Home Menu

Menu

Old September 10th, 2018, 04:04 PM #221
> GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

GokaiGold
Frozen Passion

They sort of showed Jayden's father dying in Samurai.
GokaiGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 07:49 PM #222
> Windgrail
Legacy Warnut

Windgrail
Legacy Warnut

We don't need dark and gritty- we just need something fun, engaging & adventurous with fleshed out characters whose actions tell the story, and where the audience gets emotionally engaged at the struggles or fun the character has. That, and every character needs to wear toys available at a store near you.

Preston: "Windgrail said we should have characters whose actions tell the story!"
Windgrail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 08:14 PM #223
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Power Rangers and actual human emotions? Don't be daft! PR's audience is ... y'know, I don't even know, but we have to protect them from any strong emotional response at all.

I just want the writers to look at a calendar and realise that it's not 1993 anymore. That's it. That's my only wish.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 08:20 PM #224
> OhStarryNight
Power Ranger

OhStarryNight
Power Ranger

Peter wrote: View Post

Power Rangers and actual human emotions? Don't be daft! PR's audience is ... y'know, I don't even know, but we have to protect them from any strong emotional response at all.

I just want the writers to look at a calendar and realise that it's not 1993 anymore. That's it. That's my only wish.
I'd settle for them proofreading their scripts, and not tossing the first draft at the actors. MMPR wasn't even this tedious.
OhStarryNight is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 10th, 2018, 11:07 PM #225
> Jus1995
Power Ranger

Jus1995
Power Ranger

OhStarryNight wrote: View Post

I'd settle for them proofreading their scripts, and not tossing the first draft at the actors. MMPR wasn't even this tedious.
Or unintentionally offensive because they didn't think through their implications. (See Harmony & Dizchord, Last Laugh, Jake & Gia's relationship, Antonio's PTSD, Chaz's attitude toward Levi, the Samurai Rangers' treating Lauren like dog feces, Tyler's dad, or Emily saying 'Scott! Your team says hi'.)

MMPR had the excuse of being the first, growing pains and accidental casting. Neo-Saban Era does not.
Jus1995 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 11:09 PM #226
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

GrumpyBookworm wrote: View Post

Darker and realistic doesn't always equal better. I think the show's tone is fine where it's at tonally. Even SPD still maintained a light and fun tone during most of it's run.
Darker no. Realistic though, generally that application can improve depending on what you mean by realistic. More natural human emotion and dialogue, reactions to situations, growth from experiences, that kind of thing in general usually equals better.

Going with SPD as an example, it balanced the zany campy cartoonishness with some dark as heck backstory, but held it together with more realistic portrayals of people in both settings.

Xenotome wrote: View Post

The desire for Power Rangers to get "Much Darker" is so silly because this show is still a show made for 8 year olds at max. Power Rangers got as dark as they'd ever get with Wild Force's backstory.
Killing a kid on camera is pretty damn dark. It's pretty hard to top that, so they just never tried.

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

I'd say RPM kinda has it beat with the end of the world.
One is a personal level dark element and the other is a wider setting dark element. Both are about the same level of dark, but with different yet similar effects on the characters. WF basically breaks Cole with his backstory, RPM breaks everyone down Mad Max style though. On a character level, I give it to WF, on a show wide level RPM.

RiffRanger wrote: View Post

Iíd definitely say on-screen deaths that arenít later reversed is the darkest Power Rangers has ever been.
Immortal caveman with PTSD about ice, consistently forced to fight an Ice Monster and be reminded this isn't his world anymore feels a little darker. A death is an event you can move past in the story and recover from, PTSD stays with you past the end of the story.

Peter wrote: View Post

The funny thing is the more realistic human emotion we've had in a while came from last weekend's Ninja Steel showing Levi react to a stalkery fan. Even if it gets undercut and undone by the end, that initial "Oh shit you're crazy" response was pretty good acting.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 04:21 AM #227
> jeffpiatt2004
Power Ranger

jeffpiatt2004
Power Ranger

PineapplePizza wrote: View Post

Which suggest it was concerns with cost. After all they had 458 episodes to run in syndication now. Even Saban allegedly only saw the series going on for 10 years

Disney didnít have to keep the show when Doug suggested moving shop to New Zealand to save on cost.

Source? This is the first Iíve heard Disney tried to cancel outside of Wild Force, Jungle Fury, and RPM
http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Disney
the directer of SPD mentioned it
jeffpiatt2004 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 05:16 AM #228
> Judge Joker
Goodbye, bro!

Judge Joker
Goodbye, bro!

jeffpiatt2004 wrote: View Post

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Disney
the directer of SPD mentioned it
1 - Thatís RangerWiki, which is not by any means a Ďsourceí. It can be edited by anyone.

2 - If you look at the actual paragraph youíre referring to, youíll see that no source is actually given.

Iím not saying that this never happened, but only that there isnít any source to tell us it did.
Judge Joker is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old September 11th, 2018, 08:40 AM #229
> Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Retired Gangster

Greg has expressed on multiple occasions that Disney had cold feet - and we know they did prior, going in to Ninja Storm.

He and Bruce were brought on to try and revitalize the brand. Disney wasn't anti-PR, but they didn't know what to do with the brand. SPD was arguably the biggest push from Disney to make PR 'work'.

And, it did! Sales during SPD were up 14% over DinoThunder. It generated a lot of buzz! But, that wasn't enough for Disney to keep investing. The toy/production split hurt the show, thankfully Hasbro doesn't have to deal with this.
Zeo Cereal is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 10:10 AM #230
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

SPD was arguably the biggest push from Disney to make PR 'work'.
I certainly wouldn't argue that. As big a fan as I am, I was sleepwalking through Disney's run until S.P.D. started hitting us with something unique.

Greg Aronowitz is so unbelievably underrated by his industry.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:00 AM #231
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Judge Joker wrote: View Post

1 - Thatís RangerWiki, which is not by any means a Ďsourceí. It can be edited by anyone.

2 - If you look at the actual paragraph youíre referring to, youíll see that no source is actually given.

Iím not saying that this never happened, but only that there isnít any source to tell us it did.
Added a citation needed tag - if anyone has a source, either let me know or add it yourself.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:51 AM #232
> AdamOfGotham
Power Ranger

AdamOfGotham
Power Ranger

Hasbro needs to hire Greg Aronowitz. Like now.
AdamOfGotham is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 12:58 PM #233
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

The desire for Power Rangers to get "Much Darker" is so silly because this show is still a show made for 8 year olds at max.
And that's the problem, because it was never aimed at so low age group before Saban Brands; I believe the intended target age was 6-12 before. Still childish, but wouldn't make your brain rot.

I can see how marketing it at younger kids is financially better for them, but why not make it akin to Transformers or even MLP, where both kids and adults alike can enjoy it?

Power Rangers got as dark as they'd ever get with Wild Force's backstory.
Disney era had pretty dark moments, with SPD for example. Why can't the show evenreach that level now?
AtoMan is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 01:15 PM #234
> AdamOfGotham
Power Ranger

AdamOfGotham
Power Ranger

Because Haim Saban thinks kids are stupid.
AdamOfGotham is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 01:58 PM #235
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

AdamOfGotham wrote: View Post

This.

While you have kids out here enjoying the semi-sophisticated storytelling of Voltron or Adventure Time or Steven Universe or [insert cartoon here], Haim Saban still thinks that children can't even understand the concept of basic maths without proper hand-holding.
Harpsikord is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 02:04 PM #236
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

I think there's room for both methods on television. The problem is, Ninja Steel doesn't really feel like it has much in the way of meaning behind the decisions they make. Power Rangers is always going to be toy sales first; whatever form the show takes, it is because of the need to sell those toys. We may see a change due to Hasbro being the one pulling the strings now, but that tenant is probably still going to remain.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 04:59 PM #237
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

Hasbro needs to hire Greg Aronowitz. Like now.
Yes! Although didn't he work on that Netflix Labyrinth TV series? Has that even come out come to think of it?
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 05:49 PM #238
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Dukemon wrote: View Post

We may see a change due to Hasbro being the one pulling the strings now, but that tenant is probably still going to remain.
And while that is true, and will always remain true ... RPM was a toy commercial. Dino Charge was a toy commercial. In Space was a toy commercial.

Being toy-focussed doesn't by default mean the show has to be terrible.

It frustrates me sometimes, just randomly, not from you specifically, but it frustrates me that it's framed as an either-or situation. "Either the show gets cancelled, or we just have to put up with toy-focussed storytelling".
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 07:01 PM #239
> FET-Kun
Dude In A Terriermon Suit

FET-Kun
Dude In A Terriermon Suit

Harpsikord wrote: View Post

This.

While you have kids out here enjoying the semi-sophisticated storytelling of Voltron or Adventure Time or Steven Universe or [insert cartoon here], Haim Saban still thinks that children can't even understand the concept of basic maths without proper hand-holding.
It's not as simple as thinking kids are stupid. There are hours, upon hours, of research and data collected, and this dictates much of the decisions that are made for kids television shows, and Power Rangers is no exception. For whatever reason, the newer generations seem to prefer the comedic stuff, rather than drama and action.

So, when you have a show that has been geared to a low demographic of kids, and what makes them sit in their seats is silly comedy, that's when we get what we get. Same reason why so many kids shows never stop playing any background music. Research had showed that they paid attention longer because of it.

Adventure time and Steven Universe are completely different age groups. The former was never intended to have any sort of intricate story and had to reverse engineer it, and the latter is questionable, especially with it catering to the whims of all of it's fans. Never mind Voltron, a show that was free from much of the traditional bullshit that I just spoke about.

You can argue that, a show can be made appealing to many ages, and I agree. But when the data shows "kids respond to X" you give them "X" and run with it. Saban may had been conducting business in a way that wasn't enjoyable for us older fans, but he was aiming for the money. Not to mention, it was pretty much confirmed at morphicon recently, that Saban felt the show was missing the "FUN" aspect of it, thus sealing Ninja Steel's fate.

Last edited by FET-Kun; September 11th, 2018 at 07:08 PM.
FET-Kun is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 07:06 PM #240
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

I mean, even shows like Thundermans, K.C. Undercover and Henry Danger (at times) are better, and I think Mighty Med, Lab Rats and Mech X4 and the like had decent writing even if most of them were aimed at comedy. It's just that Saban Brands', well, brand of comedy is tacky IMO and doesn't poke its own tropes like those shows when it does that. The "goody good" characters means many of them lack the snark past rangers have that will poke on those tropes. IMO the biggest problem on all season they have is putting a life lesson of some sorts and putting a story around it rather than having the life lesson fit into the story.
zjranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote