Home Menu

Menu

Old February 21st, 2019, 04:17 AM #881
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

cognito29 wrote: View Post

The history teacher angle is interesting, but how would that have worked with the whole Mercer/Mesogog angle? It seems like you'd have to completely change the nature of the villains, like having them be another bunch of awakened demons, and falling back on that angle in every even-numbered series gets a little boring.
If they did the history teacher angle, then yeah Mesogog would have been some resurrected ancient evil, which I agree isn't too different from the norm. But I think it would have made Tommy fit in better. Mesogog could have been Zedd's original general sent to conquer the Earth (before Rita), that Tommy learns about.

In LoP they suggested that Tommy wanted to escape being a Ranger and a back story like the above could have explored more the burden of being a Ranger, which is something LoP hinted at but they never did anything with (I think the whole Tommy-stuck-in-the-suit, would have gone much better if it was used to bring conflict by exploring the downsides of losing so much of your life to being a ranger).

I liked how Mesogog was a modern threat, and that ties in better to SCIENCE! than history.
For me, what made Meogog interesting was that he didn't consider himself a villain and he had a cause beyond just being evil. Again this is something that LoP explored, but didn't go anywhere. I think you could have kept that aspect of him with a history background. But yeah, I do agree with you that they origin they gave for him was refreshing even though I don't feel they used it as much as they could have.

(I also maintain that people would probably have taken better to the whole science teacher thing if a) he hadn't been an actual Doctor,
I think it would have been neat if it was later revealed that Dr.O had lied about being a doctor, for the sole purposes of get a teaching job and recruiting new rangers. It would have been neat to see how the rangers react to their mentor lying to them. In MMPR Zordon always kept things close, but the Rangers never questioned it. It would have been neat if DT did have the Rangers question Tommy more and him keeping a secret about a fake PHD would have been a tool for that.

I didn't know this, and I'm not sure if I approve - unless by "the end" he meant Strange Relations, which I could kind of see. Certainly this explains why the both the actual change of sides and the clone were kind of half-assed.
I think he was supposed to be evil until near the finale. It would have worked if they contrasted Trent's human side (a shy, quiet guy) with his evil Ranger side. and explored how Trent knows the White Ranger is wrong, but he likes the new found confidence and thinks he may be able to make the White Ranger good.

To be fair, they did start doing this, but then I guess the Disney mandate spoiled their plans.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 07:24 AM #882
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

CSK97 wrote: View Post

What if the original Trini actress got the role of the first yellow ranger? Could she have meshed as well with Amy as Thuy Trang did?
What do you think?

Aubrey, from what I remember long ago of that pilot, had more spunk than Thuy did as the character. Overall, it probably wouldn't have changed the grand scheme of things too much cause they still would've been written in the roles. I feel like Aubrey's Trini would've been much like Aisha in terms of personality. As for whether the actors personally would've gotten along, no idea since I didn't know them then or now.

big smile wrote: View Post

I think it would have been neat if it was later revealed that Dr.O had lied about being a doctor, for the sole purposes of get a teaching job and recruiting new rangers. It would have been neat to see how the rangers react to their mentor lying to them. In MMPR Zordon always kept things close, but the Rangers never questioned it. It would have been neat if DT did have the Rangers question Tommy more and him keeping a secret about a fake PHD would have been a tool for that.
Faking it would've been funny, and actually worked better when JDF couldn't be there and he became a suit/invisible. The truth could've come out when he first got stuck in his suit, and being unable to even try and defend himself Mercer was brought in to sub and Tommy was facing some real issues. Not to mention an episode's worth of drama from the rangers. Though they likely would've gotten over it quickly if Tommy had said he did it because of Mesogog and wanting to find the artifacts they had worked on, etc etc.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:38 AM #883
> ⚡Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

musicman1482 wrote: View Post

How many people have seen every series?
*Raises hand*
Although, I think I missed about two episodes of Super Ninja Steel because... You know... I stopped caring about that season.
Morgan Lamia is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:37 AM #884
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

I think he was supposed to be evil until near the finale.
As I said, I don't agree with him being evil past the end of the 30s - it'd screw with the teamup and most of the episodes between there and the finale are Trent focuses. But then, I doubt Doug actually meant any further than that anyway - them all combining the zords is a pretty obvious point for the switch.
The only real thing that bugs me with that timing is that it somehow feels wrong for him to still be evil in Fighting Spirit ... but maybe if he showed the first substantial signs of breaking free, that would be good enough.

Definitely an interesting possibility, but I'm not sure how you'd resolve it.

For me, what made Meogog interesting was that he didn't consider himself a villain and he had a cause beyond just being evil.
It really says something about the usual PR villain complexity when "I want to create a world of dinosaurs" counts as a nuanced motive, eh?
cognito29 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:52 AM #885
> ⚡Taichi
Hero or Zero....

32 eBay
Taichi
Hero or Zero....

32 eBay

I didn't know this, and I'm not sure if I approve - unless by "the end" he meant Strange Relations, which I could kind of see. Certainly this explains why the both the actual change of sides and the clone were kind of half-assed.
You can blame that on Mikoto from Abaranger who was more of a villain and anti-hero. He only fought a couple of times with the Abaranger and had his own plans. (Think Vegeta from DBZ... starts out a really bad guy, slowly comes around, but still has his own scheme for things and whatever warrants his success.)

The fact that Trent was made good so early pretty much negated any character development. They would have had to do far more original footage... (and they did anyway), but evil White Ranger was more fun... thus... that clone.

I like the idea of Trent splitting... that would have been neat.

I don't know if you've seen Abaranger, but I would HIGHLY recommend it.
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:59 AM #886
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

CSK97 wrote: View Post

What if the original Trini actress got the role of the first yellow ranger? Could she have meshed as well with Amy as Thuy Trang did?
I hate to say it but pilot trini had a lot more personality than the thuy’s interpretation. Pilot trini would have been a better contrast to the rest of the cast and she wouldnt just be “billy’s translator”.
mmprfan09 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 10:24 AM #887
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

Taichi wrote: View Post

I don't know if you've seen Abaranger, but I would HIGHLY recommend it.
I'm a big fan of Abaranger - it's not my favourite Sentai like DT is for PR but it was one of my first and I really enjoyed the contrast. Honestly, Aba kind of spoiled me for modern Sentai in some ways -oh the action's got a lot better, but when was the last time you could even imagine them making anything that crazy - or that serious?

And Mikoto was definitely cool (if not as cool as he seemed in my first watch.)It was interesting to see a somewhat similar character in my recent Precure catchup....
Old February 21st, 2019, 12:19 PM #888
> Pixelated Prophet

Pixelated Prophet

Why does legacy of power not mention Joel, they show every one but him and we never see Cole's face but he is named? Legacy of power should be updated because this always bugged me.
Pixelated Prophet is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 01:59 PM #889
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

musicman1482 wrote: View Post

How many people have seen every series?
I've seen at least part of every season. Does that count?

I've seen every episode of MMPR-Lost Galaxy, all of Time Force, Ninja Storm-SPD, RPM, and Megaforce-Super Ninja Steel.

I've seen slightly over half of Wild Force (when it changed networks, I didn't care enough to follow in, except for watching Forever Red online).

I watched good chunks of Lightspeed Rescue and Samurai. I've only seen a few episodes each of Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive, and Jungle Fury.
BigMDtheSequel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 03:17 PM #890
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

I believe some have speculated that it's a likeness rights issue. Although it could also be coincidence.
Old February 21st, 2019, 03:44 PM #891
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Taichi wrote: View Post

You can blame that on Mikoto from Abaranger who was more of a villain and anti-hero. He only fought a couple of times with the Abaranger and had his own plans. (Think Vegeta from DBZ... starts out a really bad guy, slowly comes around, but still has his own scheme for things and whatever warrants his success.)
Mikoto in Abaranger it was a interesthing character in both ways, was Anti-Hero and Villan, honest something I liked in is story is when he comes to the Villans lair and take the Leadership role, since we never had a Evil Ranger was Main Villan in a Super Sentai/Power Rangers

The fact that Trent was made good so early pretty much negated any character development. They would have had to do far more original footage... (and they did anyway), but evil White Ranger was more fun... thus... that clone.

I like the idea of Trent splitting... that would have been neat.
The Storyarc of White White Ranger was cool, and a nice way of make is debut was ranger, because they make a connection between the Anton Mercer/Trent/Mesegog/Zelrax, because seems they really make Evil White Ranger had is own goals, and battle the Rangers and Mesegog, because all of that leading to another develoment of Mercer/Mesegog, because was a interesthing anaogy between Trent and Mercer.

The Trent splitting are you telling about happens for example during when Mercer save Trent becames good, and later we had the debuts of the White Dino Clone, I think they put the clone, because they already had plan to make Zeltrax gone, that is another thing, I wish they had used more the Zeltrax Power-up because he gone, and them returns more later for the Finale of the DT

I don't know if you've seen Abaranger, but I would HIGHLY recommend it.[/QUOTE]
Akumaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:09 PM #892
> sylarking
Power Ranger

sylarking
Power Ranger

As I said, I don't agree with him being evil past the end of the 30s - it'd screw with the teamup and most of the episodes between there and the finale are Trent focuses. But then, I doubt Doug actually meant any further than that anyway - them all combining the zords is a pretty obvious point for the switch.
Actually I want Trent to be evil for the rest of the series. It will be nice for a main bad guy to be a ranger.
sylarking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:28 PM #893
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

I just couldn't get into Zeo while it was initally airing in 1996. I just missed Kimberly too much and the whole ranger team was lacking some personality. Tommy, Adam, and Tanya were fine, but I didn't find Kat or Rocky all that interesting. I thought about maybe watching it again in the fall of that year since Jason came back, but I had to get my homework done and I found myself more entertained by watching Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? and reruns of Rugrats.
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:47 PM #894
> SSJSquidward
Power Ranger

SSJSquidward
Power Ranger

TBH, I'm really happy with Trent's arc. I preferred the whole mind control aspect being a callback to the 'Green with Evil' arc rather than being edgy AF. The one thing I would've preferred is if they didn't show Trent become the White Dino Ranger onscreen, but rather kept it until halfway through the arc, making the reveal more shocking. With Mikoto I never felt as though he was a true ranger, even when he joined the other Abarangers. With Trent though, he actually felt like a genuine part of the team when he joined.
SSJSquidward is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:54 PM #895
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

I just couldn't get into Zeo while it was initally airing in 1996. I just missed Kimberly too much and the whole ranger team was lacking some personality. Tommy, Adam, and Tanya were fine, but I didn't find Kat or Rocky all that interesting. I thought about maybe watching it again in the fall of that year since Jason came back, but I had to get my homework done and I found myself more entertained by watching Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? and reruns of Rugrats.
Rocky and Tanya were the best zeo characters, imo.

Rocky’s lols were a huge upgrade from what they tried with mmpr, Tanya was basically Aisha with character development. Adam was still kinda in the background to me, Kat was kinda useless imo and The show went back into Tommy obsession during zeo, with all of his focus episodes being horrible (besides king for a day)

Jason coming back was awesome but he was kinda just sidelined fighting cogs most of the time.
mmprfan09 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:58 PM #896
> Superanger
It's time to change

Superanger
It's time to change

Rewatching Time Force's final battle. It's a miracle the rangers such a brutal beating by the hands of Ransik. Such an intense battle
Superanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 11:02 PM #897
> sylarking
Power Ranger

sylarking
Power Ranger

SSJSquidward wrote: View Post

With Mikoto I never felt as though he was a true ranger, even when he joined the other Abarangers. With Trent though, he actually felt like a genuine part of the team when he joined.
Because he was an anti-ranger and it was refreshing.
sylarking is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 12:36 AM #898
> cognito29
Power Ranger

cognito29
Power Ranger

As I said, I like both Abaranger and DT in their own ways - so it shouldn't be surprising that I like both Mikoto and Trent's arcs in their own ways too, while also acknowledging their flaws. The former was indeed a unique twist (Ranger as big bad!) but went so far in that direction that his eventual redemption seemed too quick and implausible (it took me a while to get this, since I was "lucky" enough to watch the series out of order). The latter is clearly meant to be Tommy's intro arc rewritten in front of him, which is why on reflection I even like that he has the "clone" and "power issues" parts - I just wish they'd been handled properly instead of kind of tacked on, but I guess producers can be that way about things that are forced on them. (See: total squandering of Omega Ranger as a character.)
Old February 22nd, 2019, 01:38 AM #899
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

It really says something about the usual PR villain complexity when "I want to create a world of dinosaurs" counts as a nuanced motive, eh?
There's a scene in LoP where Mesogog says something like "That depends on who you think is the villain." It sounded like they were going to set him up not to be your usual evil-for-the-sake-of-being-evil villain, but someone who actually had motivations and story behind their deeds. Sadly it never went anywhere. But I liked the potential that was there for him in LoP.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 04:14 AM #900
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

^ That could really had potencial for futher in the story, for Mesegog are there, there are others reasons, something like another Evil, and Mesegog could had is own purposes, but there are something or someone behind the curtain could had destro the Rangers and Mesegog, could be the reason for Mesegog want the Power of the Dino gems...for example something like Mesegog had foubd some Ancient Evil, kind similar to The Master in Mystic Force, because in some seasons we always had the villans for sore, but in the case since we get in Mystic Force The Master, could be something similar.
Akumaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote