Menu

Old December 14th, 2017, 01:12 PM #61
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

Why not?
... because as I said, they've not been part of Marvel Studios before. I can perfectly understand being happy to see them there, but saying "back home" is a misnomer.

Instead of Fantastic Four belonging to a studio that... never really believed in the franchise to begin with, given the watered down movies we got, it now belongs to a studio that will allow it to thrive and do things properly. The natural "home" for them is the studio that knows them best.
Better suited for them? Absolutely. A natural fit? Oh, I expect it'd be a great (set of) film(s), even though I'm not into the Fantastic Four. Home? It is now. But it wasn't before. So "back" doesn't work.

As for X-Men, ehh. Logan and Deadpool have been anomalies, but the main series is pretty patchy, whilst somehow Brian Singer is still making the same X-Men movies now as he was in 2000. The superhero movie landscape has changed, and X-Men really hasn't under Fox.
I'd personally add Days of Future Past to that list. And First Class and Apocalypse were hardly bad either, though the latter especially is shaky. As for the superhero film landscape having changed? Yes, of course, and it'll be great to see the X-Men through a different filter. But I do see evolution in the Fox films over the years, and I do appreciate that we've had more variety available to us. We've had the Marvel Studios style, the Fox style, and the Warner/DC style. The fact that those are in decreasing order of hit:flop ratio doesn't change that the variety is appreciated.

People often forget that Kevin Feige started out as an assistant to Lauren Shuler Donner, who made him a producer on X-Men. It was his insistence that Wolverine have the classic haircut that actually made it happen, against Fox's request. He stated something along the lines of "Just because it has the possibility to look ridiculous doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make it look cool."
Knew that Feige was involved in the early Fox X-Men films, but I hadn't heard about that, no. Good on him!

Pretty much every design aspect from the Fox movies has been pretty bad: from the X-suits, Apocalypse, The Sentinels, Fox are a studio that's scared of it's superhero movies looking like superhero movies. This is why I'm excited to see an MCU X-Men in yellow and blue suits.
The suit aspect... yeah, it would've been nice to see even something like the Ultimate costumes, let alone 616-type ones. Apocalypse edged us closer, but mostly within the last 30 seconds. Honestly, though, suits are an aesthetic thing. Then again, so are all of these last points, haha!

Apocalypse, I didn't think was terrible.

The Sentinels... 1970s versions were iffy, but I think that was the point. The 2020s ones were badass. I don't need them to look like they're straight out of the comics, at least not the traditional design (Prime Sentinels, perhaps). These were ruthless and relentless. They worked for me.

Fox not making superhero films? Well... sure, but we have plenty already. Again, it's going to be great to see the X-Men in a more traditional superhero styling, but I don't feel entirely robbed by having seen them in a different way.

To clarify my stance (if my response so far hasn't gotten this point across), I'm more or less fine with this happening. I'm up for a full break from the Fox films, not out of dislike but for the sake of a new spin on them. I have cause for trepidation, but I'm sure Marvel's X-Men will be great overall. I was simply arguing that saying that the two properties were "back home" was a poor way of putting it. It suggests that they were always a part of the MCU in some way, just torn away by that dastardly Fox and now they get to return. Which, again, is why I mentioned that you can love the MCU and hate the Fox films as much as you want, but it's inarguable that the MCU was never the home of these characters. Them (the cheery F4 especially) fitting better into the MCU is a whole other thing, and meaning that when you say "home" is fine by me. But they're not "back home". That's all I meant.

wammyguide wrote: View Post

You know, I just realized something. First though, I don’t want anyone to think I have a weird theory, or I’m predicting something, I’m not.

Anyways, 20th Century Fox still owns the rights to Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Movie, and Turbo A Power Rangers Movie. I doubt they’ll do anything special with either of them, but it’d be nice to at the very least release both of them on Blu Ray.
Hmm... I wouldn't count on it. Way down in the list of priorities, I should imagine.
TealMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:31 PM #62
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

TealMystechRanger wrote: View Post

I'm sorry, but this is fucking ridiculous. Say what you want about the Fox films, think what you like about them coming to the MCU, but they're not "back home". Marvel Studios has never been their home, and they've never left Marvel Comics.
They kind of did leave, though. All that bad blood between movie studios totally screwed with the proper or natural application of the comic book characters.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:33 PM #63
> DrGreenEvil
The Good Doctor

DrGreenEvil
The Good Doctor

There is part of me that wonders since Disney will soon come into the sole rights of the original PR movies, if they might turn around and try selling them to Saban?
Disney and Saban have made major deals before.

Wouldn't be a bad thing. Bring nearly all of the franchise back under one roof, ala the recent X-Men/Fox to Disney/MCU situation.
Does Saban or Lionsgate own the recent movie?
DrGreenEvil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:37 PM #64
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Ankh Primo wrote: View Post

They kind of did leave, though. All that bad blood between movie studios totally screwed with the proper or natural application of the comic book characters.
Ha, I mean, that's true in a way (you'll have to excuse me for not thinking of the F4 immediately - I know their book got cancelled, but they're not really at the forefront (Four-front?) of my mind). I'd say I hope the X-books and F4 get fairer treatment now, but I'd also really like to see Marvel Comics sorting itself out generally. Aaaand that's a discussion that's not for this thread...

DrGreenEvil wrote: View Post

There is part of me that wonders since Disney will soon come into the sole rights of the original PR movies, if they might turn around and try selling them to Saban?
Disney and Saban have made major deals before.

Wouldn't be a bad thing. Bring nearly all of the franchise back under one roof, ala the recent X-Men/Fox to Disney/MCU situation.
Does Saban or Lionsgate own the recent movie?
Perhaps so... I'd say simply selling the rights back to Saban could be feasible, but then there's a part of me that imagines them not even bothering and just sitting on them.

Meanwhile, I mentioned the buyout to Mum earlier, and she mentioned seeing a post on Facebook about how Anastasia can now be a Disney Princess. I don't know if that'd really be the case, but there's a thought, haha!
Old December 14th, 2017, 02:51 PM #65
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Stan The Man chimes in

"A truly great piece of news!" Marvel legend Stan Lee briefly told Newsarama Thursday afternoon. "Now characters such as the X-Men and the Fantastic Four can come home to the place where they belong. It’s vitally important to have the Marvel characters under one roof. And now, as great as they were before, I can’t wait to see the wonders that will unfold!”
https://www.newsarama.com/37804-what...isney-fox.html
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 03:57 PM #66
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Those are some good words, but the cynic asshole in me laughs because perhaps Stan is so motivated by that shiny Disney Legends trophy.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 04:04 PM #67
> DrGreenEvil
The Good Doctor

DrGreenEvil
The Good Doctor

TealMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Meanwhile, I mentioned the buyout to Mum earlier, and she mentioned seeing a post on Facebook about how Anastasia can now be a Disney Princess. I don't know if that'd really be the case, but there's a thought, haha!
That is one of the bigger questions right now...
How will Disney incorporate, use, profit from the franchises they are buying?

We all know what they will do with the X-Men and Star Wars stuff.
But what about Buffy, Alien, Predator?
Will the Ice Age movies now become Disney's Ice Age?
Could Buffy and Anastasia start hanging out with Elsa and Jasmine?
DrGreenEvil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 04:39 PM #68
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Reboot, sequel, reboot.

Not everything Disney owns has Disney's name on it.

That said, the production company could easily change to Disney Digital.

The princesses NEVER get co-mingled, man.
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:46 PM #69
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

I also just read this.

In addition, thousands of old movies and television titles owned by Fox could be used to stock Disney’s streaming service.

“They need a lot more than the occasional movie and a collection of kids' library to support a subscription service,” Juenger wrote.

Fox’s library would help solve that problem. Fox owns such movies as “Avatar,” “Deadpool” and “X-Men.” Fox’s TV studio produces such hits as “The Simpsons,” “Family Guy,” and “This Is Us.” There’s also a treasure trove of beloved classics, including “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” “M*A*S*H,” “The Wonder Years” and such movies as “Wall Street,” “Home Alone” and “The Sound of Music.”

“The marriage of these assets creates a much more formidable Disney on both the content and streaming front for the coming years,” Ives said.
http://www.latimes.com/business/holl...214-story.html

I guess this means that Disney now owns the rights to distribute the two films that made Julie Andrews a legend of cinema, Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music. I also wouldn't be at all surprised if "Somewhere in My Memory" from Home Alone now becomes one of Disney's signature Christmas songs.
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 06:18 PM #70
> PinkRangerWannabe
I'm a Jen, not a Kimberly

PinkRangerWannabe
I'm a Jen, not a Kimberly

I got a good chuckle on Twitter today when I saw someone reminding us all that The Simpsons had predicted this in 1998.
PinkRangerWannabe is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 07:37 PM #71
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil

I think the negatives outweigh the positives by a wide margin.

I’m also pretty sure Fox never actually had the rights to Fantastic Four. They just distributed the films.
The 2nd Evil is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:05 PM #72
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

I’m also pretty sure Fox never actually had the rights to Fantastic Four. They just distributed the films.
Did they not produce them as well? Or was there a third party involved (or rather, that Fox were the third party, I suppose)? I'm pretty certain Marvel Studios didn't produce Fant4stic, and obviously the first two F4 films predate Marvel Studios.
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:33 PM #73
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Maybe they'll make decent Alien and Predator films now. Maybe they'll do a AvP that works. Maybe they'll sell off the IP, even.

Buffy is probably going to remain where it is, in the past with occasional anniversary rereleases.

I kind of expect a lot of redundancy properties, like kids properties will either be locked away to be forgotten about or even sold off possibly not even included in the purchase. Disney's got a strict method and structure for its kids stuff, I don't think they'd want to include anything made out of house retroactively.

No. Buffy isn't a princess and Anastasia is kind of forgotten about in general.

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

I wonder if they just wanted to control James Cameron and whatever technology he creates to make Avatar movies with from here on.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 10:47 PM #74
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Explain this:
Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

https://abload.de/img/screenshot2017-12-14aqtqt4.png

If there was any doubt, Fantastic Four is listed on Disney's site as one of the properties they've obtaining.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:22 AM #75
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

Explain this:
I missed that. Sorry?
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:26 AM #76
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

I missed that. Sorry?
That website says Disney now has control of Fantastic Four's movie rights.
Old December 15th, 2017, 06:55 AM #77
> The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Ankh Primo wrote: View Post

That website says Disney now has control of Fantastic Four's movie rights.
I understand that. That “sorry?” Was an apology for missing that link.
Old December 15th, 2017, 08:38 AM #78
> Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !

Otokusastu Zetto
KouseiRed to the rescue !

But what about Alien, Predator?
Well I can clearly see having them to be put with Avatar and becoming the third wheeled Franchise of Disney with another Cinematic Universe.

And who wouldn't love see a Predator rip the spine and the skull of a Na'vi
Otokusastu Zetto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 08:42 AM #79
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

And who wouldn't love see a Predator rip the spine and the skull of a Na'vi
Is not gonna happen with Disney hands.
Sevenlima is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 09:09 AM #80
> BluePR
Power Ranger

BluePR
Power Ranger

I don't hate or fear consolidation in general but going down to just 4 or 5 major movie companies does seem too small a market with too little competition, those ones being too big.

Specifically with superhero films, I don't think MCU films have been consistently better than adaptations from from other studios and I particularly don't like that they've become too crossover-y. And I think X-Men arguably makes more sense and works better without other, more popular superheroes being around. Although I agree the Fox film series ran out of steam.

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

Why not? Instead of Fantastic Four belonging to a studio that... never really believed in the franchise to begin with, given the watered down movies we got, it now belongs to a studio that will allow it to thrive and do things properly. The natural "home" for them is the studio that knows them best.
Well Disney Marvel ended the comic book for not wanting to share the characters and their popularity/revenues so they may know them well but not necessarily do them well.
BluePR is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote