Home Menu

Menu

Old May 10th, 2017, 02:42 PM #21
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

Myzou wrote: View Post

Especially when they're stupid reasons that she literally only had to talk to the people about.
Rape isn't a stupid reason, and as for talking to people, maybe if you'd watch the show, you'd know why that didn't help.

Everything you said was just... super offensive. Suicide is not that simple.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:05 PM #22
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

She tried to talk to someone about her raping. If you watch the show, you will know, but if you don't want, I'll tell you:

The stupid professor told her "Did your friend said no? I she didn't, then it's not raping". I might be paraphrasing here, but still.

Yes, you made the decision, but the show doesn't say that blaming people is okay, it's just what Hannah did. A guy in twitter was saying that Skye's line: "This is what you do instead of killing yourself" (she cut herself) was wrong cause it praised that, but it's not. That's what she thinks. Just because a character in a show says something DOESN'T MEAN IS WHAT IS RIGHT FOR GOD SAKE! THAT THEIR POINT OF VIEW!!! Don't you think something and other people thinks something completely different? This is the case here.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:08 PM #23
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Kaigan wrote: View Post

Rape isn't a stupid reason, and as for talking to people, maybe if you'd watch the show, you'd know why that didn't help.

Everything you said was just... super offensive. Suicide is not that simple.
Yea. I'm well aware. Considering I literally talk to a therapist about it every goddamn week.

The show is offensive. There's "13 reasons why" yet you guys mention a single one. One that had many other approaches than suicide.

And no, the show doesn't say blaming others is okay, but it's what the show sends as a message. The book was critiqued for that.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:15 PM #24
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

Myzou wrote: View Post

Yea. I'm well aware. Considering I literally talk to a therapist about it every goddamn week.

The show is offensive. There's "13 reasons why" yet you guys mention a single one. One that had many other approaches than suicide.

And no, the show doesn't say blaming others is okay, but it's what the show sends as a message. The book was critiqued for that.
Watch the show. Then you can critique it. Considering you don't know all the details behind her decision, you can't rightfully shit on it.
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:08 PM #25
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

People have a right to say they don't want to watch the show, and to be bothered by the subject, for one reason or another. But when you try to tell others why it's bad or why it shouldn't be seen, and you yourself haven't seen it, you don't sound terribly credible. Cite a million sources, but until you've seen it, please don't try to convince me of anything. At all.

One of the show's strengths, for me, is that it's complicated. Hannah, in my view, is not a hero, and her death isn't glorified, or shown to have a positive outcome, as if she got her revenge and it's so much better now. Part of what the show is getting at is that she actually died too soon to realize how much support she actually had. How much there was to live for, and what could have happened if she had hung on a bit longer. It's a tragedy, not a victory. Yes, some stuff happened after, but that's not because Hannah was super-duper-awesome, but because, after someone dies, life goes on and people talk.

The tapes are a dumb plot device that are just there as an excuse for the show to talk about these issues, which are worthy of discussion. It's a hook for viewers to unravel a long, complex story. Which is why it's such a marvel that they actually do show how insecure and oblivious Hannah can be, at times, in addition to all the blaming that other characters do to each other.

This is not a show for elementary schoolers. It's graphic and the characters talk the way human beings actually talk. It seems wrong for people to demand the show be less complex just because it would be easier to digest. It's especially upsetting when these views come from people who don't plan on digesting it in the first place.
Multiple Man is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 05:59 PM #26
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

Multiple Man wrote: View Post

People have a right to say they don't want to watch the show, and to be bothered by the subject, for one reason or another. But when you try to tell others why it's bad or why it shouldn't be seen, and you yourself haven't seen it, you don't sound terribly credible. Cite a million sources, but until you've seen it, please don't try to convince me of anything. At all.

One of the show's strengths, for me, is that it's complicated. Hannah, in my view, is not a hero, and her death isn't glorified, or shown to have a positive outcome, as if she got her revenge and it's so much better now. Part of what the show is getting at is that she actually died too soon to realize how much support she actually had. How much there was to live for, and what could have happened if she had hung on a bit longer. It's a tragedy, not a victory. Yes, some stuff happened after, but that's not because Hannah was super-duper-awesome, but because, after someone dies, life goes on and people talk.

The tapes are a dumb plot device that are just there as an excuse for the show to talk about these issues, which are worthy of discussion. It's a hook for viewers to unravel a long, complex story. Which is why it's such a marvel that they actually do show how insecure and oblivious Hannah can be, at times, in addition to all the blaming that other characters do to each other.

This is not a show for elementary schoolers. It's graphic and the characters talk the way human beings actually talk. It seems wrong for people to demand the show be less complex just because it would be easier to digest. It's especially upsetting when these views come from people who don't plan on digesting it in the first place.
That's the problem. If he had just left it at he didn't want to see the show, I could live with that. But when he sits there and criticizes the reasons why Hannah does thing she does, without even knowing all the reasons, that's not okay.
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:18 PM #27
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Most of the bad things that happened to Hannah could have been avoided.

She was just so desperate to fit in with the popular kids. Its an entire school and she kept trying to be accepted by the same group of kids. She couldnt have just said fuck off and found a new clique?

for example, WHY would you go to Bryce's house knowing what he did to Jessica?
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:40 PM #28
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

Most of the bad things that happened to Hannah could have been avoided.

She was just so desperate to fit in with the popular kids. Its an entire school and she kept trying to be accepted by the same group of kids. She couldnt have just said fuck off and found a new clique?

for example, WHY would you go to Bryce's house knowing what he did to Jessica?
It's not about her trying to get in with the popular kids. She liked a jock that her old bf had been with. That went south. And then the two friends she had, Jessica and Alex, had fallen away. So on and so forth, it was never about her trying to get in with the popular crowd, it was just Hannah trying to make friends, or liking a guy and things end up going wrong.

As for Bryce's house party...well we're watching it as the viewer who gets basically everything that's going on. And we're hearing the story told from a Hannah that is looking at things back in hindsight. But the Hannah at that time in a confused person. She doesn't know what's going on, she suffering her own troubles and at that particular moment suffering from the recent screw up with her parents and the bank deposit which clearly leaves her feeling useless. She wasn't even intending to go to Bryce's, she just heard the music and found a party and it ended up being what it was. She was lost, confused, alone and her voice over mentions how parties are kind of a different world, their own thing which implies feeling like parties are a kind of escapism.

Just finished the series actually, finishing the Behind the Reasons feature. Started it yesterday, I really liked it. I wasn't sure at first, but I was intrigued. It was interesting and really honest. Yeah sure, you could comment how the tape thing is kind of hokey or a stretch, and maybe it is, but at the same time it works out. I kept having to watch the next episode, wanted to learn more and see what was going to happen as things unraveled.

It's true though, Hannah isn't a hero, she's as much of a screw up as everyone else really. But at the same time, it's hard. Not just for teens, but for people in general; feeling those kinds of emotions. It's easy to say well she should've said something, but when you're the person in those shoes it's not so easy. And as we saw, even when you try it doesn't always work out. I liked how, in the beginning the first couple tapes are all kind of clear about how Hannah was a victim. But then you hear the other kids talking and saying how, "Oh, she's lying though". Part of me wondered if maybe she was, or stretching the truth. But I felt it was sort of a turning point when you hit Zack's tape and you're hearing her narration but seeing how things went down and realize that while he was kind of an idiot she was partially to blame for that one as well, that she screwed up too.

I...am not sure how I feel about it getting a S2 if that actually happens. Not because it's based on a book and thus no more material, but just that the story itself is more or less resolved. I mean yeah it leaves things off on a cliffhanger for a couple characters which sucks but at the same time it feels real in that, as others mentioned, real life does end up all wrapped up nicely either. So yeah. I mean I guess there's more story to tell but at the same time I don't know that they should try.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 04:59 AM #29
> Crazy Davey
I'm Batman

Crazy Davey
I'm Batman

Watched this show last week and I thought it was really well done and respectful to the subject at hand. I felt they showed both sides of the situation pretty fairly. The show was focused more on Hannah's POV, so i can kind of see how people might think it was glorifying suicidie, but that's only if you're not paying attention to the other characters (specifically Clay) who were all struggling with the aftermath of it all, as well.

Personally, it felt real to me. Let's face it, not a lot of people would do the things that Clay does to try and make things right. He was the only one who was trying to change that.
Crazy Davey is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 05:29 AM #30
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Crazy Davey wrote: View Post

Watched this show last week and I thought it was really well done and respectful to the subject at hand. I felt they showed both sides of the situation pretty fairly. The show was focused more on Hannah's POV, so i can kind of see how people might think it was glorifying suicidie, but that's only if you're not paying attention to the other characters (specifically Clay) who were all struggling with the aftermath of it all, as well.

Personally, it felt real to me. Let's face it, not a lot of people would do the things that Clay does to try and make things right. He was the only one who was trying to change that.
Exactly. You get all this info basically just from Hannah's side which yeah turned out to be a bit skewed. Or more to the point, while some of them were just plain jerks others just were scared or maybe made a wrong decision but it doesn't really make them bad people exactly. Like Courtney. She's kind of a stuck up pain and she did a bad thing but she was scared. And when Clay gets his "revenge" on her at the cemetery you get it from her side, getting to understand her feelings on it.

Also just the fact that her tapes and just her death alone yeah had an effect on people, caused things. Hearing those tapes caused people to tormet the voyeur Tyler. And while what he did wasn't right, breaking his window repeatedly and then the ultimate humiliation Clay did really wasn't right either and we see how it just snowballs for Tyler to the point at the end where yeah it certainly seems like he's stocking up for a school shooting or something.
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:45 PM #31
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

Just finished the season.

Wow this show was powerful. When the credits started rolling on the final episode, I was left feeling very raw. There's enough dangling plot threads that I can see how there can be a second season, but I'm still torn on whether or not one is absolutely necessary.

Call me cautiously optimistic. My pet theory for season two is its going to revolve around
Tyler's planned shooting hit list

I need to be honest. I never even heard of the book until the show was coming out. I really want to read it, now. It's like, $10 on Kindle. I may have to get it when I get paid next week.

Crazy Davey wrote: View Post

Her parents, too.

I'd go so far to say I am legitimately dumbfounded that anyone that watched this show could possibly think the show was glorifying or romanticizing suicide.

Just look at the other characters. Their lives have been absolutely wrecked by this.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 07:29 PM #32
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

I had a friend who yesterday had said he felt it romanticized suicide more toward the final episodes. But I had only watched through ep 5 then so couldn't ask him to elaborate but next time I see him I will cause I'm curious. Cause yeah, I don't see how it really romanticizes it. The closest I can come up with it is that we see how this girl kills herself but sets up this elaborate scheme with the tapes that happens to basically get all the people she felt were involved or responsible to at least kind of change. And spurred the boy she had loved to get the evidence to try and put Bryce the rapist behind bars.

While obviously she probably didn't consider that outcome to be possible, it may be that people consider that glorifying it like a suicide could be used to make stuff happen or something? Honestly I don't know, I got nothing.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention before. So while watching the series, until it actually came to Clay's tape, I really felt like when we did get it to Hannah was going to accuse Clay of doing nothing. Cause we see all the flashbacks and while most of time he's a good friend, there were moments like in the beginning when Bryce sends out the pic, or during the 'Best Ass' list when she's harassed in the hallway he glances and she takes it as he was amused by it. And just in general, he doesn't act. Totally thought she was going to accuse him of doing nothing when he should've. Though to be fair, he basically figured that out for himself so it wasn't necessarily needed for Hannah to accuse him anyways but still.
Old May 13th, 2017, 03:13 AM #33
> ⚡Zeddykins
FACEPALM

Zeddykins
FACEPALM

I just finished binging this after starting it a few days ago. My mind is everywhere with this series right now. Everything that happened really made me feel. Once I got to the last episode though, I cried like I had just lost someone incredibly close to me. No movie or TV show has ever done that to me. I give props to everyone involved, because it captured what it truly feels like, to me at least.

As someone who has struggled with these kinds of feelings in the past, I can say with sincerity and truth that it helps tremendously to have your support team backing you. I felt for Hannah so much when I saw what she was going through and it made me hurt that she was attempting to make things better and wound up without anyone. Even one person can make things better.

My heartstrings were tugged at so much and watching all of it makes me incredibly grateful for the friends I have and that they're there for me when it counts.

Happy thoughts aside, I can see why people would have an opposition to the show. It may seem like glorified suicide, but I truly believe that part of the message here is that doing the right thing and standing up to cruelty is a crucial step. I know that life and people can hit you hard sometimes, but pushing back is a necessity. I'm not saying start fights, but words can either help or hinder a situation. Obviously, body, appearance, reputation, etc shaming is where it starts. People suck, plain and simple.

Part of the process is indeed ignoring and moving on, but also having your chat buddy helps. I can't stress how important that is. It brought me back from the brink more than a few times.

I can tell I'm borderline breaking the Personal Issue Rule here, so I'll stop before it goes any further. I apologize if it went too far for some of you. (However, I'd really like to hear some casual feedback on some of this whole topic).

As far as the show goes, I thought it was crafted quite well. I enjoyed the acting very much and the characters were most engaging. It highlighted how certain issues start, what happens during and the consequences when they end. As much as people may think that it's high school drama, it's more about what happens in life in general. Stuff like that doesn't just stop after that period of life. People will always talk and have their opinions, and unfortunately, try stuff. None of it is ever ok. I hope no one has to experience any of it, but sadly I know it will happen.

Just gotta be strong and surround yourself with the real love. Much of that last part to you all.

*rant over*
Zeddykins is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:05 AM #34
> Crazy Davey
I'm Batman

Crazy Davey
I'm Batman

The 2nd Evil wrote: View Post

Her parents, too.

Yes! Her parents could've easily become annoying characters, but because of how real they felt, I actually felt their pain at losing their daughter. Same thing with Clay's parents, specifically his mother, who was growing more worried about him as the series goes on.

The show just happens to take a realistic approach on the matter. And even though Hannah's POV is the focus, we do get to see moments of all the other characters affected. Some of them just happen to be jerks, but some of them were just scared, ashamed or hurt themselves.

I think Season 2 could really delve more deeper into the other characters, which the producers have recently confirmed that's the plan.
Crazy Davey is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:32 PM #35
> MMPRFan90
Power Ranger

MMPRFan90
Power Ranger

To some of the people who are coming down on Hannah for the decisions she made, you guys have to remember that she was a 16 year old girl. Hannah is the poster child for "It gets better" and unfortunately being so young, she didn't know that. All of us were teenagers at some point and I'm sure that most of us didn't have the common sense to know that high school was only 4 years out of what could be a long life. The different things that happened to her broke her down. It's so sad that she didn't realize how much her parents (who were freakin awesome BTW) loved her and couldn't stay around for them.
MMPRFan90 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:30 PM #36
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

New actors set for season 2:

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/13-r...-2-1202519799/

“13 Reasons Why” is beefing up its cast, adding seven new actors to Season 2 of the Netflix hit, Variety has learned.

Anne Winters, Bryce Cass, Chelsea Alden, Allison Miller, Samantha Logan, Kelli O’Hara, and Ben Lawson have joined the second season of “13 Reasons Why,” which is currently in production. None of the new cast members are series regulars, but many will appear in majority of the episodes throughout the season.

The new actors will play a variety of roles, including new students, and also more mature characters, such as a litigator, who will presumably be central to the storyline that is expected to revolve around a lawsuit filed by parents (Kate Walsh and Brian d’Arcy James) against the high school in the series, in light of last season’s suicide by student Hannah Baker (Katherine Langford).

Among the students are Winters, who will play Chloe, the beautiful “it girl” at Liberty High and the new head cheerleader.

Winters starred on FX’s “Tyrant” and ABC’s “Wicked City.” She also stars on AwesomenessTV’s “Zac & Mia,” which will air this year on go90, and in the feature film “Mom & Dad,” opposite Nicolas Cage and Selma Blair, which premieres next month at the Toronto Film Festival. She also had a series regular role on NBC’s “Cruel Intentions” reboot last year, which ultimately was not picked up to series. Winters is repped by Gersh Agency and managed by Primary Wave Entertainment.

Cass was play Cyrus, an edgy, cynical mischief maker who serves as an unexpected champion of the downtrodden. “13 Reasons Why” marks Cass’ first major role, though last pilot season, he also booked a large role on NBC’s “Cruel Intentions” pilot.

Alden, will play Cyrus’ sister, Mackenzie, who is described as an artsy and witty girl who isn’t afraid to speak her mind. Alden was most recently seen in FX’s “American Horror Story: Roanoke” and last season of HBO’s “Veep.” Coming up, she will also have a guest role on another Netflix series, “The Ranch.”

Logan, will play Nina, a well respected track star with a secret. She recently wrapped roles in the films “Polaroid” and “The Empty Man,” and was a regular on ABC’s “666 Park Avenue.” She has had other roles on MTV’s “Teen Wolf” and Freeform’s “The Fosters” and “Melissa & Joey.” Like two of her other new “13 Reasons Why” co-stars, Logan was also a regular in NBC’s “Cruel Intentions” pilot revival.

O’Hara will play Jackie, a warm, intelligent, passionate advocate for victims of bullying. O’Hara is a Broadway star, who won the best leading actress Tony award in 2015 for “The King and I.” Her screen work includes Showtime’s “Masters of Sex” and “The Good Fight” on CBS All Access.

Miller will play Sonya, a smart and ambitious young litigator. Miller is bet known as the female lead in Syfy’s “Incorporated” from executive producers Matt Damon and Ben Affleck. She also starred in Fox’s “Terra Nova” and NBC’s “Kings.”

Lawson will play Rick, the beloved baseball coach at Liberty High. The Australian actor’s credits include the rom-com “No Strings Attached,” plus TV shows like “Modern Family,” “Covert Affairs,” and “2 Broke Girls.”

“13 Reasons Why” stars Katherine Langford and Dylan Minnette, who were both honored as part of Variety‘s Young Hollywood issue, out on Tuesday. The duo stars alongside Christian Navarro, Alisha Boe, Brandon Flynn, Justin Prentice, and Miles Heizer. The watercooler hit about a teen girl’s suicide became one of the biggest breakout series of 2017. Season 2 will pick up in the aftermath of Hannah’s death and as the other characters start their complicated journeys toward healing and recovery.
Old August 9th, 2017, 04:43 PM #37
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

I really enjoyed the show, so I'm curious to see if they can pull off an interesting second season. Not totally sure if it'll be possible...but I'm hoping.
Old April 30th, 2018, 08:24 PM #38
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Teaser Trailer and date: May 18th, 2018

https://www.facebook.com/13ReasonsWh...jk2MjE4NDA5OQ/
Old April 30th, 2018, 09:05 PM #39
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Bummer the text is in Spanish. But nice. I've been tempted to pick up the DVD release for S1, cause I really did enjoy the show but can't afford it right now. And with that release date I was planning on subbing again probably come June, so will be able to enjoy it. My list of stuff to watch when next I sub keeps getting longer and longer XD
Old May 1st, 2018, 09:20 AM #40
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

^Sorry 'bout that. I grabbed it from 13ReasonWhyLAT since I'm from Peru and Spanish is one of our languages.

I like the show, but I think I will re-watch season 1 just to remember all for season 2.