Home Menu

Menu

Old February 13th, 2016, 03:16 PM #41
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

I'm really glad the original post with that information stated what people forget, that this is both extremely preliminary and not for franchise supporters, so everything should be taken lightly. What M.A.S.K. is looking like now means almost nothing.

And as someone who's never even heard of ROM before this project was announced, I'm really digging that image.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 03:21 PM #42
> Chiron723
Power Ranger

Chiron723
Power Ranger

Primo David Frank wrote: View Post

I'm really glad the original post with that information stated what people forget, that this is both extremely preliminary and not for franchise supporters, so everything should be taken lightly. What M.A.S.K. is looking like now means almost nothing.

And as someone who's never even heard of ROM before this project was announced, I'm really digging that image.
For the longest time he was essentially a Marvel character that was tasked to defeat a species called the Dire Wraiths. It's a pretty epic story all things considered, with the usual ups and downs that come with comic writing.
Chiron723 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 03:42 PM #43
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

If Hasbro had to make a deal with Marvel back in day the visionaries show would never been cancelled sooner.
Sevenlima is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 11:49 PM #44
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

I kind of want them to start over fresh for a shared cinematic universe. A Transformers reboot sans Michael Bay. Maybe do it as Beast Wars so it can be set in prehistoric times and not necessarily get in the way of the other movies internal logic.

I definitely want a GI Joe reboot after the semi-reboot sequel.

Hell, why do they have to limit themselves to movies? Bring back the shows. GI Joe is begging to be a show again. Transformers never went off the air totally, but GI Joe's had like three versions and one was just a mini series.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 02:10 AM #45
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

They were just starting to get GI Joe right again as far as the shows go. The Waid-penned mini-series was really good and I liked they aimed a bit at the older crowd...better yet, most of the 2000 era shows shared a unified continuity despite the drastic tone and stylistic shifts in each.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 07:56 AM #46
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

Yeah, a brand new GI Joe series would be great to see on TV.

They would have to be a bit careful in language perhaps. COBRA is a terrorist organisation, the word of course has different connotations in the modern age.

Then again, if they keep referring to them simply as Cobra Command, or 'The organization' then they can avoid that kind of thing.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:04 AM #47
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

I think the declining enthusiasm for American militarism over the years has hurt the G.I. Joe brand immeasurably. Unless giant robots from space actually start attacking us, Transformers will never have to deal that kind of cultural dynamic.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:16 AM #48
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

I think the declining enthusiasm for American militarism over the years has hurt the G.I. Joe brand immeasurably. Unless giant robots from space actually start attacking us, Transformers will never have to deal that kind of cultural dynamic.
Not to mention crushing enthusiasm for MASK (which is now retroactively part of the G.I. Joe brand). Although the few people who are hardcore about MASK aren't going to let things like international warfare get in their way.

The tagline "Illusion is the ultimate weapon" just gives off a bad image though, considering the general disdain for American subterfuge, lies, and political misdirection. Sure, people think it refers to literally hiding your face with a mask, but that in itself is the illusion, while the propaganda aspects are shoved into your face.
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:44 AM #49
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Internutt wrote: View Post

They would have to be a bit careful in language perhaps. COBRA is a terrorist organisation, the word of course has different connotations in the modern age.
If anything, that makes it easier to use the word terrorist. Its so synonymous with bad guys and villains to a modern audience. Especially in a military setting.

I think it's more that the attempts to revive it haven't been great. The Movies were bad. The good mini series was just a mini series. They haven't had a good toyline for any new version either.

A lot of the time when a reboot fails, there are all these other reasons thrown out for why when the only one that really matters gets ignored. In GI Joe's case, it's just quality.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:30 PM #50
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

If anything, that makes it easier to use the word terrorist. Its so synonymous with bad guys and villains to a modern audience. Especially in a military setting.
Yeah, Marvel's benefited immensely from calling HYDRA that, even going all the way back to Iron Man and the Ten Rings.

I think it's more that the attempts to revive it haven't been great. The Movies were bad. The good mini series was just a mini series. They haven't had a good toyline for any new version either.
Gotta agree with all of this.

If they'd just focus all of their attention on Snake Eyes and Baroness like I keep asking them to do, they'd be a lot better off. Those are your IP goldmines.
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:46 PM #51
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Hell, why do they have to limit themselves to movies? Bring back the shows. GI Joe is begging to be a show again. Transformers never went off the air totally, but GI Joe's had like three versions and one was just a mini series.
GI Joe had five versions, not three. There was the original series, Extreme, Sigma Six, Resolute (the mini-series), and Renegades.
GalaxyRed is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:10 PM #52
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

Hasbro Cinematic Universe

Like with their Transformers writers room they set up last summer, Paramount Pictures has set up Akiva Goldsman to oversee a writers room for a potential Hasbro Cinematic Universe featuring G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. and ROM brands. Goldsman will also serve as executive producer for all the films.

Writers include: Michael Chabon (Spider-Man 2), Brian K. Vaughn ("Under the Dome"), Nicole Perlman (Captain Marvel), Lindsey Beer, Cheo Coker (showrunner for "Luke Cage"), John Francis Daley & Jonathan Goldstein (Vacation), Joe Robert Cole (Black Panther), Jeff Pinker (Amazing Spider-Man 2), Nicole Riegel and Geneva Robertson.

I'm not sure what to think about this.
Matt C is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:20 PM #53
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

...Why the Hell would Hasbro leave out Transformers? That's their gateway drug, right there. Without a push from them, nobody's going to give a shit about the others.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:27 PM #54
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

There's already a thread for this.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 01:40 PM #55
> Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Sevenlima
Power Ranger

I can't imagine a Mask movie.
Sevenlima is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:30 PM #56
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

I used the search function, but just for Hasbro, not Allspark. My mistake.
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:41 PM #57
> PedroMcNamara
Power Ranger

PedroMcNamara
Power Ranger

Sevenlima wrote: View Post

I can't imagine a Mask movie.
Mash up the Fast/Furious movies with some GiJoe and bam....least that's how I always picture it.
PedroMcNamara is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 02:43 PM #58
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

I want an Inhumanoids movie
Virus is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2016, 03:01 PM #59
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

...Why the Hell would Hasbro leave out Transformers? That's their gateway drug, right there. Without a push from them, nobody's going to give a shit about the others.
Transformers is Paramount's biggest franchise at the moment, and they want to keep it going solo before doing team-ups and such.

That's why the TF and Hasbro/AllSpark writing rooms stayed separate. But note that three TF writer room members -- Jeff Pinkner, Lindsay Beer and Geneva Robertson -- were asked back for the separate Hasbro writers room. So that makes me think they have some TF crossover ideas that they want to expand upon.
Old April 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM #60
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

John Francis Daley being involved instantly gives me hope. Whichever one he's writing is an automatic watch for me.

And it seems like Vaughn leaving was what turned Under the Dome immensely horrible, so I'll watch his stuff too.