Home Menu

Menu

Old August 14th, 2019, 12:07 PM #3621
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Its hard to sell to an adult market when your main source of media (the show) is only focused on pre school children and have no intentions of being anything else. I really hope hasbro considers that.
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:10 PM #3622
> TheDub
The One and Only

TheDub
The One and Only

Taichi wrote: View Post

People STILL overestimate the demand for Sentai and even more so Power Rangers. Look at Kamen Rider. It's a prime example of how niche the area is. We went from having almost every figure made to some degree to them cherry-picking figures... showing them off and never making them or putting them as exclusives. The demand just isn't there like for higher wants... i.e. Star Wars, Avengers and other profitable markets.

If Rider has trouble selling... then Sentai is going to have an even harder time.
if they had a 20 dollar figure line i would probably buy some, and i dont even watch kamen rider.

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

Its hard to sell to an adult market when your main source of media (the show) is only focused on pre school children and have no intentions of being anything else. I really hope hasbro considers that.
hasbro has a good idea of what to aim for. no doubt they have all the sales info from previous years, and tons of toy experience of their own.
TheDub is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:16 PM #3623
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

TheDub wrote: View Post

if they had a 20 dollar figure line i would probably buy some, and i dont even watch kamen rider.
Then people would complain about their quality, and collectors would turn their noses up.

Balancing the budget without making the figures obviously cheap is a challenge. The knees could used better plastic, but then then everything else might suffer.

People STILL overestimate the demand for Sentai and even more so Power Rangers. Look at Kamen Rider. It's a prime example of how niche the area is. We went from having almost every figure made to some degree to them cherry-picking figures... showing them off and never making them or putting them as exclusives.
Or that brief period when Sentai took the same approach. Akaranger and Vul Eagle were both safe releases, but the line didn't return.

Is that owing to the cost. the fact that there was no promise of teams, or general disinterest in Sentai Figuarts? It's hard to say which factor was the biggest, but Lightning has shown that people are willing to buy individual members of a team, if that's on offer.

When you present it as part of a team, it introduces new concerns. That was present before Lightning released, but it's kind of subsided.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:27 PM #3624
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

Then people would complain about their quality, and collectors would turn their noses up.

Balancing the budget without making the figures obviously cheap is a challenge. The knees could used better plastic, but then then everything else might suffer.

Or that brief period when Sentai took the same approach. Akaranger and Vul Eagle were both safe releases, but the line didn't return.

Is that owing to the cost. the fact that there was no promise of teams, or general disinterest in Sentai Figuarts? It's hard to say which factor was the biggest, but Lightning has shown that people are willing to buy individual members of a team, if that's on offer.

When you present it as part of a team, it introduces new concerns. That was present before Lightning released, but it's kind of subsided.
Its simply just too hard to sell non mmpr stuff thatís priced at sh figuarts price point.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:31 PM #3625
> ⚡Taichi
Hen... SHIN?!

32 eBay
Taichi
Hen... SHIN?!

32 eBay

I'll agree with that somewhat.

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

And with Akaranger and Vul Eagle... are the American fans going to buy that or are they just promoting for the Japanese market? And even Akaranger was a slightly different scale than the others, but it introduced the really nice details that are shared with Vul Eagle. I suppose those would have transposed to other figures later on.

The demise of Sentai Figuarts isn't cut and dry, it's simply a mixture of issues. The weird thing is... to me Figuarts went too far on the lanky scale, Legacy too much on the "superhero", and I think Hasbro has dialed in the correct proportions... that doesn't mean they are perfect, but I really do think Hasbro took what the fans were saying on both previous lines and integrated a look that works.

If they could just get the QC under control a little better.
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:32 PM #3626
> Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Mama Ru❤️💕

Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post

With all due respect but... Why are you guys wasting time and money with the Lightning Collection? I mean, for all I'm seeing in the thread there seems to be some serious QC issues in most of the figures and you guys are even going into the trouble of going to all the process of replacing figures, looking for the "most decent ones" or even repainting them yourselves.

As it's not meant to be an offense to anyone nor trying to say things like "ya wasting money 4 dis?" just trying to understand why keep up with a line that's seems to be... Defective.
Because the alternative is Hasbro packing up the line and going home, they're not going to listen to people's complaints if there aren't sales to go along with them. These things take waves to finesse. They shouldn't, but they do. The worst possible solution is to just doom the line into oblivion because that solves nothing. Personally you can do whatever you want, but in the grand scheme of things if these things don't sell you will get no improvements because there will be no figures to improve.

If a year into releases and we're still seeing such issues, not buying into the line would hold more merit, but shooting ourselves in the foot this early does none of us any good.
Xenotome is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:39 PM #3627
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post

With all due respect but... Why are you guys wasting time and money with the Lightning Collection? I mean, for all I'm seeing in the thread there seems to be some serious QC issues in most of the figures and you guys are even going into the trouble of going to all the process of replacing figures, looking for the "most decent ones" or even repainting them yourselves.

As it's not meant to be an offense to anyone nor trying to say things like "ya wasting money 4 dis?" just trying to understand why keep up with a line that's seems to be... Defective.
Because I'm generally pretty happy with the quality. They're not perfection, but they're pretty good.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:40 PM #3628
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

And with Akaranger and Vul Eagle... are the American fans going to buy that or are they just promoting for the Japanese market? And even Akaranger was a slightly different scale than the others, but it introduced the really nice details that are shared with Vul Eagle. I suppose those would have transposed to other figures later on.
2012-2013 was such a promising time for Sentai Figuarts. So many figures were previewed in 2012 (Mele ), including that updated sculpt, which was definitely going to see other use. Baseball Mask would've used this sculpt. Back then I was certain we'd see Sentai renewal figures using this body, since the main complaint of Shinkenger, Gokaiger and Go-Busters was the poorly proportioned bodies, when compared to KR. Arms too small, head too small, people wanted this fixed.

When Akibaranger Season 2 aired, it seemed like Sentai Figuarts were here to stay. Their cross promition was so slick! After that venture it kind of just...ended.

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; August 14th, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old August 14th, 2019, 01:08 PM #3629
> comic critic
Power Ranger

comic critic
Power Ranger

Going back to what Zeo Cereal asked, "What's the secret sauce for selling teams that aren't MMPR?", I don't think it's a matter of non-MMPR teams not having fanbases or interest from fans and collectors. I think it's been several factors. Folks love teams like In Space, Lost Galaxy and Time Force, and some of the recent team ups have had them back on "Power Rangers" as guest stars, such as T.J., Cassie, Leo and Wes. But the problem with their TV show appearances are they are mostly not mentioned by name, have had no character development and have had little-to-no screen time and/or dialogue compared to JDF's Tommy when they returned. "Legendary Battle" was proof of that, when we saw characters like Damon, Karone and Carter from Lightspeed Rescue stand around and nod silently. How is a new kid watching the show supposed to get excited for an eventual figure for them when their big return was standing by, nodding silently, and walking in the finale in their Ranger suit without their helmet on? If you don't give them a name, a brief explanation as to what they did, who they fought, who their friends are, etc., and give them a new fight scene to show what they can do in battle and what their weapons and powers are, why would a new fan/collector want a $20 non-name mannequin Ranger figure?

I also think that the new two-packs would be a great way of testing the waters to see what would sell and what wouldn't, and also get certain teams out of the way quick AND get rid of alternate Ranger IDs at the same time. For example, you could have, as I said before, Mighty Morphin Black Ranger with an alternate Adam head paired up with In Space Black Ranger with an alternate Carlos head from In Space's "Always a Chance" episode. That way, Adam gets a figure (or alternate figure, depending on whether or not the toy has a damaged morpher, and then fans will want an MMPR Adam figure with an intact morpher) and a new In Space gets a figure made. Or you could make MMPR Pink Ranger with an alternate Katherine head with Zeo Pink Ranger with a different Kat head/hair style like the SDCC Jason two-pack. That way, Kat gets a figure of her MMPR days that's different and taller than the Kimberly figure, so it wouldn't be buying the same MMPR Pink twice, and Zeo gets a figure made.

Then again, there was another big reason why previous non-MMPR figures didn't sell well. They were usually steroid bodied monstrosity figures with bad/inaccurate paint applications and/or body sculpts, and each female figure's chest was as big as the figure's helmet. Who wanted to buy a cheddar cheese paint job Gold Zeo Ranger figure when Legacy was out? Or a MMPR Pink Ranger with a silver belt? Or a MMPR Yellow Ranger with a bad helmet sculpt and a correct white belt, but no lightning bolts painted in the morpher? The figures didn't match looking like the rest of their teammates and the ones that did looked awful. That's a big reason why we saw MMPR Pink sit on the shelves, because Bandai wouldn't release a white belt Pink Ranger with a Power Bow. We had to wait for the then-hard-to-find, now-$10-on-Gamestop Metallic Pink Ranger that had no Build-a-Megazord part but had the right belt and the Power Bow and arrow accessories just to get the right belt and Power Weapon? Yeah, fans were REALLY happy with that decision. Sure, we saw Ninja Storm Blue shelfwarm, which surprised me since Tori is awesome, but then again, her last appearance was way back in 2007's "Once a Ranger" two-parter. New fans wouldn't know who she was and while the fans that watched the show bought her, it wasn't enough. Not making all of the Ninja Storm team to go with Red, Yellow and Blue also made fans very unhappy. Also, Saban didn't really promote any of the Disney era seasons or invite back any of the actors from seasons like Ninja Storm for "Legendary Battle" or last year's "Dimensions in Danger", which likely made the sell appeal even harder.

My main concern, though, is not whether or not the non-MMPR figures will sell well on their own. It's if Hasbro is going to take their time, do the sculpts and paint applications right, and not give us so many quality control problems with "Lightning Collection". The SDCC MMPR Red's helmet is terrible (though to be fair, only Figuarts got it right), MMPR Fighting Spirit Green's helmet and knee joints have had problems in terms of sculpting and/or paint, the Power Morphers aren't painted and look like thin stickers than belt buckles, and some fans are unhappy with the paint on the Putty's face. Hasbro's first foot forward with MMPR alone has been QC paint issues, Fighting Spirit Green released before regular MMPR Green (and most fans don't like "silver stripe" Fighting Spirit Green), MMPR Red starts off as a convention exclusive with a terrible helmet (and in some cases, incorrect limbs like two left legs or whatever the factory flaw was), and while I think the Lord Zedd figure itself is perfect, fans have had paint application errors on some and the staff is inaccurate to how it looked on the show. And this is Mighty Morphin, THE season of "Power Rangers" everyone associates with the show.

I know Hasbro says that they hear the fans on their wish lists and complaints and are working hard to give the fans what they want. But as long as they give us Mighty Morphin AND non-MMPR Ranger figures with good helmets, show-accurate paint applications and sculpting, completes Ranger teams, and actually gives us more than one female Ranger figure per wave (and hopefully more female villains and monsters, such as Rita Repulsa, Scorpina in human and monster forms, Madame Woe, Divatox, Astronema, Trakeena and Vypra), I'm sure that the wave will improve in QC as it goes along, I just wish the first figures hadn't been so rushed out and hadn't had so many problems in terms of sculpting and paint jobs right out of the gate.
comic critic is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 01:38 PM #3630
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

^^Hasbro said that they arent considering replacement rangers For the line.

... but they put out Jason as zeo gold in the same event.
Old August 14th, 2019, 01:52 PM #3631
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

^^Hasbro said that they arent considering replacement rangers For the line.

... but they put out Jason as zeo gold in the same event.
That's just not the case. At all. People have pestered Hasbro, because they "need to know" how Kat Hillard and Mike Corbett's heads will see released.

The gist of Hasbro's comments is "you won't need to buy a second $20 figure just for the head". So many people are breathing a sigh of relief, but y'all aren't reading between the lines. Here are some options:
  1. They will sell us $20 MMPR Kat, but the body is an improved sculpt.
  2. They will sell us a $40 two pack.
  3. They will sell us a retooled Kimberly alongside Zeo Pink.
  4. They sell us MMPR Pink with new weapons and a new head. See, you're paying $20 for a closed Blade Blaster! Or a second Magna Blaster!

Or, they go back on those non-committal statements, because fans showed crazy demand for MMPR Kat. With Kimberly being shortpacked, there's bound to be fans who can't get that figure. I already want a Pink re-release, and I don't have my first Pink figure.

comic critic wrote: View Post

Sure, we saw Ninja Storm Blue shelfwarm, which surprised me since Tori is awesome.
And arguably the best representation of that character.

I know, I know, she's shaped like a doll.

But the colour is spot on. The helmet is perfectly shaped. The mesh is right. The elbow and knees don't clash with the sleeves. It has that fantastic shoulder slip piece to hide the gap. So much engineering and thought went into Legacy Ninja Storm Blue. I don't get that sense with the rest of the line.

But of course, you can't display her with the Figuarts Rangers, while the Legacy males are a lost cause.

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; August 14th, 2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old August 14th, 2019, 01:53 PM #3632
> comic critic
Power Ranger

comic critic
Power Ranger

@MMPRfan09 - They aren't considering it, yes. But that doesn't mean their plans could change. If enough fans ask for it, I'm sure they'd do it eventually. Besides, maybe they wouldn't for the main line, but they could cheat and do it for the two-packs. Besides, Trini is taller than Aisha, Adam is taller than Zack, and Kat is half-a-foot taller than Kimberly, so if they did make replacement Ranger figures, they wouldn't technically be the same figure. They'd be taller new figures with alternate heads. Adam alone could have two different versions made, such as the damaged morpher version from "Always a Chance" and with the Defender Vest from "Once a Ranger". Besides, does anybody really buy that they'd NEVER make alternate MMPR figures as a way to sell more toys?
Old August 14th, 2019, 02:36 PM #3633
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

comic critic wrote: View Post

@MMPRfan09 - They aren't considering it, yes. But that doesn't mean their plans could change. If enough fans ask for it, I'm sure they'd do it eventually. Besides, maybe they wouldn't for the main line, but they could cheat and do it for the two-packs. Besides, Trini is taller than Aisha, Adam is taller than Zack, and Kat is half-a-foot taller than Kimberly, so if they did make replacement Ranger figures, they wouldn't technically be the same figure. They'd be taller new figures with alternate heads. Adam alone could have two different versions made, such as the damaged morpher version from "Always a Chance" and with the Defender Vest from "Once a Ranger". Besides, does anybody really buy that they'd NEVER make alternate MMPR figures as a way to sell more toys?
Defender Vest Adam is possible... but taller/shorter figures? Unlikely.

The standard figures all use largely the same bodies for a reason - even if they need *some* new parts because details need sculpted in, they can reuse everything else. A taller or shorter figure would need to be 100% new (and even if they later had a figure from another team that could be the same height, they wouldn't be able to share parts with *their own* teammates). It's a standard inaccuracy for the sake of economy. Would you rather the "all-new" figure went to something like Goldar or Magna Defender; or to an MMPR Black variant you would need to put side-by-side to realise?

[And that's before you consider the mix of PR face actors, PR suit actors and Sentai suit actors that kills consistent heights anyway - there's a funny picture of Dino Charge Graphite's face actor towering over his suit actor (the latter in-costume, helmet off) out there which illustrates the point nicely.]
SanityOrMadness is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 02:51 PM #3634
> comic critic
Power Ranger

comic critic
Power Ranger

Why would taller/shorter figures and alternate Ranger figures be "unlikely"? This isn't Bandai. Hasbro isn't making all of the figure molds essentially the same. Take for example the Toys R Us Exclusive Red Ranger figures later re-released with the 15th Anniversary Red Ranger figures that Bandai made in 2005 and 2006. All of the Red Ranger figures had different heads, but each one of them had the same steroid body mold, which made MMPR Red's cuffed boots and gloves look off compared to the others. Hasbro could use a "tall" female body mold and a "short" female body mold that's slightly shorter to make it show accurate and reusable. There are a lot of actresses on the show almost as tall or as tall as the male Ranger actors, like Catherine Sutherland being the same height as Austin St. John but slightly shorter than Jason David Frank, and there are petite actresses, like Amy Jo Johnson and Karan Ashley, who are half a foot or more shorter than their co-stars. Having two body molds would be a big improvement over Bandai where everyone was the same height and allow Hasbro to make more figures. Remember when Bandai made the Dragon Shield MMPR Red Ranger and he was slightly shorter than literally every other Mighty Morphin Power Ranger figure in the same Toys R Us Exclusive toy line in 2014? Even Kimberly was a little taller than Jason!

I'm not saying they would make two different female figures. But to not even have that as an option would be a huge missed opportunity. Making it look inaccurate "for the sake of the economy" seems more like an excuse as to a legitimate reason. And with all of the inaccuracies we've had to deal with during Bandai's tenure, I really hope Hasbro doesn't follow any similar mistakes with their toys from Bandai's playbook.
Old August 14th, 2019, 05:32 PM #3635
> PMK
Power Ranger

PMK
Power Ranger

Why did Hasbro sculpt that protrusion vertically along the neck? Is that based on anything?
PMK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 05:34 PM #3636
> DesignIncase
Power Ranger

DesignIncase
Power Ranger

It's not that huge. Now it would kill them to make shorter frames here and there to mix it up.
DesignIncase is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 06:15 PM #3637
> ⚡Taichi
Hen... SHIN?!

32 eBay
Taichi
Hen... SHIN?!

32 eBay

Found Red and Gold Beast Morphers this evening! Didnít want to get the photo stuff out, but I took a couple quick shots.

And I just want to say. Iíve been wanting Beet Buster for YEARS... and this figure does NOT disappoint. Iím ecstatic about this figure. I think so far heís my favorite of the Lightning Collection. Shadow and Gold Zeo are great, but man, BM Gold is just fantastic.
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 06:23 PM #3638
> Larry Koopa
Olive Ranger

Larry Koopa
Olive Ranger

I want Defender Vest Adam more than anything. By some weird coincidence, three of my top ten wants are Mammoth Ranger derivatives.
Larry Koopa is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:40 PM #3639
> jtmiley
Just call me Smiley

jtmiley
Just call me Smiley

I challenge anyone to find an American mass market action figure line for 19.99 that doesn't have issues. Like I get that the line isn't perfect, but it's so far above and beyond anything Bandai ever produced.
jtmiley is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 08:59 PM #3640
> DesignIncase
Power Ranger

DesignIncase
Power Ranger

There's a reason there are toys that start at $50 and go higher and higher. You are hopefully paying for the QC and more features/better materials.

Remember that you aren't really giving Hasbro $20 if you buy this at a store. So it's even less of a $20 figure to Hasbro as they don't see that was Target buys a box. Probably why they are pushing Plus.
DesignIncase is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
super epic legacy legends