Home Menu

Menu

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:57 AM #3901
> barnardos
Power Ranger

barnardos
Power Ranger

Question just out of curiosity for those with a good grasp of Japanese as mine is very basic. OT has translated "daikan" and "karou" as "malicestrate" and "menaster" which I suppose are portmanteaux of malice/magistrate and menace/master. My question is that as far as I know, those japanese terms are actually used for actual government official rankings, so I'm wondering if there's an actual pun in those names that I'm missing, or if not then if there's some other reason for not just using "magistrate" and "master".
barnardos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:33 AM #3902
> Merlin
Blades of Legend

Merlin
Blades of Legend

barnardos wrote: View Post

Question just out of curiosity for those with a good grasp of Japanese as mine is very basic. OT has translated "daikan" and "karou" as "malicestrate" and "menaster" which I suppose are portmanteaux of malice/magistrate and menace/master. My question is that as far as I know, those japanese terms are actually used for actual government official rankings, so I'm wondering if there's an actual pun in those names that I'm missing, or if not then if there's some other reason for not just using "magistrate" and "master".
It's similar but not the same.

The real word magistrate is 代官 daikan. But the Jark person is ダイカーン in katakana, which is daikaan with an extra -a. This means, like the Spada/Sparda thing, you could turn it to Daikarn, Daikurn, or any variation.

The real word minister is 家老 karou but the Jark is spelled カロー, not in kanji.

A general rule of Japanese fiction is as long as any title is spelled in katakana instead of kanji, it has more flexibility for interpretation since katakana is about combinations of sounds more than real words. So to a Japanese, O-T would be permitted to play around with word puns to English.

The only kanji word that demonstrates that Jark Matter should be regarded as a shogunate is its formal title 宇宙幕府 Space Bakufu. But even Don Armage himself is called the ショーグン shougun instead of 将軍, the actual word for a shogun ruler.

I think the implication is that these are aliens from outer space who happen to be organized like a Japanese shogunate. But since they're not actually Japanese humans, they don't have to be regarded specifically by those governing titles.
Merlin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:22 AM #3903
> barnardos
Power Ranger

barnardos
Power Ranger

Thanks Merlin!

And *facepalm* at me not picking up the menacester/minister thing - it sounds so obvious once you say it out loud.
barnardos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:38 PM #3904
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

So, with Koguma SkyBlue showing up next episode, Koguma KyuTama I think will be translated as "Ursa Minor Kyu Globe" per precedence. Yet, do you think Over-Time will translate "Koguma SkyBlue" as "Ursa Minor Sky Blue"? That's a mouthful for a ranger haha. What if they just make it like "Ursa SkyBlue" and just use "Ursa Major SkyBlue" if he form changed? Or maybe just say "Major Form" if the form is just said as a pass by?

Merlin wrote: View Post

DracoViolet or DracoPurple isn't as bad.
Do you know something we don't that you predicted Shou's incomplete form?

Last edited by zjranger; April 11th, 2017 at 10:45 PM.
zjranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 04:21 PM #3905
> StriderXanthos
Banned

StriderXanthos
Banned

TV Nihon is overhated. They've started out providing subs for the Kamen Rider community, yet receive constant criticisms for slight mis-errors and translations. Even in their early years, they've been mocked for providing us with Kamen Rider and since then they've attempted to improve over the years, translating a ton of content even when Overtime started. I can't say more since there's a thunderstorm right now
StriderXanthos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 03:52 AM #3906
> Otokusastu Zetto
♥ Worship our LupinKudo ♥

Otokusastu Zetto
♥ Worship our LupinKudo ♥

TV Nihon what's the deal with them and the hate ?

I just didn't like that they kept Jyuohger instead of Zyuohger.A Z makes more sens to me..
Otokusastu Zetto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 04:36 AM #3907
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

A lot of the hate they get, is due to their refusing to translate things, and instead just put an editors note. Even if it's 3 or four episodes AFTER the term is first used. (IE.. Black and White Lawyer) And the "Kitaaaaaa!" The need to add things such as "Tachi" and stuff as well. The weird ass translations "We're the strongest of the braves!" doesn't even make sense.. Even in Kyoryuger.

Also, though they may have gotten better, their attitude back in the day has made me despise them. On their IRC channel, they'd ban people for "Breaking the rules" when people didn't... They just didn't like the questions being asked.
Tigran is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 05:56 PM #3908
> monkeyjb1988
Power Ranger

monkeyjb1988
Power Ranger

Yeah, other than weird spelling errors, I never had a problem with TV-Nihon. I don't get the hate either. The only bad sub is for a series never completed, and every group has one. I appreciate every sub group for making toku more understandable and, thus, more enjoyable.
monkeyjb1988 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 05:59 PM #3909
> Tigran
Power Ranger

Tigran
Power Ranger

I'll still argue not translating things is a "BAD SUB."

Even something as simple as OOOs. While I hate their editor notes all the time, simple ones to say what some of the medals were in english would have been helpful.

And.. How is subbing something almost as badly as HK subs "We are the strongest of the braves!" make them any good?
Tigran is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:16 PM #3910
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Especially when it comes to words that not only have direct English equivalents but often times explicitly just mean that specific thing("mother" in Magiranger for example). To be honest, while I prefer a more liberal translation like Overtime and the like do I'll generally watch whatever's available (including HK subs and even raws if necessary).
Akiba Black is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:28 PM #3911
> Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

I just didn't like that they kept Jyuohger instead of Zyuohger.A Z makes more sens to me..
Their translations are bad for people not familiar with Japanese (y'know, the main reason for watching subtitles) and they use atrocious typesetting combined with animations that distract from the actual show. I don't watch tokusatsu for high school-tier Flash text animations, I watch it for the show.

The point of subtitles is to give you as close of an English-equivalent experience to the original as you can and flashy text defeats the purpose of that.
Cuchulainn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:40 PM #3912
> Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

Nasaniaru
PR BACK IN ACTION!!!

Otokusastu Zetto wrote: View Post

I honestly would prefer "Zyuohger" to be transliterized as "Juuohger" as the "Juu" meaning "beast" would be transliterized consistently with "ChouJUU" or "Super Beast" Sentai Liveman, "SeiJUU" or "Star Beast" Sentai Gingaman, "HyakuJUU" or "Hundred Beast" Sentai Gaoranger, and "JUUken" or "Beast Fist" Sentai Gekiranger. It seems that for whatever reason, Toei chooses to be inconsistent with Kyouryuu Sentai "Zyuranger" or "Beast Ranger," "Zyuden" or "Beastricity" Sentai Kyouryuuger, and Dobutsu Sentai "Zyuohger" or "Beast Kingger" It has bugged me since I learned about the "Beast" kanji and how it is being inconsistently transliterized.

Like, am I missing some strange rule in Japanese language that states if the Beast kanji is paired with some kanji, it transliterizes as "Juu" but when paired with other kanji it becomes transliterized ast "Zyu" or is the explanation as simple as I believe it to be and Toei's just inconsistent in the rules of transliterization?

Any help on this issue would be actually greatly appreciated as it will help deepen my knowledge of the Japanese language which I am trying to learn.
Nasaniaru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 06:46 PM #3913
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Especially when it comes to words that not only have direct English equivalents but often times explicitly just mean that specific thing("mother" in Magiranger for example).
Wait wait wait.

Are you telling me that Kacchan wasn't a member of the Ozu family?
timegold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 10:22 PM #3914
> HydroFlyer2.0
Ranger Reviews on YouTube

HydroFlyer2.0
Ranger Reviews on YouTube

Nasaniaru wrote: View Post

Any help on this issue would be actually greatly appreciated as it will help deepen my knowledge of the Japanese language which I am trying to learn.
In Japanese, they like to stylize things that sound normally be spelled with a "J" with a "Z" instead just because it looks cooler, I believe, from a marketing standpoint. That's why you see both. For example, the next series of Kamen Rider is called Kamen Rider "Jiiou", but it's being written in English on the logo as "Zi-O". They're pronounced the exact same way in Japanese from their perspective. "Z" isn't really that common of a letter to be used in Japanese, unless it's in "zu".

You also see this switch in English if you look at the translation of Godzilla from Gojira.
HydroFlyer2.0 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 10:32 PM #3915
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Tigran wrote: View Post

Also, though they may have gotten better, their attitude back in the day has made me despise them. On their IRC channel, they'd ban people for "Breaking the rules" when people didn't... They just didn't like the questions being asked.
That was KingRanger and he hasn't been a part of TV-Nihon for a long time.

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

Their translations are bad for people not familiar with Japanese (y'know, the main reason for watching subtitles) and they use atrocious typesetting combined with animations that distract from the actual show. I don't watch tokusatsu for high school-tier Flash text animations, I watch it for the show.

The point of subtitles is to give you as close of an English-equivalent experience to the original as you can and flashy text defeats the purpose of that.
If you watch it for the show, watch it raw! If you rely on subtitles be grateful someone's providing them for free. That doesn't mean you have to like every choice they make but they are doing this for free, no one's there getting paid to translate, time, typeset etc. the episodes, they're doing it anyway to make them accessible to people who don't speak japanese and that deserves at least respect.

No other toku fansub group has pumped out episodes as long and consistently as they have, they are very reliable and have been for around 15 years!

Their style is flashy, it is what it is and it won't change. Effects for attacks, different fonts and colors for different characters etc. add character to the subtitles and many people like that and they are not wrong for liking it.

TV-Nihon has a tendency of leaving things in japanese for "flavor" (or whatever you wanna call it) and to translate as literal as possible even if that leads to some awkward wording and loss of puns in the dialog.
Over-Time on the other hand translates more freely and likes to preserve puns even if that necessitates throwing out and rewriting the original dialog, their subs flow better and sound more natural but because of the liberties they take sometimes what we read isn't actually what the characters said. It also leads to things like Kamen Rider Ornac where a character is renamed to preserve an unimportant pun and of course there was the Go-Buster Oh debacle.
Neither approach is better than the other, they just appeal to different people.

And if that sounds like I'm fanboying over TV-Nihon I'm not, I actually prefer Over-Time's style (minus them translating names) but it annoys me when TV-Nihon gets hate just because the thing they do for free isn't done the way some people want it done.

HydroFlyer2.0 wrote: View Post

In Japanese, they like to stylize things that sound normally be spelled with a "J" with a "Z" instead just because it looks cooler, I believe, from a marketing standpoint. That's why you see both. For example, the next series of Kamen Rider is called Kamen Rider "Jiiou", but it's being written in English on the logo as "Zi-O". They're pronounced the exact same way in Japanese from their perspective. "Z" isn't really that common of a letter to be used in Japanese, unless it's in "zu".

You also see this switch in English if you look at the translation of Godzilla from Gojira.
It's not just because it looks cooler (although in some cases that's probably part of the reason), there are several ways to romanize japanese and if the kunrei romanization is used using Z instead of J is correct. J only makes sense using Hepburn but Hepburn was created to make english speakers pronounce it correctly.
An english speaker reads Juu and pronounces it close to the japanese way but I as a native german speaker would pronounce it like "You" (if I had no prior knowledge how to say it), which is why I look at Hepburn as an inferior romanization system.
Kunrei doesn't use pronunciation to romanize but the kana that are used and that is superior because you know which kana are used. Zyu and Dyu are pronounced identical but are written differently in japanese, kunrei reflects that, Hepburn does not.

Godzilla/Gojira is a funny example, it is written in japanese as ゴジラ, using kunrei is would be romanized as Gozira, using hepburn it would be Gojira or more likely Gojila (as it's closer to the japanese pronunciation). I have no idea where Godzilla comes from because it's not a romanization of the original name at all, it's a new name that only sounds kinda sorta similar to the original one.

Last edited by Salted Pepper; August 10th, 2018 at 11:06 PM.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:09 PM #3916
> Ryoutarou
Dot

Ryoutarou
Dot

Nasaniaru wrote: View Post

Like, am I missing some strange rule in Japanese language that states if the Beast kanji is paired with some kanji, it transliterizes as "Juu" but when paired with other kanji it becomes transliterized ast "Zyu" or is the explanation as simple as I believe it to be and Toei's just inconsistent in the rules of transliterization?

HydroFlyer2.0 wrote: View Post

It's actually because they're using two different forms of romanization. There's Heburn and Kunrei as the two widely used forms. Hepburn is what renders ジ as ji while Kunrei is what renders ジ as zi. Heburn is typically what people who type Japanese words using roman letters on the internet use for...whatever reason, it's just sorta always been the norm. Kunrei is the romanization system used by the Japanese government and the one most often taught in American schools. (it's the one I was taught in my first Japanese course)

As for why Toei and Bamco decide to use one over the other \_(ツ)_/ All you need to remember is that, regardless of how it's spelled using Roman letters, it's still pronounced the same. (which makes the Zeo jokes weird to me haha)
Ryoutarou is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:20 PM #3917
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

I have no idea where Godzilla comes from because it's not a romanization of the original name at all, it's a new name that only sounds kinda sorta similar to the original one.
Americanized corruption of the original Japanese name. One that ended up sticking after the 1956 movie.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 11:24 PM #3918
> Jerry
Hates "Let's Play"

Jerry
Hates "Let's Play"

Tigran wrote: View Post

Even something as simple as OOOs. While I hate their editor notes all the time, simple ones to say what some of the medals were in english would have been helpful.
I guess this comes down to preference, because I probably would have never learned that "taka" was "hawk" or "zou" was "elephant" without them being put on screen as what was actually being said by the belt. It's a silly way to learn bits of Japanese, but it's what I have because I'm lazy.
Jerry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote