Home Menu

Menu

Old March 31st, 2017, 05:27 PM #1
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Netflix's 13 Reasons Why: Coming Back in 2019

So, this new Netflix show based on a book premiered today. Are you gonna watch it? Have you read the books? Wanna talk about theories? Wanna talk about the book? You can here!

You, use spoilers tag for this first week, when talking about the book and the series. After April 7th, you can talk without them.

13 Reasons Why is an American television series based on the 2007 novel Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher and adapted by Brian Yorkey for Netflix. Diana Son and Brian Yorkey are co-showrunners on the series. The first season consists of thirteen episodes. All episodes, and the special 13 Reasons Why: Beyond the Reasons, were released on Netflix on March 31, 2017.

Summary thanks to Mr Tuesday II:

It's about a teenage girl, Hannah, that commits suicide. Clay, a boy that had a crush on her, one day gets a box of old cassette tapes. Finding a way to play the tapes, he listens and hears Hannah on them.

The tapes are her suicide note.

The first tape explains that whoever​ has them are one of the reasons she killed herself. And there are 13 people mentioned on the tapes. 13 people who caused her suicide. The audience learns who the other 12 are through Clay's listening if the tapes. Learning about Hannah and why she killed herself.

Also, who catched the reference in the title?

Last edited by Dexter1998; June 6th, 2018 at 12:19 PM.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 07:50 PM #2
> FlashmanX
Prism Flash

FlashmanX
Prism Flash

I'm interested in watching it eventually. Right now I'm binging Hawaii five o.
I read the book when it came out and thought it was ok. I like the idea of the actual tapes included with the website. Why do they call it season one cause it really can't have a season two? I downloaded another book similar to this yesterday. If you like this maybe you want to check it out. It is called Playlist of the Dead.
FlashmanX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 02:02 AM #3
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

FlashmanX wrote: View Post

I read the book when it came out and thought it was ok. I like the idea of the actual tapes included with the website. Why do they call it season one cause it really can't have a season two? I downloaded another book similar to this yesterday. If you like this maybe you want to check it out. It is called Playlist of the Dead.
Well, it's possible. They can tackle other hard things. Recast the show for a new school, etc.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:13 AM #4
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

I need to know what Clay did like right fucking now.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:56 AM #5
> Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Kaigan wrote: View Post

I need to know what Clay did like right fucking now.
According to the book, Clay and Hannah end up making out at a party. Hannah pushes Clay away remembering​ what happened the last time she kissed a boy. Clay leaves.

Hannah admits Clay doesn't belong on the tapes. But she needed a way to apologise to him. And wishes they got to know each other better.
Mr Tuesday II is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:57 AM #6
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

My friend said she binged it all yesterday and its worth a watch so i'll be sure to tune in
But i've heard other reviews that they stray away from the main plot a little so i'll be sure to see... still need to finish iron fist ^_^
toejammer is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:26 AM #7
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Can someone summarise what it's actually about? Being told it's based on a book, and a poster isn't particularly helpful. Is it a mystery? Drama? It feels like I should care, yet I don't.

That said, I do understand it can be hard to convey a show in a poster. There's currently a billboard for "The Blacklist" near me, and it's literally just James Spader in a suit & hat, and if I didn't know what that show was about already, that poster would not be helpful.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:44 AM #8
> Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

Can someone summarise what it's actually about? Being told it's based on a book, and a poster isn't particularly helpful. Is it a mystery? Drama? It feels like I should care, yet I don't.

That said, I do understand it can be hard to convey a show in a poster. There's currently a billboard for "The Blacklist" near me, and it's literally just James Spader in a suit & hat, and if I didn't know what that show was about already, that poster would not be helpful.
It's about a teenage girl, Hannah, that commits suicide. Clay, a boy that had a crush on her, one day gets a box of old cassette tapes. Finding a way to play the tapes, he listens and hears Hannah on them.

The first tape explains that whoever​ has them are one of the reasons she killed herself. And there are 13 people mentioned on the tapes. 13 people who caused her suicide. The audience learns who the other 12 are through Clay's listening if the tapes. Learning about Hannah and why she killed herself.
Old April 1st, 2017, 01:00 PM #9
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Mr Tuesday II wrote: View Post

Is it okay if I post this in the first post? Is really good compared to what it is right now.
Old April 1st, 2017, 01:32 PM #10
> Lightsaberboy
COME ON!

Lightsaberboy
COME ON!

FlashmanX wrote: View Post

i haven't watched it all yet but i think they split the book in half, beucase there's supposed to be 13 tapes but the episode titles only go up to tape 7.
Lightsaberboy is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 01:34 PM #11
> Kaigan
Banned

Kaigan
Banned

Lightsaberboy wrote: View Post

i haven't watched it all yet but i think they split the book in half, beucase there's supposed to be 13 tapes but the episode titles only go up to tape 7.
Not 13 tapes, thirteen people. Two sides to each tape, with the seventh only having one.
Kaigan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 02:26 PM #12
> Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Mr Tuesday II
I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal!

Dexter1998 wrote: View Post

Is it okay if I post this in the first post? Is really good compared to what it is right now.
Go for it.
Old April 1st, 2017, 02:44 PM #13
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Mr Tuesday II wrote: View Post

Go for it.
Thanks! It will be really helpful.

Edit:

Just finished watching the series...

My heart was ripped out of my body and then twisted. That was the best tv series I've seen in all my life.

While somethings might be seen as "poorly acted", I have classmates that acted that way, so I considere this accurate in everything.

If you haven't seen the series or read the book. Do it. NOW.

Now it's time for me to read the book.

Last edited by Dexter1998; April 1st, 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:27 AM #14
> FlashmanX
Prism Flash

FlashmanX
Prism Flash

Anyone read his other book The Future of Us?
It has been on my list. It is about facebook predicting the future.
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:19 AM #15
> ⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

This was good.

The main hook gave me a little trouble, just because Hannah's plan is so elaborate to expect all those people to follow with all those steps, and the tapes are listened to over such an extended period of time. But I appreciate that the show did what it could to explain it away and make it part of the characters' flaws/emotional state. I also like that just about every character is fleshed out and not just a simple, one-note caricature.

Really, the best reason for the show to be made is the subject-matter and the complicated mess of sorting things out. There were so many ways it could have been screwed up with overly simple portrayals or perfect endings or whatever, but they avoided everything I was dreading.

I also like how the last few minutes go.
Assuming this really is the ending, it's nice that there isn't this big wrap-up where Bryce is arrested and the crew bands together heroically or some other Hollywoody thing.

It's implied that Bryce will face consequences, and people reach major turning points, but it's not neatly finished. We don't actually see much of an ending, because the reality is that this sort of thing doesn't "end" like a movie- there's still shit to deal with. And you don't know what will happen next, or if you've done enough, or if everyone is safe and whole. The ending is about as certain as life.
Multiple Man is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2017, 05:39 PM #16
> FlashmanX
Prism Flash

FlashmanX
Prism Flash

I fin Hawaii Five o and I'm on ep 2 of this. While I like it and they do a good job at expanding the novel. It is weird. None of this shit happened. Right down to how she committed suicide.
Old April 24th, 2017, 02:08 PM #17
> Double D
Power Ranger

Double D
Power Ranger

I just finished the series this weekend. I loved it and I thought it had some great actors as well. I will say the scene towards the end where she does it was actually pretty intense. It kinda shook me because you think about how people go thru this in real life and it's pretty damn sad that it comes down to that sometimes.
Double D is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 07:54 PM #18
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

Decided to give this a shot. Really glad I did. The whole story is just very engrossing.

Heard it was renewed for a second season. Not quite sure how that'll work. There was only the one book, right?
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:03 PM #19
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Yes, only one book. Wonder how will it be now, I know the cliffhangers were like "AHHHHH", but I'm really curious.
Old May 10th, 2017, 02:39 PM #20
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

The best guess people have had is a school shooting.

I outright refuse to watch the show though, just on morals.

You -DON'T- blame people for suicide. YOU made the decision. Especially when they're stupid reasons that she literally only had to talk to the people about.

Keep in mind, this is a topic rather personal to me.

The original plan of Hannah surviving at the end would've made more sense. She would've sent the tapes as a "warning" and then the kids would've learned. But now she just attempts to make them feel guilty and put off the sadness on others. It's pretty fucking stupid, and I will -never- defend or watch this show.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote