Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: What do you do with the boxes toys come in?
Itís garbage/recycle material! 8 25.81%
Itís garbage/recycle material!
8 25.81%
Must. Keep. Packaging. 12 38.71%
Must. Keep. Packaging.
12 38.71%
WHO THE F%&@ OPENS THEIR TOYS?!?3 1 3.23%
WHO THE F%&@ OPENS THEIR TOYS?!?3
1 3.23%
Depends on What it actually is. 10 32.26%
Depends on What it actually is.
10 32.26%
Votes: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 1st, 2019, 08:28 PM #1
> wizard
VIP Flair

wizard
VIP Flair

Packaging: They're disposable vs They're part of the figure

So, I have had a discussion with collectors that I know. I believe I tend to be part of a very conservative group of collector. I will keep the boxing/packaging for anything. If it is a toy or an electronic. I feel like it is part of the experience, and the total package so to speak. Others seem to feel like once they purchase it, the box and plastic are OK to dispose of; they bought the figure, and the accessories in the package and that is all.

I feel like that later form of thinking is heresy, blasphemy, dishonorable, and is disrespectful to the toy!

What are you thoughts?
wizard is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 08:34 PM #2
> ⚡Taichi
Hen... SHIN?!

32 eBay
Taichi
Hen... SHIN?!

32 eBay

Depends wizard.

For instance, odd shaped boxes or blister carded items that you have to cut or tear into, I usually trash those. Collector items, like figures that come from SDCC or something like that, I always keep.

Japanese boxes, I keep everything.

I agree that theyíre part of the experience, but thereís sometimes where thereís just so many things I buy, I have to make space somehow.

Most toys are so disposable and available to so many, the packaging doesnít give you really any extra incentive when selling either. Blame the internet for that. Back when you only had a couple of chances to get an original Optimus Prime... things just arenít like that anymore.

But I donít blame anyone who wants to or doesnít want to keep packaging... just as I donít care if you want to keep it MISB or play with it to hell.
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 1st, 2019, 08:53 PM #3
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Poll needs more options. Like "depends" and "haha only nerds buy toys".

I kept the toblerone boxes for Bandai's 5" Legacy figures. They're cute, they easily open and close, and they fit together nicely.

Sometimes I'll hold onto packaging if it has a photo I intend to scan (10 years later.....). I'll buy artbooks and magazines for reference images, so I have a hard time tossing reference images on leaflets or card backs.

Taichi wrote: View Post

Japanese boxes, I keep everything.
I normally adhere to this, and I know a lot of that is the pre-ebay allure of imports. Japan is so mysterious! How could you even get that?

I recently bought some Figuarts for customizing, which left me asking "what do I do with the boxes?". A proper dilemma. I still haven't worked up the courage to break them down.

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; August 1st, 2019 at 09:06 PM.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 03:06 AM #4
> TZKBTJ
Go Go Power Rangers!

TZKBTJ
Go Go Power Rangers!

Like Taichi, if its a convention-exclusive or a collector item, I keep the packages. Everything else, I recycle the packaging because I honestly don't have the space to keep the packaging around. I have all of my Marvel Figuarts boxes that I am sadly keeping and are taking up space in my room because I have no way of storing the additional hands and accessories as of now. But once I get a storage box with individual compartments for each of my Figuarts, I will gladly get rid of those boxes in a heartbeat.
TZKBTJ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 03:20 AM #5
> kiko5061
Power Ranger

eBay
kiko5061
Power Ranger

eBay

I feel it really comes down to preference and thought. Blister packs or anything with a card I feel is disposable. If I can open it cleanly I store it e.g legacy 6' boxes, marvel legends, figuarts, most mecha. However I store all accessories in labeled minibags (figuarts I keep hands together, weapons together, similar items), and then put all those minibags in a bigger ziplock bag. It bothers me to leave them in the boxes especially if they jiggle around and fall out of spot. However my family is growing so soon I'll have to throw away all boxes if wanna keep the figures at all.
kiko5061 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:02 PM #6
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

It kind of depends. Some packaging is too good to throw away. Other packaging was never meant to be open...

For me, personally, I try to keep everything. Even as a kid, I used to only cut the bubbles carefully on the sides so that I may be able to put the figure back in the package later on. I eventually threw out a ton of plastic bubbles, but kept all the cards (and I always cut it carefully with an x-acto knife, never simply rip it open). Nowadays, I'm back to trying to keep the bubbles on the card, but it doesn't always work. Once it's off, I tend to throw it away.

Boxes, however, I do my best to always keep. Especially if it's a simple rectangular, non-gimmick box. It tends to make eventual storage easier, though it does take up more space.
Red Dino Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:18 PM #7
> AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

I go both ways.

The vast majority of the time, I do take figures out of the box to display and everything. I'm not really looking at future resale or anything, just my own enjoyment of those figures. Plus, you can't get the full effect of some figures by leaving them in the box, they have to be taken out and posed with an accessory or two or with alt parts swapped.

But there are a few figures I do keep boxed. This, again, is nothing to do with possible future resale, it is just I like how the whole package looks together or how it fits the overall display. I have two Green Lantern PVC figure sets still boxed because it lets me display the figures behind opened figures and the boxes have the GL "logo" (the words in stylized form like on comic covers rather than the actual GL logo on their uniforms) and I think it adds a nice touch to the overall display. Similarly, I have several Funko Pops that stay boxed and are displayed with figures in front of or on top of them.
AkaBunnyUnicorn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 04:09 PM #8
> TheDreamMaster
Power Ranger

TheDreamMaster
Power Ranger

Depends. Iíve kept all my Figuarts boxes, but my Legacy and Lightning I threw those away. Like them, but I just canít hang onto all that packaging.
TheDreamMaster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 07:42 PM #9
> grnrngr
VIP Ranger

eBay
grnrngr
VIP Ranger

eBay

Finding space for the toys themselves is hard enough!

Different phases of my collecting life have had different levels of package keeping. I used to keep everything. Then I kept only card backs and Japanese boxes, getting rid of US boxes. Then I stopped keeping new card backs and got rid of Japanese boxes. Now I think I only have high-end Japanese boxes (Figuarts, Super Sentai Artisan, etc.), Lightning Collection, and Legacy Collection stuff - and the boxes for the figures of the latter will likely be recycled soon as (a) the thought of the resale price of the figures drops as Lightning Collection phases them out and (b) I would never store the figures in those packages again as they would just get warpped to hell.
grnrngr is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 08:08 PM #10
> AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

grnrngr wrote: View Post

Now I think I only have high-end Japanese boxes
I'm even picky about that. Mostly space issues, but as I mentioned I never plan on resale, it makes keeping even cool boxes a bit pointless if they are just going to sit in a closet somewhere gathering dust.
AkaBunnyUnicorn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 08:17 PM #11
> AkaCornSnackEtc
14 Days :(

AkaCornSnackEtc
14 Days :(

https://media.tenor.co/videos/54dde5...2d4e411745/mp4

I keep Figuarts boxes, as I need those. Most others are in the garbage.

Mind you, my closet is full of older boxes I need to clean out...
AkaCornSnackEtc is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 08:52 PM #12
> DesignIncase
Power Ranger

DesignIncase
Power Ranger

Well I break down the boxes and recycle the plastic(assuming it's got a code) . They aren't ever going back in the box. No point in keeping that around.
Now keep in mind some packaging is mean to be recycled. Personally I'd like to see packaging that's mainly to be recycled but includes some art to keep.
DesignIncase is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:20 PM #13
> raden238
Power Ranger

raden238
Power Ranger

It depends on the box art. If the box was transparent like the Power Rangers toys for example,, I would throw them out. But the Bandai Japan boxes have some nice artwork, so I usually keep them. Space at home is also a factor too because after a while, as your collection is growing, you might not have room anymore to keep the boxes.
raden238 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:30 PM #14
> BlueRangerRules
Power Ranger

eBay
BlueRangerRules
Power Ranger

eBay

Me, personally, I keep all of my boxes from all of my Legacy figures that I've opened ever since I got them. The only Legacy figures that I still have that I haven't opened yet are the Legacy Auto-Morphin figures that I've collected. I've been pondering to myself whether or not I should open the Legacy Auto-Morphin figures that I have, of course I'd still keep the packaging, but the thing is that the packaging on those Legacy Auto-Morphin figures just looks too good, that kind of keeps me from opening them in the first place.
BlueRangerRules is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:41 PM #15
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Some figures are great but have bad packaging that otherwise doesn't affect your experience for the figure, while some figures have such good packaging that it only makes the experience of getting it better. I think it's hard for packaging to outright detract from a figure's experience, unless the packaging is designed poorly from a structural perspective, instead of merely by graphic design.

When the packaging to something is really good? I cut that shit up, laminate it, and put it on my wall as a poster. I've done that with a couple Gunpla boxes and Rider toy boxes. There's a point where the design is so good they just make good wall decorations. To me that's the equivalent of eating something so good you're licking your fingers after emptying the plate.

One of the best things to come out of HasPR is the design for the toy packaging. I've already chopped up some of the boxes for the toys and laminated them to hang up.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 08:49 AM #16
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

When I buy PR figures, I usually just buy two. One to open and one to display in the box and sell later if need be.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 09:30 AM #17
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right

I say it depends. Things like the Lupinranger Yu-do Figure box are so pretty you even feel about about opening those (To this day I haven't opened mine though that also has to do with I being way too lazy to buy the stuff to custom my toys.
Spider-Phoenix is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote