Menu

Old August 9th, 2019, 02:34 PM #1
> RainbowRanger
Power Ranger

RainbowRanger
Power Ranger

A bit of morpher history...

Hello everyone,

I guess most of you are sick and tired of talking about MMPR/ZYU but...

I'm trying to piece together the history of the original power morpher.

From my understanding, the original MMPR season 1 morphers used in the show were the BOJ Dino Buckler toys, with the bolts removed and "power rangers" stickers replacing the Kyoryusentai Zyuranger ones.

Subsequently, the Dino Buckler toy was then converted to the Power Morpher version for the BOA toy market, with "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" stickers, (placed upside down) black bolts and coins in a lighter shade of gold.

Now i'm wondering what the original Zyu screen used morphers were? I've taken a look at numerous screens caps from the show and the prop morphers look VERY similar to the BOJ toys (aside from the coins that were obviously different).

So I guess BOJ did a really outstanding job recreating the screen used bucklers in their toy version? Or did BOJ made the toy bucklers in advance so that's what they used in the show as well?

Because come to think about it, it seems that the toy morphers from all seasons are pretty darn accurate to their prop counterpart so maybe they are one and the same?

I know the coins are different (no ridges, no tabs, slightly different design and probably held on with sticky tape during the first morph sequence).

I was thinking that maybe someone here could enlighten me...

Thanks!
RainbowRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 07:23 PM #2
> MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

RainbowRanger wrote: View Post

From my understanding, the original MMPR season 1 morphers used in the show were the BOJ Dino Buckler toys, with the bolts removed and "power rangers" stickers replacing the Kyoryusentai Zyuranger ones.
They wouldn;t have to remove the bolts because they came on a sticker sheet with the Dino Bucklers. They likely just got a box of unopened ones from Bandai and didn't bother putting the stickers on. You can see in first episode, when Jason takes the morpher from his belt, there is a gold sticker on the back. That was something that came pre-applied to the toys, but they never removed it.

RainbowRanger wrote: View Post

Now i'm wondering what the original Zyu screen used morphers were? I've taken a look at numerous screens caps from the show and the prop morphers look VERY similar to the BOJ toys (aside from the coins that were obviously different).
The bucklers in Zyuranger were the toys too. Sentai will typically use the toys as well for the henshin devices. Slight mods and paint jobs here and there, but it's usually the toy. They'll have lighter versions made of foam for action scenes, but "glamore shots" will use the toy.
MMPR-TheGreenRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 07:35 PM #3
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

MMPR-TheGreenRanger wrote: View Post

The bucklers in Zyuranger were the toys too. Sentai will typically use the toys as well for the henshin devices. Slight mods and paint jobs here and there, but it's usually the toy. They'll have lighter versions made of foam for action scenes, but "glamore shots" will use the toy.
Depends on shots all human shots will use toys usually. When in suits though they have stunt versions and slightly enlarged versions for gloved hands.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2019, 09:01 PM #4
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

MMPR-TheGreenRanger wrote: View Post

You can see in first episode, when Jason takes the morpher from his belt, there is a gold sticker on the back. That was something that came pre-applied to the toys, but they never removed it.
It was All Stickered Up.

The Morpher, not the episode.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 10th, 2019, 04:26 AM #5
> RainbowRanger
Power Ranger

RainbowRanger
Power Ranger

Thanks for your insight, that makes perfect sense! I seem to remember the morphers from Zeo, Turbo and In Space to be identical as well... And to expect a toy company (and not a prop replica company) to make 100% accurate replicas could only mean it was the same object to begin with.

I forgot to mention that yes, I was talking about the hero morphers (opening and closing with separate coins). It is indeed clear that the stunt morphers were resin or foam casts as is usual in movies and TV shows.

It also appears that they used the BOJ belt holsters, which are now quite rare since they were only sold with the Dino Buckler and not the BOA Power Morpher set.

As for the original Zyuranger coins, is it correct that the vacuum chromed plastic gold coins with tabs were never used in Zyuranger despite being included with the Dino Buckler toy?

It seems to me that the coins they used in the original Zyu morphing sequence were the metal ones from the "medal set", thus making the regular plastic coins only accurate to MMPR ?

Oh and also it seems to me that the power morphers had very few actual uses... Because aside from when they are obviously needed for plot points (like in Green with Evil during Jason's captivity), the actors simply reach behind their backs and they the scene cuts to the filler morphing sequence. So I guess 99% of the time there's nothing attached to their belts...

Last edited by RainbowRanger; August 10th, 2019 at 04:26 AM.
RainbowRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2019, 04:09 PM #6
> mateo360
Morphin back into action

eBay
mateo360
Morphin back into action

eBay

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

It was All Stickered Up.

The Morpher, not the episode.
https://imgur.com/BopsjvI

https://imgur.com/NywPYiO

https://imgur.com/zxAvDho

I don't know, looks pretty under stickered to me.

EDIT: for some reason embeding the images isn't working
mateo360 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote