: View Post

Talking about only 1 screen, I wonder how would they do it now in Pokemon's games as they use the 2 screens of (3)DS to expand it's visual experience -- top screen usually the overview, the bottom are special features or menus (particularly during battles). Will it be like Colosseum where the attacks would now be visible in-front while the overview is happening the background? Will not be pleased if the top part of the screen will be a bit crammed again.
The DS games on the WiiU have both screens showing on the GamePad.
They could probably do that same seeing as the Switch has a bigger screen.
Tsukasa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:39 PM #165
ultrakill's Avatar
> ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,026
ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com
ultrakill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,026



Decade wrote: View Post

I have to explain the same thing to EBgames aka Gamestop, about why I don't do trade ins. They ask that every time.
I hate their scripted trade-in lines. Because I'm never going to do it. I have always valued having physical games. I'm still irked that NA never got a physical version of Fatal Frame 5 for Wii-U. As much as I like physical copies, I also like discounts, and even though I'll never do it, at least I still have the option of someone buying it off of me.

And speaking of compatibility, have you guys ever heard of the RetronN 5?

http://hyperkin.com/Retron5/

It's a 5-in-one cartridge console (they say 10 because they include the japanese variations). My brother has it and it's pretty cool to be able to play our old games on a single console. It's practically a hardware version of an emulator but using actual cartridges.
ultrakill is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:44 PM #166
Decade's Avatar
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1
Decade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
Decade's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1



Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Isn't it more like expecting Xbox One to play Xbox 360 games though? Its understandable for something like a cartridge or game card to not play on a disc player, but a disc player not playing older discs seems weird. Like I don't expect a Blu Ray player to play VHS, but I expect it to play a DVD because of the similar tech involved.
No, I made that comparison to make the point of how different the systems are. Whereas people may still see 360 & X1 being very similar or the same entirely.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:47 PM #167
hasso_opitz's Avatar
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899
hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
hasso_opitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899



Decade wrote: View Post

No, I made that comparison to make the point of how different the systems are. Whereas people may still see 360 & X1 being very similar or the same entirely.
I think it's just in the Nintendo world the previous system works with the new one more often than not. The average consumer says "oh. It doesn't this time?" It isn't required but for the average consumer, it's nice. Like blu-ray/DVD combos.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 03:56 PM #168
Decade's Avatar
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1
Decade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
Decade's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1



hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

I think it's just in the Nintendo world the previous system works with the new one more often than not. The average consumer says "oh. It doesn't this time?" It isn't required but for the average consumer, it's nice. Like blu-ray/DVD combos.
Only on handheld, barely on main console. If people expect the Switch to support Wii-U & 3DS, why can't they also expect it also support Wii, DS, or even older?

By that logic, people who want to trade in their consoles, but want to replay older games they have wouldn't be able to if Nintendo only went back 1 generation.

I don't support backwards compatibility, it's just pointless. If you want to hold onto your games like myself, keep the system around. If you're going to trade it all in, sell, or give it all away, it's an all or nothing move.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:08 PM #169
The Plastic Ranger's Avatar
> The Plastic Ranger
! Rejoice !
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,440
The Plastic Ranger
! Rejoice !
The Plastic Ranger's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,440



Wii came out in 2006. So for 10 years, we've had the Virtual Console, allowing us to play NES/SNES/N64 games.

If the Switch doesn't have the Virtual Console, it will be a huge letdown for me, and I'd assume a lot of other people.
The Plastic Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:13 PM #170
Titanium321's Avatar
> ⚡Titanium321
Moderator
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,975
Titanium321
Moderator
Titanium321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,975



Decade wrote: View Post

No, I made that comparison to make the point of how different the systems are. Whereas people may still see 360 & X1 being very similar or the same entirely.
That similarity is what I was trying to get at. People see them as similar enough there should be backwards compatibility. At least one generation backwards is what most people expect because of a combination of the similarities and entitled consumer behavior. The consumer is sold on the idea the new gen is going to be better than the last gen, and then naturally assumes that should be able to play those games as well because its the same thing only better. You can play older CDs on newer CD players, for example. The average consumer doesn't really know better than that and often gets mad. Especially parents who buy the wrong generation game because its cheaper.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:13 PM #171
Decade's Avatar
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1
Decade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
Decade's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1



The Plastic Ranger wrote: View Post

Wii came out in 2006. So for 10 years, we've had the Virtual Console, allowing us to play NES/SNES/N64 games.

If the Switch doesn't have the Virtual Console, it will be a huge letdown for me, and I'd assume a lot of other people.
But that required you to re-purchase the games no? But that's not exactly backwards compatibility.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:23 PM #172
Titanium321's Avatar
> ⚡Titanium321
Moderator
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,975
Titanium321
Moderator
Titanium321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,975



The Plastic Ranger wrote: View Post

Wii came out in 2006. So for 10 years, we've had the Virtual Console, allowing us to play NES/SNES/N64 games.

If the Switch doesn't have the Virtual Console, it will be a huge letdown for me, and I'd assume a lot of other people.
It'll definitely have a VC, it's got to at this point. Xbox and Sony have a competing function, and they've pushed it so hard already it'd be dumb to just cut it out now. It's all connected to the Nintendo account now anyway.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:35 PM #173
ultrakill's Avatar
> ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,026
ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com
ultrakill's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,026



Titanium321 wrote: View Post

It'll definitely have a VC, it's got to at this point. Xbox and Sony have a competing function, and they've pushed it so hard already it'd be dumb to just cut it out now. It's all connected to the Nintendo account now anyway.
I think the main issue would be functionality as buttons would have to be remapped. Most likely you'd have to rebuy.
ultrakill is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:39 PM #174
hasso_opitz's Avatar
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899
hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
hasso_opitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899



Decade wrote: View Post

Only on handheld, barely on main console. If people expect the Switch to support Wii-U & 3DS, why can't they also expect it also support Wii, DS, or even older?

By that logic, people who want to trade in their consoles, but want to replay older games they have wouldn't be able to if Nintendo only went back 1 generation.

I don't support backwards compatibility, it's just pointless. If you want to hold onto your games like myself, keep the system around. If you're going to trade it all in, sell, or give it all away, it's an all or nothing move.
The last two consoles played the previous one, so before Switch was announced I'd say Wii U games may work somehow. As I said, it isn't required but if you were a marketing company you wouldn't say "being able to play more games is a negative. Don't do it".

No one should expect it to play older games than the previous generation because it hasn't been done. The expectation doesn't exist. However, again, majority of people wouldn't say that is a negative. Backwards compatibility is far from pointless. I don't want 10 systems in my home on display. I like space. I like my living room to be for everyone, as I live with someone else and have guests often.

I feel like you're almost angry that someone would want to get rid of an old system. I believe the majority of gamers would honestly prefer to have a hidden box, one controller and the ability to simply play any game they own with a finger snap.

I sold my PS1 to buy more PS2 games. If anything, it's more pointless and less cost effective to hold onto my PS1 when I owned a PS2. Everyone has their preferences but to prefer a system to lack extra features is bizarre.

Having said that, I believe Famitsu announced Switch won't have a disc reader.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:45 PM #175
Decade's Avatar
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1
Decade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
Decade's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1



hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

I feel like you're almost angry that someone would want to get rid of an old system. I believe the majority of gamers would honestly prefer to have a hidden box, one controller and the ability to simply play any game they own with a finger snap.
No, I think people are just upset over something that's pointless. Like people being upset over Apple removing the headphone jack.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 04:51 PM #176
hasso_opitz's Avatar
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899
hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45
hasso_opitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 21,899



Decade wrote: View Post

No, I think people are just upset over something that's pointless. Like people being upset over Apple removing the headphone jack.
Being upset that the Switch isn't backwards compatible and calling the feature itself pointless is different. I'm not sure who is upset over it but I am certainly not. I just know I'll use the Wii U less, if at all, once the Switch arrives at my door. 9/10 my gaming systems are for Netflix and Hulu haha.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 05:01 PM #177
Decade's Avatar
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1
Decade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER
Decade's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 32,662
1



hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

Being upset that the Switch isn't backwards compatible and calling the feature itself pointless is different. I'm not sure who is upset over it but I am certainly not. I just know I'll use the Wii U less, if at all, once the Switch arrives at my door. 9/10 my gaming systems are for Netflix and Hulu haha.
I'd play Wii-U & 3DS games the same amount whether or not the games are backwards compatible.

And who knows, for all we know, this is just what's being offered as the base package. They might sell a separate touch-screen controller/adapter that will take Wii-U discs & or 3DS cartridges.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 06:09 PM #178
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 14,807
TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 14,807



On the topic of backwards compatibility: my take is to future proof all my games and saves...because I know that old hardware breaks down.

As a console gets older, it becomes harder to find replacement consoles or parts (if you happen to have a skillset that allows for DIY maintenance). And over time the manufacturing companies will start shutting down support services that can assist in any breakdowns.

