Home Menu

Menu

Old July 2nd, 2019, 07:32 PM #501
> leolim
Power Ranger

leolim
Power Ranger

Oh and another thing why the Memoriam video says Steve is dead he still alive as a old man?
leolim is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:33 PM #502
> bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

bearytrek
Unicron Backer #1

leolim wrote: View Post

Oh and another thing why the Memoriam video says Steve is dead he still alive as a old man?
because the general public was not informed as to
Captain America's true fate...possibly to prevent all sorts of 'well why can't you go back and get my dead wife who died on one of those planes that crashed when the blip happened (or conversely people who reappeared in thin air without a plane around them as it appeared people returned to the place where they disappeared)

overall I found it to be an average Spider-man movie...maybe because it dealt more with the repercussions of the end of the MCU phase, but I am glad they didn't shy away from all the questions people had about the 5-year aftermath...and those end credits scenes were killer
there's something just so right about having the Daily Bugle and JJJ back in Spidey's orbit (was JK Simmons born to play JJJ? I can't imagine anyone else doing it now).

I'm just sort of sad we never really got to see the repercussions of May finding out Peter was Spidey in Homecoming...we just sort of jumped right into Infinity War and Endgame and bypassed what could have been some really good scenes...did Peter sign the Sokovia Accords? Wouldn't he have to have consent or some other legal hoops since he's a minor? Surely May didn't just roll with it and say, yeah its okay for my nephew to risk his life and I'm not going to worry too much about that, etc
bearytrek is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:38 PM #503
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

I haven't seen the movie yet but due to a spoiler I ran into, what I'm being led to believe is...

That's not the real Nick Fury and Maria Hill in the movie? I guess they were Skrulls impersonating them the whole time. That's kinda disappointing to hear if true.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:45 PM #504
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

bearytrek wrote: View Post

because the general public was not informed as to
Captain America's true fate...possibly to prevent all sorts of 'well why can't you go back and get my dead wife who died on one of those planes that crashed when the blip happened (or conversely people who reappeared in thin air without a plane around them as it appeared people returned to the place where they disappeared)
Russo Brothers confirmed everyone "reappeared in a safe place", and I assume that the first snap also worked the smart way and would just evaporate all people on a plane that would crash, since the end result was supposed to cut the population in half and otherwise would not be balanced.
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 11:42 PM #505
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

I haven't seen the movie yet but due to a spoiler I ran into, what I'm being led to believe is...

That's not the real Nick Fury and Maria Hill in the movie? I guess they were Skrulls impersonating them the whole time. That's kinda disappointing to hear if true.
Yeah, they're the same Skrulls from Captain Marvel.
Digifiend is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 11:47 PM #506
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Yeah, they're the same Skrulls from Captain Marvel.
That's unfortunate. I was expecting we would get genuine interaction between Peter Parker and Nick Fury. Like why bring back SLJ just to have him be a Skrull in the end? Oh well I guess.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 01:07 AM #507
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

That's unfortunate. I was expecting we would get genuine interaction between Peter Parker and Nick Fury. Like why bring back SLJ just to have him be a Skrull in the end? Oh well I guess.
Because ...
the scene ends with the real Nick Fury.

He's on a gigantic spaceship, somewhere in the galaxy, surrounded by Skrulls. It looks like he's there willingly, he's not in a cell or anything. But it definitely sets up a plot-line to be explored in the future. Either Guardians 3 or Captain Marvel 2, or maybe they're doing long-term prep for "Secret Invasion"?
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 05:14 AM #508
> PRangerX
VIP Ranger

PRangerX
VIP Ranger

The Skrulls can read the minds of the people they duplicate. So its likely "Fury"'s reactions are close to the real ones that would come from the real thing

Its gonna be interesting to see how they get around Spider-Man being a fugitive and the effect it has on his personal life. It should also complicate his relationship with MJ. I can't see him going back to school now.

PRangerX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 05:25 AM #509
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

PRangerX wrote: View Post

Its gonna be interesting to see how they get around Spider-Man being a fugitive and the effect it has on his personal life. It should also complicate his relationship with MJ. I can't see him going back to school now.
Not necessarily.

I mean, it seemed to indicate that Jamison is a hack and the Daily Bugle is a trash junk-journalism website. Which means people wouldn't take it seriously anyway.

As to fixing the problem? Establishing that Spider-Man and Peter Parker are two different people?

Uh ...

We have Skrulls now. SHIELD seems to have two of them on payroll.

I will say that the MCU continues to frustrate me with really important, potentially-meaty storylines happening entirely off-camera.

May discovering Pete's identity? All dealt with between "Homecoming" and "Infinity War". And now, instead of establishing any connection between Pete and Jamison, it just comes out of the blue in the stinger. The Sokovia accords seem to have been dealt with, off-camera. Hulk and Banner seemed to sort their issues out off-camera. C'mon guys.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 06:27 AM #510
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Peter wrote: View Post

I will say that the MCU continues to frustrate me with really important, potentially-meaty storylines happening entirely off-camera.
It's precisely this fast food movie mentality and disregard for an audience's attention span and intelligence that makes hating these movies so easy for me most of the time. Every potential idea they have for a major dramatic beat is compromised by the need to play it both safe and for laughs.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:18 AM #511
> leolim
Power Ranger

leolim
Power Ranger

Everytime I hear the word Peter Tingle (god its worst than Penis Parker) I think of Tom auditioning the role of a live action Amuro Ray because of the newtype stuff.
leolim is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 08:08 AM #512
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

It's precisely this fast food movie mentality and disregard for an audience's attention span and intelligence that makes hating these movies so easy for me most of the time. Every potential idea they have for a major dramatic beat is compromised by the need to play it both safe and for laughs.
You have one 2 hour movie every 2 to 3 years. You really don't have that much of a leeway to delve into potential storylines. Like Aunt May finding out he is Spider-man we didn't have the time to tell that story because there is a 5 year gap between Homecoming and Far From Home. Dying kinda cuts away the need to delve into her finding out. Infinity War wasn't about Peter's life at that moment. Shit was happening he got sucked into that shit storm. May wasn't there because it was unimportant to the narrative of Infinity War.

That isn't to say they do play it safe they have to of course but at the end of the day some of their decisions suck because of it but it is understandable why. Failure can destroy the entire franchise. So they avoid any failure. Sure it is safe but this is a business first and we don't have a week for the next episode or a month for the next issue we have years for the next movie.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 08:32 AM #513
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

You have one 2 hour movie every 2 to 3 years. You really don't have that much of a leeway to delve into potential storylines. Like Aunt May finding out he is Spider-man we didn't have the time to tell that story because there is a 5 year gap between Homecoming and Far From Home.
What happened to mini-sodes? Marvel tried it with a couple of side characters like Coulson, Peggy and Trevor, you could have adapted JMS' "The Conversation" easily as a feature on the Homecoming DVD.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:11 AM #514
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Whew boy.

J. Jonah Jameson is Alex Jones, Mysterio remains a lying liar, Peter is outed and wanted, Talos and Soren were covering for Fury and Hill... I left this film wondering what the hell I just watched.
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:31 AM #515
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

What happened to mini-sodes? Marvel tried it with a couple of side characters like Coulson, Peggy and Trevor, you could have adapted JMS' "The Conversation" easily as a feature on the Homecoming DVD.
They stopped those once the shows started. The biggest issue with something like Peter and May is that again it is 5 years later. They dealt with a bigger issue than just Peter being Spider-man.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:45 AM #516
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

No spoilers here, because all of this was in early trailers:

I believe the way it was dealt with at the end of Homecoming pretty much tells us all we need to know about May discovering Peter's identity. We don't need it to be given any more attention, it's done, it's been a few years since then. We are not short on movies where Peter is having to hide his secret identity from Aunt May, his best friend and his girlfriend.

In fact, one thing I like about these two movies is that anyone who finds out Peter's secret is either because they catch Peter offguard, or they just figure it out because they're not stupid (such as Vulture figuring it out in Homecoming). It keeps a level of realism that you really couldn't be a superhero like that and expect nobody to notice.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 09:49 AM #517
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

or they just figure it out because they're not stupid.
Once upon a time, that's exactly how Marvel had Mary Jane learn Peter's identity, with her deducing things and keeping her suspicions to herself for years until it all got too much for her one day...

....then they had Gerry Conway reveal she found out by looking at Peter climbing out a window

Or what about Aunt May in the 90s? Before she died, she told Peter she had figured it out for years beforehand and never told him...

...Then they revealed that May was a genetic actress hired by Norman to mess with Peter

Sigh.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 10:22 AM #518
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

That isn't to say they do play it safe they have to of course but at the end of the day some of their decisions suck because of it but it is understandable why. Failure can destroy the entire franchise. So they avoid any failure. Sure it is safe but this is a business first and we don't have a week for the next episode or a month for the next issue we have years for the next movie.
Marvel is playing for save because they dont want the story repeat itself because the others Spider-Men Movies, for now is better they playing for save, since now they are making the movies and not Sony, they prefer to keep the safe zone for later risk more. Since the Franchice already pass for enought changes...
Akumaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2019, 10:42 AM #519
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Akumaru wrote: View Post

Marvel is playing for save because they dont want the story repeat itself because the others Spider-Men Movies, for now is better they playing for save, since now they are making the movies and not Sony, they prefer to keep the safe zone for later risk more. Since the Franchice already pass for enought changes...
I'm talking about in general as well beyond just Spider-man. They have to be safe. Hundreds of millions of dollars are invested into these films. While yeah Sony takes the brunt with Spider-man the truth is now that it is under MCU if a Spider-man movie would fail it would reflect onto Marvel Studios. Why every film is safe every film follows a formula. When that formula is stale they'll figure out a new one.
Old July 3rd, 2019, 10:45 AM #520
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

I'm talking about in general as well beyond just Spider-man. They have to be safe. Hundreds of millions of dollars are invested into these films. While yeah Sony takes the brunt with Spider-man the truth is now that it is under MCU if a Spider-man movie would fail it would reflect onto Marvel Studios. Why every film is safe every film follows a formula. When that formula is stale they'll figure out a new one.
The formula's been stale since the novelty peaked in 2012, the problem is the mainstream seem to be OK with just letting the films be this way and rewarding them for it.