Home Menu

Menu

Old August 18th, 2018, 09:44 AM #3061
> DesignIncase
Power Ranger

DesignIncase
Power Ranger

The video is fine. When it comes to painting, experimenting is important.

So the video shows what happens when you apply a metallic base coat and thin apply thin layers of another paint after the base dries. You get the sheen of the previous coat but the color of the next.

You could mix them but it will probably look different then this application. Neither is wrong, just depends on the finish you desire.

Someone commented on why he didn't thin them. It may have helped apply it if the paint is too thick, but again personal preference.

Priming is good for helping the later coats of paint stick. It also helps to deal with tiny scratches on the surface. Now for parts like the one you wish to paint. The surface is already pretty smooth and after as quick soap and water, you'd probably be fine applying paint.
DesignIncase is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 19th, 2018, 09:24 AM #3062
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kumy25wCk48
This one is a solid video. They show you effective spray-can techniques when using primer but also how to use an airbrush.
That's a great video. Thanks for posting!

But I've still got questions on my mind:

I want to custom one of my sentai Yu-Do figures (those candy toys that I assume are made of plastic)

I want to change the color from pink to blue. Since it's a simply change (most of the figure is the color I want to replace and the few places that aren't can be covered by tape) and there's no way to dissamble the figure that I know of, I can just spray paint it? Or should I still apply the white layer and then try out the airbrush thing? To be honest I wonder if it's possible just to spray it.

Another important detail with the figure is that you are supposed to put stickers on it. What should pay attention to after I paint the figure with the color I want? Should I use any other kind of product so the glue of the sticker will, well, stick to the painted figure?
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2018, 11:56 AM #3063
> Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post

I want to change the color from pink to blue. Since it's a simply change (most of the figure is the color I want to replace and the few places that aren't can be covered by tape) and there's no way to dissamble the figure that I know of, I can just spray paint it? Or should I still apply the white layer and then try out the airbrush thing? To be honest I wonder if it's possible just to spray it.
Using an airbrush will give you better results but using spray cans will work fine. When painting a figure fully assembled you sometimes have to manually sand/cut down areas where the joints would rub together, so check that before painting it. Also, you should always prime no matter what. Airbrush, spraycan, hand-painting, always prime it.

Spider-Phoenix wrote:
Another important detail with the figure is that you are supposed to put stickers on it. What should pay attention to after I paint the figure with the color I want? Should I use any other kind of product so the glue of the sticker will, well, stick to the painted figure?
I'd apply the stickers after painting, if that's what you're asking. As for adhesives, I've found Elmer's glue does the trick. Just a tiny bit of it will help keep stickers in place. Otherwise, you should topcoat the figure when you're done because it'll protect the paint and the stickers.

Yu-Do & So-Do figures are tricky because I've wanted to paint a few myself but the areas you apply stickers to have almost zero sculpted detail underneath, so it's impossible to hand-paint the details in. But if you're using the stickers anyway you should be fine.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 19th, 2018, 01:07 PM #3064
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

So assuming I want a lighter tone, I still have to spray that Tamiya Prime white spray thing before I apply the spray of the color I want right?

By the way, he mentioned something about "sanding". What's the name of that product? Or for the customization I'm trying to do it's not necessary?
Old August 19th, 2018, 01:58 PM #3065
> Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

So assuming I want a lighter tone, I still have to spray that Tamiya Prime white spray thing before I apply the spray of the color I want right?
Generally, yes. Sometimes a darker primer tone is preferable if the color is really "aggressive", for example something like yellow or red. But the color change you're doing should work fine. If white primer doesn't work, gray might fare better. But white should be fine.

If you aren't sure, try testing primers and paints out on some throwaway plastic pieces. That's a great way of figuring things out.

Spider-Phoenix wrote:
By the way, he mentioned something about "sanding". What's the name of that product? Or for the customization I'm trying to do it's not necessary?
There's no one "sanding" product. He just means using sandpaper, sanding sticks, or metal files to make the surface more abrasive. You can do that if you want because it'll make the paint "bite" into the plastic more effectively, but you'll want it to be a fine grit, otherwise it'll just show through the paint as a ton of scratches. Sanding isn't 100% necessary, though.
I suggest looking up sanding grits online and figuring out how those work so you don't accidentally buy one that doesn't work.
Old August 19th, 2018, 02:34 PM #3066
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

You know, language barrier is annoying me again because I have no idea what these sandpaper, sanding sticks, or metal files are supposed to be

Not abusing your good will, but could you post pics of those things so I can figure out what they mean in my home language and later look them up online?

Anyway, I think I'll use the Prime White for what I intend to do. All the materials I'll need are expensive here and I don't have too much to spend for a whim of mine lol

Again, thank you very much for all tips!
Old August 19th, 2018, 02:56 PM #3067
> Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

You know, language barrier is annoying me again because I have no idea what these sandpaper, sanding sticks, or metal files are supposed to be
Not abusing your good will, but could you post pics of those things so I can figure out what they mean in my home language and later look them up online?
Sure. English is weird.

^ Sandpaper.

^ Sanding sticks.

^ Sanding files/metal files.
Old August 19th, 2018, 03:07 PM #3068
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Wait, so those things are Sanding sticks? Are those the same ones woman use on their nails?

If yes, then I can easily find them cheaply on the nearest drug store lol.

How many do you think I need to use on a yu-do figure? I mean, I assume I'll need to use more than one.

(sorry for all the questions, but I'm a first timer who wants to do its first custom completly confident what he's doing)
Old August 19th, 2018, 03:22 PM #3069
> Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Wait, so those things are Sanding sticks? Are those the same ones woman use on their nails?

If yes, then I can easily find them cheaply on the nearest drug store lol.
They... should work? The ones for nails aren't made the same way as the ones for plastic, but I could see them working.

Spider-Phoenix wrote:
How many do you think I need to use on a yu-do figure? I mean, I assume I'll need to use more than one.
I can't speak for cosmetic sanding sticks, but I usually replace my sanding sticks after using them for a month or after one really big project. You probably won't need to use more than one on your Yu-Do figure because it's so small. I do think sandpaper would work better but the sticks should be alright.

Spider-Phoenix wrote:
(sorry for all the questions, but I'm a first timer who wants to do its first custom completly confident what he's doing)
You're fine. Just understand that you can know how to do everything right and still fuck up. I fuck up all the time even though I've been at all this for a while. It's just a matter of practice. Definitely test everything out on throwaway plastics first.
Old August 19th, 2018, 03:27 PM #3070
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

So those aren't the sanding sticks I was thinking :/

So are they the ones one can purchase on those stores that sell things for building houses and buildings?

Thanks for the tips on practicing. I think I still have a few bootlegs toys from my childhood lying somewhere. Might just grab them and wreak havoc until I get reasonably good at it.
Old August 19th, 2018, 03:32 PM #3071
> Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

So are they the ones one can purchase on those stores that sell things for building houses and buildings?
You could probably use those, but there are sanding sticks & files made specifically for model kits & toys. If there are any hobby stores near you that sell model cars or trains, I'm like 90% sure they'll have everything you need for sanding.
Old August 19th, 2018, 03:55 PM #3072
> Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

It's actually being rather difficult to find all those materials. Gee, the Primer painting I've found in our equivalent of eBay is costing a lot. Checked Tamiya site and they seem to have an agent here on Brazil. Tried to contact him requesting all the materials (primer, the spray paint, sanding and the tape).

What is impressing me is that all the hobby stores I'm researching online either don't have the stuff or are sold out. Talk about niche markets.

Thanks for all the assistence, Cuchulainn! I hope I can post the final result here in future!
Old August 19th, 2018, 04:00 PM #3073
> Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Cuchulainn
hound of ulster

Yeah, buying foreign paints & primers can be a problem due to safety standards so they're sometimes marked up. You can always resort to cheaper primers or paints like Krylon if you absolutely have to. Tamiya & MrHobby paints are great but not worth the price if you're paying $20 a can.

But yeah, good luck with your project. If you make any mistakes don't feel disheartened. Everything is a learning experience.
Old August 20th, 2018, 04:22 PM #3074
> Soulspice
@ListenAnyway

Soulspice
@ListenAnyway

EDITED to add all pics in same post

Last edited by Soulspice; August 22nd, 2018 at 04:32 AM.
Soulspice is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 06:13 AM #3075
> NrinVakil
1700's Clone Tommy

NrinVakil
1700's Clone Tommy

Love these!!! Hasbro better make these guys and gals
NrinVakil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 09:45 AM #3076
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

I got the parts yesterday. I'm glad they're in pieces. Pictures made it look like it was already assembled. It should make painting easier

The model part barely fits into the back port of iron man because it's recessed

Might need to sand down one of the pieces for it to go into the back properly

Whoops! I forgot figuarts provided a port extension piece.

Last edited by Gold Samurai; August 21st, 2018 at 01:29 PM.
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 02:34 PM #3077
> ⚡Taichi
Paint it Red...

32 eBay
Taichi
Paint it Red...

32 eBay

Dude, it looks amazing!! Did you figure out how you're going to paint it?
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 05:07 PM #3078
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Dangit. I forgot that Bandai gave you a little port extension. I already cut the original connector and superglued a piece that would work

Surprisingly there's no problems at all with plugging in the wing unit. I was worried the port might be too small or too large.

Taichi wrote: View Post

Dude, it looks amazing!! Did you figure out how you're going to paint it?
Well. I thought about asking someone at the mall who spray paints T-Shirts lol. That will probably be a weird request but hey. couldn't hurt.

If that fails and he tells me to go away then I'll just buy spray paint at the hobby shop
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 04:34 AM #3079
> Soulspice
@ListenAnyway

Soulspice
@ListenAnyway

Finally finished the HyperForce customs project.

Last edited by Soulspice; August 22nd, 2018 at 04:43 AM.
Soulspice is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:22 AM #3080
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

They look fantastic! So cool to see the team in plastic form. Great work!
TealMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote