RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions

Old May 19th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #1
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

In A Heartbeat [Kickstarter-funded LGBTQ Short]

Quote:
A closeted boy runs the risk of being outed by his own heart after it pops out of his chest to chase down the boy of his dreams.

Pretty cool project. Hopefully it helps kick more doors down.
Cameron Samurai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:05 PM   #2
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Could be cute. Is this gonna be mostly silent, like a lot of recent Disney shorts, or are they aiming for full voice acting and the like, just on a shorter timeframe?

Honestly, I just hope it's good. The way you framed it in this post made me feel like it'd be a gay film for the sake of having a gay film, as opposed to a good, cute, romance that just happened to be between two guys, one of whom is in the closet. Doing something to pander never works well.

This looks good, though. I'll definitely watch when it's released.
kainhighwind2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainhighwind2 View Post
Could be cute. Is this gonna be mostly silent, like a lot of recent Disney shorts, or are they aiming for full voice acting and the like, just on a shorter timeframe?

Honestly, I just hope it's good. The way you framed it in this post made me feel like it'd be a gay film for the sake of having a gay film
Yeah, probably chalk that one up to being a bit overexcited. It's just a short at the end of the day so maybe it won't be too forced like a studio-led film would be.
Cameron Samurai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Myzou
The One You Love to Hate

Okay, this one looks adorable.

The way the description sounds, being gay is actually integral to the plot. He's closeted, and he's trying to stop his heart from outing him.

It wouldn't really work the same with a straight romance.
Myzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #5
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
Okay, this one looks adorable.

The way the description sounds, being gay is actually integral to the plot. He's closeted, and he's trying to stop his heart from outing him.

It wouldn't really work the same with a straight romance.
It's forbidden love. You could switch gay for interracial, or just people from different walks of life, and it'd still work.

It just seems more intense and topical because being gay is a more hotbutton issue than interracial romance and the like.
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #6
shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

Got start somewhere. And even if they just took a typical romance and made them both the same gender, it'll still get press for being the "first gay kids (short) film ever!" by the press, so making a quick sit about a kid dealing with being closeted probably won't break it (and sadly is still relevant even today, even after nationwide gay marriage being made legal. There's a lot more work to do.)
shoujoaifan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #7
kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoujoaifan01 View Post
Got start somewhere. And even if they just took a typical romance and made them both the same gender, it'll still get press for being the "first gay kids (short) film ever!" by the press, so making a quick sit about a kid dealing with being closeted probably won't break it (and sadly is still relevant even today, even after nationwide gay marriage being made legal. There's a lot more work to do.)
Yeah. I'm not one of those "Why do they have to be gay!" "Why are they shoving this down kid's throats!" or anything like that. Like I said, this looks super cute and I'm gonna watch it.

I'm just saying the fact this is about a couple of gay kids doesn't make it a better, or more special film. I'm going to watch this because it looks like a cute romance, and looks like it'll be fun, like the recent Disney shorts. I won't be watching it just because it has gay people as the main character. Being gay isn't special or revolutionary or radical or anything. It's just a thing some people are. I'd be just as interested in this if one of the main characters was a girl.

My main problem is that people will see something cute and harmless, like this, zero in on the fact that the main characters are gay, and that overshadows basically everything else about it. It's not longer "A cute romance", it's now "A gay romance". Know what I mean?
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #8
Allio
Power Ranger

"Follow your heart" a bit too cliche for my taste
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #9
Blue22
Blue Ranger

Oh I can see the unnecessary controversy now :/
Blue22 is offline   Reply With Quote