Home Menu

Menu

Old August 12th, 2018, 06:42 AM #41
> Ryuranger
Ryuranger.com

Ryuranger
Ryuranger.com

Nice to see an update. I do have a suggestion though, you might want to consider adding spacing between the paragraphs to make it easier to read.
Ryuranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2018, 07:28 AM #42
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

Ryuranger wrote: View Post

Nice to see an update. I do have a suggestion though, you might want to consider adding spacing between the paragraphs to make it easier to read.
You know, I’ve tried on some of my old fanfictions and it didn’t work out but I’ll try again later today.
MakaiRanger99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 08:24 PM #43
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

The final chapter of Episode 1 has been updated with my audiobook version. Please check it out! I asked a friend of mine to write and perform an original ending theme which will be featured at the end of each episode. If you haven't listened to any of the chapters yet, I made a playlist which puts all 6 chapters together.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...f9JET94Mc61VJi

Also, please check out my friend's YouTube channel as well:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW8...rxvAnR6JRrpWtg
Old September 1st, 2018, 08:31 PM #44
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

I've begun work on Episode 4 and I've uploaded the audiobook version of Episode 2, Chapter 1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPvR5T2NVs0 . Enjoy!!
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:39 PM #45
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

Hey all, just wanted to provide an update of what I've been working on! First off, episode 4 should be done hopefully by the end of this week. After Episode 4 is done, I'll continue working on the next chapter for the Audiobook version.

Next, I've put together a guide of sorts to my story. It features many terms used in the story and will be updated from time to time as more episodes are completed and I add more terms to the guide. This will also be great for people who may not be totally familiar with the Garo Franchise. It will also include some information not mentioned in the story yet.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Hope you guys like it, stay tuned for Episode 4!
Old October 9th, 2018, 08:57 PM #46
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

MOON

Chapter 1
20:50

It had been a few days since Maya’s incident at the Senate. Drake was imprisoned for the time being until a Darkness Hunter could come to the Senate to investigate his actions and determine if Drake had really fell to darkness.

Darkness Hunters were Makai Priests who trained specifically to fight not just Horrors, but Makai Knights and other Priests. A Darkness Hunter would use a Soul Insertion spell to place themselves inside of anyone they wished simply by making eye contact with them. From there, the Priest could determine if their target had fallen to darkness or not. Time moves differently while inside a person’s soul. To the outside world, the process may appear to only take a second or two. But for the Makai Priest inside, it may seem like hours or, in rare cases, even days. On top of that, a Soul Insertion spell was risky. A Darkness Hunter could be killed by the target’s inner defenses while performing the spell.

Jason and Amanda had been recovering since Drake’s attack. They stayed in separate chambers while they were examined and treated. The room Jason was in looked similar to a normal hospital room outside of the Makai Order, with the exception of the gold chandelier that hung over his bed--just like each room in the Senate building. Jason had an IV hooked up to his arm which pumped green, glowing healing fluid into him. The room itself reminded Jason of one of his fonder childhood memories.

Many years ago, before he had begun training to be a Makai Knight, Jason had visited a room just like this one when his father had brought him to work with him one day. Jason’s father was a doctor who worked at a very large and busy hospital not too far from his hometown. Jason was only 5 years old when he came with his father, Scott, to work. Scott brought his son into one of the unoccupied hospital rooms on the third floor. The room looked brand new; its two beds were just made, the floor had been cleaned, and it didn’t smell like the other rooms they had passed on the way.

“So, Jase,” Scott began as he picked Jason up and sat him on one of the beds. “Do you know why I brought you to work with me today?”

“Yeah,” Jason replied. Scott raised an eyebrow. He grabbed one of chairs, rolled it to the bed and sat down in front of him.

“Really?” Scott asked. Jason nodded, smiling. “Ok, smart guy. Why?” Jason thought for a moment.

“Ummm...because you’re mad that mommy always shows me where she works.” This caused Scott to laugh.

“Your mother works all over the place. And no, I’m not mad!” Scott rolled his chair a bit closer to him. “I wanted to show you what I do because it’s just like what Mommy does.”

“You fight monsters too?” Jason asked, confused.

“Not exactly, bud,” Scott began. “Let me ask you something: do you know why mommy is a Makai Priest?”

“To fight the monsters!” Jason exclaimed.

“That’s part of it,” Scott told him. “But why does she fight Horrors?”

“They’re the bad guys,” he answered.

“They are. But she doesn’t fight them because they’re the bad guys,” Scott pointed his finger at Jason’s chest. “She fights them to protect you. And to protect me. And everyone else a Horror might threaten.” Then Scott put his arm around Jason’s shoulder. “Did you know that it was in this very room that I met your mother?” Jason shook his head.

“Back then, I had just started working here for only a couple of months, and there was a lot I was still learning. So, I brought her to this room. Her leg was cut up really bad. We weren’t told exactly how it happened to her, just that it needed to be treated right away. So, I did what I could to keep her from bleeding so much.”

“What did you do?” Jason asked.

“You wouldn’t understand, son,” Scott replied. “When you’re older, if you really want to know, I’ll tell you. But that’s not what this story is about. Anyway, I did what I could to keep her alive and as you know, clearly it worked. We talked for hours after that, and often in the days that followed. Not about her leg, but about other stuff. We didn’t have much in common, but I could tell she was someone special. At the time, though, I didn’t know about the monsters. And so, not knowing any better, a few days later I brought in her roommate. It was a young woman, maybe just over 20 or so. She had cut her back bad. We stitched her up and brought her in the same room as your mother. And as soon as I wheeled her in, the look on your mother’s face told me I had made a huge mistake. As to what that mistake was, I wasn’t sure just yet. But I found out very quickly.”

“What mistake?” Jason asked.

“Your mother’s new room mate was the Horror that had cut her leg a few days before. The Horror had faked its injury to get close enough to eat us both.”

“Did mommy kill it?”

“She did. I had saved her life days before, and she did the same for me that day.” Jason thought for a moment, then spoke up.

“So, What’s the point?”

“The point is that I wanted to show you what I do. To show you that you don’t have to be a Makai Priest or a Knight when you grow up. That you can have a normal job and still help people.” Jason looked as though he was considering what his father told him.

“But I wanna fight the monsters just like Mommy and Grandpa do!” Jason pleaded. Scott sighed.

“If that’s what you want, you can certainly do that,” Scott said. “But if you only care about fighting monsters and nothing else, you’ll never be a true protector like mommy. You need to understand that she does more than just fighting monsters. She keeps people safe. I keep people safe too. However, just because that’s our job, doesn’t always mean we win. More often than not, things don’t go as you plan and sometimes, others will suffer for it.” Scott gestured at the room they were sitting in.

“This room isn’t just where I met your mother, Jason,” he began. “This room is also where I failed someone.” Jason tilted his head, wondering what he meant. “The reason this room looks so clean is because just recently, one of my patients died here, and they cleaned it out after they took his body away.”

“Really?” Jason asked. Scott nodded. “So...why aren’t you sad?”

“Oh I am,” he corrected him. “But it’s part of the job. I did everything I could for him. But sometimes life isn’t fair. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you’re going to fail. You’re going to fail yourself. You’re going to fail others. It happens to everyone. But being a good doctor or a good Makai Knight isn’t about how often you fail. It’s about what you do about it afterwards. You can follow in your mother’s footsteps if you want. You can follow in mine. You can choose your grandfather’s path. Or you can choose your own path. But remember, no matter what path you pick, and how many times you fail, how many people you may let down, you’ll always be my son and I’ll always be proud of you, no matter what.”

“Hey, Jason,” Zaruba said. Jason lifted his hand to look at Zaruba. “You know what tomorrow is, correct?”

“Uhh...Friday?” Jason guessed. Before Zaruba could clarify, there was a knock at the stone door.

“Come in,” Jason said. The door was opened by one of Garm’s guards as Garm herself stepped in.

“Are you ready to get back to work?” Garm asked. Jason sat up in his bed.

“Probably,” he replied as he started stretching his body. “Any changes in Maya’s condition?”

“She’s sedated for now. To prevent any future outbursts while they continue running tests on her. But right now, I have a job for you.”

“Hold it!” Zaruba said. Garm waited for Zaruba to speak. “Tomorrow is the new moon. Jason will be unable to help.”

“Oh, right, I totally forgot,” Jason replied as he slapped his forehead. Then he turned to Garm. “Do you have anyone else who can take care of this?”

“This is a very powerful Horror,” Garm answered. “I don’t know if anyone else will be able to handle it. You don’t think you would be able to find it before tomorrow morning?”

“What’s going on?” the voice came from the door behind Garm. It was Amanda, still wounded, but standing on her own. She was carrying her dark green Madou coat in her right hand and dressed again in her black shirt, shorts, and boots. It looked as though she just got out of bed for the first time since she was injured.

“A powerful Horror has appeared in the nearby town,” Garm answered. “I was going to ask the Golden Knight to hunt it but tomorrow is the new moon.”
“What does that mean, exactly?” Amanda asked. This time, Zaruba spoke up.

“It means that it is the day of promise,” Zaruba explained. “As part of my contract with Jason, once a month, a day of his life is converted into a month of mine. During this time, as I rejuvenate my spirit with his life energy, he will be in stasis for 24 hours. This is necessary for me to remain an active partner to the Golden Knight. It is a contract I have formed with every Golden Knight before him. At least, the ones I remember.”

“Ok so let me hunt this Horror then,” Amanda replied. Garm looked at her in surprise.

“This Horror may be too strong for even you, Amanda,” Garm warned. “Though I am having difficulty in determining a suitable replacement for the time being. The knight in this district is on a different assignment. And we need every other Knight we can use to guard the Senate building in case a Horror or something else tries to go after Maya again. What do you think, Garo?” Garm turned her head to Jason, her arms folded now. Jason let out a long sigh.

“I don’t know,” Jason answered. Amanda looked disappointed in his response. Jason noticed her face change as he spoke. But he had to voice his concern. “The Sidiovax assignment was the first time I had seen her in a few years. We were able to work well together then, and again when we were attacked by Autrop, but I still don’t know if I can fully trust her just yet. However, she’s a Senatorial Priestess now. The decision isn’t mine.”

“True,” Garm said as she turned to Amanda. “The decision is mine. But I was hoping for a more reassuring reference.” There was an awkward silence. After what seemed like an eternity Garm let out a long sigh. “Very well. If you’re confident in your abilities, the assignment is yours. Come with me. Let’s get you up to speed. Don’t blame me if you get eaten. Garo, you could use one more night of rest before the new moon.” Garm walked out of the room. Amanda looked at Jason in his bed. Jason looked at her for a second, then lay back down and turned to his side with his back to her. Amanda sighed and closed the door, following Garm.
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:03 PM #47
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

Chapter 2

Drake’s cell wasn’t necessarily large, but it was enough space for him. It had a bed, a sink, and a toilet. There were Soul Metal bars separating him from freedom. His Azuras Daggers had been confiscated and were being held somewhere in the Senate building. Drake lay in his bed, which was attached to the gray stone wall next to his sink. All he could think about was Quavora. He wondered if they were really going to fix her, or just continue focusing all of their efforts on experimenting on the Horror that killed her. Suddenly he heard footsteps. He sat up to see the guards were changing shifts. He didn’t know the knight who had been guarding him for the past 12 hours, but he recognized the next guard to enter the room.

“Hello Carter,” Drake said. Carter entered the room with food on a tray. Drake noticed the food and walked over to the bars. Carter slid the tray through the opening near the floor. Drake picked up the tray and sat back on his bed to eat. The food consisted of a grayish kind of meat, a piece of bread, mixed veggies, and a small bottle of water. He wasn’t given any silverware--plastic or otherwise--so he had to eat with his hands.

“So, they got you on guard duty too, huh?” Drake began while he ate.

“For now,” Carter responded as he sat at the desk across from the cell. He placed his sword on the table and began cleaning it with a rag. “Despite what happened, I am sorry for your loss, Drake. I was never lucky enough to have a Madou Tool, so I won’t pretend to know what you’re going through, but I know loss.”

“Thanks,” Drake said as he took a bite out of the stale bread he was given. “How long before my executioner gets here?” he asked, still chewing the bread as he ate.

“If you haven’t fallen to darkness, you’re not going to be executed,” Carter assured him.

“Pfft, sure,” he snarled. “You and I both know that whether or not I’ve fallen to darkness is irrelevant. If I’m deemed a threat, they’ll kill me regardless. And all because I was trying to do my job”

“Whether she’s a Horror or not is still being determined,” Carter corrected. “But, you raised your blade against a fellow Makai Knight and Priest. You broke the law.”

“Well, maybe someone had to,” Drake began. He took another bite of his stale bread. “If I’m executed for this, maybe it’ll make some others realize our Order needs to change.”

“You’re not going to be a martyr,” Carter replied. “No matter what happens. Let’s leave it at that.” Drake stopped eating.

“You...there’s… there’s doubt in you, isn’t there?” Drake said. Carter stopped cleaning his sword and looked at him.

“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he answered.

“Oh but you do,” Drake began. “It’s why you’ve refused to even look at me till now. It’s why you’re trying to focus on other things, like cleaning your sword, rather than our conversation. Because deep down, a part of you knows that I’m right.” Drake pointed his half eaten bread at Carter as he said this. Carter sighed.

“Ok look, I agree that if she really is a Horror, that you should have killed her. I might have done the same thing. But the fact remains that you still tried to kill two people in the Order as well.”

“So I made a mistake. I wasn’t thinking clearly. But I didn’t kill them, did I?” Drake countered.

“You didn’t kill them because Garm stopped you.” Carter reminded him.

“They live, don’t they?” Drake said.

“What’s your point?”

“My point is you can still do the right thing, and I can too.”

“Which is?”

“Get me out of here, and help me finish off that Horror before it eats somebody! I was so close before. But I can do it right this time. Because I’ll have your help! You can serve as a distraction or something and I can get in there without having to kill another Knight.” Carter leaned forward and put his elbows--both fake and real--on his knees.

“If there was any doubt in the Senate’s mind about you falling to darkness, breaking you out would surely erase it, along with putting me in danger too. I have a family to look after.”

“Think about it then,” Drake suggested. “But please don’t take too long. I may not have much time left.”

Amanda followed Garm and her guards into one of the meeting chambers. The room was lined with a marble floor and stone walls. A gold chandelier hung from the ceiling with several lit candles in it. The room itself was big enough for a few people, but no more. There was a wooden desk at the end of the room, and a stone slab that hung on the wall behind it. Garm walked to the slab and touched it with her left hand. Suddenly, lines began forming on the slab, as if being cut with an invisible blade. At first, the lines seemed random. But as they continued to form, Amanda began to make sense of what they were creating.

“This is a map of the town,” Garm explained. Near one of the areas representing an intersection, a red circle of fire appeared. Garm pointed to it. “A Horror was believed to have entered through a Gate found here.” As many in the Makai Order knew, most Horrors entered the human world through an object called a Gate. A Gate could be anything, but typically, it was an object that had enough evil energy on it to summon a Horror, once a human with Inga touched it. It was a Makai Knight’s job to seal these Gates away by cutting away the dark energy during the daytime or if there was a lapse in Horror attacks, such as what Jason had been doing before Sidiovax had appeared a few days ago.

“The signature matches a Horror from our records known as Jikangor,” Garm explained. She opened the drawer attached to the desk and pulled out an old book. She placed it on the desk and turned to the page with the information on Jikangor. Amanda looked at the book. The pages showed a drawing of the Horror, along with information about the Horror’s abilities written in the Makai Language.

“Jikangor had a limited ability to manipulate time around it,” Garm began, pointing to the book as she read from it. “It says here, sometimes it would make sure it’s victims were well aware of the strange incidents happening to them as a means of torture. It might make the victim experience a horrible day over and over again before consuming them. It was said to have gone from village to village, terrorizing the people there for days. But for the people being tortured, it felt like thousands of years.”

“How was it beaten last time?” Amanda asked. Garm began looking through the book.

“Let’s see…” she said as she ran her finger through the text, skimming for the answer to Amanda’s important question. “Ah. Here. A Makai Priest protected herself with a potion made from a rare fruit; nicknamed the Chronoberry because it helped protect her from the time attacks and put an end to this Horror. Luckily, I believe there is a forest nearby that is known to grow these berries.” Garm walked back to the slab and pointed near the top left corner of the map, far from where the Gate was believed to be. More lines were formed to depict trees. As she pointed, a small blue-flamed circle appeared, highlighting the area. “The Chronoberry is about the size of a peach. It’s typically green, but some also appear purple as well. They tend to grow on large bushes that are frequently used by many kinds of insects as nests.”

“How did you find the Gate?” Amanda asked. “I mean, can you still detect when Horrors appear, or have you lost that ability like the other Watchdogs too? ”

“Sometimes,” Garm answered. “But this is not one of those times. My apprentice, Jessica, detected the Horror’s appearance. She will be joining you in your mission and has already been briefed. You will find her in her in the training chamber. You best meet her there and head out. Remember, you each will need at least one Chronoberry per person to be able to make enough potion.” Amanda bowed in respect and walked out of the room.
“Amanda,” Garm called. Amanda stopped at the exit outside of the room and turned her head. “Jessica is powerful and brave, but she is still young.”
“I’ll keep an eye on her,” Amanda assured her.

Two hours ago...

Miles away from the Senate building, a car accident had occurred at an intersection in a small neighborhood. Two cars had collided head on. The driver of one car had been drunk and drove right through a stop sign on the wrong side of the road at 60 miles per hour into a stopped car at the opposite end of the intersection, then into a tree. The drunk driver was killed on impact. The stopped car had a man in his 50’s driving with his 12 year-old son in the passenger side. The father had seen the car coming too late and was unable to move the car out of the way. While the father was relatively unharmed, his son was not so fortunate. The airbag deployed on the driver’s side and broke the father’s glasses. The passenger airbag deployed as well, but it didn’t make much of a difference. The impact from the car crushed the passenger side to the point where the son was pinned underneath part of the dashboard and the hood.

About 10 seconds after the impact, the father regained consciousness and shook his head in confusion. He looked out the windshield to see the other car had not only crushed his car, but had driven into a tree, with the driver hanging out of the windshield and blood on the bark where he had hit his skull. The father looked to his right to see his son badly injured. He undid his seatbelt and tried to pull the wreckage off of his son. He grabbed the wreckage and pulled as hard as he could.

“Jack!” the father said. “Hang on, son! You’re gonna be ok!” Jack was unconscious and so did not respond to his father’s pleas. The father kept trying to pull the wreckage, but it didn’t even budge. He realized he was going to need help or he was going to have to try to just pull him from out of the wreckage himself. He decided the best option was to see if there was anyone nearby that could help. He opened his door and stumbled out of the car. He looked around the neighborhood. He saw a house on the other side of the street to his left. The outside light was on and he could see one of the windows was open. Someone had to be home. They must have heard the crash. He moved as quickly as he could to the house and knocked on the door. The door opened and a man who looked to be in his late thirties answered the door. He seemed to be in good physical condition, which was fortunate for the father since he was not so fit himself.

“Please, I need your help!” the father said. “I’m sure you heard, I was just in an accident. My son is trapped in my car. We need to pull him out of--” but his plea was interrupted by the sound of an explosion. The two men ducked their heads when the deafening BOOM went off. The father looked back to see that the drunk driver’s car had exploded.

“I got it, let’s go!” the man said. The two men ran back to the father’s car. The father ran to the passenger side but froze in horror. A piece of the drunk driver’s car was lodged deep in his son’s forehead. The father stared at his dead child for a few seconds before collapsing to his knees on the road, weeping in his hands. This didn’t feel real. All of this felt like a bad dream. He realized he was crying on instinct. Part of him didn’t actually believe his son was gone. It just didn’t seem possible. How could this have happened? How could he have lost everything in the span of just a couple of minutes? He moved his head from his hands and looked at the road. He noticed several broken beer bottles near him. The man who killed his son had not only been drunk, but might have even been drinking while driving as well.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. The man he had begged to for help was saying something to him. Something comforting, he was sure, but he couldn’t understand. His despair turned to hatred. He wanted to kill the man who had taken his boy from him. He looked back at the car that had exploded. There wasn’t much of it left. The father realized if the impact hadn’t killed the driver, the explosion certainly would have. He would never have justice for his son. The frustration was more than he could bear. He needed to kill the driver. He gripped one of the broken beer bottles on the road and swung wildly at the man who tried to help him. The father screamed as he cut right under the man’s throat. The man held his throat in shock, trying to keep the blood from escaping him.

“Wha..what are you…?” he tried to say as he fell to his knees. The father swung again and the glass cut right across his left eye. The man gargled his own blood and collapsed to the ground next to him. The father put one hand on his victim’s forehead and held it down as he continued to stab him everywhere. The man died long before the father finished stabbing him. The father stopped and looked at the bottle, then at his victim.

“Oh God…” he moaned. “What...what have I done? OH GOD!”

“<Do you miss your son?>” a deep voice said to him in the Makai tongue. The father looked around. The fires from what was left of the car that killed his boy had frozen. The blood was no longer running from his victim’s body; it looked as though it had been frozen.

“Wha…?” the father asked as he looked around. He got off of his knees and stood up, the blood on his hands practically glowing.

“<Do you want to see him again?>” the voice asked.

“Of course! He was my son. My little buddy. I...I would give anything to have my boy again!” he pleaded. Then he realized this thing was speaking another language he wasn’t familiar with. “What are you? How can I understand you?”

“<Anything?>” the voice asked ignoring his question.

“Yes!” he assured the voice. “Are y-you an angel? A d-d-demon? What is it you want? My body? My life? My soul? Tell me! I’ll give it to you if it means I can have my boy back. I have nothing else!”

“<Ha ha ha ha!>” the voice laughed. “<Your misery is great. Your rage is uncontained. Very well, Robert Matthews. I will give you the power to see your son again. But in exchange, since you offered, you will give me your soul. Do we have a deal?>” Robert looked at his car and at his son’s body. It looked so small now. He had to see him live again. He had no choice.

“Yes. Just...just give me my son back,” Robert said. The bottle he held in his hand was suddenly covered in black. Robert lifted the bottle and looked at it. As he did so, the bottle returned to normal. He lowered the bottle and standing before him was a Horror. The beast’s black skin, gray eyes, wings, and tail were unlike anything Robert had ever seen before. The Horror roared at him and tackled him to the floor.

“WWAAAAUGH! AAAAARRRGH!” Robert screamed in agony and fear as the Horror restrained him to the road. It sat on his stomach and pinned his hands down. It bit Robert’s lips, muffling Robert’s screams and poured every ounce of it’s being into Robert’s body. The process was excruciating, but eventually Robert passed out from the fear and pain of having his soul possessed by a Horror.

When he awoke, he was inside an ambulance. He looked at his wrists which were handcuffed to the gurney. He remembered the accident and remembered killing that man. Why did he kill him? That, he couldn’t recall. Then he remembered being attacked by a creature, but he also had other memories that weren’t his. Memories of a world that existed beyond the human realm. A dark place. One filled with monsters everywhere, like the one that had attacked him. But now, there was a voice in his head. It wasn’t his, but he recognized it. It was the voice that promised him he could see his son again. The voice of the creature that had attacked him.

“Robert,” the voice said in his mind, now in English. “You have given me your soul. But I have left it intact for the time being. To see your son again, you will have to rejuvenate our power.”

“How?” Robert asked out loud. One of the two EMTs in the ambulance looked at him.

“He’s awake!” one of them said to the other. The other EMT was looking for medicine when he stopped to look at him. “Hey. It’s ok. We’re going to help you, alright?” Robert looked at him.

“You will?” Robert asked, weakly. “You’re going to let me see my son?”

“I’m sorry,” one of them said to him. “We found your son’s...body in your car. But we’re going to do everything we can for you.” Robert realized they were lying. Why else was he handcuffed? They must have suspected him of the murder he committed and didn’t want to tell him yet, fearing the shock might kill him. But what they didn’t know, was that Robert was no longer constrained by human injuries. The voice spoke to him yet again. He knew what he had to do.

“Then you’ll let me see my son,” Robert responded. Before he could answer, Robert tore his right wrist free from the handcuffs and grabbed the EMT closest to him by the throat. The man choked and grabbed his hand trying to free himself. The other EMT was frozen in fear. Robert pulled the man close to him, his bottom jaw suddenly growing to five times it’s normal size as he shoved the man’s head into his mouth. He closed his jaw clean through the man’s neck, and his headless body collapsed to its knees on the ambulance floor; blood pouring out of the neck like a fountain.

The ambulance driver panicked at the sight of the carnage and slammed the vehicle right into a street lamp. But the impact barely slowed Robert down as he devoured the rest of the man’s body. Then, he went after the driver, doing the same to him. The other EMT had hurt his leg in the crash, but managed to open the back door while Robert was distracted. He began limping away from the scene. He looked back at the crash as he limped down the sidewalk, but suddenly bumped into someone. He fell on his back and looked up to see Robert staring down at him. No longer did he look overweight and out of shape. Now, he had the physique of someone twenty years younger than he actually was. The EMT didn’t understand what was happening.

“Robert,” he pleaded. “Please. Don’t.” Robert leaned forward and sniffed the man. He grabbed him by his hair at the top of his head and lifted him with one hand into the air. Suddenly, he heard footsteps behind him. He turned to see a tall woman with red hair, a short black dress, and high heels walking towards him.

“Jikangor,” she began. “My master has been looking for you.” Robert realized that was his name now. His and the Horror’s name. He looked back at his victim, struggling to break free from his grip. “But don’t let me interrupt your meal,” she told him. “Finish him off. Then, let’s talk business, shall we?”
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:07 PM #48
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

Chapter 3

Amanda walked into the training chamber. It was a large, dark room, with only a few lights illuminating it. She saw Jessica training with several Makai Priests, both men and women. They moved together as they practiced their spell.

“Jessica!” Amanda called. Jessica turned to see Amanda. Her brush lit up as her spell was complete, then returned to normal. She ran to meet Amanda. She was about the same height as Amanda, with very pale skin. She had short blonde hair that came down to her shoulders. She wore a black shirt and skirt, with a long, silver, Madou Coat that ran to the bottom of her calves. She looked to be about 19 to Amanda, but she wasn’t sure. Amanda noticed Jessica’s Madou Brush had bristles on both ends, rather than just one.

“What’s up?” Jessica asked.

“Garm sent me to get you,” Amanda answered. “I’m Amanda. You and me are going Horror hunting,”

“Wait,” Jessica protested. “I thought I was going with Garo on this assignment. Where is he?”

“He won’t be able to make it.,” Amanda replied. “Tomorrow is the new moon. He’ll enter stasis for 24 hours at sunrise to give his life force to his Madou Ring.” Jessica threw her arms up in frustration.

“Just my luck!” She began as she started pacing the floor. “Here I am training like crazy because I thought it was going to be my chance to work with the Golden Knight and now I get shafted. Stupid Madou Rings. What makes them so special, huh?”

“Jessica--” Amanda began, but Jessica continued her rant to herself.

“Why do Makai Knights need such big pains in the butt anyway? I mean, I heard Garo can sense darkness anyway--”

“Hey--”

“--so what does he need a Madou Ring for, huh? This whole thing is stupid, I should have just stayed in bed. No point in coming all the way out here today to--”

“HEY!” Amanda yelled, her voice echoing off the stone walls. Jessica stopped ranting and looked at her, along with the other Makai Priests still training in the chamber. Amanda put her hands on Jessica’s shoulders. “You and me have this assignment. Garm tells me you’re strong, but if you want the chance to work with the Golden Knight one day, you’re gonna have to help me take down this Horror. So pull yourself together, ok?” She sighed.

“Ok, fine. Sorry,” Jessica said. She turned back to her training partners and waved. They waved back, wishing them luck on their hunt. The pair exited the training chambers and began their trip to the forest where the Chronoberry was said to be grown. It wasn’t far from the Senate building, just as Garm had said, so they jogged there.

The forest itself didn’t appear any different than normal forests. There were many large trees reaching high towards the night sky. The leaves on the ground crunched as they entered the forest. Amanda took out her Madou Brush and waved two of her fingers over the bristles. The brush began to glow orange enough for them to see everything within a 20-foot radius. Jessica did the same and her brush glowed a light blue. They began their search for these bushes that Garm spoke of that were said to contain the Chronoberries. There was a path through the forest with not as many dead leaves that they were able to take. They walked, side by side, looking in opposite directions from each other for any signs of these bushes.

“So, what’s it like working with the Golden Knight?” Jessica asked as they walked down the path. “I heard you two are friends.”

“Who told you that?” Amanda asked.

“Garm did.”

“Garm’s info is a bit out of date.”

“Jason’s not your friend?”

“He used to be, but…” Amanda’s voice drifted off. “Well, I’d rather not get into it right now.”

“Oh, ok,” Jessica responded. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Amanda said. There was a brief pause. “So... what about you? What’s it like learning from one of the oldest Watchdogs ever?”

“Garm’s great!” Jessica said, as the two of them approached a downed tree. Jessica and Amanda both climbed over the tree and continued down the path.

“Really?” Amanda asked. “I’ve heard some stories that might prove otherwise.”

“Oh don’t get me wrong, she’s definitely screwed up before,” Jessica replied. “Her detachment from everyone else only recently has started to improve. Especially since she took me in. My parents were eaten by Horrors not too long ago. Garm took it upon herself to complete my training and in many ways, she’s been like a mother to me.”

“I’m sorry to hear that happened to your parents,” Amanda said. “I’m lucky enough to still have both my parents and my brother.”

“Hey, my father was a Makai Knight, and my mother was a Makai Priest. It’s bound to happen,” Jessica said matter-of-factly. “I miss them, of course, but they knew the risks. And I know it could happen to me too. It’s just a part of life. Someday I’ll see them again but for now--hey look!” Jessica pointed. Amanda turned her head to see what she was referring to. Jessica began walking towards a large bush with hundreds of different insects flying around it. “This must be it. I knew it would be here!”

Amanda got closer to the bush and raised her brush. Sure enough, there were many large green and purple fruits growing from the bush matching the description of the Chronoberries. They each grabbed one and began their trip back to the Senate building.

Amanda and Jessica were away for about an hour. When they returned, they were greeted by Gemma at the door.

“Madam Gemma,” Amanda said in surprise. “Were you waiting for us?”

“Yes,” Gemma replied. “It’s Maya. We think we may have an answer to what is happening to her.”

“As much as I’d like to discuss this, we’ve got a Horror to hunt right now. We need to make these Chronoberries into potions to protect us,” Amanda told her as she showed her the green fruit she had picked.

“Chronoberries?” Gemma began. “Oh, you’re after that time-controlling Horror. Go. We’ll discuss this when you return. Amanda and Jessica nodded and headed to Jessica’s lab to begin making the potions.

Once in the lab, Jessica pulled out one of her old books and looked up the instructions on how to make the potion. She placed the book on the table and put her fruit down in front of her. They both sat in wooden chairs at the table ready to make the potion. Jessica began reading the instructions to Amanda.

“Ok, you’re going to slice one down the middle, starting at the top where the stem is.” Amanda reached into her Madou Coat and pulled out a knife with a red handle. There was a small amount of Soul Metal in the tip of the knife in case she fought a Horror that was resistant to her spells, but the rest was steel. As a woman, she was physically unable to wield more Soul Metal than the small amount in her knife; hence why women were unable to become Makai Knights. But the knife could pierce a Horror’s skin and so be used as a last resort should the need ever arise.

She sliced the fruit down the center. The pungent odor that was released smelled like old gym socks mixed with bleach and vomit. Amanda held part of her coat up to her nose to cover up some of the smell.

“Oh God,” she commented, coughing a bit. “Is it *COUGH* supposed to smell like that?”

“Actually yes,” Jessica said as she pinched her nose with her index finger and thumb. “That means it’s ripe.” Amanda started laughing as she coughed.
“What?” Jessica asked.

“I bet Jason can smell it from here!” she answered.

“Strong nose or not, I think the whole Senate can smell it!” Jessica replied, laughing.

“Ok, now you need to scoop out the flesh and crush them in that mortar.” Amanda let go of her coat and did her best to breathe through her mouth as she used her knife to scoop out everything she could from both halves. She made sure to follow the technique Jessica was following next to her. Once the flesh had been emptied into the mortar, she began to crush it as much as she could with the handle of her knife, the green juices squirting out as she did so. Jessica handed Amanda an oddly shaped glass vial.

“Watch closely,” Jessica said. She poured the puree into her vial and added a half of a cup of water and a teaspoon of salt. Amanda did the same. “Now the fun part,” Jessica said. “Use your brush to bring the potion to a boil. It has to boil for about two minutes. The smell is probably gonna get much worse.” They placed the vials on the table and use their brushes to heat the vials. The potion began to boil and the stench was even worse than before, but the Makai Priests maintained their composure and kept it boiling for two minutes. When the time was up, they stopped and the liquid began to rapidly cool which was a side effect of using a spell to boil it. Once it was cool, they each drank their potions. Surprisingly, it didn’t taste nearly as bad as it smelled.

“Well, that was pleasant,” Amanda remarked, sarcastically. “How long will it protect us from Jikangor?”

“About 48 hours,” Jessica answered. “More motivation to take this thing down as soon as possible. I’d rather not have to do that again.”

“Agreed. Now let’s track this thing down.”
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:11 PM #49
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

Chapter 4

Jason had been restless as he tried to sleep. Zaruba had been placed on top the drawers next to his bed. He looked up at the ceiling at the dim light that hung over his bed. He was itching to hunt that Horror. It would have made him stop imagining what the Makai Order was doing to Maya.

“Jason…” A voice whispered to him. It was a deep, dark voice. He sat up and looked around. The voice sounded as though it was coming in all directions. “You’re a disgrace.” Jason reached under his covers and grabbed his Garo Ken.

“Zaruba, did you hear that?” Jason asked. He turned to the drawers, but Zaruba was gone. “Zaruba? Zaruba?!” Jason called. He got out of his bed and pulled the IV out of his arm. He began walking to the door when he felt something sharp cut his right foot. “Argh!” Jason moaned as he jumped from the pain and held his foot. He looked at the floor to see what had cut him. They looked like pieces of steel. There weren’t many pieces, but then he saw a piece he recognized. He knelt to pick it up. “No…” Jason whispered. It was Zaruba. His Madou Ring had been shattered on the floor. He couldn’t figure out how this had happened.

“Another Madou Tool. Gone. Because of you.” the voice mocked. Jason dropped the piece and drew his sword, looking around the small room.
“Where are you?!” Jason yelled.

“You lost your armor.” The voice continued. “You’re a disgrace to the title of Verki. You’re not worthy to be the Golden Knight.”

“Shut up…” Jason whispered as he dropped to his knees and covered his ears; his sword and scabbard still in his hands. He closed his eyes in fear.

“You lost your Madou Tool. Kotraba trusted you. You were the first Emerald Knight to fail so spectacularly.”

“Shut. Up.” Jason demanded, louder now.

“And of course, you lost your best friend. Now, she will die. Eaten by a Horror she was never going to be a match for. All because of you.”

“SHUT UP!!”

“Jason!” A voice called to him. Jason opened his eyes. He was laying in bed still at the Senate building. He looked to his left at the drawer. “Jason! Glad to see you’re awake.” Zaruba told him. “You were moaning quite a bit in your sleep.” Jason sat up in his bed.

“Yeah,” Jason replied. “Had quite the nightmare.” Then he grabbed Zaruba and put him on his left middle finger. “I’m going to be doing enough sleeping tomorrow. How about some training?”

“You sure you’re up for it, boy?” Zaruba asked.

“Wow, you haven’t called me that in a while.”

“You haven’t had nightmares that make you moan like a child in a while.”

“Yeah, you’re right about that,” Jason conceded as he sighed. “I guess I’m worried about Amanda. Despite everything that’s happened, I don’t want to see her eaten by a Horror.”

“I know you don’t trust her, but you trust Garm, right?” Zaruba asked.

“Yeah. Well...mostly.” Jason answered.

“Then you need to trust that regardless of what was said, she wouldn’t send Amanda out there if she thought she couldn’t handle it.”

“It must be boring to have lived as long as you have and be right all the time.” Jason joked.

“Boring?” Zaruba asked. “You humans always provide amusement to me.”

“Right. So, how bout it, hmm?”

“Very well, let’s go train,” Zaruba said. “I’ll try to make it hard for you.”

“That’s not fair!” Jason jokingly whined as he stood up. “I’m injured!”

“Of course. I’ll be sure to let the next Horror you fight know to take it easy on you.”

The two of them chuckled as Jason grabbed his clothes. With some effort, he was able to get dressed. He grabbed his sword and the two of them headed to the training chambers.

ELSEWHERE…

Doctor Harrison sat in her office at her desk and stared at her clipboard. The room was small, with a desk at the back of the room, a tiny office light providing minimal light to the rest of the room. She looked over the results from today’s experiments. A few days ago, she had a made a presentation to the board, urging them to extend the deadline by 2 months. 3 months would have been ideal but her boss had told her 2 was the best he could do if he was going to support her in the meeting. She could work with 2, but this meant much longer nights ahead. However, the board was ultimately unconvinced. Now, she had a mere 5 months to gather 100 test subjects from around the country. She wasn’t sure she’d be able to pull it off. Suddenly, her cellphone rang. She pulled it out of her pocket and looked at the screen. She sighed in relief and answered it.

“Subject D-30.” She exclaimed. “I haven’t heard from you in a while. Please, Jacob. Tell me you have good news.”

“Apologies, boss,” Jacob replied. “It was difficult finding out which prison Gosniac was being held in. Rest assured, I did find the Horror. It’s restrained in the back of my car. We’re enroute to the lab now.”

“Ok. That IS good news,” Harrison sighed in relief. “1 down. 99 to go. Just do your best to avoid any Makai Knights on the way, will you?”

“Of course, ma’am,” Jacob assured her. “You know me. I detest fighting.”
“Could have fooled me. Any word on Subject D-47’s whereabouts?”

“Not so far. I’ll search for her after I drop Gosniac off if you’d like.”

“No,” Harrison replied. “We can’t. My meeting with the board did not go well.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, ma’am.”

“Me too. Anyway, this means that--as much as it goes against my better judgment--we don’t have time to look for her right now. As it is, we’re going to be hard-pressed to meet that deadline but that’s priority right now. Do you understand?”

“I understand.”

“Alright. I’ll see you soon. And I’ll have information on your next target.” Suddenly, she heard a knock on her door.

“Come in,” she said as she hung up her phone. The door opened and her boss entered the room. The scars on his left cheek seemed to almost shine from the moonlight

“Oh, Mr. Schwartz!” Harrison said as her boss entered the room. “I thought you went home for the night.” Schwartz shut the door behind him. He was still dressed in his suit and tie. He took off his suit jacket and hung it on the chair opposite Dr. Harrison’s desk.

“Well, I had some work to finish up and I was about to leave when I heard from Subject D-32. She has some...intriguing news.”
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:14 PM #50
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

Chapter 5

Amanda and Jessica were headed to the intersection where the Horror had manifested. Amanda drove her green Elantra while Jessica sat in the passenger seat holding a map and giving Amanda directions. The map was a large piece of parchment paper that had been created as a copy of the stone map Amanda had seen Garm create earlier. Just like the stone map, the intersection the Horror appeared had a red circle of fire floating above it.

“Ok, we should be there...soon…” Jessica’s voice trailed off as she looked out the windshield. The roads were empty with the exception of an ambulance that had smashed into a street lamp on the other side of the road. The light was still standing, but was off now. Amanda pulled over near the curb. The area they were in was a suburban neighborhood with small houses on each side of the road. Amanda thought it was very odd that no one had come outside to check the ambulance.

The two Makai Priests stepped out of the car and walked to the wreckage. The ambulance had its back doors open and the moon light was just bright enough for Amanda to notice blood on the inside of the ambulance, and a trail of blood that led to the middle of the road. But there were no bodies to be seen. Amanda knelt near the blood took out her Madou Brush and held it towards the blood within the ambulance. The brush glowed a bright red.

“Yep, there’s no doubt about it,” Amanda said as she held her brush up to Jessica behind her. “This was a Horror. Probably Jikangor, judging by how close it is to the Gate. Luckily, there was some saliva in the blood. I think I can use that to track it down.”

“Well, I think we have a bigger problem.” Jessica warned. “Do you hear that?” Amanda stood up and listened. She closed her eyes to listen more carefully It sounded like sobbing. Crying. Maybe even muffled screaming. But where? Where was it coming from.

“Oh no,” Amanda said as she opened her eyes.

“What?” Jessica asked but Amanda ignored her as she ran to the nearest house. She kicked the front door down and ran inside. She saw a man, a woman, and two children--one boy and one girl-- all sitting together one next to another on the floor. They were moaning and rocking back in forth, staring into nothingness. Behind them stood Jikangor, still using the form of its host, watching the family, smiling. Then it looked at Amanda and Jessica.

“Makai Priests!” it said in surprise. “You’ve come just in time for dinner! I think these fine people will be ripe very soon, just like the rest of the neighborhood.” Amanda lit her brush and fired a beam of energy at the Horror. It struck Jikangor right in the face. Jikangor screeched as its head was pushed upwards from the impact. When it got its balance it looked just in time to see Jessica spinning in the air and side-kicking it right in the chest. Jikangor was pushed back into the wall behind it, its back forming an impact crater in the cement. It struggled to pull itself free from the wall. Jessica landed on the floor and bent over, allowing Amanda to roll over her, back to back, and fire another beam of energy at the Horror once she landed.

Jikangor was blasted completely through the wall into the kitchen as the beam hit its chest. Jikangor rolled on its back before contorting its formerly human body to stand up; its bones cracking and reshaping as it did so. Jessica stood up, and took out her brush from her Madou Coat. She extended her arm holding the brush. The handle extended three times its normal size and the bristles on each end glowed silver. Then, two blades of green fire extended from each end of the brush. The handle was now long enough for her to hold it with two hands. Amanda used a similar spell and ignited her brush to form a green flame sword as well. Jessica ran into the kitchen and swung her double sided sword of fire at a downward angle from her right side towards the Horror. Jikangor slid its right foot to the side and turned just in time for Jessica to miss. Jessica’s blade cut the sink, but as it did so, she turned around and swung with the other end of the blade. The blade cut across Jikangor’s stomach, but the wound wasn’t serious enough to go very deep. Jikangor tried blocking the incoming strikes as Jessica kept swinging her blade back and forth, forcing the Horror towards the kitchen window. Amanda joined in the battle when she saw the opportunity, slashing and stabbing at the Horror. Some of the strikes hit the demon, but others were blocked and countered with vicious attacks of its own. Jessica swung yet again but this time, Jikangor stopped it from hitting him by grabbing her hands, preventing her from letting go of the sword or getting away.

“Listen,” it explained. “I have to do this. That family is experiencing a future more horrible than they could imagine. Or a horrible moment in their past, I’m not exactly sure, to be honest. Regardless, they’re living it over and over again.” Before Jikangor could continue, Amanda had swung her blade at Jikangor’s face. But Jikangor raised Jessica’s hands and blocked it with her blade. Jessica struggled to get away, but it was in vain. “They are experiencing years of torture. But that’s nothing compared to the pain I felt when my son was killed. Soon, it’ll be over. They will be brought back here. The pain will have ripened their bodies enough for me to devour them. After I consume this entire neighborhood, I’ll finally have enough power to see a future where my son lives! So why not just let me see my son again?”

Amanda used her other hand to reach into her coat pocket to pull out her Soul Metal tipped knife and stabbed Jikangor right in the left eye. Jikangor screamed as it let go of Jessica’s blade, swinging its hands wildly trying to grab Amanda and her blade. Amanda twisted the blade and pulled it out, along with most of the Horror’s eye. She pushed Jessica away and stepped back herself, making sure the Horror blood didn’t get on either of them.

Suddenly, a hand reached through the kitchen window--breaking the glass-- and grabbed Jikangor by the throat. Jikangor didn’t seem to notice the hand on its throat as the pain from the loss of its eye was too much for it to handle. The hand yanked Jikangor through the broken window--and part of the wall-- and pulled him into the backyard. Jessica noticed the moaning from the family in the living room had stopped. She looked behind her to see that the family were now unconscious. Jessica looked back to see Amanda jumping through the hole in the kitchen wall.

Before them, Jikangor was on the ground, holding its head where it was stabbed. The woman who had grabbed him now had her high-heeled shoe digging into the side of it’s head. The woman looked at the Horror.

“I try to make a business proposition to you and instead you decided to trap me in one of your silly nightmares.” she said. Then she looked at Jessica and Amanda, both in fighting stances, with their blades in hand.

“Another Horror?” Jessica asked. The woman laughed.

“Ha! Don’t insult me, girl.” she said. “Although, I suppose I owe you. Had you not injured Jikangor so badly, I might have been stuck in its nightmare world forever. I think--wait.” She began to sniff in the air.

“I smell...something on you. Something familiar....Subject...D-47?” She pointed at Amanda as she pressed her heel harder into Jikangor’s head. “You have been around Subject D-47. And I smell...Garo!” Amanda raised one eyebrow in confusion. She pushed her heel all the way down through Jikangor’s head, the Horror screaming as its entire body disintegrated. The woman suddenly grew large black wings from her back and jumped into the air. The Makai Priests ran to where the woman jumped and looked up. Whatever she was, she had managed to fly away faster than they could see.

“What the heck was that?” Jessica asked.

“Not sure,” Amanda responded. She looked back at the house. “Come on. We gotta erase their memories and check on the rest of the neighborhood.”

The Terror landed atop a large building a few miles away from Jessica and Amanda. Her wings disappeared as she stood at the edge of the building and took out her cell phone to call her boss. She heard her boss pick up the phone.

“Mr. Schwartz,” she began. “I have news for you, sir.”

“Ah, Subject D-32.” Schwartz began. “What is it, Brenda?”

“Well, Jikangor wasn’t willing to cooperate so I had to put it down, unfortunately.”

“That’s disappointing.”

“But, there is good news. I encountered two Makai Priests. One of them had Subject D-47’s scent on her. And the scent of Garo.”

“What?” Schwartz asked. “Are you sure?”

“Of course, sir.”

“I didn’t realize he was stationed in this district,” Schwartz began. “Unless...Brenda. I have a plan. Track that Makai Priest. Find out where she goes. Chances are, she could lead us to Garo! And perhaps, Subject D-47. Tomorrow is the new moon. It’s the only day of the month where Garo will be unable to fight. We must take advantage of this opportunity while we still can!”
Old October 9th, 2018, 09:15 PM #51
> MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay
MakaiRanger99
Ougon Kishi

eBay

END EPISODE 4.

The Senate is under attack!. Maya’s true purpose is revealed. A jailbreak will sow chaos throughout the Senate. A new enemy seeks to eliminate Jason while he is in stasis. And all the while, one of us will sacrifice everything to stop them! Next time: Invasion. What will you give to protect those you love?