Home Menu

Menu

Old October 21st, 2016, 08:31 AM #141
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

That would be better than PS3 to PS4 if it works!
Tigran is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:51 AM #142
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

Tsukasa wrote: View Post

Nintendo released a statement concerning Backwards compatibility...

Now, the wording on this is key...

"Nintendo Switch will not have physical backwards compatibility with either the WiiU or the 3DS."

This may mean that digital purchases may in fact transfer over!
Or the Switch hardware is physically incompatible in general with the past.

As I said before. The Switch only has 1 screen. Wii U and 3DS are 2 screen devices. How do you expect them to be compatible with the Switch?

Sure we may see VC titles (minus DS) transfer over similarly to last gen. But we will not magically be able to play our digital libraries of 3DS and Wii U games on a console that lacks 2 screen functionality.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:53 AM #143
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Decade

Internutt wrote: View Post

Or the Switch hardware is physically incompatible.

As I said before. The Switch only has 1 screen. Wii U and 3DS are 2 screen devices.

Yeah, this seems more accurate. It doesn't bother me. I can use my Wii-U or 3DS XL to play the other games if I wanted to.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:56 AM #144
> Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Same way the DS games are playable on the WiiU. The GamePad shows both screens.

I'm only just reporting on what is said.

Also, this looks awesome:
Tsukasa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 09:15 AM #145
> ϟDecade

Decade

Decade wrote: View Post

I haven't seen any complaints myself. But I'm genuinely excited for this. So excited, I consider Nintendo Switch to be their best console ever. But of course, that's just my perspective, and the opinion can change in time when more information is revealed.

The reason I'm so excited and see it this way, is because the N64, Wii, and Wii-U have felt very lukewarm. I love the DS and 3DS, but I consider that more in the portable category.

So seeing a main console with this much flexibility, and I favor the portable games more. Despite mainly playing Pokemon, I have owned and played non-Pokemon titles on DS/3DS and enjoyed them as opposed to Wii/Wii-U. So I'm really looking forward to these games being brought to what should be a main console platform.

I don't intend to get the Xbox 1 or Playstation 4, so this will be my "next gen" console.
Oh I just realized I forgot Gamecube.

I had a part time work at the time and earned a fair amount of extra money. I only picked up the Gamecube for two reasons:

- Pokemon Colosseum
- Party game console

The party portion of it wasn't bad, but Pokemon Colosseum was a let down for me. I understand a lot of people enjoyed this game, but it just didn't suit me.

I felt I had a tough time winning battles with just Umbreon and Espeon. I wanted to catch other Pokemon, raise them and build my own team. Stealing other people's Pokemon wasn't really a concept I enjoyed. Yeah I get it, it was to save/rescue those Pokemon, as I recall the story. But this just wasn't the concept of a Pokemon game I liked, and overall created a very lukewarm experience with the Gamecube for me as well.
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:17 AM #146
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

So it's been stated that the console will come with the essentials (dock, joy cons, etc). That got rid of one concern. Since the Switch does not have physical bc, it may be cheaper..... Maybe is the scary part.
TheLastBlade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:01 PM #147
> The Plastic Ranger
! Rejoice !

The Plastic Ranger
! Rejoice !

I'm sad that all the Virtual Console games I bought, and digital WiiU games I bought, may not work at all on the Switch.
The Plastic Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:05 PM #148
> ϟDecade

Decade

The Plastic Ranger wrote: View Post

I'm sad that all the Virtual Console games I bought, and digital WiiU games I bought, may not work at all on the Switch.
Why? You bought Wii-U games. Not Switch games.

Was the SNES backwards compatible with NES? Was N64 backwards compatible with SNES, or Gamecube with N64?

I don't get why people have such a high expectation on backwards compatibility.
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:08 PM #149
> Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Was the SNES backwards compatible with NES? Was N64 backwards compatible with SNES, or Gamecube with N64?

Blame the Wii...
Blame the GBC...
Blame the GBA
Blame the DS
Blame the 3DS
Blame the WiiU

Each one of those could play the previous system's games.
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:11 PM #150
> ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

It's the entitlements club.

I'm just happy to even be able to play old games on newer consoles. Which is why I think the PSP is the greatest handheld ever...... for all the wrong reasons. I still use it as my mp3 player in the car haha.
ultrakill is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:18 PM #151
> ϟDecade

Decade

Blame the Wii...
Blame the GBC...
Blame the GBA
Blame the DS
Blame the 3DS
Blame the WiiU

Aside from GBA & DS, I believe everything else was essentially the same platform.
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:30 PM #152
> Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Aside from GBA & DS, I believe everything else was essentially the same platform.
Since the newer games can't play on the older systems, but the older games can on the newer, it is considered a new platform.
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:45 PM #153
> ϟDecade

Decade

Since the newer games can't play on the older systems, but the older games can on the newer, it is considered a new platform.
But they're based off the old platforms.

And I'm pretty sure I played GBC games off my GB.

Whereas I believe the Switch will be something that's been completely new, and built from scratch.

It's like expecting Xbox to have compatibility with Playstation. It's just too different.
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:49 PM #154
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

If there was ever a generation to start fresh for Nintendo, this is the one.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 01:52 PM #155
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Blame the Wii...
Blame the GBC...
Blame the GBA
Blame the DS
Blame the 3DS
Blame the WiiU

This may or may not be as relevant, but I recently found out that parents had issues with the SNES not being able to play NES games back in the day, and thought that Nintendo was cheating people that way. On the other hand, it was possible for Sega Master System games to be played on the Genesis though the Power Base converter. It worked on the original Genesis model, but the way it was designed blocked the jacks on the second model, and didn't work on the third model at all.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:16 PM #156
> ϟDecade

Decade

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

This may or may not be as relevant, but I recently found out that parents had issues with the SNES not being able to play NES games back in the day, and thought that Nintendo was cheating people that way. On the other hand, it was possible for Sega Master System games to be played on the Genesis though the Power Base converter. It worked on the original Genesis model, but the way it was designed blocked the jacks on the second model, and didn't work on the third model at all.
My parents never had issue with it. Were people planning to trash or giveaway their old consoles?

I value my old consoles. I wouldn't want to give them up.
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:28 PM #157
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

My parents never had issue with it. Were people planning to trash or giveaway their old consoles?

I'd sell my old ones if that meant I could get something to play them all. I loved SNES but the only reason I have it is if I wanted to play my old cartridges. I'm more sentimental on the gaming experience, not what turns the game on.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:38 PM #158
> ϟDecade

Decade

hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

I'd sell my old ones if that meant I could get something to play them all. I loved SNES but the only reason I have it is if I wanted to play my old cartridges. I'm more sentimental on the gaming experience, not what turns the game on.
I'm not the same, I like seeing the consoles lined up. That's the same reason why I prefer physical games.

I have to explain the same thing to EBgames aka Gamestop, about why I don't do trade ins. They ask that every time.

It's also why I support no backwards compatibility. Players are forced to keep their old consoles if they want to play the old games, and it further hurts Gamestop's trade in business model. That's also why I supported Microsoft's decision with no game sharing for Xbox 1.

We so far have no proof that the Switch is a touch screen. For all we know, it's not. And Wii-U and 3DS games were designed with touch screens. Additionally, it would force players to play on TV for those games, since it's a single screen console for mobile play.

It makes sense for Nintendo to start fresh here with no backwards compatibility.
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:43 PM #159
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

I'm not the same, I like seeing the consoles lined up. That's the same reason why I prefer physical games.

I have to explain the same thing to EBgames aka Gamestop, about why I don't do trade ins. They ask that every time.

It's also why I support no backwards compatibility. Players are forced to keep their old consoles if they want to play the old games, and it further hurts Gamestop's trade in business model. That's also why I supported Microsoft's decision with no game sharing for Xbox 1.

We so far have no proof that the Switch is a touch screen. For all we know, it's not. And Wii-U and 3DS games were designed with touch screens. Additionally, it would force players to play on TV for those games, since it's a single screen console for mobile play.

It makes sense for Nintendo to start fresh here with no backwards compatibility.
That seems more of a collector viewpoint. Seeing them lined up. I think most people just want it to work.

Are you for or against Gamestop? I feel like not letting a friend borrow a game hurts gamestop because you can't trade it in, but you're also in a gamestop to begin with, though?

I just don't have enough room in any living room I feel like I'd live in to keep gaming systems set up when I feel nostalgic.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2016, 02:46 PM #160
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

I guess it was just parents being parents. I don't think my mother ever took backwards compatibility into consideration, but I just remember her telling me that I'd have to give up my NES if I get an SNES. She was just weird like that. I eventually did get an SNES, and she didn't really enforce giving up the NES, although she did suggest someone I could give it away to. I never gave it away to that person, but I eventually decided to give it away to my cousins since I didn't think I'd be playing it anymore. A year later, I decided I wanted it back. So now I don't give anything up.

hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

I just don't have enough room in any living room I feel like I'd live in to keep gaming systems set up when I feel nostalgic.
I only have active consoles connected to my TV. Right now, it's just the Wii U. All the others, I just have them packed away in my closet and just break them out when I want to play them.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
itprintsmoney!, switchitup, uhuhuh, why a mini?