As such, backwards compatibility would be the way to go: all your old games and saves can be transferred to a new piece of hardware.

But nowadays things have been leaning more towards HD ports of older games since BC isn't as ubiquitous a feature anymore. In my case, I ended up getting the Final Fantasy X HD remaster simply because my PS2 broke down and can't play my original copy. Sucks that I have to restart from the beginning but I at least have the game. Conversely, I had no desire to get Zelda: Wind Waker HD on the WiiU because not only do I still have my original copy but also my GameCube and Wii still work fine.

Also there is the perk of introducing newer generation of gamers to older games without making them go through the trouble of tracking down older copies of the original game or picking up an older console.

It's either that or throw it out in the trash. Which would kind of be a waste.

Tigran wrote: View Post

So by your logic, FF7 and up shouldnt exist?
...I have no idea why it "not existing" is relevant nor why you pulled that from the aether.

But anyways last I checked...yeah people were kind of pissed that FFVII was a PS1 exclusive.

A game that had long been a mainstay on Nintendo consoles suddenly switching to a newcomer to not just the console market but to video games in general? Yeah people had every reason to be suspicious and pissed.

Even more damning when, years later, Square was initially developing what would become FFVII on the N64.

Although it's not the case anymore considering Square is going all in on the multiplatform releases for their big games. Including PC since, y'know, they probably realized that their old school fans own a decent PC.

Tsukasa wrote: View Post

Your argument doesn't work.
No it seems like you didn't actually bothered to read my argument at all.

The examples you listed are of sequels on consoles from the same brand. Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One. that's a practice that makes sense. Especially with a built in audience who knows what to expect and knws their favorite console exclusive games will be on the same console. Halo 1 and 2 being on the Xbox and then Halo 3 being on Xbox 360 makes sense to happen.

Bayonetta 2 moving from Xbox 360 and PS3 to WiiU is NOT the same thing. And I have no idea why you're arguing that it somehow is.

Not that it matters to me since I never liked the first Bayonetta game. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was more of my jam when it came to Platinum Games-branded fast paced third person action games.

Internutt wrote: View Post

Also, as for Bayonetta. I hope a third game is released as a Switch exclusive along with a remaster of the first 2. Just to rub salt into the wounds of the so called fans bitter that only Nintendo had the business sense to fund Platinum's dream game.
And it's this arrogant and smug sense of superiority that I find so distasteful in Nintendo fans.

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

It's not that hard to just use the second screen as just that, playing what was on the TV on the controller screen or just as your menu screen. It would have been easy to port games that way.
...you really have no idea how game development works?

A lot of things could go wrong. Having one bit of code interact with another can cause unexpected bugs and crashes. Code in general can be weird and do unexpected things and it can take ages to fix.

So no. Slapping the pause menu on the tablet would not be that simple.

Even then, looking at the reasons given by Ubisoft why the delay for Watch_Dogs even happened, it was because they discovered that the engine used to run the game was incompatible with the WiiU hardware. That they would almost have to overhaul the entire game just to get it to run on a WiiU.

Don't underestimate how lazy game developers can be, especially if the company won't pay it's programmers to make a new port but still expects them to do it.
And this is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the WiiU version of Watch_Dogs.

Last edited by TeraMan; October 21st, 2016 at 06:15 PM.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 06:44 PM #179
Titanium321's Avatar
> ⚡Titanium321
Moderator
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,975
Titanium321
Moderator
Titanium321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,975



tasti man LH wrote: View Post

...you really have no idea how game development works?

A lot of things could go wrong. Having one bit of code interact with another can cause unexpected bugs and crashes. Code in general can be weird and do unexpected things and it can take ages to fix.
As far as how to actually program things? No. But you said "blank screen" and I gave a suggested answer as for what to do because it's something a lot of things do with the screen. It seems like the easiest answer to "what do to with the pad" if a game doesn't want to incorporate it into gameplay and comparatively easy to do as far as programming goes, as least it seems like it'd be easier to program than other things.

I assume things can go wrong, but that's part of the job isn't it? Writing Code and Fixing it when it doesn't work, even if it takes time and effort. Is that unusual or something?

And this is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the WiiU version of Watch_Dogs.
I wasn't really talking about specifically Watch Dogs as much as just a work around the Game Pad in general and commenting on a couple of problems in the industry such as lazy/easy programming and companies that don't care about quality or paying their programmers properly.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:02 PM #180
> OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,114
OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,114



Is worried now an don't know if I will or will not buy this system!
OmniMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
itprintsmoney!, switchitup, uhuhuh, why a mini?

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:22 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.