Old May 13th, 2015, 12:43 PM #1
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

The New Mutants | X-Men Does Horror

Fox announced another spin-off for the X-Men Franchise.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/the-new-...ox-1201425641/

EXCLUSIVE: Fox has closed a deal with The Fault In Our Stars director Josh Boone to co-write and direct The New Mutants, a standalone spinoff that expands its X-Men movie universe. The series, already part of the X-Men Comics universe, introduces a new crop of mutant characters born with special powers. Boone will co-write with Knate Gwaltney. Simon Kinberg will produce with Lauren Shuler Donner.

It is not surprising that the studio would want Boone to grow into bigger things. He came out of nowhere to direct The Fault in Our Stars, an adaptation of the John Green novel The Fault In Our Stars. The book had a rabid youthful fan base, but Boone showed a strong feel in bringing youthful pathos to the screen, and while Shailene Woodley was already an emerging star, both Ansel Elgort and Nat Wolff broke through as new stars on that film. The result was a $12 million budget Fox 2000 film that grossed $307 million worldwide. Boone became a hot director right away off that success, and among the projects he has been linked to are adaptations of the Stephen King novels The Stand and Lisey’s Story. He’s also been mentioned as one of the directors Marvel and Sony have been sweet on for the live action Spider-Man franchise reboot. Next up for him is The Vampire Chronicles at Universal, a reboot based on the Anne Rice novels that were turned into Interview With The Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. The Stand would go after, so The New Mutants is a couple years away.

Said Kinberg of the X-Men expansion with Boone: “We’re so excited to explore this new part of the X-Men universe, and so excited to do it with Josh, who is uniquely suited to tell this story about young characters.”

Fox has done well mining its X-Men franchise. Ryan Reynolds is playing Deadpool with Tim Miller directing, and Bryan Singer is directing X-Men: Apocalypse for 2016. James Mangold and Hugh Jackman are also doing another Wolverine installment with Hugh Jackman. Behind those is Gambit, a movie that has Channing Tatum attached to star. Those are the current X-Men priorities but it is proactive of Fox to keep new films in the pipeline and to reengage Boone, who’s repped by CAA and attorney Gregory Slewett. Gwaltney is also CAA.
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:48 PM #2
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

I'd have greatly preferred The New X-Men, but whatever.

Magik is literally all I ask for here.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 12:57 PM #3
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Well, that's one way of figuring out what to do with X-Men movies after the FC trilogy has wrapped.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:08 PM #4
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

I can't believe it's taken them this long to realize the X-men franchise is a whole universe unto itself to pilfer. Then again, they have had it fairly fucked up from the get go by just throwing names and characters around just to have them.

I'd like to see them do it right. The actual new Mutant cast, to make them fit the story without more just forgetting continuity and plothole shenanigans you could set them up as the junior X-men prepping to graduate the school and join the team full time. This would be their first team mission, and toss in standard teen sci fi genre clichés to make it appeal to that Hunger Games audience this would work great for, and see where it goes.

Really, they have so many X-titles to go off of and make things work it's ridiculous they're stuck on Prequels as the main focus right now. X-men: New Mutants as the YA genre movie, X-force as the darker violent straight action movie, X-factor as their Guardians either in the Government team form or Private Investigators role with a great zany cast of misfit mutants. Plus Solo films and X-men proper, you could even get away with an all X-men Avengers type team up film by pilfering X-crossovers, Mutant Massacre, Operation Zero Tolerance X-Tinction Agenda, even Onslaught. Hell, that's what Apocalypse should have been used for.

Really, at this point after Apocalypse, they might as well just straight up reboot the series and start over with The Uncanny X-men. I feel like the only thing keeping them from doing that is the big stars they have connected right now. But if Jackman is truly done with Wolverine, seems like a great time for palate cleansing.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:42 PM #5
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Well, that's one way of figuring out what to do with X-Men movies after the FC trilogy has wrapped.
Yeah, I mean, they've cast all these new versions of the classic X-Men for Apocalypse, which is stupid because it's the last part of a trilogy and will in no way set up for further films.

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

I can't believe it's taken them this long to realize the X-men franchise is a whole universe unto itself to pilfer.
But... they needed to do more films focusing on Logan! I suppose it's partially a case of this whole expanded cinematic universe thing not being a concept back in the 00s, so no one thought of it, and by the time Marvel had that going on... well, I don't know if the First Class-onwards arrangement was always the plan. At least it's happening at all. Now to see if they pull it off well - DoFP and what we've seen/heard so far with Apocalypse seems promising, as do our new young X-Men.

Really, at this point after Apocalypse, they might as well just straight up reboot the series and start over with The Uncanny X-men. I feel like the only thing keeping them from doing that is the big stars they have connected right now. But if Jackman is truly done with Wolverine, seems like a great time for palate cleansing.
I'd only want that if I wanted it to fail and get Marvel the rights back. Again, I'm pretty sure that Apocalypse is both wrapping up the Charles/Eric/Raven trilogy, but also establishing a new cast with the likes of Scott, Jean and Ororo to carry us into a new age. The older films don't matter now - First Class and DoFP have established a new universe, and DoFP has cut away the old films that First Class was initially supposed to be connected to. Apocalypse is seemingly about wrapping up the remaining narrative threads from the previous two films, and setting up for a more familiar X-Men moving forwards. Sure, most of these new young actors aren't well known (Jean's probably most so since she's in Game of Thrones), but McAvoy could possibly hang around as Xavier, and familiarity with both the brand and with these new actors courtesy of Apocalypse (plus any promising stories for the following films) could be enough of a hold. I don't think an out-and-out reboot is needed or necessarily a good idea.

Anyway, this should be interesting, and presumably means the X-Force film will be more like the post-Messiah Complex or Uncanny line-ups. Agreed with Primo that Magik should be used, and that the New X-Men are great. I look forward to hearing more about this!
TealMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 01:52 PM #6
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Not a bad idea; sort of hope we do get the classics here (I sort of want to see Wolfsbane myself) though I seriously hope they keep Cable away from this.

Heck, I'm hoping if F4 succeeds for Fox, we eventually have a confrontation between Apocalypse and Kang the Conqueror (if Fox has the rights to him and not Marvel/Disney)
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:20 PM #7
> ZeoFan88
Power Ranger

ZeoFan88
Power Ranger

Wolfsbane please. I always thought claire from heroes could been good. Especially with the x-men films making characters not the same nationality in the comic
ZeoFan88 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:24 PM #8
> Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay

I'd be in for seeing more mutants, as long as they're putting actual effort into this & not padding out the "keepaway" game with the rights.
Arkvoodle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:26 PM #9
> ZeoFan88
Power Ranger

ZeoFan88
Power Ranger

Arkvoodle wrote: View Post

I'd be in for seeing more mutants, as long as they're putting actual effort into this & not padding out the "keepaway" game with the rights.
I think its both. But it's about time though they expanded.
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:41 PM #10
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Thinking about the X-men spin off titles I realize this is actually a great way to start a new shared universe.

Start out with the New Mutants, Karma, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Mirage, Sunspot, Cypher, Magma, Magik, and Warlock, and then each new spin off from there follows one of those characters joining a new team after their adventure.

Wolfsbane goes to X-Factor. Cannonball and Mirage go to X-Force. Cypher/Warlock/Douglock end up in Excalibur with a reintroduced Kitty Pryde.

The question is how do you get Wolverine on all of them.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:52 PM #11
> ZeoFan88
Power Ranger

ZeoFan88
Power Ranger

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Thinking about the X-men spin off titles I realize this is actually a great way to start a new shared universe.

Start out with the New Mutants, Karma, Wolfsbane, Cannonball, Mirage, Sunspot, Cypher, Magma, Magik, and Warlock, and then each new spin off from there follows one of those characters joining a new team after their adventure.

Wolfsbane goes to X-Factor. Cannonball and Mirage go to X-Force. Cypher/Warlock/Douglock end up in Excalibur with a reintroduced Kitty Pryde.

The question is how do you get Wolverine on all of them.
Lol on that last point.
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:00 PM #12
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

That idea of spinning them out into their respective 90s teams is actually really cool. I do enjoy how the New Mutants gradually got slimmed down and became X-Force, and what I've read of that team's changing line-up and dynamic in the 90s makes them sound really interesting, so even vaguely replicating that would be great to see.

I do wonder if they'll maybe be new students in the 80s (or indeed 90s), or whether they'll go into this strange "still in the present/future" stuff with Deadpool, the next Wolverine film and possibly Gambit. That's the one thing that's still confusing about all of this, though hopefully it'll be resolved once we see the films. If they're basically a team of students who wind up on an adventure, or a sent off as their own special team on some mission, that'd be fun to see. I can imagine them not getting on too well at first under either of those circumstances.
Old May 13th, 2015, 04:47 PM #13
> ⚡McAster
I engage in motion

McAster
I engage in motion

New Mutants have the technarchy, a race of living technology and energy signatures.
Slave trade of young children, if they want to go with Karma's tale.
What it's like to have a huge family of mutants while living in a small town where everyone accepts them, but visitors to that town might take offence, with the Guthire family.
They have a young woman who was raised in such a strict religious setting she believes herself to be the spawn of satan in Wolfsbane.
The have Cheyenne gods if they wish to go that route.
They have a ancient Roman City (maybe) in the middle of South America with use of Greek Gods as worship.
They have a hell dimension called Limbo.
Stories of being runaways, homeless, or living in the sewers.
Apache nature spirits and gods depending on how loose the consideration of "what a New Mutant is".
The son of Professor X in Legion

So much they can explore and work on. Be it continuing what the X-Men movies have already done and keep at it without the old cast or characters, but also the freedom to touch and enjoy the more "out there" aspects that an X-Men IP only universe can provide.

I hope they choose to expand the universe and not just have this be a "modern day First Class".
McAster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:09 PM #14
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Hmm, perhaps we can get multiple New Mutants films? I imagine they would want to start close to the X-Men, but as you noted, there are plenty of stories tied to the team, through which they could gain their own foothold only distantly tied to the X-Men. That's true of many of the X-affiliated teams, actually, although the New Mutants are perhaps the most prominent that have only one real iteration (X-Factor and X-Force both having multiple distinct eras and line-ups). To carry three or four titles and build with each one, rather than reeling off a film for every possibly team or hero, could be a strong direction for Fox to take the franchise in.

I wonder how they'd handle Rahne, since Moira is decidedly not Scottish in First Class. I suppose it's a simple name-swap at the most basic, but I'm not entirely certain how much significance is held in the Moira who knows the X-Men being Rahne's adoptive mother.

Thinking too about Titanium's comment of a new Kitty for Excalibur... I wonder how Kitty's strong relationship with the New Mutants could be recaptured for the films? Perhaps use Jubilee as a cipher (if they indeed tie into the new class introduced with Apocalypse), which would double as a nod to Jubilee being put into the junior team like Kitty briefly was, though of course Jubilee stuck with Generation X until their end.
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:15 PM #15
> ⚡McAster
I engage in motion

McAster
I engage in motion

Oh I don't expect anyone to keep their accent or really even their nationality in these movies. Wolverine is Australian, Xavier is British, Pyro is American, etc etc. It's actually a shock when someone speaks with an accent close to their comic counterparts since that somehow slipped past the creators of the films.
Sometimes it feels like X-Men media, comics and live action, hates anyone being British and must make them suffer, thank god Captain Britian is a separate IP

Nor do they even need the surrogate mother relationship with Moria when it comes to Rhane. For the purpose of using her, simply saying she was rescued and now lives at the school does the job, while they keep finding a sister in one of the other older New Mutants (Dani most likely).
McAster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:42 PM #16
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Unless I've not been paying attention, Hugh Jackman doesn't use his natural accent, does he? I mean, I'm not sure if it's Canadian (I'd say I'm reasonably good at distinguishing a Canadian accent now, for someone who's not from North America), but it's certainly not Australian. If you mean that Pryde of the X-Men cartoon pilot... yeah, I understand that was a move for the big 80s Australia fad. I'll stick to tags for this bit, not sure why it's spoilers but... mhm, we Brits don't really get the best of luck, but that goes generally in Hollywood. But I suppose no one really gets off easily in superhero media, especially in the comics.

And fair enough with Moira. While I have a fairly strong wealth of knowledge on the X-corner of the Marvel universe, it comes primarily from reading plenty of things online, rather than owning many of the comics. I couldn't think of anything specifically requiring Moira and Rahne to be connected, but then I wouldn't say I know or recall enough about Rahne to be certain. The more I think about it, the more I'm excited by the prospect of us getting to see these characters interacting on the big screen. Whether it's played out close to the comics or more off-the-wall, we'll have to wait and see. Cue Marrow or someone being on the team...
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:36 PM #17
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Josh Boone has given an update on the script.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=123978

Last edited by ranger_scout; August 13th, 2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Adding correct link
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:51 PM #18
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

That's the Wolverine-related article.

Also, while watching the show 'Humans', I couldn't stop thinking of Emily Berrington's Niska as being like Magik. If they use Illyana, she could be a great choice for the role. Cold, intelligent, ruthless, but with a heart deep down (I mean, we're talking 80s Illyana here). Plus, y'know, the blonde hair with the straight fringe. But the performance is a big part of it too.

Old August 13th, 2015, 05:34 PM #19
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

AcceLOWorst wrote: View Post

That's the Wolverine-related article.
My bad! But I fixed it.
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 05:48 PM #20
> TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

TealMystechRanger
or AcceLOWorst

Ah, nothing too revealing, but nice to see it's all coming along well!