Menu

Old October 9th, 2018, 03:58 PM #21
> MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Dancing with a guy isn't gay.
I barely caught that when I first watched it. It was like 3 seconds of screen time.
MMPR-TheGreenRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 04:03 PM #22
> Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Fuck Bill Condon and the horse he rode in on.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2018, 06:58 PM #23
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Cinderella, Pete's Dragon, The Jungle Book and Christopher Robin have so far been my favorites. The creative teams behind them tried hard and their efforts paid off IMO. Maleficent was all right. I've seen much worse movies than that one, but the story isn't all that interesting. Beauty and the Beast is good, but not outstanding. It's mostly faithful to the original, which is timeless and a masterpiece, but it does have some obvious flaws.
ranger_scout is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 07:31 PM #24
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

This guy really hasn't seen any of the live-action films, but he seriously has a problem with them happening. Like most people, he doesn't seem them as a way to introduce these stories to a new generation of kids and that the animated ones have really stood the test time. If they going to make them, they need to do something new with them. He didn't think that Maleficent was great, but they did an entirely different take on the story. Christopher Robin wasn't necessarily a remake, but it had a different story from the cartoons.

Last edited by ranger_scout; December 7th, 2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Typo
Old October 31st, 2018, 07:48 PM #25
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

I think that is a good point: If you're going to translate the animated movies to live-action, at least make them different enough to where they offer something new. I didn't like a LOT about Maleficent, but it was a different take; Jungle Book at least had a different outcome with Mowgli staying the jungle instead of leaving for the village; Pete's Dragon was pretty much a totally different movie altogether while basically keeping the essence of Pete and Elliot's characters intact; and I never saw Cinderella so I can't offer any judgements on that one.

I think Beauty and the Beast is the only one that didn't bring anything new to the table. There was nothing really added to the story beyond confirming one character's sexuality. They could have at least had Chip be paralyzed when his little plate broke before he turned human again. Downer ending, yes, but it would have been something new.
BobbyDrake2000 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2018, 09:08 PM #26
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

I think that is a good point: If you're going to translate the animated movies to live-action, at least make them different enough to where they offer something new. I didn't like a LOT about Maleficent, but it was a different take; Jungle Book at least had a different outcome with Mowgli staying the jungle instead of leaving for the village; Pete's Dragon was pretty much a totally different movie altogether while basically keeping the essence of Pete and Elliot's characters intact; and I never saw Cinderella so I can't offer any judgements on that one.
Although I am not anxiously counting down the days to Tim Burton's Dumbo, it does seem that Burton is approaching the story in a unique way. There's going to be plenty of new human characters and no talking animals. I'll still go see Aladdin, The Lion King and Mulan. The last of those three seems to be taking certain aspects of the animated film but also adding tons of new characters as well.
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:58 AM #27
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

Cinderella, Pete's Dragon, The Jungle Book and Christopher Robin have so far been my favorites. The creative teams behind them tried hard and their efforts paid off IMO. Maleficent was all right. I've seen much worse movies than that one, but the story isn't all that interesting. Beauty and the Beast is good, but not outstanding. It's mostly faithful to the original, which is timeless and a masterpiece, but it does have some obvious flaws.
What's your opinion on Alice in Wonderland? I know you said that you're weren't happy with the sequel.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2018, 11:00 AM #28
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

What's your opinion on Alice in Wonderland? I know you said that you're weren't happy with the sequel.
I thought it was entertaining and had plenty of neat twists on the story on which it is based upon. The interesting thing is that Tim Burton never officially called it a remake of the 1951 animated movie. However, Sean Bailey of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, does consider it to be one and it did in fact start this trend of films being made.

Sean Bailey wrote:
“We’ve always been the name on the door, but we weren’t an acquisition.” “After Alice worked the way it did in 2010, we asked ourselves, what does it mean? We were seeing Marvel and its superheroes with a very male focus and the same with Star Wars” “There was an opportunity with the female audience, and we had a lot of big characters here that we consider to be ours. Marvel has Iron Man, Captain America and Thor; we have Cinderella, Snow White and Belle. Pairing those characters with great live-action talent and technology, something that Walt always aspired to, with technology that has moved so far forward, just seemed a smart way to go.”
https://deadline.com/2017/03/beauty-...on-1202047710/
Old November 10th, 2018, 09:52 AM #29
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

This writer for Cinema Blend actually thinks that both Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet deserve remakes.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...n-remakes-asap

Last edited by ranger_scout; November 10th, 2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Grammar error
Old November 10th, 2018, 10:13 AM #30
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

^Both those movies weren’t very good so there wouldn’t be much to ruin and they both, I think, would work better in live action

So far Disney’s track record with their most recent ones

Maleficent- Was fucking terrible. The only good scene was the recreation of Maleficent cursing Aurora at her Christening. Why make your most iconic Disney villain a misunderstood anti-heroine? Uggh screw you Disney. Not to mention fucking up the iconic Dragon transformation one of the greatest sequences in Disney animation hostory and having her change her minion/love interest into a dragon for like 5 seconds. The movie was fucked at its premise (what if the greatest Disney villain of all time was just misunderstood?) and the movie kept screwing up at every corner

Cinderella- A big meh. It tried waaay to hard to make Cinderella all feminist and progressive but we already got the better version of that from them in Cinderella 3. Also objectively fact that the best Cinderella movie is the one with Brandy

Jungle Book- I really liked this one. Even better than the original Disney film. But I’m lukewarm toward 60s and 70s animated Disney in general so I wasn’t attached to the original. For me after Sleeping Beauty Disney didn’t get its groove back until The Fox and the Hound

Beauty and the Beast- It’s literally the 1991 film with extra padding for a longer runtime and an attempt to “fix” the plotholes. Lindsay Ellis does a great job ripping this movie into shreds. As for the “gay scene” I’m not sure who annoyed me more social conservatives clutching their pearls at the more thought of two people of the same sex expressing attraction in a family picture or Disney for virtue signaling a scene that was literally blink and you missed it.

As for the upcoming ones Aladdin looks like it could be good, Mulan I’m not too keen based on Shang’s replacement (can’t have a characters who sexuality could be read as ambiguously bi or pan can we?) and they’re removing the songs. There’s no way Dumbo will be good. Tim Burton is incapable of doing anything right when it comes to reimaging things and hasn’t made a good film since Big Fish and I’m optimistic for The Lion King
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 10:52 AM #31
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

This writer for Cinema Blend actually thinks that both Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet deserve remakes.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...n-remakes-asap
I agree with this.

PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

As for the upcoming ones Aladdin looks like it could be good, Mulan I’m not too keen based on Shang’s replacement (can’t have a characters who sexuality could be read as ambiguously bi or pan can we?) and they’re removing the songs. There’s no way Dumbo will be good. Tim Burton is incapable of doing anything right when it comes to reimaging things and hasn’t made a good film since Big Fish and I’m optimistic for The Lion King
What's your opinion on Alice in Wonderland, Pete's Dragon and Christopher Robin?
Old November 10th, 2018, 10:53 AM #32
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Mulan I’m not too keen based on Shang’s replacement (can’t have a characters who sexuality could be read as ambiguously bi or pan can we?) and they’re removing the songs.
A source says that some of the songs will apparently be featured in it after all.

In addition to Mushu apparently appearing, it's also being reported that music from the original animated film will appear in the remake as well. It stops short of calling the new film a musical, in the vein of Beauty and the Beast, so the more likely scenario is that a couple of key songs might appear, similarly to what was done with the remake of The Jungle Book.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/245...e-action-mulan
Old November 10th, 2018, 11:00 AM #33
> PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza
Power Ranger

I agree with this.

What's your opinion on Alice in Wonderland, Pete's Dragon and Christopher Robin?
I almost put in Alice in Wonderland but since it positions itself as a pseudo sequel I left it out. My thoughts are its fucking terrible. I hate how Tim Burton felt the need to Tim Burtonize it, I hate what they did to Mad Hatter making him a quasi love interest, I hated the stupid fucking “Under Land”, I hated the lead actress felt like she was sleeping walking through the role. This was the movie where I realized Burton had become a parody of himself

I have not seen Pete’s Dragon or Christopher Robin ( both look good though) though the latter is hardly a remake
PineapplePizza is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 11:20 AM #34
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

I almost put in Alice in Wonderland but since it positions itself as a pseudo sequel I left it out. My thoughts are its fucking terrible. I hate how Tim Burton felt the need to Tim Burtonize it, I hate what they did to Mad Hatter making him a quasi love interest, I hated the stupid fucking “Under Land”, I hated the lead actress felt like she was sleeping walking through the role. This was the movie where I realized Burton had become a parody of himself.
Honestly, I think Burton needs to do something that could revive his career.
Old November 10th, 2018, 01:35 PM #35
> GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

GrumpyBookworm
Power Ranger

Beauty and the Beast- It’s literally the 1991 film with extra padding for a longer runtime and an attempt to “fix” the plotholes. Lindsay Ellis does a great job ripping this movie into shreds. As for the “gay scene” I’m not sure who annoyed me more social conservatives clutching their pearls at the more thought of two people of the same sex expressing attraction in a family picture or Disney for virtue signaling a scene that was literally blink and you missed it.
#BeastForShe. Loved Lindsay's video on that movie.

What irritates me about the Lefou scenario is that they had a gay relationship right there with Lumiere and Cogsworth. They didn't need that split second of gay representation that you would have missed if you blinked at the wrong moment.

Mulan I’m not too keen based on Shang’s replacement (can’t have a characters who sexuality could be read as ambiguously bi or pan can we?) and they’re removing the songs.
We can't have such a strong manly character be into other men! What kind of message would that send to the children!

Blech. Give me bi Shang and Reflection.
GrumpyBookworm is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 01:37 PM #36
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Revive it from what?

Dude's a legend in the industry, he has nothing to prove.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 02:44 PM #37
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

Revive it from what?

Dude's a legend in the industry, he has nothing to prove.
Well, it's just that I did this comment after Pineapple Pizza said that Burton hasn't done a great film since Big Fish and said that Alice in Wonderland is what turned him into a parody of himself.
Old November 10th, 2018, 03:02 PM #38
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

It's true, Burton's not what he once was. I mean, when I heard he was doing the new Willy Wonka movie, I was beyond hyped., I was expecting something weird and just a little creepy. A Chocolate Factory with all the bizarreness of the Netherworld or Halloweentown or Gotham, with a TON of stop-motion animation. Fun and just a little frightening (the fun kind, not something mean spirited). The movie we got just felt... disappointing from Burton and Depp.
BobbyDrake2000 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2018, 03:13 PM #39
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Well what's your definition of reviving his career?

Because recent movies he's been doing...relatively better? I consider his rock bottom point to be Dark Shadows. So going from there...

-Frankenweenie did pretty well with critics (87% on RT). Although financially, it only managed to barely break even ($39 million budget but with over $81 million box office take).

-Big Eyes, not quite as positively received (72% on RT), but definitely managed to make a profit...although this was a pretty low budget movie (estimated $10 million against an almost $30 million revenue)

-Alice Through the Looking Glass...I'm not entirely counting because Burton was a just a producer on that movie. Although that was not liked by critics (30% on RT) AND definitely lost money ($170 million budget and almost $300 million revenue) .

-Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children had middling reviews (64% on RT) but still managed to make a profit ($110 million budget against a take of almost $300 million).
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:54 AM #40
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

TeraMan wrote: View Post

Well what's your definition of reviving his career?

Because recent movies he's been doing...relatively better? I consider his rock bottom point to be Dark Shadows. So going from there...

-Frankenweenie did pretty well with critics (87% on RT). Although financially, it only managed to barely break even ($39 million budget but with over $81 million box office take).

-Big Eyes, not quite as positively received (72% on RT), but definitely managed to make a profit...although this was a pretty low budget movie (estimated $10 million against an almost $30 million revenue)

-Alice Through the Looking Glass...I'm not entirely counting because Burton was a just a producer on that movie. Although that was not liked by critics (30% on RT) AND definitely lost money ($170 million budget and almost $300 million revenue).

-Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children had middling reviews (64% on RT) but still managed to make a profit ($110 million budget against a take of almost $300 million).
To quote my comment from yesterday:

Well, it's just that I did this comment after Pineapple Pizza said that Burton hasn't done a great film since Big Fish and said that Alice in Wonderland is what turned him into a parody of himself.
That being said, while I don't expect it to satisfy a lot of fans, I do hope Dumbo does well at the box office.