Home Menu

Menu

Old September 16th, 2018, 01:52 PM #81
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

Well, they probably have an idea on which is which than they know who Barbara is and have no idea on who Kathy is as one is Commissioner Gordon's daughter and the other is Batman's cousin who is an out and proud Jewish lesbian.
...Which is exactly what I just said.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 01:54 PM #82
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Well, they probably have an idea on which is which than they know who Barbara is and have no idea on who Kathy is as one is Commissioner Gordon's daughter and the other is Batman's cousin who is an out and proud Jewish lesbian.
The thing is that the general audience DO NOT know who Kate is. That's why her show is spinning out of the Arrowverse crossover - so that people will have an idea and will be more likely to watch her show.

If I had to guess the reason that the poster wanted Batgirl on CW as opposed to Batwoman is because Babs fits the network's narrative more than Kate does, who would fit the ability to be R rated.
Harpsikord is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 01:55 PM #83
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Uh, Batwoman goes by Kate. Kathy was the pre-Crisis version, a completely different character (was Batman's love interest, not his cousin).
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 06:25 PM #84
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Batgirl (Barbara) is far more relevant and well known. Batwoman kinda just feels like a consolation prize to a consolation prize. "Well we can't use Batman. Can we at least use Batgirl?" "No but you can use BatWOMAN." "Oh well I guess it has 'Bat' in it.... We'll take it."
Poweranimals is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 09:33 PM #85
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

Batgirl (Barbara) is far more relevant and well known. Batwoman kinda just feels like a consolation prize to a consolation prize. "Well we can't use Batman. Can we at least use Batgirl?" "No but you can use BatWOMAN." "Oh well I guess it has 'Bat' in it.... We'll take it."
Consolation prize nothing. She's one of the DC superheroes who has never been depicted in live-action, while Barbara has been depicted in live-action three times: Batman 1966, Batman and Robin and Birds of Prey, so the producers chose Batwoman because she has never made a live-action appearance not as a consolation prize. Mind you, several characters was never depicted in live-action before appearing in the Arrowverse.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 11:30 PM #86
> Pumpy
Power Ranger

Pumpy
Power Ranger

Consolation prize nothing. She's one of the DC superheroes who has never been depicted in live-action, while Barbara has been depicted in live-action three times: Batman 1966, Batman and Robin and Birds of Prey, so the producers chose Batwoman because she has never made a live-action appearance not as a consolation prize. Mind you, several characters was never depicted in live-action before appearing in the Arrowverse.
I'm sure the CW would have chosen Batgirl over Batwoman in a heartbeat if given the chance. Batgirl is better known to the general audience. She's more mainstream, and because of that people feel more familiarity toward Barbara, which leads to them being more inclined to check her show out. Batwoman is going to be a harder sell for the network. She's more obscure. Most people who aren't comic readers don't know her, and don't feel that same attachment toward her.
Pumpy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2018, 11:32 PM #87
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Apparently, ITV could be saving Big Brother but I actually doubt it for a good reason since they already have Love Island and I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...d-itv-13256833

Pumpy wrote: View Post

I'm sure the CW would have chosen Batgirl over Batwoman in a heartbeat if given the chance. Batgirl is better known to the general audience. People love Barbara. Batwoman is going to be a harder sell for the network. She's more obscure. Most people who aren't comic readers don't know her and don't feel that same attachment toward her.
Yes but like I said, several Arrowverse characters were obscure before appearing in said continuity. The CW, WB and DC don't always have to pick ones that non-comic readers know about to appear in the Arrowverse, you know.
Old September 16th, 2018, 11:54 PM #88
> Pumpy
Power Ranger

Pumpy
Power Ranger

Yes but like I said, several Arrowverse characters were obscure before appearing in said continuity. The CW, WB and DC don't always have to pick ones that non-comic readers know about to appear in the Arrowverse, you know.
Right. But the thing is, Batwoman isn't just randomly appearing in a few episodes of Arrow or Flash. She's getting an entire show about her. Did these obscure characters that you mention have an ENTIRE show based around them? No. Green Arrow, Flash and Supergirl are all pretty well known DC superheroes. Even Black Lightning or the rogues are more well known than Batwoman. I completely see where PowerAnimals is coming from when he says that Batgirl feels like a consolation prize to the network.
Pumpy is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 12:02 AM #89
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Iron Man was unknown to most when his movies came out. It sold well no? To sit there and go oh Batgirl is better known doesn't mean anything. What matters is getting access to characters to tell a story. They couldn't use Blue Beetle at the time so they used The Atom. The legends is a successful show with lesser known characters on it. Marvel built an entire movie universe on lesser known characters. To forget these things is to ignore facts. Batwoman is lesser known but at the same time it gives them more freedom to work with the character. You have less people needing it to be exactly like the comics.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 12:35 AM #90
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Pumpy wrote: View Post

Right. But the thing is, Batwoman isn't just randomly appearing in a few episodes of Arrow or Flash. She's getting an entire show about her. Did these obscure characters that you mention have an ENTIRE show based around them? No. Green Arrow, Flash and Supergirl are all pretty well known DC superheroes. Even Black Lightning or the rogues are more well known than Batwoman. I completely see where Poweranimals is coming from when he says that Batgirl feels like a consolation prize to the network.
I'm actually referring to the other main characters of the Arrowverse who were obscure prior to their appearances in the continuity, not referring to the ones who are the titular main characters of their shows from the continuity.
Old September 17th, 2018, 02:02 AM #91
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Apparently, ITV could be saving Big Brother but I actually doubt it for a good reason since they already have Love Island and I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...d-itv-13256833
Already been posted:
Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

ITV are now interested in purchasing Endemol Shine...could Big Brother end up on one of their channels? And possibly Black Mirror too?

https://deadline.com/2018/09/itv-end...id-1202465398/
Old September 17th, 2018, 02:28 AM #92
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Already been posted:
Oh, sorry. Still doubtful, however.
Old September 17th, 2018, 03:18 AM #93
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

This was announced back in March, but I don't think it was reported...the BBC are bringing back their medical drama Trust Me for a second series, and for obvious reasons, are moving forward without Jodie Whitaker. She is replaced in the series by Alfred Enouch

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a8...-alfred-enoch/
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 10:45 AM #94
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Same thing they did with Our Girl when Lacey Turner went back to EastEnders (they replaced her with Coronation Street's Michelle Keegan). Actor getting a bigger role doesn't have to mean the axe.

Netflix seem to have confirmed Defenders is never getting a second season. It's Facebook page has been repurposed for something called NX. Tagline "multiple universes, one home".
https://www.facebook.com/nxonnetflix/
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:08 AM #95
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

I'm starting to think JJ season 3 will be the last season of Marvel Netflix period. They still have yet to renew Luke Cage for a 3rd season and they seem to be rushing through the remaining content.
Poweranimals is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:14 AM #96
> CaptainCanoe
Pssssst. behind you!

CaptainCanoe
Pssssst. behind you!

Don't kid yourself, she was chosen because is a LGBTQ+ superhero and they wanted a LGBTQ+ superhero lead show.
CaptainCanoe is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:32 AM #97
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Same thing they did with Our Girl when Lacey Turner went back to EastEnders (they replaced her with Coronation Street's Michelle Keegan). Actor getting a bigger role doesn't have to mean the axe.

Netflix seem to have confirmed Defenders is never getting a second season. It's Facebook page has been repurposed for something called NX. Tagline "multiple universes, one home".
https://www.facebook.com/nxonnetflix/
The page likes are dropping. Over 500 members have left since I clicked the link.
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:36 AM #98
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

CaptainCanoe wrote: View Post

Don't kid yourself, she was chosen because is a LGBTQ+ superhero and they wanted a LGBTQ+ superhero lead show.
Not inherently. They could have used The Ray.
Harpsikord is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:38 AM #99
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

CaptainCanoe wrote: View Post

That doesn't mean it's not a good thing. I wasn't kidding when I said that she's one of the prominent DC superheroes who never appeared in live-action prior to appearing in the Arrowverse (obviously, Oliver, Kara and Barry aren't in this list since they appeared in live-action pre-Arrowverse) and she's not the only LGBTQ+ superhero to lead an Arrowverse show (live-action or animated) as the Ray has his own animated series in that continuity.
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:48 AM #100
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Harpsikord wrote: View Post

Not inherently. They could have used The Ray.
Isn't he busy? Doesn't he have a current acting gig that would make it impossible for full time part?