Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:00 PM #61
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,863
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,863



My first time in here and I cause an argument.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:05 PM #62
DigificWriter's Avatar
> DigificWriter
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,801
DigificWriter
Banned
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,801



Heroblob wrote: View Post

Watching it in chronological order kind of kills some of the drama of the OT. And honestly, I'm not sure if someone would make it through II and III and decide to keep going. You've got to realize that a lot of what makes the Prequels enjoyable (to the extent that they're enjoyable) is the context of already having the Original Trilogy. Without OT-tinted glasses, the characters and events of the Prequels would seem pretty weird and boring, especially with how unlikeable some of the main characters are.
Lucas and Lucasfilm never cared about preserving "the drama of the OT"; the only people who do are stubborn fans who insist on overcomplicating things.
DigificWriter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 03:12 PM #63
GetTheeToABrewery's Avatar
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,832
GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here
GetTheeToABrewery's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,832



GreenBeastFist wrote: View Post

My first time in here and I cause an argument.
Trust me, you didn't cause anything...

DigificWriter wrote: View Post

Lucas and Lucasfilm never cared about preserving "the drama of the OT"; the only people who do are stubborn fans who insist on overcomplicating things.
How is chronological order any less complicated than release order? Hell, how is it not more complicated?
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 04:37 PM #64
DigificWriter's Avatar
> DigificWriter
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,801
DigificWriter
Banned
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,801



johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

How is chronological order any less complicated than release order?
Because there's a narrative through-line beginning with The Phantom Menace and continuing on through The Force Awakens that was designed to progress organically and sequentially, and cutting things up by watching everything out of sequence or only watching certain parts of the Saga disrupts that through-line and makes it harder to fully grasp everything that's happening, especially thematically.

The same mindset that perpetuates this whole "chronological vs. release, etc." argument is what led J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan to approach The Force Awakens the way that they did, and is what led the film to be less satisfactory than it should've been, particularly in comparison to Rogue One, which is the best Star Wars movie to be released since 2005 without question.

Last edited by DigificWriter; May 6th, 2017 at 04:43 PM.
DigificWriter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 05:44 PM #65
Heroblob's Avatar
> Heroblob
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,280
Heroblob
Banned
Heroblob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,280



I just disagree. The prequels were designed to be watched after the OT, because they were MADE after the OT. The primary audience going in was people who had seen the original films. Lucas can say all he wants that he had the whole thing planned all along, but the fact of the matter is that most of the important events in the Prequels are only interesting or meaningful in the context of the events that we know will happen in the OT.

And I don't really see how that has anything to do with JJ Abrams's approach to the sequel trilogy. Episode VII is an exercise in corporate strategic marketing more than anything else. "This plays well, repeat this. This kind of character tests well, insert him/her. People haven't seen x race/gender character in x role, put one in but make them exactly like existing characters so you don't alienate old fans." It's marketing disguised as storytelling. Which is something that the Prequels, at very least, are not.
Heroblob is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 06:09 PM #66
DigificWriter's Avatar
> DigificWriter
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,801
DigificWriter
Banned
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,801



Heroblob wrote: View Post

I just disagree. The prequels were designed to be watched after the OT, because they were MADE after the OT. The primary audience going in was people who had seen the original films.
This is patently false... not to mention entirely irrelevant besides.

Lucas can say all he wants that he had the whole thing planned all along, but the fact of the matter is that most of the important events in the Prequels are only interesting or meaningful in the context of the events that we know will happen in the OT.
This is also patently false. The Phantom Menace is very clearly the beginning of the Saga, complete with exposition about the way that the galaxy operates and what certain things, and, while the later films have some minor exposition in them, they're also clearly designed to be part of a sequential whole, one in which what came before directly affects what comes after.

And I don't really see how that has anything to do with JJ Abrams's approach to the sequel trilogy. Episode VII is an exercise in corporate strategic marketing more than anything else. "This plays well, repeat this. This kind of character tests well, insert him/her. People haven't seen x race/gender character in x role, put one in but make them exactly like existing characters so you don't alienate old fans." It's marketing disguised as storytelling.
You're 3 for 3 in patent falsehoods with a single post, so congratulations.

The Force Awakens was made the way that it was because of J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan's personal desire to recapture (or at least attempt to recapture) the things that they felt and experienced seeing A New Hope for the first time in the theaters, without comprehending that the things they felt and experienced exist only in their own minds, which is exactly the same kind of mindset that the fans who insist that the stated chronological order of the Star Wars movies is not the way the films "ought" to be experienced operate under (the films are best experienced the way that "I" personally experienced them, regardless of what the people directly responsible for making the movies say on the subject).

Thankfully, Kasdan and Abrams weren't given total 'free reign' since, as pointed out by Brian Young of The Full of Sith Podcast, the Fauxthentic History Podcast, and Star Wars.Com, there was at least SOME attempt made in the film to keep things consistent with the thematic underpinnings of the Saga as laid out and designed by Lucas, although it does require some critical thinking in order to pick up on said consistency (which is unfortunate).
DigificWriter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:07 PM #67
Heroblob's Avatar
> Heroblob
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,280
Heroblob
Banned
Heroblob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,280



Well, thanks for your opinions, but obviously I disagree, and since, again, we're talking about opinions, the term 'patently false' isn't really applicable.

Regarding Abrams and Kasdan, people saying they want to 'recapture' their nostalgic experiences is usually corporate nuspeak for "rehashing old concepts because they're proven money makers."
Heroblob is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:44 PM #68
SephStuff's Avatar
> SephStuff
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,061
SephStuff
Power Ranger
SephStuff's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,061



DigificWriter wrote: View Post

(the films are best experienced the way that "I" personally experienced them, regardless of what the people directly responsible for making the movies say on the subject).
I personally experienced the films for the first time completely drunk in a room full of other drunk people. I highly recommend it, no matter what the filmmakers say because life is about enjoying the moment not about critically analyzing every single moment.
SephStuff is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 09:49 PM #69
GetTheeToABrewery's Avatar
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,832
GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here
GetTheeToABrewery's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,832



DigificWriter wrote: View Post

(the films are best experienced the way that "I" personally experienced them, regardless of what the people directly responsible for making the movies say on the subject).
Except that's true. If the way the rights-holders say I should watch the films elicits less entertainment than the way I prefer to watch them, my way wins. End of. They have no business dictating such things, and you have no business saying that they do.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:35 PM #70
Allio's Avatar
> Allio
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,612
Allio
Power Ranger
Allio's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,612



personally, I still find:
Rogue One -> 4 -> 5 -> 1 -> 2-> -> 3 -> 6 -> 7 -> future releases

to be the best narrative story as it has a single flow especially from the darth vader point of view. Granted, you can cut out episode 1 as some would suggest, but I feel like if you are going to watch like 95% of everything, you might as watch that last 5%

granted, I still haven't had the chance to try it out, I plan to later this year.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2017, 11:47 PM #71
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,808
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,808



johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

Except that's true. If the way the rights-holders say I should watch the films elicits less entertainment than the way I prefer to watch them, my way wins. End of. They have no business dictating such things, and you have no business saying that they do.
You sir win this discussion!
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:47 AM #72
JaimeZeo's Avatar
> JaimeZeo
K, then.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,264
JaimeZeo
K, then.
JaimeZeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,264



DigificWriter wrote: View Post

Because no other "order" gives you the fullest experience in bringing the story to life. If it was possible to fully experience Star Wars however you wanted, the company responsible for making it wouldn't have taken an official position on how to experience it.
Then they should have just fucking made Episode I first then shouldn't they?

Don't be so ridiculous.
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:20 AM #73
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,808
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,808



JaimeZeo wrote: View Post

Then they should have just fucking made Episode I first then shouldn't they?

Don't be so ridiculous.
Good point. I don't give a crap what Digific says.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:26 AM #74
Kaigan's Avatar
> Kaigan
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 23,061
Kaigan
Banned
Kaigan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 23,061



Heroblob wrote: View Post

Well, thanks for your opinions, but obviously I disagree, and since, again, we're talking about opinions, the term 'patently false' isn't really applicable.
You must be new to DigificWriter. His entire MO is "I'm always correct and everyone else is wrong and if you disagree with me I will run away and avoid the conversation."

All this time and he still can't get it through his head that he's not the opinion police. Ridiculous.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:32 AM #75
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 34,711
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 34,711



And of course, with fanedits of SW proving popular, some prefer to watch in other sort of orders: Such as a 3-in-1 prequel version (inspired by Topher Grace's edit)
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:45 AM #76
> AkaCornSnackEtc
14 Days :(
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,192
AkaCornSnackEtc
14 Days :(
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 6,192



I've just recently watched all 7 for the first time (haven't seen Rogue One yet) but I personally chose to watch them in chronological order. It might not be the best way but I liked seeing the long string of events start and unfold. I'll probably do it in release order on my next watch.

Also as a side note, with all the merchandising behind them I expected Darth Maul And Boba Fett to do more.
AkaCornSnackEtc is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:47 AM #77
Kaigan's Avatar
> Kaigan
Banned
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 23,061
Kaigan
Banned
Kaigan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 23,061



genta gai wrote: View Post

I've just recently watched all 7 for the first time (haven't seen Rogue One yet) but I personally chose to watch them in chronological order. It might not be the best way but I liked seeing the long string of events start and unfold. I'll probably do it in release order on my next watch.

Also as a side note, with all the merchandising behind them I expected Darth Maul And Boba Fett to do more.
Nope. Boba Fett is one of the lamest, most overrated characters in media history. I honestly have no idea why he is so popular. He doesn't even look that cool.

Darth Maul was a wicked letdown. Looks way cooler than Vader and does shit.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:11 AM #78
timegold's Avatar
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,361
timegold
Destroyer of Particles
timegold's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,361



Kaigan wrote: View Post

You must be new to DigificWriter. His entire MO is "I'm always correct and everyone else is wrong and if you disagree with me I will run away and avoid the conversation."

All this time and he still can't get it through his head that he's not the opinion police. Ridiculous.
...Anakin? Noooooo!
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 10:50 AM #79
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,863
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,863



Anyways, I watched The Empire Strikes Back.

And, it was better than the first. Not to say the first one was bad, but I just liked this one better. And I don't know how, because I've seen the scene about a million times either as a clip for a joke or parodied, but the "I am your father" scene was actually kinda chilling after seeing the whole movie.

I don't know if I'll end up watching Return of the Jedi today, but I'll definitely watch it sometime soon.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 05:30 PM #80
JaimeZeo's Avatar
> JaimeZeo
K, then.
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,264
JaimeZeo
K, then.
JaimeZeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,264



Empire is still the best one, overall. Regardless of it's status in the Star Wars series, it's considered one of the greatest movies of all time for a reason.
JaimeZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Tags
porgs

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.