Home Menu

Menu

Old August 9th, 2019, 03:43 AM #41
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Where was Shatner on Holey Moley? I blinked and missed it.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 04:04 AM #42
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon wrote: View Post

Where was Shatner on Holey Moley? I blinked and missed it.
He did guest commentary during one hole.
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 11:20 AM #43
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

GoldAnyRanger wrote: View Post

He did guest commentary during one hole.
If we had to put up with Anthony Anderson for half an episode, we deserved more Shatner.
Old August 12th, 2019, 01:00 AM #44
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

How did they not know going in that Weird Al was familiar with the writer of Like A Virgin?

No way they booked contestants and panelists obliviously, they totally scheduled them for the same episode on purpose so they could shake up the formula.
Old August 12th, 2019, 05:09 PM #45
> ViRGE
Christmas Cartel Enforcer

ViRGE

What a victory on Press Your Luck, one spin to earn $10,000 and another spin that got passed to an instant Whammy and a trip to the bonus round!
There's a reason it's billed as TV's most competitive game. It's little more than a fancier version of spinning a wheel, but being able to pass spins and force people to take them dramatically alters the gameplay. Winning is just as much about you doing well as it is the opponent doing poorly.
ViRGE is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 03:32 PM #46
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

Eh, PYL was more interesting back in the day, when someone who gets a Whammy and has one spin left could pass it to the leader with the added promise of "[insert second place contestant here] will be your new best friend." I don't know how often that happened - I know triple-0 at the end has happened a couple of times, with everyone coming back for a rematch the next show - but it had to happen more than once in the classic run. I do like the revival, but it does seem a little forced, in terms of how it executes things, like that Whammy-out at the very end. It seemed staged, because - IIRC - the guy didn't even care where he stopped, and it just happened to be on a losing square. Also, the bonus round got a "what-if" scenario, which I don't think had happened prior to this contestant, and - of course - the final spin of the phantom bonus round was a Whammy, so she's "glad she didn't go on." IDK, maybe it was just as staged-appearing back in the old days and I'm looking at it through Nostalgia Goggles, but the old one had a certain feel that this new one hasn't quite caught yet. I know it's only been a handful of episodes and they can fine-tune things for next year if it returns, but still, it really doesn't feel natural.

Also, this new show needs to bring Karen Martin back, if they can...

As for the Thursday shows, they weren't shown up here last week, because we had the Browns/Redskins preseason opener locally broadcast instead. Whether channel 5 ran the shows later on or not, I don't know, but I know they weren't shown in their normal timeslot.
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:04 PM #47
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Press Your Luck is listed as a repeat tomorrow night, on my DirecTV guide. I tried to check ABC"s schedule on their website, but clicking on tomorrow gave me last Sunday's schedule for most of the day, so there's some sort of glitch.
GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 03:29 AM #48
> ViRGE

ViRGE

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

Eh, PYL was more interesting back in the day, when someone who gets a Whammy and has one spin left could pass it to the leader with the added promise of "[insert second place contestant here] will be your new best friend." I don't know how often that happened - I know triple-0 at the end has happened a couple of times, with everyone coming back for a rematch the next show - but it had to happen more than once in the classic run.
I'm not sure I follow. Someone could do exactly the same thing on the new version; but it's a very unlikely scenario, and there have only been 8 episodes.

I do like the revival, but it does seem a little forced, in terms of how it executes things, like that Whammy-out at the very end. It seemed staged, because - IIRC - the guy didn't even care where he stopped, and it just happened to be on a losing square. Also, the bonus round got a "what-if" scenario, which I don't think had happened prior to this contestant, and - of course - the final spin of the phantom bonus round was a Whammy, so she's "glad she didn't go on."
That was the first time they had done a "what-if", and judging from the run time of the episode, it was necessary. She was calling it quits after only a couple of rounds, so they needed to do something to pad out the show.

IDK, maybe it was just as staged-appearing back in the old days and I'm looking at it through Nostalgia Goggles, but the old one had a certain feel that this new one hasn't quite caught yet. I know it's only been a handful of episodes and they can fine-tune things for next year if it returns, but still, it really doesn't feel natural.
While editing makes all the difference in the world in terms of how something is perceived, you can't really stage the spins. Doing anything that affects the odds of the game is outright illegal and would get the show's producer jailed.
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:32 AM #49
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

MegaBlue wrote: View Post

As for the Thursday shows, they weren't shown up here last week, because we had the Browns/Redskins preseason opener locally broadcast instead. Whether channel 5 ran the shows later on or not, I don't know, but I know they weren't shown in their normal timeslot.
We had a Chargers game here last week, Holey Moley and Family Food Fight were shifted to 1AM.

GoldAnyRanger wrote: View Post

Press Your Luck is listed as a repeat tomorrow night, on my DirecTV guide. I tried to check ABC"s schedule on their website, but clicking on tomorrow gave me last Sunday's schedule for most of the day, so there's some sort of glitch.
Yeah, it's the first official Wednesday premiere episode again.
Old August 15th, 2019, 10:35 AM #50
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

What incredible dedication to the theme on Match Game last night. Set design, wardrobe, sound effects, even special card backs. That was the kind of effort I would put into things, so to finally see commitment to excellence in a television gimmick was uplifting.

And I cracked up that "doctor" is an inevitability to appear on an actor's filmography, as they somehow managed to find one Joel McHale played.
Old August 15th, 2019, 04:43 PM #51
> ViRGE

ViRGE

Yeah, it's the first official Wednesday premiere episode again.
Press Your Luck is done. It turns out only 8 episodes were filmed. There are no further reruns scheduled.
Old August 15th, 2019, 05:15 PM #52
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

ViRGE wrote: View Post

Press Your Luck is done. It turns out only 8 episodes were filmed. There are no further reruns scheduled.
Wow, that was quick.
Old August 15th, 2019, 07:07 PM #53
> ViRGE

ViRGE

Wow, that was quick.
Right? I was really surprised to find out that they only filmed 8 episodes to cover what's essentially a 12 week programming block. It's a game show; why would you only produce 8 episodes?

Last edited by ViRGE; August 16th, 2019 at 03:04 AM.
Old August 15th, 2019, 10:10 PM #54
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

ViRGE wrote: View Post

I was really surprised to find out that they only filmed 8 episodes to film what's essentially a 12 week programming block.
Well, it's not the weirdest thing, since Family Food Fight officially ended tonight. But for Press Your Luck to be so much easier a presentation to produce, and up against two other game shows that that will apparently continue for the rest of the month, it's a bit strange. Unless Elizabeth Banks just couldn't spare any more time for filming because she's a big time director and producer now or something?

And speaking of Family Food Fight, SO glad the Maniyas won, they should have been up against the Livanos in that final instead of the Nichols stumbling their way in there. But have they officially been renewed for a second season? Because they're already showing casting notices and calling them the first champions.
Old August 18th, 2019, 11:15 PM #55
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

It was so fitting that Mayim Bialik got the ONLY points on To Tell The Truth tonight. She was the only person who wasn't constantly telling jokes.

Obviously you're there to laugh, but spending precious time asking every contestant if they're single or how they like their coffee, you're not even respecting the spirit of the game anymore.