Old April 6th, 2019, 01:50 PM #1
> ShinySephiroth
The Power Ranger Archives

eBay
ShinySephiroth

eBay

DC Collectibles, Icon, Multiverse

When it comes to the DC figures, how is it being split up? Here is what I have seen/am guessing:

CW Shows were being done by DC Collectibles, as well as Mattel's Multiverse line. From what I've read, it is only the Multiverse line now.

Gotham is being done by Diamond Select.

Comics are being done by a variety of different sets, including Mafex and Figuarts.

High end is Hot Toys and the like, obviously.

Have there been any announcements on the new shows for Titans, Swamp Thing, or Doom Patrol? And have there been any announcements about Young Justice toys?

Also, if a character is introduced, I'm seeing it normally takes toy lines two years or so to catch up and make the toy (like the new Wally West Flash suit). Is that normal? I'm curious because I want to finish up my current Justice League collection (what is this current era even called? It's definitely not Rebirth anymore...).

Also, I have a much harder time keeping up with DC toys than Marvel, for some reason. How do you collectors keep up with what DC releases? My own collection is skewed heavily in favor of DC over Marvel.
ShinySephiroth is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 07:06 PM #2
> bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

ShinySephiroth wrote: View Post

When it comes to the DC figures, how is it being split up? Here is what I have seen/am guessing:

CW Shows were being done by DC Collectibles, as well as Mattel's Multiverse line. From what I've read, it is only the Multiverse line now.

Gotham is being done by Diamond Select.

Comics are being done by a variety of different sets, including Mafex and Figuarts.

High end is Hot Toys and the like, obviously.

Have there been any announcements on the new shows for Titans, Swamp Thing, or Doom Patrol? And have there been any announcements about Young Justice toys?

Also, if a character is introduced, I'm seeing it normally takes toy lines two years or so to catch up and make the toy (like the new Wally West Flash suit). Is that normal? I'm curious because I want to finish up my current Justice League collection (what is this current era even called? It's definitely not Rebirth anymore...).

Also, I have a much harder time keeping up with DC toys than Marvel, for some reason. How do you collectors keep up with what DC releases? My own collection is skewed heavily in favor of DC over Marvel.
DCs figure licensing had really gone to pot...

Mattel will lose its master license next year I believe, meaning we shouldn't really expect to see much else from them for the rest of the year (i.e. their Mutiverse line is pretty much dead after one more wave and a couple Batman movie villains come out) unless something is revealed at SDCC...

and that's a shame because their Aquaman multiverse figures were really well done and even the basic figures like their Shazam! and Aquaman lines were solidly built and well-articulated for the price...they seemed to finally get it just when they ran out of time...

it was distribution (and DC popularity in general that no doubt had a part to play) that really sank the Multiverse line...that darn Dark Knight Cassie wave totally took root and just didn't clear out fast enough for any subsequent waves to hit en masse...

I have barely seen any new Multiverse figures in the blue packaging at Target outside of a rare sighting of the Ray and occasionally a Gotham by Gaslight Batman or Wonder Woman...there's one Walgreens Bizarro exclusive out too but I've only seen that at one store...

i'm still kind of miffed they didn't take advantage of doing more CW DC characters...they only did about six or seven...I would have been in for more...I loved the Batman 66 subline...that they finally were able to do a Lynda Carter Wonder Woman was fantastic...they should have gotten us a larger Mutltiverse Christopher Reeve (the 4" line was so dead in both incarnations)...

McFarlane Toys is doing DC figures after Mattel (which will hold on to only their DC Super Hero Girls line while the more kiddie side is going to Spinmaster)...

DCDirect (now DC Collectibles) had this weird habit of releasing the same characters as Mattel (when Matty wasn't fixated on doing solely Batman or Superman characters) and I strongly think that undercut the Mattel line...

since Mattel killed their Young Justice line before they could complete the build-a-Hall-of-Justice facade, I don't think we'll really ever see any more merchandise dedicated to that show...even if it sorely deserved more...

about the only line Mattel really knocked it out of the park on was their JLU (and even then they sort of kicked fans to the dust with a super limited Hal Jordan figure not available at retail...thus ensuring nobody would really be able to complete their collection)...

now, going forward I think DC is still going to make figures but concentrate a lot more on higher end stuff like statues and such...

it's all kind of still speculative since the details of what McFarlane intends to do has been pretty hush-hush...

and yeah it does take quite a bit of time to develop the toys, so for some hot new character to make it into a toy line, even if its rushed, probably takes at least a year...

I think the Red Goblin (a Green Goblin/Carnage mashup) was the quickest I've ever seen from the charcter debut in comics (or at least marketing of the comic) to actually getting onto toy shelves and that was a little over a year probably...

Last edited by bearytrek; April 6th, 2019 at 07:19 PM.
bearytrek is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 7th, 2019, 08:56 AM #3
> ShinySephiroth

eBay
ShinySephiroth

eBay

You are a scholar and a saint! Wow, that is everything I was wondering!

Sounds like the same thing Bandai did with the PR line is what Mattel is doing to DC. Such a shame, because (like I mentioned), I greatly prefer DC figures.

Hmm... I don't know how I feel about DC focusing on statues. :/ I hope McFarlane toys does something different, too.

Hopefully the success of movies like Shazam can help boost DC popularity again.

Shame about Young Justice... really wanted a 6" Miss Martian.

Yes, I found it so odd that Collectibles and Mattel were doing the same figures at the same time! It made no sense to me!

Yeah, so many characters from CW that could have been made. It's such a shame! XS, Iris, Spartan, the last 2x Flash suits, the new Legends, Elongated Man, Letscher Reverse Flash, etc.

Yes, I was so surprised at how good the Multiverse Aquaman figures turned out!
Old April 7th, 2019, 01:10 PM #4
> TheDub
The One and Only

TheDub
The One and Only

i will point out that mcfarlane himself he doesnt see the point of articulation. he prefers looks. however mcfarlane is making the fortnite figures and people are raving about those so again, who knows? itll be the middle of next year so we probably wont see much till toyfair 2020.
TheDub is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 03:42 PM #5
> ShinySephiroth

eBay
ShinySephiroth

eBay

Ah, well I'm excited to see how things end up! I hope they can revitalize the brand!

Now for the current Justice League line up... which existing Superman, Batman, and Mera toys does anyone recommend to fill the holes here? I'm thinking any 2000s Superman, right? And I was wanting to do Hush Batman, but it seems like he had a blue tint during that run that doesn't match his current suit... thoughts? And I guess I'm gonna have to just wait on a good Hawkgirl.

Old April 7th, 2019, 04:44 PM #6
> bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

ShinySephiroth wrote: View Post

Hmm... I don't know how I feel about DC focusing on statues. :/ I hope McFarlane toys does something different, too.

Hopefully the success of movies like Shazam can help boost DC popularity again.

Shame about Young Justice... really wanted a 6" Miss Martian.
DC showed off some new figures back around Toy Fair I think, so they're not totally out of the action figure game, but it does look like they're focusing more on stylized figures like artist-specific versions, Bombshells, more artsy rather than the mass-marketable versions you'd find in toy stores (if there were any left)...

I seem to remember Mattel did a few 6" Multiverse-style YJ figures waaay back and even hinted they could have made a Miss Martian at some point but the line just died (both the YJ line and the generic line that became Signature) so they never got around to doing more...

there haven't been too many Mera figures...DC did some great figures during the Blackest Night/Brightest Day run...metallic paint and killer sculpting...there was a Red Lantern Mera but I don't remember if they ever got around to doing a green one later...

the Multiverse movie Mera is decent, the basic one (in short supply but at least available now) is also pretty good too but not very fancy looking

i just checked, DC did do a green Mera

http://www.shesfantastic.com/2013/07...-day-mera.html
Old April 7th, 2019, 05:23 PM #7
> ShinySephiroth

eBay
ShinySephiroth

eBay

Oh, yes, that Mera is fantastic ^_^ Thanks a ton!

Yeah, I believe I have all of the 6" that was released for YJ. I think the only Superboy they made was his intro in the white suit, and I think the only main member who didn't get a 6" from season 1 was Miss Martian.

The Blackest Night/Brightest Day figures are so great. So inspired!

I have to figure out a way to better track the upcoming DC figures. I looked at ToyArk but they don't have release dates. It seems like Marvel toys are much more organized for some reason.

And another question - some knock off company made a "hot toy" Jerome called The Laughter and by the time I found out about it, they stopped making them. Is there any word if Gotham is done with their toys since it will be the last season? I hope not because I want both versions of Gotham's Joker.
Old July 19th, 2019, 12:57 PM #8
> bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

Mattel follows up their awesome SDCC many-costumes-of-Batman multipack with Ultimate Alfred

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...alfred-sdcc19/