Old October 22nd, 2016, 11:57 AM #201
> ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Decade

I never saw it that way since I take extreme care of my consoles regardless. I never had a failing issue with anything.

But I still support the no backwards compatibility since it allowed the development team to focus 100% on what they want to do without having to cater to the past.
Decade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 11:58 AM #202
> Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Derp Derpingwood the 3rd wrote: View Post

Just out of sheer curiosity, why do you always format the name like that?
Yes, because that is as close as the name can be typed out.
It has the amiibo coloured lines/dots around the word new

That is the name of the system.
=NEW= 3DS XL
it differentiates it from the regular 3DS

3DS
=NEW= 3DS

Otherwise, if i just said, it is on my new 3ds then it seems like I'd just be talking about the regular one, but a new out of the box one.
Tsukasa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 11:59 AM #203
> ϟDecade

Decade

Tsukasa wrote: View Post

Yes, because that is as close as the name can be typed out.
It has the amiibo coloured lines/dots around the word new

That is the name of the system.
=NEW= 3DS XL
it differentiates it from the regular 3DS

3DS
=NEW= 3DS

Otherwise, if i just said, it is on my new 3ds then it seems like I'd just be talking about the regular one, but a new out of the box one.
I would've read it the same if you just said "NEW 3DS", the equal signs aren't necessary.

I still never liked Nintendo for naming it that. They could've done better. Even just 3DS2 & 3DS2 XL. Oh, you could also shorten it to N3DS or N3DS XL.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:06 PM #204
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

I guess they wanted to emphatize the player who bought didn't get a 3DS. They want them to think they got a 3DS. That's new.
Spider-Phoenix is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:23 PM #205
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

Decade wrote: View Post

I never saw it that way since I take extreme care of my consoles regardless.
I always thought I did too but...shit happens. One day the ole gamecube is working just fine, the next, it stops reading any of the games I put in it for no explainable reason
BlueMystechRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:27 PM #206
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

I never saw it that way since I take extreme care of my consoles regardless. I never had a failing issue with anything.

But I still support the no backwards compatibility since it allowed the development team to focus 100% on what they want to do without having to cater to the past.
I really don't think the Wii or Wii U, Nintendo handhelds or PS2 lacked anything because they also could play a previous generation of games.

If I were a parent, I'd buy the system that plays more games. It just makes sense to include it if possible. Not required but I don't think any system capable of it was hindered by it.
hasso_opitz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:32 PM #207
> ϟDecade

Decade

hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

I really don't think the Wii or Wii U, Nintendo handhelds or PS2 lacked anything because they also could play a previous generation of games.

If I were a parent, I'd buy the system that plays more games. It just makes sense to include it if possible.
But Wii/Wii-U were still disc platforms. The amount of work to support/emulate the previous discs could've been minimal, who knows.

Heck, Wii-U just seems like a beefed up version of the Wii. So development of that versus Switch are like apple & oranges. Where they had a foundation already to build off of, Switch was being done from scratch.

Look at the design of the Switch, they were aiming for something slim, and modern. Discs are just not it. Let alone dealing with emulation for the past devices and trying to make it work on 1-screen play experience instead of a 2-screen.

Had they decided to even just change the design to accommodate that, it's a step backwards in technology.

I see it no more different than laptops dropping the disc drives.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:38 PM #208
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

But Wii/Wii-U were still disc platforms. The amount of work to support/emulate the previous discs could've been minimal, who knows.

Heck, Wii-U just seems like a beefed up version of the Wii. So development of that versus Switch are like apple & oranges. Where they had a foundation already to build off of, Switch was being done from scratch.

Look at the design of the Switch, they were aiming for something slim, and modern. Discs are just not it. Let alone dealing with emulation for the past devices and trying to make it work on 1-screen play experience instead of a 2-screen.

Had they decided to even just change the design to accommodate that, it's a step backwards in technology.

I see it no more different than laptops dropping the disc drives.
See we may be bouncing around.

I'm defending general backwards compatibility. I thought you said you didn't support it at all because you like to keep all of your consoles in a row and use the console that was made for the specific game you want to play. Now it's Switch specifically?

I'm perfectly fine with it not having it. It doesn't have a disc drive and it won't stop me from buying the Switch but as a general topic of backwards compatibility if I could flip a Switch and have it on a next gen console I wouldn't say no. That all .
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:41 PM #209
> ϟDecade

Decade

hasso_opitz wrote: View Post

See we may be bouncing around.

I'm defending general backwards compatibility. I thought you said you didn't support it at all because you like to keep all of your consoles in a row and use the console that was made for the specific game you want to play. Now it's Switch specifically?

I'm perfectly fine with it not having it. It doesn't have a disc drive and it won't stop me from buying the Switch but as a general topic of backwards compatibility if I could flip a Switch and have it on a next gen console I wouldn't say no.
I said I do that so I don't see it as a problem for me. If I felt like playing an old game I still have the old system in sight with minimum work (changing cable if necessary) to get it online.

But it doesn't change the legitimate fact that accommodating to old technology does affect actual development and the system design. I don't see how you're not processing this.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:43 PM #210
> ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

ultrakill
JabroniePictures.com

I just one word new3ds. No questions about it.
ultrakill is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 12:47 PM #211
> hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

hasso_opitz
Formally dolphintamer45

I said I do that so I don't see it as a problem for me. If I felt like playing an old game I still have the old system in sight with minimum work (changing cable if necessary) to get it online.

But it doesn't change the legitimate fact that accommodating to old technology does affect actual development and the system design. I don't see how you're not processing this.
That's great that it doesn't impact you but, I know it would benefit more people than not.

I actually processed that. Work had to go into making the new console play older console's games. I wasn't denying that fact. I simply said I don't see how the PlayStation 2, for example, would've been any different if it couldn't play PlayStation games. That's literally it.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:23 PM #212
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

Tsukasa wrote: View Post

3 hour battery is a rumour.
No backward compatibility. Right now they said PHYSICALLY no backwards compatibility.
How can can single screen console be backwards compatible with the Wii U, a 2 screen console?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...een_experience

It simply cannot happen. The Wii U has been dropped by Nintendo in terms of backwards compatibility. Some Wii U games cannot function without the second screen, so that limitation would be pretty obvious in a console that can only output to a single screen at any one time.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:42 PM #213
> Cyrax9
VIP Rider

Cyrax9
VIP Rider

I'm out of ports on my television, and I already have enough wires coming out of my TV to hang myself with them, so the idea of adding switchboxes to connect older consoles is highly unappealing to me when backwards compatibility should be an option. I bought the Wii at launch in large part because of backwards compatibility, and the Wii U for the same reason. I would have bought the PS4 at launch instead of waiting for the PS4 Pro if the console had backwards compatibility, so Sony effectively delayed a sale by not including it. Likewise, while Microsoft has added it, I will never buy the XB1 on principal after what they wanted to pull with tying games to the system, (even if negative public relations eventually pressured them to change,) and may never buy another Microsoft console again as long as the people who cooked up the original XB1 plans remain employed there. I'll give them credit for adding backwards compatibility, even if it was under duress though.

As for the Switch, I understand Nintendo not building physical backwards compatibility directly into the box. My "gripe" isn't that it's not built directly into the box though, but that there isn't some sort of add–on USB dongle that just lets me connect the necessary circuitry and optical drive to the Switch to play older games rather than sucking up two or three additional inputs on my TV set with older consoles. I wouldn't even mind paying a few hundred dollars for such a device if it was GameCube/Wii/Wii U compatible instead of merely Wii U compatible, as that would free up a ton of space around my TV set. Sony apparently considered something like this for the newer PS3s to bring back PS2 compatibility but never went through with it as the system continued to tank in the sales. (I actually think it was really a stupid decision not to do this, because restoring PS2 functionality would have sold me on a PS3 long before Sony was selling them for $250 after taking preorders for PS4s.) Nintendo's past three consoles are all based on IBM's POWER architecture, and could have their functionality duplicated with one single device if it's designed right. The only reason the Wii U didn't play GameCube games is that Nintendo didn't want to spring for a more expensive optical drive that read 3"/8cm discs, which would have been fine on the budget model, but definitely cost them some sales on the higher end units. (I know a few people who would have jumped on the Wii U at launch like I did if GameCube support had been included, but who ultimately got their consoles for a steal when nobody bought them.) I'd even been fine with Nintendo requiring me to pay a premium for full backwards compatibility as long as it was available. Such a device would also give the Switch a gigantic library of games while not forcing those who weren't interested in said device to pay for it. I completely understand not strapping an optical drive to a hybrid console that needs to be portable, but I think that excluding such a device as an add–on is a mistake.

As for that rumored battery life, I'm really hoping that it's false. Three hours is nothing, especially for marathon gaming sessions. It's 2016; Nintendo ought to be able to have a battery that doesn't need to be recharged every time the console is in use or worse, midway through gameplay. I'm also hoping that charging the controller doesn't require draining the battery of the tablet as some are claiming; it's a completely backwards way of doing things compared to just passing electricity to the controller on a charged and docked Switch tablet. This is the kind of lesson that I'm hoping Nintendo learned from the Wii U when it comes to the overall design. I'm still curious as to what kind of circuitry might be in that charging cradle since it seems awefully large for something that just holds the tablet and passes power to it. Hopefully there's some circuitry in there that enhances the experience on a TV screen versus just playing on the handheld.

Just to be clear, despite my critiques, I'm still very interested in this console. I'm also wondering what Nintendo's planning when they say that currently there's no "physical" backwards compatibility. Does this mean there's going to be some way to digitally access our old GameCube/Wii/Wii U libraries in a digital format for use on the Switch? Does it mean that our old Virtual Console titles will port over into some sort of unified VC instead of what the Wii U did by splitting its virtual console and the Wii's virtual console based on whether you were in Wii U or Wii mode? Clearly Nintendo has something in mind there, even if they're not saying what it is just yet.

EDIT: Internutt, do we know that the Switch isn't using a touch screen in that thing that looks like a tablet? If it is, there's your answer to how a single–screen console becomes a dual–screen console, in that it's already technically a dual–screen console, just not being advertised as such. At most we're probably looking at some sort of dongle with an optical drive as an accessory to make backwards compatibility work, and if the screen on the Switch isn't a touch screen, we'd probably be looking at an additional controller, which Nintendo clearly has no problem offering given that they already have standalone Switch controllers displayed in the debut video.

Last edited by Cyrax9; October 22nd, 2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Cyrax9 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:00 PM #214
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

The Wii U was designed so that it was constantly streaming a signal to the gamepad screen.

This functionality does not exist on the Switch. This is not a case of a 2DS using a single screen to show 2 separate screens of input. The Wii U was far more complicated than that. It needed an entire gig of dedicated RAM in order to compensate for that streaming.

2 screen gaming was the entire point of the Wii U, including generating an entire duplicate of the TV screen on the gamepad. That requires a lot of computer processing that the switch is not designed to do.

If it was, the Switch would have a gamepad tablet as a controller option, which it does not.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:04 PM #215
> Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Tsukasa
Power Ranger

Internutt wrote: View Post

The Wii U was designed so that it was constantly streaming a signal to the gamepad screen.

This functionality does not exist on the Switch. This is not a case of a 2DS using a single screen to show 2 separate screens of input. The Wii U was far more complicated than that.
The DS games on the WiiU show both screens on the gamepad.
Tsukasa is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:12 PM #216
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

Again, that's a completely different process. Nintendo spent a LOT of R&D getting the Wii U to work. It's nowhere near as simple as a device displaying 2 different screens, or PS4 streaming images to Vita over the internet.

Wii U gamepad streaming was a whole different beast that required a lot of testing and computing effort. The Switch is simply not designed for that process in mind.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...een_experience

The key phrase Nintendo use with the Switch is 'single screen experience' meaning that the console is not designed with Wii U functionality in mind. Instead opting for the simpler process of removing a handheld device from a TV connected dock, rather than the overly complicated gamepad streaming device that defined the Wii U.

The Switch cannot communicate with the dock unless it's physically plugged into the dock, meaning you can only utilise one screen at a time (TV or Switch).

The only way Wii U backwards compatibility could theoretically work is is you owned two Switch consoles and could use one Switch console as a controller for the other. Not exactly a cheap option by any means.

Last edited by WhiteMystechRanger; October 22nd, 2016 at 03:19 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:32 PM #217
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

An idiotic report about this on The Sun newspaper's finance page today.
But questions remain over it's price and whether the portable hybrid will have a touch screen, letting users play Pokemon Go.
Even if it did have a touch screen, it wouldn't be able to play that game anyway - the Switch is not a phone!
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:47 PM #218
> KRDK
Nobody's Perfect

KRDK
Nobody's Perfect

Unless Nintendo has a phone service that I am not aware of, that might be the stupidest thing I have read all day.
KRDK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 03:48 PM #219
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

Plus I doubt Switch is even going to have a 4G data conneciton, which is kind of necessary for Pokemon Go.

Besides, rather than Pokemon Go, the Switch will have something even better.

Pokemon itself.

3DS is the final Nintendo handheld device, the handheld division was merged in with the console division of Nintendo's R&D, meaning both teams came up with this device meaning Pokemon, a handheld only franchise's next home will be the Switch.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:01 PM #220
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Usually whenever there's a new gaming system I wait just a little bit longer for a few games to be released and then sell my old system and games, so the new one won't be so expensive. It looks like I'll be doing the same thing very soon.
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
itprintsmoney!, switchitup, uhuhuh, why a mini?