Home Menu

Menu

Old February 24th, 2019, 11:24 AM #81
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Xenotome wrote: View Post

I thought about that one for a couple of weeks and after a while I don't think it's such a great idea. I would really like to see the movie turned into a Broadway musical though.

Last edited by ranger_scout; June 17th, 2019 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Changing grammar
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:12 PM #82
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

According to Disinsider there's a chance we might get Hercules. That feels more likely than nightmare to me, but I'm sure Disney is probably asking, why not both?
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:15 PM #83
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

A live action Hercules could work, but only if James Woods comes back as Hades. Yeah, the guy's a massive douche canoe now, but I can't imagine anyone else as that character.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:16 PM #84
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

Doesn't the sound alike in KH do a pretty good job? Like, I cant even tell a difference, only in the writing.

Edit: I'm a doofus, apparently that is him.

Anyway, I don't think they would pull a mufassa/james earl jones on that one. They just don't bring back people for these things ouside of a super rare exception. I doubt they would even go the same route with him tonally.

Last edited by Kyle16; February 24th, 2019 at 05:27 PM.
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:32 PM #85
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

There's always Weird Al. Seriously, I would love to see him voice a Disney character, ANY Disney character.
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:39 PM #86
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Kyle16 wrote: View Post

According to Disinsider there's a chance we might get Hercules.
But could it break the Hercules movie curse? That's the question.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:40 PM #87
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

If they keep it fun and light-hearted and not dark and brooding like every other Hercules movie we've gotten in the last twenty years.
Old February 24th, 2019, 06:14 PM #88
> Ranger_Man_9009
BBT Maniac

Ranger_Man_9009
BBT Maniac

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

There's always Weird Al. Seriously, I would love to see him voice a Disney character, ANY Disney character.
He voices Milo Murphy in the show Milo Murphy's Law which airs on Disney Channel
Ranger_Man_9009 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:13 AM #89
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Ranger_Man_9009 wrote: View Post

He voices Milo Murphy in the show Milo Murphy's Law which airs on Disney Channel
he also did guest roles Lilo and Stitch: The Series, Gravity Falls and Wander Over Yonder. (The latter two airing on Disney Channel.)
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2019, 07:59 PM #90
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

I didn't know that Jodi Benson, the voice of Ariel, has been friends with Rob Marshall, the director of the upcoming live-action The Little Mermaid film, for so many years. I definitely think she's going to have some kind of involvement with it now. It's too bad that Paige O'Hara and Robby Benson didn't make a cameo in the live-action Beauty and the Beast film.

CS: Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda is known to be such a superfan of the Little Mermaid and is now part of the Disney family with his involvement in productions like Moana and Mary Poppins. What are your thoughts on his attachment to the live-action Little Mermaid and the possibility of his stepping into Howard Ashman’s shoes?

Benson: We’re so beyond thrilled that Lin-Manuel is going to be part of the Disney Family. Obviously, he’s a genius–very much like Howard, creative, ahead of his time. He named his son Sebastian if I’m not mistaken. I know Alan (Menken) is thrilled and excited to get to work with him. We’ve talked about that. He’s super excited because he knows that the creativity and the genius of Lin-Manuel is very similar to Howard’s so I think they’ll make a great team. I’m excited about the live-action, I think my old friend of 40 years Rob Marshall is going to be directing it. He did Mary Poppins Returns, I was talking to him three or four weeks ago and he said, ‘it looks like we’re doing live-action Mermaid!’ And I’m thinking, ‘Gosh, just stick me in there in any way shape or form.’ Just watching all the brilliance happening around me would be amazing! I’m really excited and I think the team of people that they have and what their concept is going to be pretty spectacular.
Jodi Benson Reflects on Her Disney Princess Legacy for The Little Mermaid’s Anniversary
Old February 27th, 2019, 07:58 AM #91
> Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

It's too bad that Paige O'Hara and Robby Benson didn't make a cameo in the live-action Beauty and the Beast film.
Especially since Dan Stevens and Emma Watson were mediocre singers at best.
Takaishi Takeru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 03:11 PM #92
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

So I finally saw the 2015 remake of Cinderella.

...eh.

So cards on the table: the original 1950 Cinderella, while not my favorite of the DAC, much less of the Disney Princess movies, it's still a pretty enjoyable and entertaining movie watched now. And stands on its own merits, regardless of its historical significance.

The 2015 movie...does not do enough to surpass it.

It's not quite a super-close recreation like, say, BatB 2017, but the changes made are either superficial at best or...not really changes at all but more expansions of stuff that COULD have realistically been in the original movie, but it just wasn't shown on screen. Stuff that comes to mind include: starting the movie with Cinderella's birth parents still alive, why Cinderella doesn't just up and leave her step-family, Lady Tremaine hating Cinderella because she's everything she isn't stuff like that. Additional changes like Cinderella meeting Prince Kit earlier on, the Prince overall having more screentime and a presence (although I think his character isn't massively improved) it's minor at best.

The biggest noteable change to me was how the ending/climax goes out. While the basic principle of Lady Tremaine locking up Cinderella so she isn't able to head downstairs to meet the Prince's entourage is still present the biggest change is which glass slipper gets destroyed. Unlike the original movie it's Cinderella's slipper that gets destroyed...and I have no idea why they did. I initially assumed that it was because they were going to go the direction of having BOTH the slippers destroyed: having this and the 1950's movie bit on the Prince's slipper also get destroyed. A one last-desperate attempt from Lady Tremaine to pull a "if I can't have the royal estate, NO ONE CAN!"...but they don't. The Prince's slipper remains intact, meaning the only source of tension is of Cinderella getting locked up instead of the two sources of tension. Meaning the climax doesn't quite have the same "oomph" as the original.

I also heard a lot about how they made more Cinderella more "progressive" and "feminist" but in the actual movie...not really? Again, any traits that could be seen as that are superficial at best. They give her a Belle-ism by having Cinderella be interested in books...but, like in BatB 2017 and Belle being a curious inventor, it only comes up in the one scene and never comes up again for the rest of the movie. Her tearful horseback ride away…wasn't really her trying to run away from the house, it was just her trying to clear her head from the mocking she just got. And the usual ideas associated with feminist ideals (rejection of traditional gender roles and ideas, a more aggressive and assertive personality, etc) aren't really present either.

The most significant thing that it could have done was tweaked the ending in which Cinderella is responsible for freeing herself...but she isn't. It still ends up with the mice being responsible to busting her out and getting her to the Prince and his men.

The worst part though is not what was added and changed...but what was removed. The parts of the original movie that DID make it stand out and were legitimately good even to this day.

-Cinderella's sassy side.

So, in the original movie, while Cinderella still had her optimism in an effort to keep things she also had a sassy edge to her. Snarky comments about her current living situation, and passive-aggressive remarks about her stepsisters. Now yes it was never as prominent part of her character as it was with, say, Jasmine, Tiana or non-Princess female characters like Megara, but it's there. This Cinderella doesn't have this. She ONLY sticks to be optimistic and nice to everyone, including her horrible step-family. In her big confrontation with Lady Tremaine, she even declares how she "tried to be kind" but that it didn't work. Without having the edge to her from the original movie, her character feels just a bit more one-dimensional by comparison.

-The mice.

In this movie the mice...aren't really characters at all. Just creatures that move the plot along and nothing else. While I get that in live-action they wanted to remove talking mice because it would clash with the (relatively) more grounded tone of this movie, the original mice were still a highlight of the movie- from their banter to their chases with Lucifer the cat. Not having these moments in the movie, while understandable, is disappointing nonetheless.

-Lady Tremaine herself.

In the original movie, she was an intimidating as hell villain. While having no magical powers or the like compared to other legendary Disney Villains, her personality and forceful demeanor made her a scary person. And frankly? It kind of made it understandable WHY Cinderella didn't just try to run away from home: she's too scared of her and doesn't want to make her mad. In this movie she's...not like that at all. Cate Blanchett has a more over-the-top performance that plays up the snooty socialite side of her. Which under a certain light is more...sillier then it is intimidating. To me there was really no need to remove this aspect of the original movie, and it absolutely makes this movie lesser then what it could have been.

Oh but I did dig the quirkier take on the Fairy Godmother...although the gag with the expanding greenhouse garden was a bit much.

Overall, while it's not as pronounced as the criticisms against BatB 2017, the sentiment is the same: Cinderella 2015 is simply not good enough to be a worthy replacement of the 1950 animated original.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 06:23 PM #93
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

At Cinema Con this past weekend, Disney film chief Sean Bailey explained why these films have been successful.

Sean Bailey wrote:
Over the past several years we’ve had great success in revisiting some of these stories and characters and reimagining them for moviegoers. The reason we’ve been successful is because we are never simply retelling. We always want to stay true to their spirit and protect what people love and remember about them. We ask ourselves: How do we take these timeless stories and expand and update them to reflect our current world? Our goal is to create the quintessential, modern, live action versions of these stories.
Why Disney’s Live-Action Reimagining’s Have Been So Successful
Old April 6th, 2019, 11:00 PM #94
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Our goal is to create the quintessential, modern, live action versions of these stories.
Which they do by changing one cosmetic thing from the original?
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 11:11 PM #95
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

At Cinema Con this past weekend, Disney film chief Sean Bailey explained why these films have been successful.
What an overly complicated way of saying that they're just doing what they've always done and resting on their laurels, oh and also money!
GrumpyBookworm is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2019, 07:29 PM #96
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Know this thread is more about the recent remakes, but thought I'd ask did anyone here watch the first remake of "The Jungle Book" that came out in 1994? Only saw bits and pieces, but know it's more human based and the animals don't talk. Did learn recently Mowgli's love interest in that movie is Cersei Lannister of "Game of Thrones".
Dragonwolf Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2019, 07:47 PM #97
> Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Dragonwolf Ranger wrote: View Post

Know this thread is more about the recent remakes, but thought I'd ask did anyone here watch the first remake of "The Jungle Book" that came out in 1994? Only saw bits and pieces, but know it's more human based and the animals don't talk. Did learn recently Mowgli's love interest in that movie is Cersei Lannister of "Game of Thrones".
No, but Mowgli in the trailers on my VHS growing up was one of my first crushes...
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2019, 07:54 PM #98
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Entertainment Weekly recapped everything that has been given the live-action treatment so far and what is in the works. I have to say that I'm really not sure why they included Mary Poppins Returns though.

19 Disney classics making live-action magic on screen
Old April 26th, 2019, 12:57 AM #99
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Entertainment Weekly recapped everything that has been given the live-action treatment so far and what is in the works. I have to say that I'm really not sure why they included Mary Poppins Returns though.

19 Disney classics making live-action magic on screen
EW really forget to realise that sequel to a classic =/= remake of a classic.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 12:01 AM #100
> MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

Briefly going back to the subject of a live action The Nightmare Before Christmas remake from a couple pages ago... I've actually thought about this before. It would still have to be done just right, but there are five words that would make me okay with the concept and at least give me enough hope to not nay-say it immediately:

"Directed by Guillermo del Toro."
MegaZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote