Home Menu

Menu

Old August 4th, 2019, 01:20 PM #21
> Alison
Official PMC Staff

Alison
Official PMC Staff

PopCultureLover06 wrote: View Post

I spoke to a PMC staff member, this sounds like it could be a factor as to why that is, he said its because PMC is fan-friendly, other cons tell you what to do before meeting a guest, PMC doesn't, PMC only takes action if a guest reports they are being bothered, harassed or uncomfortable.

So what it sounds like, at PMC, fans are allowed to socialize, interact with the PR actors/actresses for more minutes, overall, just longer than if the fan was to meet them at a regular con, other type of convention. As in, at other cons, once that fan has finished getting their autograph/pic, they are expected to leave the booth, table right away, but that's not the case with PMC, am I right?
It really depends on the con and the crowd. I've worked with PR actors at multiple cons in different states since 2012 and it's always different. Also, depends on the actors themselves. I'm usually with Paulie/Narvy and they will always spend time chatting with people as long as there aren't too many waiting. Some actors/agents/managers will only really let you talk to them in any meaningful way if you're spending money. Course, if you're being weird/creepy, yeah you're going to get moved on fairly quickly, regardless.
Alison is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2019, 02:48 PM #22
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Letís also try to turn this talk to hotels: the block opens up in a couple weeks. I donít know if weíre going to have to prepay or what, but I know this: I have no intention of staying several blocks away in an Airbnb or a discount motel just because I didnít have my shit together.
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 11:38 AM #23
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

Alison wrote: View Post

It really depends on the con and the crowd. I've worked with PR actors at multiple cons in different states since 2012 and it's always different. Also, depends on the actors themselves. I'm usually with Paulie/Narvy and they will always spend time chatting with people as long as there aren't too many waiting. Some actors/agents/managers will only really let you talk to them in any meaningful way if you're spending money. Course, if you're being weird/creepy, yeah you're going to get moved on fairly quickly, regardless.
well, there must be other factors, as to why, a lot of PR fans, would rather meet PR actors/actresses at PMC more so than at any other con, show, event, even when that certain PR actor/actress, will attend a local con, show, event, in those fans backyards or nearby them, fans would rather travel to the other side of the country or travel, commute long distance to meet them at PMC.
PopCultureLover06 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 11:44 AM #24
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

well, there must be other factors, as to why, a lot of PR fans, would rather meet PR actors/actresses at PMC more so than at any other con, show, event, even when that certain PR actor/actress, will attend a local con, show, event, in those fans backyards or nearby them, fans would rather travel to the other side of the country or travel, commute long distance to meet them at PMC.
Money.

In the long run, spending thousands to meet dozens of your favorite stars beats spending potentially hundreds to meet one or two if you're lucky.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 05:38 AM #25
> ⚡OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay
OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay

RitoRevolto wrote: View Post

Letís also try to turn this talk to hotels: the block opens up in a couple weeks. I donít know if weíre going to have to prepay or what, but I know this: I have no intention of staying several blocks away in an Airbnb or a discount motel just because I didnít have my shit together.
I always enjoyed the Sheraton. It was a little pricey, sure, but it was right there in the thick of things for the convention. If I had any complaints on the hotel, it was simply that both parking and breakfast isn't free (I'll admit, when I hotel hunt, the two factors I always look for are a pool and a free breakfast).

Of course there are,. Go back a page and read them. A number of them were mentioned and discussed.
OmegaRangerRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 08:58 AM #26
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

OmegaRangerRed wrote: View Post

I always enjoyed the Sheraton. It was a little pricey, sure, but it was right there in the thick of things for the convention. If I had any complaints on the hotel, it was simply that both parking and breakfast isn't free (I'll admit, when I hotel hunt, the two factors I always look for are a pool and a free breakfast).
I never have time to use the pool and I seldom bring my trunks when I travel anyway, unless I'm specifically going to the beach. And in terms of exercise, if I'm doing a con, I'm getting those steps in. Breakfast, though, that's something nice to have. The hotel I stay at at Otakon had breakfast every day, and I'm talking omelettes and stuff, they weren't messing around. But really, all things being equal, if the hotel that has breakfast costs $20 more, I'll take the cheaper hotel.

FYI Hyatt Place apparently has breakfast for members and an outdoor pool, but there hasn't been a con block there in the past and I can't speak to what their rates will be for Labor Day weekend next year.
Old August 6th, 2019, 10:34 AM #27
> Alison
Official PMC Staff

Alison
Official PMC Staff

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon wrote: View Post

Money.

In the long run, spending thousands to meet dozens of your favorite stars beats spending potentially hundreds to meet one or two if you're lucky.
Bingo! Depending on where you live, some people have lots of cons nearby with lots of different PR actors they can see over time. Other people don't, so it's easier for them to save and do one big trip where they can probably meet most of the people they want to.
Old August 9th, 2019, 01:15 AM #28
> Cyrax9
VIP Rider

Cyrax9
VIP Rider

I'll flat out say that the only thing I really liked about Anaheim over Pasadena was the closeness to Disney. I've loved going to Pasadena for all the prior PMCs I attended.
If I'm being brutally honest, this was the only thing I really liked about Anaheim as well. My girlfriend liked that we could get away without renting a car since everything we were doing was so close together, but I found that we wound up spending enough on cab fare anyway to almost justify the cost of a car even in Anaheim. The real question for us will be if we do Disney again or not, and if we do, whether we just check out of one hotel and into another, which is always an option.

Another factor though that I didn't mention, but has been lingering on my mind, is my wife's work. Currently she's a daycare educator, with really no benefits...so whatever days she takes off is simply no-pay days. She's trying to get into an elementary school as a teachers aide, and there's no way she'll be able to say "by the way, on the 2nd or 3rd week of the school year I'll be out of the state on vacation."
This would definitely be a reason not to go, assuming that your wife gets the job. (I certainly hope that she does as I've never had a paid vacation day in my life. They were supposedly supposed to be paid this year, but thanks to a budget crunch and furloughs, my vacation was once again unpaid.) I also keep forgetting that most of the country starts classes in August rather than September, which would definitely be an issue in the situation that you're describing. Where I am, KĖ12 classes typically start the week after labor day weekend, hence why this always slips my mind even though most colleges follow the schedule other regions follow for when classes resume. (Granted, there are at least a few colleges in this region now that are starting in September rather than August now, but that's a fairly recent development.) One option that might be worth considering in your situation is trip insurance, that way if you paid for the convention but couldn't attend, you still wouldn't be out a huge chunk of money. I always get trip insurance for PMC, not because I ever think I wouldn't attend, but because in the unlikely event that something were to prevent me from attending unexpectedly, I wouldn't be out a small fortune as a result of an unexpected occurrance.

RitoRevolto wrote: View Post

I'm about to check the website again, but I really hope they've announced the convention hotel in addition to the three that they'll be offering rooms at. I'm fine with prepaying, I just want to know which hotel is going to hold the breakfast and the parties so I can plan accordingly and lock down my schedule for the trip with my girlfriend. We'd probably fly out on Wednesday, spend Thursday-Sunday doing convention activities, and then it's a matter of do we just take Monday to do one thing for her and fly back Tuesday, or do we take Monday to do one thing for her, spend Tuesday either visiting the Space Shuttle if it's in the permanent structure they have planned for it by 2020, or visiting Disney if the Shuttle isn't in the permanent structure that was proposed for it before flying back on Wednesday. If we do Wednesday to Wednesday, I need to know in advance so I can try and arrange my work hours accordingly, if we do Wednesday to Tuesday, it's less of an issue. (Of course, this assumes that I'm still at my current job next year, and if I have my way, I definitely won't be.) Either way, I need to know where we'd be staying so I can at least book for the duration of the convention.
Cyrax9 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 04:07 AM #29
> ⚡OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay
OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

If I'm being brutally honest, this was the only thing I really liked about Anaheim as well. My girlfriend liked that we could get away without renting a car since everything we were doing was so close together, but I found that we wound up spending enough on cab fare anyway to almost justify the cost of a car even in Anaheim. The real question for us will be if we do Disney again or not, and if we do, whether we just check out of one hotel and into another, which is always an option.
For me, a car is always a given. That is just a personality trait of mine though, due more to where I grew up and live. The closest anything is 5 miles away through corn fields...wanna get to a Wal-Mart? That's a 20 minute drive. The concept of being without transportation and relying on someone to get me where I need to be doesn't work. Even if I have to pay for parking to let the car sit the majority of the time, I like having a car.
OmegaRangerRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 02:23 PM #30
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

I'm about to check the website again, but I really hope they've announced the convention hotel in addition to the three that they'll be offering rooms at. I'm fine with prepaying, I just want to know which hotel is going to hold the breakfast and the parties so I can plan accordingly and lock down my schedule for the trip with my girlfriend. We'd probably fly out on Wednesday, spend Thursday-Sunday doing convention activities, and then it's a matter of do we just take Monday to do one thing for her and fly back Tuesday, or do we take Monday to do one thing for her, spend Tuesday either visiting the Space Shuttle if it's in the permanent structure they have planned for it by 2020, or visiting Disney if the Shuttle isn't in the permanent structure that was proposed for it before flying back on Wednesday. If we do Wednesday to Wednesday, I need to know in advance so I can try and arrange my work hours accordingly, if we do Wednesday to Tuesday, it's less of an issue. (Of course, this assumes that I'm still at my current job next year, and if I have my way, I definitely won't be.) Either way, I need to know where we'd be staying so I can at least book for the duration of the convention.
The hotel page says they'll have blocks at the Sheraton, Hilton and Hyatt Place.
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:40 AM #31
> Forte
< O >

Forte
< O >

I'm going to Morphicon for the first time with this one. I'm excited but also scared because I've never been, I'm going alone, and my anxiety pretty much guarantees I won't like meet or socialize with anyone and that's really sad. I guess I'll just do my best.

I'm excited to be back in California though even for just a weekend.
Forte is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:00 AM #32
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Forte wrote: View Post

I'm going alone, and my anxiety pretty much guarantees I won't like meet or socialize with anyone and that's really sad.
Power Rangers fans are very chill in person, a lot of them even have the same anxiety issues.

And Pasadena is by far one of California's loveliest cities.
Old August 14th, 2019, 09:04 AM #33
> Forte
< O >

Forte
< O >

Power Rangers fans are very chill in person, a lot of them even have the same anxiety issues.

And Pasadena is by far one of California's loveliest cities.
Hopefully I'll be on anxiety meds again by that point - that's one of my goals.

I'm super excited to be in the LA area again too. it's one of my favorite places in the country to visit so I'm hoping it will be a great time all around.
Old August 14th, 2019, 10:12 AM #34
> BatRX
Power Ranger

BatRX
Power Ranger

Edit: Removed.

Last edited by TuxedoK; August 14th, 2019 at 05:44 PM.
BatRX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2019, 12:30 PM #35
> Forte
< O >

Forte
< O >

well, thankfully I worked years of retail and I've learned how to just walk away from assholes. I'm just hoping for a good time. I'm sure it'll be better than my brain is already convincing me it is, lol. Hopefully I'll meet a bunch of fun people.
Old August 15th, 2019, 07:11 PM #36
> Alison
Official PMC Staff

Alison
Official PMC Staff

Forte wrote: View Post

well, thankfully I worked years of retail and I've learned how to just walk away from assholes. I'm just hoping for a good time. I'm sure it'll be better than my brain is already convincing me it is, lol. Hopefully I'll meet a bunch of fun people.
The majority are decent people looking to have a good time. I've only ever had a couple of icky experiences with creepers and unwanted touching. Have not tried to cosplay since, but I would definitely be back if it works out. Life and such has kept me away from the last few PMCs.
Old August 15th, 2019, 11:42 PM #37
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

TheTerrorToad87 wrote: View Post

I sadly don't think I will be attending next year. I feel like after attending the last three there just isn't much more that PMC could offer me.
I believe I also remember you saying, that you have met all you have wanted to meet at PMC so far except for 1 ranger, and you don't see her ever going to PMC since she has avoided it this whole time, won't say her name, because I feel its best to keep it civil, to just leave it at that, and i'm sure we all know who that is already. Its possible I might skip it next year as well, unless they get a first-time guest from In Space, Lost Galaxy.
Old August 16th, 2019, 12:08 AM #38
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

won't say her name, because I feel its best to keep it civil, to just leave it at that, and i'm sure we all know who that is already.
Then that means you just brought her up again.

We all understand by now that you want Amy Jo at Morphicon. You don't have to keep repeating yourself.
Old August 16th, 2019, 12:43 AM #39
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

Then that means you just brought her up again.

We all understand by now that you want Amy Jo at Morphicon. You don't have to keep repeating yourself.
looks like I screwed up again, and I don't meant that with sarcasm, I was trying to say it in a way in which there would be no drama this time, to keep it civil, anyway, lets not discuss it.
Old August 16th, 2019, 08:01 AM #40
> ⚡TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay
TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay

looks like I screwed up again, and I don't meant that with sarcasm, I was trying to say it in a way in which there would be no drama this time, to keep it civil, anyway, lets not discuss it.
There won't be any drama if you don't start it.
That's why on the first post I said

Please keep in mind to keep this thread on topic of the con and leave con/actor drama out of it.
TuxedoK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
power morphicon 2020