Old August 20th, 2019, 11:04 AM #1081
> Autobot032
VIP Rider

eBay
Autobot032
VIP Rider

eBay

Rycor wrote: View Post

I doubt it's deliberate, just a distribution problem. Here in England, the two major toy chains that are actually stocking the zords have had all 5 since the beginning. I can't imagine Hasbro wanted to steer people towards the Amazon set instead of what should have been the 'original' releases. What would have been the point of selling to physical retailers, of selling them separately in the first place? Also buying them separately costs $20 more, and I can't imagine Hasbro would say no to more money.
Here, in the States, Walmart has an embargo. They get first dibs because they're technically the largest toy retailer in the world simply by the sheer number of stores around the world and their looming presence.

They're tired of competing with online stores as well as other B&M retailers, so they have Hasbro get them served first. That's why figures that are supposed to be in Summer or Fall end up being seen in April or May. Target and Meijer end up releasing them soon after to keep up. This is a good bit of the reason why online retailers such as BBTS don't receive their stock until weeks after retail sightings. They used to be first in line, now they're hobbled by this.

This is part of the reason why Asia tends to get items later than the US does, as of late. There's a reviewer by the name of Kevin Liu on YouTube, he works with Hasbro Asia's Taiwan division to some extent and he's had to pull video reviews of figures a time or two because he wasn't supposed to have them in hand, yet. It's why Asia-based eBay sellers aren't getting "early samples" anymore.

As for the Ultrazord, here in the States, the individual Zords are actually cheaper than the box set from Amazon. MSRP here is $29.99 per Zord, for a grand total of $149.95 compared to $159.99 for the box set.

It's a mess. It's the main reason smaller stores are having trouble competing and Walmart doesn't need a leg up, ever, really.
Autobot032 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 11:58 AM #1082
> Sprocket
Power Ranger

Sprocket
Power Ranger

The whole situation is even more hilarious because several parts of the US (mine included) have Walmarts that are so poor at stocking, we never even see 90% of the toys Hasbro distributes there, and this has been going on for me for 20 years now.

It's why I *dread* hearing the words "Walmart exclusive" If you're going to be a strong-arming monopoly, at least get the damn product to consumers.
Sprocket is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 20th, 2019, 02:22 PM #1083
> Rycor
Power Ranger

Rycor
Power Ranger

Autobot032 wrote: View Post

Here, in the States, Walmart has an embargo. They get first dibs because they're technically the largest toy retailer in the world simply by the sheer number of stores around the world and their looming presence.

They're tired of competing with online stores as well as other B&M retailers, so they have Hasbro get them served first. That's why figures that are supposed to be in Summer or Fall end up being seen in April or May. Target and Meijer end up releasing them soon after to keep up. This is a good bit of the reason why online retailers such as BBTS don't receive their stock until weeks after retail sightings. They used to be first in line, now they're hobbled by this.

This is part of the reason why Asia tends to get items later than the US does, as of late. There's a reviewer by the name of Kevin Liu on YouTube, he works with Hasbro Asia's Taiwan division to some extent and he's had to pull video reviews of figures a time or two because he wasn't supposed to have them in hand, yet. It's why Asia-based eBay sellers aren't getting "early samples" anymore.

As for the Ultrazord, here in the States, the individual Zords are actually cheaper than the box set from Amazon. MSRP here is $29.99 per Zord, for a grand total of $149.95 compared to $159.99 for the box set.

It's a mess. It's the main reason smaller stores are having trouble competing and Walmart doesn't need a leg up, ever, really.
Interesting about the Hasbro Asia stuff! And my mistake on price, for some reason I was adding up $30 x 6 instead of 5...
Rycor is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 02:36 PM #1084
> Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Zeo Cereal
Off the Grid

Sprocket wrote: View Post

The whole situation is even more hilarious because several parts of the US (mine included) have Walmarts that are so poor at stocking, we never even see 90% of the toys Hasbro distributes there, and this has been going on for me for 20 years now.

It's why I *dread* hearing the words "Walmart exclusive" If you're going to be a strong-arming monopoly, at least get the damn product to consumers.
Same shit in Canada. Walmart orders the initial assortment. Even if it sells through, they rarely restock those products. They just dump PR in easter pop displays, because they know those initial units will move.

Walmart doesn't have to care about PR. They aren't a Gamestop, they don't depend on collectors. PR is a valuable brand, but it's a more valuable relationship for their stores.

Consider this: Many of us go into Walmart stores looking for PR toys. Toy shopping parents look to Walmart. Even if PR is absent, they got our asses in the store.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 02:36 PM #1085
> TFDUDE
Not an upsidedown blaster

TFDUDE
Not an upsidedown blaster

Nabbed Racer on a Meijer run last night (they had the others, but I only had enough saved for one) and I gotta say, pretty good. The cheetah head tends to fall off the chest a bit and the sword's kinda loose in cheetah mode, but otherwise, well done Hasbro.

I'm real conflicted on the extra articulation tbh (the legs specifically). I love having a DX sized posable zord, but I'm worried about the stability once I get the other 4. It probably would've worked better on a more traditional mecha (KishiryuOh is gonna be awesome when/if that season comes state-side), but I'm glad they put it in regardless.
TFDUDE is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 08:41 PM #1086
> Autobot032
VIP Rider

eBay
Autobot032
VIP Rider

eBay

Sprocket wrote: View Post

Crazy thing is, since POTP, I've found almost ALL Transformers at B&M retail. Whether it was Target or Walmart (mainly Walmart), I was able to find most of it on their shelves. I'm just as stunned as you are. I resort to online as a last resort, basically. Sometimes Amazon or BBTS (SS-44 Leader Class Optimus) will beat everyone else to the punch, but generally, it's been Walmart as of late.

On the plus side, Brickseek still works with Walmart, with full unfettered access.

I'm hoping the same will happen with PR once Amazon gets their box set out. PR transforming Zords are in Walmart's system, but they're not on this current planogram, so that means next reset for the Christmas season.

Rycor wrote: View Post

Interesting about the Hasbro Asia stuff! And my mistake on price, for some reason I was adding up $30 x 6 instead of 5...
No problem, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page, pricewise.
Yeah, it's a convoluted mess. Between the tariffs (not getting political, people!), the factories stealing/"leaking"/KOing the official molds, they've had to move most of their production to Vietnam and India. They still produce inside China, but the percentage has dropped. A lot of figures, especially CHUG, Marvel Legends, and Masterpiece have Vietnam product codes.

TFDUDE wrote: View Post

Nabbed Racer on a Meijer run last night (they had the others, but I only had enough saved for one) and I gotta say, pretty good. The cheetah head tends to fall off the chest a bit and the sword's kinda loose in cheetah mode, but otherwise, well done Hasbro.

I'm real conflicted on the extra articulation tbh (the legs specifically). I love having a DX sized posable zord, but I'm worried about the stability once I get the other 4. It probably would've worked better on a more traditional mecha (KishiryuOh is gonna be awesome when/if that season comes state-side), but I'm glad they put it in regardless.
See, that's another baffling thing... I spoke to a guy who works for Meijer and he said the stores that have released them have jumped the gun and put them out early. They're not supposed to. (I don't blame 'em, though.) So, it makes it much harder for people to find these in a reasonable manner, also doesn't help that most Meijer stores don't even have them show up in the system. I've been to two in my area and none of them have a space for them, let alone a tag. Can't get the Meijer number to even have someone check. I'd love to avoid paying Amazon $10.00 extra. =\
Autobot032 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 06:39 AM #1087
> Platinumranger22
Power Ranger

Platinumranger22
Power Ranger

i see walmart finally had a full restock. nothing too new but i did see one gold ranger out of all the 6in figure. still on the hunt for silver.
Platinumranger22 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 07:12 AM #1088
> The Real Torhu
Smug Life yo!

The Real Torhu
Smug Life yo!

Autobot032 wrote: View Post

I wonder if that was a remnant of Hasbro originally planning to sell the triple-changers for more than the "standard" Zords.
The Real Torhu is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote