RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #2081
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com
eBay
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 8,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger4612 View Post
Gamestop benefits from not having a backlog of wave 1 and 2 to get through before shipping to stores. They order from Bandai, Bandai sends them the most recent case assortment, that just happens to be wave 3. What's really perplexing is how Barnes and Noble manages to keep getting wave 1 in.
Same reason likely - they have a backlog of wave 1.

***

This is all a microcosm of why when people complain that it's Bandai's fault things are shelf-warming or late arriving to their area that they are ignorant of the larger situation. Bandai didn't send your Toys R Us a thousand cases of wave 1 of whatever.

The chain ordered X, your store got some portion of X, and then demand for the item wasn't as high as they expected in your area.

Stores are saying "Bandai, here's a bunch of money, send us what you have now." It's not Bandai's job to say "we're only gonna take half your money because we think you're ordering too much."

Bandai can be blamed for not producing enough of an item (likely not an issue since 1994) and they can be blamed for case ratios, but beyond that... it's usually the chains' fault.
grnrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #2082
Dyl
Install Megaranger!
eBay
 
Dyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrngr View Post
Same reason likely - they have a backlog of wave 1.

***

This is all a microcosm of why when people complain that it's Bandai's fault things are shelf-warming or late arriving to their area that they are ignorant of the larger situation. Bandai didn't send your Toys R Us a thousand cases of wave 1 of whatever.

The chain ordered X, your store got some portion of X, and then demand for the item wasn't as high as they expected in your area.

Stores are saying "Bandai, here's a bunch of money, send us what you have now." It's not Bandai's job to say "we're only gonna take half your money because we think you're ordering too much."

Bandai can be blamed for not producing enough of an item (likely not an issue since 1994) and they can be blamed for case ratios, but beyond that... it's usually the chains' fault.
Thanks for explaining how that process works, and now it makes so much more sense. I wonder if retailers are playing it save with wave 3 so they don't have the one figure peg warming like in Wave 1 and 2
Dyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #2083
TheTerrorToad87
I'm in OREGON.
eBay
 
TheTerrorToad87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
I think what he means is why smaller companies like Game Stop are getting these figures way before their regular retailers like TRU, Walmart and such.
It just seems to happen that way sometimes, like when Walgreens got wave 6 of the Super Megaforce figure line before anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyl View Post
Thanks for explaining how that process works, and now it makes so much more sense. I wonder if retailers are playing it save with wave 3 so they don't have the one figure peg warming like in Wave 1 and 2
Stores don't really know the difference when it comes to "waves." The figures are all under the same sku number regardless of which wave, so as long as there are still figures on the peg the store won't order anymore, even though there are new ones to be had.
TheTerrorToad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #2084
Dino_Ranger_White
White Ranger_Dino Power!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,737
Huh… I did not even know that Barnes and Noble was getting the 6" Legacy Line.
Is this something recent?
Dino_Ranger_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #2085
Serpenterix
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 449
Many store's ordering systems are automated too and based on sales. It kinda runs itself, on auto pilot if you will. That's how Wal-Mart's runs mostly. Their department managers can manually order things if needed but for the most part the ordering is subject to the sales and availability. This is why if a shelf is empty and there's even just one case in the back that's why you won't see some stores have anything for ages depending on what the item is and its case count as the system believes there are still plenty unsold (which is true) but if the remaining case hasn't been stocked making it available for customers to buy no sales are generates which means the system won't order anymore unless a manager catches this and manually orders more. This is retail though, understandably a manager is not going to give a shit that a certain "wave" of figures is all they have left out of a box and will manually order more since they only "3 greens left" or "nothing but pinks of this one". System/manager won't care until enough sell from what they have.
Serpenterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #2086
Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenterix View Post
Many store's ordering systems are automated too and based on sales. It kinda runs itself, on auto pilot if you will. That's how Wal-Mart's runs mostly. Their department managers can manually order things if needed but for the most part the ordering is subject to the sales and availability. This is why if a shelf is empty and there's even just one case in the back that's why you won't see some stores have anything for ages depending on what the item is and its case count as the system believes there are still plenty unsold (which is true) but if the remaining case hasn't been stocked making it available for customers to buy no sales are generates which means the system won't order anymore unless a manager catches this and manually orders more. This is retail though, understandably a manager is not going to give a shit that a certain "wave" of figures is all they have left out of a box and will manually order more since they only "3 greens left" or "nothing but pinks of this one". System/manager won't care until enough sell from what they have.

And this is why the Walmarts around my area at least usually have a practically empty Transformers section. Stupid Walmart. Or why it took till only a couple weeks ago for one of the Walmarts to actually get the PR PSH. Ridiculous.
Alitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #2087
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com
eBay
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 8,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenterix View Post
This is retail though, understandably a manager is not going to give a shit that a certain "wave" of figures is all they have left out of a box and will manually order more since they only "3 greens left" or "nothing but pinks of this one".
Especially since (a) no manager is going to know every item they stock on this level of detail and even moreso (b) they aren't going to follow along in their spare times to know what's coming next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenterix View Post
System/manager won't care until enough sell from what they have.
And, frankly, they shouldn't.

Let's use these Legacy figures as an example. Let's say I get a case of wave 1 in. I'm lucky, and my store was one of the first in the area to get them, and someone buys a complete set. So, I have an MMPR Green left on my shelf (1).

I order another case and am lucky to get wave 2 but it doesn't come in until the competitor store down the street got the same wave. So, now MMPR Green sells (because of course it does) and so do MMPR Blue and MMPR Black. But, no one buys either MMPR Pink (because girls don't sell) and no one buys PRiS Red and PRiS Yellow (because who are these knockoffs, they're not the MMPR!). So, now I've got 4 left on my shelf. Half a case.

Why would I order another case? It will quite possibly overflow the area I have for the item. If I get the same assortment as before, I'm doubly screwed as most will just shelf warm.

PR doesn't take up enough real estate to warrant ordering a bunch of stock to fill the shelves. And when it does... well, the number of Walmarts in my area that still have PRDC wave 1 Dino Chargers (the ones with the rounded packaging) is SHOCKING.

The only thing I would recommend they do with the Legacy Figures is if they don't have a GUARANTEED figure (MMPR Green, MMPR White, maybe any Red), don't double anyone up in a case. MMPR Pink is showing this.

And I say ANY Red because I still find a PRNS Yellow for every two PRNS Blues I see but I haven't seen a PRNS Red in forever. Maybe it's true, or maybe it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, but Reds are the most popular other than the obvious ones (Tommys).
grnrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #2088
dekablue25
db25 from ranger review
 
dekablue25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,678
I've noticed that even K-Mart now just got in wave 3 and all they get is mmpr white and yellow. one store in the city got the entire wave 3 in once and then they sold out.
dekablue25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:51 AM   #2089
Alitain
God of Benevolence
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 8,891
Yeah the walmart by me got in the white and yellow ranger in I just noticed the other day. I don't buy them, but I like to check them out sometimes when I notice new rangers. But they were the only new ones from w3 which is a shame for the collectors.
Alitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:01 AM   #2090
Dark storm
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,363
That whole not ordering because there are still a few left on the shelf is ridiculous. I work in retail currently, and at the store I work at, even if there are maybe 4-5 of certain items, they will automatically have more ordered from distribution center so that we either don't run out, or when someone buys those last couple pieces, it won't take another whole week of them waiting.

I even used to work at walmart, and the main focus was zoning departments and making the shelves and pegs look full. Can't do that by leaving one lone power ranger on the shelf when you have a back room with cases full of the same darn thing, or are refusing to order them if you can.
Dark storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #2091
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com
eBay
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 8,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark storm View Post
That whole not ordering because there are still a few left on the shelf is ridiculous. I work in retail currently, and at the store I work at, even if there are maybe 4-5 of certain items, they will automatically have more ordered from distribution center so that we either don't run out, or when someone buys those last couple pieces, it won't take another whole week of them waiting.
The point remains the same. If there is plenty of stock on-hand and it's not selling, more stock isn't going to be ordered. There are certain stock levels which are maintained - whether that is x items on the shelf or y items in the store, same difference.
grnrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:27 AM   #2092
CryloBen
Uuza Douza Uru Zanga
eBay
 
CryloBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark storm View Post
That whole not ordering because there are still a few left on the shelf is ridiculous. I work in retail currently, and at the store I work at, even if there are maybe 4-5 of certain items, they will automatically have more ordered from distribution center so that we either don't run out, or when someone buys those last couple pieces, it won't take another whole week of them waiting.

I even used to work at walmart, and the main focus was zoning departments and making the shelves and pegs look full. Can't do that by leaving one lone power ranger on the shelf when you have a back room with cases full of the same darn thing, or are refusing to order them if you can.
Telling you right now that's how walmart works as a current employee. Ordering is automatic. DMs run their bins to pull out any picks and then do an OoS Report daily(5 out of 7 days of the week anyway). They CAN order stuff, and even when the system orders, Store Managers, and pretty much every step above them on the distribution ladder can either say "yes this store can get that item in, or no they can not". And if the item is a warehouse out, you're gonna be waiting probably month(s) before you get it. From my own experience this is how it works. I've also had things get ordered and the order get canceled, found the item elsewhere (TRU/Target/Different Walmart), and then the order that got canceled, get fulfilled and show up like 2 months later.
CryloBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #2093
Vaportrail
Power Ranger
 
Vaportrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 66
Yeah, I worked at a TRU for about a year. Ordering is automatic. They never know when something is going to come into stock. That's decided higher up than anyone you'll meet at the store.

Little frustrating when you're fighting against other collectors in your market, all looking for the same figures (I've yet to see ML Deadpool in stores) which generally arrive only 1-2 cases at a time, but that's just how it works.
Vaportrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #2094
CryloBen
Uuza Douza Uru Zanga
eBay
 
CryloBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaportrail View Post
Yeah, I worked at a TRU for about a year. Ordering is automatic. They never know when something is going to come into stock. That's decided higher up than anyone you'll meet at the store.

Little frustrating when you're fighting against other collectors in your market, all looking for the same figures (I've yet to see ML Deadpool in stores) which generally arrive only 1-2 cases at a time, but that's just how it works.
This feel is a feel that is all too real. Good news is if you still want ML 'Pool, BBTS is getting a restock of him.. But at this point I'd much rather have the Figma or Revoltech.
CryloBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:26 PM   #2095
Serpenterix
Power Ranger
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark storm View Post
That whole not ordering because there are still a few left on the shelf is ridiculous. I work in retail currently, and at the store I work at, even if there are maybe 4-5 of certain items, they will automatically have more ordered from distribution center so that we either don't run out, or when someone buys those last couple pieces, it won't take another whole week of them waiting.

I even used to work at walmart, and the main focus was zoning departments and making the shelves and pegs look full. Can't do that by leaving one lone power ranger on the shelf when you have a back room with cases full of the same darn thing, or are refusing to order them if you can.
I worked for Wal-Mart over 5 years as an overnight stocker and always paid attention to how things came in. Also, I substituted as a department manager on a few different occasions since (and I know this sounds arrogant) I was one of the few non-manager workers that actually gave a shit about work ethic and knowing how things are properly done so the salaried ones asked me and I said what the hell just to try something different. So yes, I'm a little familiar with how they operate. And I could write a book on how fucked up Wal-Mart's inventory management systems were when I was there at least. I know everyone loves to blame empty shelves on lazy workers but trust me when I say some store's backrooms look like bombs went off. Completely unorganized, nothing binned in properly, counts off, etc. I hate to question your month of experience there but as someone who saw how inventory flowed on both fronts I'm fairly confident my knowledge of it is a bit more trustworthy.

Last edited by Serpenterix; May 19th, 2017 at 06:32 PM.
Serpenterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #2096
wolfinator11
Power Ranger Talk
 
wolfinator11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,056
Here are the first 5 Legacy Figures we will get
Wave 4


Wave 5






Last edited by wolfinator11; May 19th, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
wolfinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #2097
Heroblob
www.schedelworld.com
 
Heroblob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,892
Where did those pictures come from? It's awesome to see the design specs.
Heroblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #2098
TheTerrorToad87
I'm in OREGON.
eBay
 
TheTerrorToad87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,838
Two tommys in one wave? You'd think they would've spread them out.
TheTerrorToad87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #2099
CryloBen
Uuza Douza Uru Zanga
eBay
 
CryloBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpenterix View Post
I worked for Wal-Mart over 5 years as an overnight stocker and always paid attention to how things came in. Also, I substituted as a department manager on a few different occasions since (and I know this sounds arrogant) I was one of the few non-manager workers that actually gave a shit about work ethic and knowing how things are properly done so the salaried ones asked me and I said what the hell just to try something different. So yes, I'm a little familiar with how they operate. And I could write a book on how fucked up Wal-Mart's inventory management systems were when I was there at least. I know everyone loves to blame empty shelves on lazy workers but trust me when I say some store's backrooms look like bombs went off. Completely unorganized, nothing binned in properly, counts off, etc. I hate to question your month of experience there but as someone who saw how inventory flowed on both fronts I'm fairly confident my knowledge of it is a bit more trustworthy.
Literally me. Except I'm day shift sporting goods. My store is the latter; awful disorganized backroom, counts off by the hundreds in some cases, and overflowing with shit no one wants to be honest.
CryloBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 04:22 AM   #2100
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com
eBay
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 8,851
Those combined images are inaccurate.

Wave 4:
PRDT Red
PRDT Blue
PRZ Yellow
PRZ Green
PRZ Gold

Wave 5:
PRZ Red
PRZ Pink
PRZ Blue
PRDT Yellow
PRDT Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTerrorToad87 View Post
Two tommys in one wave? You'd think they would've spread them out.
Yeah, that is kinda weird. Will be interesting to see which one they double up (gotta imagine it would be PRZ Red, but who knows).
grnrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.