Home Menu

Menu

Old July 17th, 2018, 08:15 AM #1
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

CW's Batwoman

Batwoman could soon be coming to the “Arrow”-verse.

Variety has learned that The CW is developing a series about the DC superhero that would debut in 2019 should it get picked up. News of the development comes after the network announced in May that the character would appear in the annual crossover event between four of the CW’s DC shows: “The Flash,” “Arrow,” “Legends of Tomorrow,” and “Supergirl.”

In the series, Kate Kane, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city’s criminal resurgence. But don’t call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham’s symbol of hope

Caroline Dries will serve as the writer and executive producer on the project. Dries has a long history with CW, having worked as a writer and producer on “The Vampire Diaries” and the network’s new iteration of “Melrose Place.” She also worked as a writer on “Smallville,” which centered on Clark Kent before he become Superman. Dries is repped by WME.

Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter will also executive produce via Berlanti Productions. Geoff Johns, who recently stepped down as the head of DC Entertainment, will also executive produce. Berlanti Productions will produce in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Should the show get picked up–which seems more than likely–it would be Berlanti’s seventh show on The CW and 15th on the air overall, thus further cementing his record for most live-action shows on the air at one time. In addition to the four previously mentioned DC shows, he also produces the CW superhero drama “Black Lightning,” “Riverdale,” and the upcoming high school football drama “All American.”

Outside of The CW, he produces the upcoming dramas “God Friended Me” and “The Red Line” for CBS, “Blindspot” at NBC, “You” for Lifetime, “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” on Netflix, and “Titans” and “Doom Patrol” at the DC streaming service, DC Universe.

Batwoman, the first openly gay DC superhero, would also add to the CW’s recent track record of inclusion on its airwaves. The network currently boasts a wide range of diverse
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/bat...cw-1202874978/
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:23 AM #2
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

She is NOT the first openly gay DC superhero. Do they mean the first one adapted for TV?
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:34 AM #3
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

So... it doesn't really seem like any of that is saying there's a show coming, just that the character is coming to the crossover. Am I missing something here? This has been announced already and appeared in the various DC CW show threads.

Digifiend wrote: View Post

She is NOT the first openly gay DC superhero. Do they mean the first one adapted for TV?
She's not even the first openly gay DC hero on the CW Shows.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:35 AM #4
> bearytrek
Power Ranger

bearytrek
Power Ranger

I wonder if this potentially would take the place of Arrow on the schedule as its "urban-non-super-powered-vigilante" genre piece...
bearytrek is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:36 AM #5
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

So... it doesn't really seem like any of that is saying there's a show coming, just that the character is coming to the crossover. Am I missing something here? This has been announced already and appeared in the various DC CW show threads.
Ahem...
Variety has learned that The CW is developing a series about the DC superhero that would debut in 2019 should it get picked up.
The crossover is introducing her before she gets her own show.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:09 AM #6
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

So The Ray gets an animated series, and Batwoman will potentially get a live-action one. That doesn't seem hardly fair. That also went with Vixen, but that actress was busy elsewhere anyway.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:10 AM #7
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

I double-checked the article before I posted for the same reason, I thought "hey, this is old news" and completely forgot her appearances on the CW coming up were just crossover storylines. This is confirming a full series with her as the lead is in development.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:11 AM #8
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

"... armed with a passion for social justice ...."

Will be interesting to see what kind of rights groups jump on that
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:12 AM #9
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

GalaxyRed wrote: View Post

So The Ray gets an animated series, and Batwoman will potentially get a live-action one. That doesn't seem hardly fair. That also went with Vixen, but that actress was busy elsewhere anyway.
What do you mean it doesn't seem hardly fair?
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:13 AM #10
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai wrote: View Post

"... armed with a passion for social justice ...."

Will be interesting to see what kind of rights groups jump on that
All of them????
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:15 AM #11
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

What do you mean it doesn't seem hardly fair?
Just as I said. They are planning a live-action series with that character, but The Ray just gets an animated series, when the actor was more than likely readily available to do a live-action series (since the show he was previously on was cancelled). Vixen would've worked for a live-action show as well, but at least with that, there was a reason why it was mostly animated. The actress was busy elsewhere and couldn't dedicate her time to a full time gig at CW.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:25 AM #12
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

I double-checked the article before I posted for the same reason, I thought "hey, this is old news" and completely forgot her appearances on the CW coming up were just crossover storylines. This is confirming a full series with her as the lead is in development.
I misread that series part as just about the crossover. But at the same time, I kind of wonder if they're really going with another show or just prepping for the chance. It seems like every hero introduced is basically a backdoor pilot of some kind, in the first place, so I kind of just assume this is standard practice.

Though, that blurb of backstory does seem to avoid acknowledging Batman and the Bat-history entirely. Even avoiding her military past. I'm more intrigued by how it handles a Batmanless Gotham than anything. Supergirl at least wasn't in Metropolis and tries to occasionally explain away Superman's absence.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:25 AM #13
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

To be fair, people would be more likely to watch a Batwoman series than the Ray.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:28 AM #14
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

I misread that series part as just about the crossover. But at the same time, I kind of wonder if they're really going with another show or just prepping for the chance. It seems like every hero introduced is basically a backdoor pilot of some kind, in the first place, so I kind of just assume this is standard practice.

Though, that blurb of backstory does seem to avoid acknowledging Batman and the Bat-history entirely. Even avoiding her military past
I'm a bit surprised at that too...I was expecting her father and the Colony to play some role in it, and that "future Kate is a douche militant" angle would be interesting to play with in a Legends crossover.

I also wonder if Maggie from Supergirl will join the cast for a little bit so they can pursue the relationship from the comics
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:35 AM #15
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

As much as I'd love to see Batwoman get off the ground as a show, really give even more DC comics characters some love, I have a bad feeling that it would really struggle to gain traction.

Mostly because of the seeming ignorance of the general audience. Either they don't watch it because it's not actually Batman, questions as to why they don't just use Batgirl, or criticism of DC trying to be all PC by "creating" a Batwoman, likely not realizing that Batwoman actually existed for decades. The latter one may be stretching it a bit, but I've seen comments on that upcoming Titans show at how they dislike female Dove and accuse them of being PC when there's already a male Dove just because that's all they know from the JLU cartoon. Again, nevermind the fact that Dawn Granger actually existed for decades.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:39 AM #16
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Xalfrea wrote: View Post

As much as I'd love to see Batwoman get off the ground as a show, really give even more DC comics characters some love, I have a bad feeling that it would really struggle to gain traction.

Mostly because of the seeming ignorance of the general audience. Either they don't watch it because it's not actually Batman, questions as to why they don't just use Batgirl, or criticism of DC trying to be all PC by "creating" a Batwoman, likely not realizing that Batwoman actually existed for decades. The latter one may be stretching it a bit, but I've seen comments on that upcoming Titans show at how they dislike female Dove and accuse them of being PC when there's already a male Dove just because that's all they know from the JLU cartoon. Again, nevermind the fact that Dawn Granger actually existed for decades.
And the fact that Dawn has been Dove since at least the 80s. Heck Don is one of the few heroes not to be brought back to life.

Then again, Batman was seen as the campy Adam West version until DKR happened even though he was back to being dark since the early 70s.
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:40 AM #17
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

I vote Cassidy Freeman for Batwoman. She's got experience with CW from her Smallville days.

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm2336905/?ref_=m_tt_cl_i4
comicstar100 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:41 AM #18
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

comicstar100 wrote: View Post

I vote Cassidy Freeman for Batwoman. She's got experience with CW from her Smallville days.

Wouldn't she be considered to old for a lead roll in a CW show?
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:44 AM #19
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

comicstar100 wrote: View Post

I approve of this suggestion.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 09:57 AM #20
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Virus wrote: View Post

Wouldn't she be considered to old for a lead roll in a CW show?
She's 36. That sounds about right for Batwoman.