DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Spoiler-free review of season three

Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 07:11 AM #1462
> Timeline15
Power Ranger

Timeline15
Power Ranger

Holy shit, season 3, short as it was, was incredible. Long spoilery thoughts below:

The Crimson Wastes episodes were a lot of fun, and Huntara is an entertaining character. The fact that she and Adora pegged each other as ex-Horde so quickly was pretty cool. The running gag about Brightmoon's only prison cell being the spare bedroom got a chuckle out of me too.

Hordak got SO much more development this series. The Dynamic between him and Entrapta is adorable, and the way Catra drives a wedge between them later on is all the more heart-breaking for it. Not to mention the revelations about his origin, and his own feelings of inadequacy. leave it to this show to make me feel for someone who was possibly the least nuanced character in the show up until now.

Honestly, this show's goal seems to be to emotionally break all of its characters at this point. Catra and Scorpia finally get some chance at happiness, and Catra's complex over Shadow Weaver brings it all crashing down. Hordak finally makes a friend, and Catra fools him into thinking that said friend betrayed him. EVERY time this season character almost found peace, something from their past was there to break them down again. God damn.

And then there were the last couple of episodes. The revelation that Catra is willing to let anyone and everyone die just to spite Adora is honestly making me doubt that she'll ever be redeemed at this point. It was good to see Adora finally stop letting Catra pin the blame on her though. "I didn't make you do any of this; you made your choices" was so cathartic to hear.

The Stuff with Angella was exceptional too. She was another of the more underutilised characters, so seeing her baggage with Glimmer and Mica get dealt with was great to see. Her sacrifice, while a little predictable, makes up for any irritating behaviour she exhibited in the first two seasons. I hope they can find a way to retrieve her without breaking reality, because that's a horrible fate she ended up with, even for an immortal.

Up until the last couple of scenes of episode 6 it honestly felt like this episode was written as a finale for the whole show or something. It had the "let's revisit all the best moments" thing going on. It was short, but I honestly think this was my favourite season so far.
Timeline15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 07:32 AM #1463
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

[QUOTE=Timeline15;5773355]The revelation that Catra is willing to let anyone and everyone die just to spite Adora is honestly making me doubt that she'll ever be redeemed at this point.[/QUOTE]

There's speculation that Catra is a lost princess. Maybe some degree of redemption is possible for her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRaccddimQY
turbo409uk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 01:05 PM #1464
> FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

FerrousMaelstrom
Power Ranger

I definitely enjoyed it but damn I feel that short length.

Angella really made up for lost time this season, much more likable. Catra does seem to be edging away from redemption; I know a lot of people want it but it would feel damn weird from this point. And Hordak actually got some depth, though I don't really know what to think about Horde Prime.
FerrousMaelstrom is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 04:24 PM #1465
> MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

Short season but enjoyable. A little confusing though with,,,

Mara's, the last She-Ra's appereance. She's dark skinned with brown hair in the "fake world scene". But her She-Ra transformation in Season 1 (although breif) has her with whtie skin and light blonde hair, pretty much like how Adora looks. Maybe transforming into She-Ra brightens her skin? It's kind of confusing continuity wise.
MMPR-TheGreenRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 06:49 PM #1466
> OrionPower2001
Charmed One

OrionPower2001
Charmed One

Honestly, this was probably the strongest of the three "seasons" so far.

The Crimson Waste plot was handled well, IMO. I always thought Huntara was an interesting character in the classic show, and I was pleased to see she was handled well here. I did especially like how they gave her a Horde background, which allowed her to ID Adora as a former Horde soldier. Should this show get picked up for another season, I hope this is not the last we see of her.

Learning Adora's background was something I have been waiting to see how they would handle, given how the show is keeping it's distance from MOTU. (So this would make Eternians "The First Ones"?) If the show gets a fourth season, I hope they get permission to use more of the MOTU, or they had better work on filling in some blanks. Like, just WHY is Adora on Etheria? We know baby Adora comes through the portal. But Hordak has made no secret of the fact that he could care less about her. So why was she brought through? Random chance?? (In the classic series, Hordak was aware that Adam and Adora had a "special destiny", but didn't know the details. This was why he tried to kidnap both twins)

Still trying to wrap my head around Hordak and his motivations. Not sure how I feel about it at this point. I do like the fact that Horde Prime is a "person" in this version, as opposed to the disembodied arm in a cloud of smoke he was in the classic show.

Glad the cutesy humor in past seasons was kept to a minimum this go around. This was a pretty serious storyline and any attempts at humor just seem really forced.

It will be curious to see if this ends up getting a fourth season, given that this was likely the last of the initial order of episodes (This season brings the episode count to 26, which is average for a "normal" season)
OrionPower2001 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 08:17 AM #1467
> Timeline15
Power Ranger

Timeline15
Power Ranger

OrionPower2001 wrote: View Post

It will be curious to see if this ends up getting a fourth season, given that this was likely the last of the initial order of episodes (This season brings the episode count to 26, which is average for a "normal" season)
I believe Netflix ordered 52 episodes from the get-go. Initially it was going to be 3 longer seasons, but the intended season 2 got split into 2 and 3, so the remaining episodes will likely be split into a season 4 and 5.
Timeline15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 05:22 PM #1468
> OrionPower2001
Charmed One

OrionPower2001
Charmed One

Classic He-Man and She-Ra are being rereleased on DVD in October in Complete series sets.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...howsondvd0d-20

Each set includes "The Secret of the Sword" and "A Christmas Special " along with other features.
OrionPower2001 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 05:44 PM #1469
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Classic He-Man and She-Ra are being rereleased on DVD in October in Complete series sets.

Each set includes "The Secret of the Sword" and "A Christmas Special " along with other features.
Ive got the original DVD releases of both, along with New Adventures of He-Man and He-Man 2002. All with the slip cases that form a picture of Eternia, Etheria and the Tri-Solar system.

(Note: Not an actual picture of my sets. Just the first one I found on Google.)

The slipcase for He-Man 2002 was a Best Buy exclusive, that took me quite a while to find. I lucked out and found it at a local toy show.
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 10:14 PM #1470
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

They both have the same special features, and it looks like they're new ones that weren't on the previous sets.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 03:57 PM #1471
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

The only one I never got was the Secret of the Sword standalone movie, although I might still have the VHS somewhere. I remember liking the 5 part episode better since it had more meat to the story, like explaining Orko's absence. I always did find it odd that none of the rebels ever questioned where Adam and Cringer went after He-Man got captured after the first big fight. Or did they and I'm just forgetting since I haven't watched it in a while.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2019, 11:12 AM #1472
> Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Cammy
This cage demeans us both

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

I always did find it odd that none of the rebels ever questioned where Adam and Cringer went after He-Man got captured after the first big fight. Or did they and I'm just forgetting since I haven't watched it in a while.
Their primary concern was rescuing He-man since he did single handedly take down the Horde (with help from the Twiggets too) and got captured for it. When a reel gets captured, they want to go save him/her over anything else. They were still learning at the time. and were more concerned with doing the job rather than doing it smart.
Cammy is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2019, 12:18 PM #1473
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

The only one I never got was the Secret of the Sword standalone movie,
I also didn't have that. I had it in the Best of She-Ra set that was released before the Completes series releases, but once I got the complete series, I didn't feel the need to keep it just for the movie. Now, you can only find imports on Amazon, so maybe this new release will lead to a new standalone release.

If not. there's a version on YouTube. A fan edit which adds in scenes that appeaed in the 5 part episodic version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX2wEvdWFbI

Edit: Full list of bonus features for both sets.

https://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=7696

Both DVD sets will also include He-Man & She-Ra: The Secret of the Sword and He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special, as well as several bonus features which are listed and described below.

BONUS FEATURES ON THE HE-MAN SET

Disc 16:

Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - A feature-length, deep-dive documentary exploring the origins and impact of He-Man, a character whose power stretched well beyond the iconic toy line and the TV show that defined the 1980s for a generation.

Saturday Morning Legacy of Filmation - Highlights and details behind the scenes of the wildly popular syndicated animation that spawned legendary careers, set new standards for kids' programming and showed millions of kids that they, indeed, had the power.

Hope, Honor, Heart: The Origins of She-Ra - An expanded look at the surprising origins of She-Ra, Princess of Power, a female character that broke as many boundaries as the talented women who contributed to her creation.
Early Concepts and Illustrations - Sneak back way, way behind the scenes for a look at the prototypes, pitches and possibilities that went into the design and development of Eternia's most powerful heroes.

BONUS FEATURES ON THE SHE-RA SET

Disc 12:

Power of Grayskull: The Definitive History of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - A feature-length, deep-dive documentary exploring the origins and impact of He-Man, a character whose power stretched well beyond the iconic toy line and the TV show that defined the 1980s for a generation.

Saturday Morning Legacy of Filmation - Highlights and details behind the scenes of the wildly popular syndicated animation that spawned legendary careers, set new standards for kids' programming and showed millions of kids that they, indeed, had the power.

Hope, Honor, Heart: The Origins of She-Ra - An expanded look at the surprising origins of She-Ra, Princess of Power, a female character that broke as many boundaries as the talented women who contributed to her creation.

Early Concepts and Illustrations - Sneak back way, way behind the scenes for a look at the prototypes, pitches and possibilities that went into the design and development of Eternia's most powerful heroes.

Last edited by GoldAnyRanger; August 11th, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old August 13th, 2019, 07:13 PM #1474
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

They did an Honest Trailer of the Masters of the Universe movie:

One of these days I should probably pick this movie up, flaws and all. Now that I think of it, was that teenage boy Tom Parris from Voyager?
Dragonwolf Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:57 PM #1475
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Dragonwolf Ranger wrote: View Post

They did an Honest Trailer of the Masters of the Universe movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiOMF6MIJ5E

One of these days I should probably pick this movie up, flaws and all. Now that I think of it, was that teenage boy Tom Parris from Voyager?
Yes it is
Virus is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 17th, 2019, 12:29 AM #1476
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

New mini-series from DC

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE MULTIVERSE #1
written by TIM SEELEY
art by DAN FRAGA and RICHARD FRIEND
cover by INHYUK LEE
variant cover by DAN FRAGA
The scourge of Anti-Eternia is unleashed on the Multiverse! Blazing a trail across the dimensions, heís devastating each version of Eternia and stealing its power. Now itís up to a ragtag team of surviving He-Men to recruit the one man in existence who might save them: Prince Keldor, the man who would be Skeletor! This all-new miniseries features the most iconic eras and beloved takes on the Masters of the Universe!
ON SALE 11.20.19
$3.99 US |1 OF 6 |32 PAGES
FC|DC
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 12:46 PM #1477
> Virus
Power Ranger

Virus
Power Ranger

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Lets see

I see, Comic Book, OG Series, Mike Young Series, King He-Man and New Adventures
Virus is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 08:33 PM #1478
> RockyDeSantos
Power Ranger

RockyDeSantos
Power Ranger

The plot of this sounds like Jet Li's " The One"
RockyDeSantos is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 01:38 PM #1479
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Announced at Power-Con (the official He-Man and She-Ra fan convention), Dark Horse will be releasing a book on the toys of Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power. YouTube toy reviewer and die-hard He-Man fan Pixel Dan will be involved, as he is the one who announced it.

https://twitter.com/PixelDan/status/1162968515483070465

Dark Horse has done some great Masters related books already. A character encyclopedia, a book on the art of the franchise, a collection of the mini-comics, a collection of the newspaper strip and an episode guide for both series.

Last edited by GoldAnyRanger; August 18th, 2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old August 18th, 2019, 02:39 PM #1480
> oldranger25
Power Ranger

oldranger25
Power Ranger

Also announced at Power-Con, literally an hour ago, a brand new MOTU cartoon for Netflix, made by Kevin f'n Smith that will be not a new take on the lineage of the franchise, BUT A GOD DAMNED CONTINUATION OF THE OG SERIES FROM THE 80'S!!!!!!
oldranger25 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote