Home Menu

Menu

Old May 27th, 2019, 09:12 AM #41
> precita
Power Ranger

precita
Power Ranger

Yeah, but as said it's still just a filler episode. Dogasu made an article of it and said Ash jumping around like a monkey with black paint on was too similar to blackface. We've never seen an important ep "banned" since the safari zone ep in the first season when Ash caught all his Tauros. I wonder if 4kids was contemplating on skipping the Jynx ep in May's last Hoenn Contest, but then couldn't because then it wouldn't make sense for dub audiences on how she got her 5th ribbon and entered the Grand Festival. I doubt the dub could ever ban a Gym or Contest-esque ep for a main character unless there's something seriously offensive in it, because then it just wouldn't make sense.
precita is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:40 AM #42
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

I never understood the whole "Blackface" Jynx debate. She obviously wasn't meant as a cariacture of black people.

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1...x_OS_anime.png

How people looked at that and thought "OH MY GOD SHE LOOKS LIKE AN AFRICAN AMERICAN" still makes me scratch my head. Hell, by saying that, in essence, the person who said that was playing into stereotypes themselves.

Fans pointed out later that it was obviously meant to be caricaturing a trend in the 90s in Japan which is essentially the "Real Housewives" trend now. Overtanning, Extreme Makeup, etc.
What about this guy

Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:24 AM #43
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

precita wrote: View Post

Yeah, but as said it's still just a filler episode. Dogasu made an article of it and said Ash jumping around like a monkey with black paint on was too similar to blackface. We've never seen an important ep "banned" since the safari zone ep in the first season when Ash caught all his Tauros. I wonder if 4kids was contemplating on skipping the Jynx ep in May's last Hoenn Contest, but then couldn't because then it wouldn't make sense for dub audiences on how she got her 5th ribbon and entered the Grand Festival. I doubt the dub could ever ban a Gym or Contest-esque ep for a main character unless there's something seriously offensive in it, because then it just wouldn't make sense.
Try watching the show in Korea. Among the banned episodes there are Erika, Koga, Falkner and Morty's gym battles, the episode in which Metapod evolved, and one of Ash's Indigo League fights.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:35 PM #44
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

It is worth noting that most anime has its roots in early American animation, where blackface wasn't uncommon in the beginning. So it's not a stretch to assume that's where a lot of manga-ka and anime artists get the inspiration from. Characters like Pyunma in Cyborg 009 were drawn blatantly in blackface because that's how Japanese artists learned to draw black people.

While characters like Jynx were based on ganguro and gyaru culture, their decision to bring the parody of the subculture to its logical conclusion by making the skin pitch-black and giving them puffy lips could very well have taken inspiration from how early manga-ka drew black people, which in turn came from how Americans did blackface.

Mr. Popo wasn't made out of malice or intentional bigotry, but I think Toriyama took much more obvious and direct influence from the caricature than the roundabout way Jynx might have.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:50 PM #45
> smrtguy85
Power Ranger

smrtguy85
Power Ranger

Porygon and its evolutions are always the only pokemon to never appear in the anime (apart from movies) at the end of every anime season.

It's quite sad.
Isn't Kadabra a banned Mon because of the Uri Geller situation? From my understanding he's been banned from the show and from the card game. I know it's not quite the same, cause Abra and Alakazam aren't affected like Porygon's branch, but still.
smrtguy85 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:23 PM #46
> precita
Power Ranger

precita
Power Ranger

Kadabra appears in the anime in the background from time to time. I know it was in an early Battle Frontier filler, ironically enough the first one with the new voice cast.
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:56 PM #47
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

smrtguy85 wrote: View Post

Isn't Kadabra a banned Mon because of the Uri Geller situation? From my understanding he's been banned from the show and from the card game. I know it's not quite the same, cause Abra and Alakazam aren't affected like Porygon's branch, but still.
Yeah, it's at the point where even if you trade a Kadabra while holding an everstone they'll still evolve.
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 02:20 PM #48
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

Mr. Popo wasn't made out of malice or intentional bigotry, but I think Toriyama took much more obvious and direct influence from the caricature than the roundabout way Jynx might have.
Oh, Toriyama knew exactly what he was doing.

Popo may have quacked like a duck, but Commander Black was a duck. While Roshi was training Goku and Krillin, they even knocked on the door of a mammy.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:32 PM #49
> rocky505
Writer of PRLW

rocky505
Writer of PRLW

precita wrote: View Post

Kadabra appears in the anime in the background from time to time. I know it was in an early Battle Frontier filler, ironically enough the first one with the new voice cast.
It doesn't appear though. It hasn't been in an episode since Hoenn and only appears in Movie openings like Porygon.
rocky505 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:43 PM #50
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

smrtguy85 wrote: View Post

To my knowledge, they didn't lose the lawsuit. They just limit Kadabra's appearances out of respect for the guy and to avoid future lawsuits from him to save money.

But yes, as another poster said, Kadabra will still evolve even if holding an Everstone.

Really though, all GameFreak had to do was rename Kadabra's Japanese name. They named the Japanese stages of Abra after famous magicians, and Uri Geller decided to sue Nintendo over using his name and "likeness" (because apparently he's the ONLY magician who uses spoons *eyeroll*)

Because apparently being immortalized with a tribute in one of the most popular franchises in the world is something to sue someone over.

He lost the lawsuit, from anything I can find online, but GameFreak assumingly wants to avoid any future lawsuits, so they just limit Kadabra's appearances.

Last edited by AkaUnlovedFyntabulous; May 27th, 2019 at 04:49 PM.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:10 PM #51
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Because apparently being immortalized with a tribute in one of the most popular franchises in the world is something to sue someone over.
Uri Geller is also, like, a scam artist. He insists his psychic powers are real even after he got debunked on live television by James Randi. He's almost as famous for his lawsuits as he is for his faux-psychic tricks because he's constantly trying to remain relevant. His copyright suits are all part of the hustle.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 05:53 PM #52
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Try watching the show in Korea. Among the banned episodes there are Erika, Koga, Falkner and Morty's gym battles, the episode in which Metapod evolved, and one of Ash's Indigo League fights.
I think that's due to the cultural bad blood between Japan and Korea. Heard one of the Soul Calibur games replaced the samurai with a white guy there.
Dragonwolf Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:16 PM #53
> precita
Power Ranger

precita
Power Ranger

To be fair now that there's 800+ pokemon, the bulk of the older ones don't appear often in the anime anymore. There's a lot of BW pokemon that only have like half an episode of screentime in the anime. And then older Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh pokemon go long gaps without appearances.

But it's to be expected, out of 800+ and counting pokemon, you can't constantly feature them all.
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:40 PM #54
> shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

I've been saying since Sun & Moon was annouced, they'll probaby keep to the trend of at least the last 2 gens and have less than 100 new each gen, and even I doubt they'll be able to avoid reaching 1000 somewhere AT LEAST in gen 10, if not gen 9. You can just tell they never believed it would last this long, and they'll have to keep programming every evo item, every fossil, etc.

(Can only make up so many bug, bird, and rats to catch in early routes before they already started blending together years ago...)

Makes me wonder then if first mega evos and then alolan forms where honestly just what they felt like doing, or if megas were an attempt to just tweak designs rather than 100% orinigal, followed by them freaking out how broken they eneded up being (....you made them...), threw in z moves and alolan forms to make up for the power spam & designs refresh.

That, or Game Freak is just that fickle, and one game with churn out something random like 72 new ones, and the next 113, and Mewtwo & Charizard both wind up with a Mega Z form for the lolz
shoujoaifan01 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 07:07 PM #55
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Honestly, the low amount of new pokemon was likely a limitation of the handheld cartridges.

The Pokemon Games were always pushing the limits of the storage capacity. Compared to other games, the Pokemon games were usually 2-3x larger than them, GB wise.

You could tell this just from Sun and Moon. The Battle Royal fights were ***EXTREMELY*** laggy, because the 3DS just couldn't handle rendering them. Even the 3DSXL had issues with it. There were serious hardware limitations with the pokemon games, and the storage limitations were real as well.

Dataminers were the first ones to mention it when they started datamining ORAS and SuMo.

With the Switch though, it's entirely possible they may introduce more than we're used to. That may be why they chose to introduce Let's Go first.

Granted, I don't expect that, just saying it's entirely a possibility.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 02:46 AM #56
> Random
The Lizard Queen

Random
The Lizard Queen

I never understood the whole "Blackface" Jynx debate. She obviously wasn't meant as a cariacture of black people.

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1...x_OS_anime.png

How people looked at that and thought "OH MY GOD SHE LOOKS LIKE AN AFRICAN AMERICAN" still makes me scratch my head. Hell, by saying that, in essence, the person who said that was playing into stereotypes themselves.

Fans pointed out later that it was obviously meant to be caricaturing a trend in the 90s in Japan which is essentially the "Real Housewives" trend now. Overtanning, Extreme Makeup, etc.
I'm still not convinced it wasn't supposed to be a caricature of black people.

I don't think it was done in a malicious way, as others have said, there's other anime that have "paid tribute" to those early western animation characters and it bears far more similarity to those than it does the Japanese fashion style, which has never been confirmed by the developers to be the basis, and is brought into question by the existence of an early beta male Jynx.

The fact Jynx first appeared as Santa's helpers in the anime episode, which was also a common racial trope in the 50s, seems more than coincidental.

Honestly, the low amount of new pokemon was likely a limitation of the handheld cartridges.

The Pokemon Games were always pushing the limits of the storage capacity. Compared to other games, the Pokemon games were usually 2-3x larger than them, GB wise.

You could tell this just from Sun and Moon. The Battle Royal fights were ***EXTREMELY*** laggy, because the 3DS just couldn't handle rendering them. Even the 3DSXL had issues with it. There were serious hardware limitations with the pokemon games, and the storage limitations were real as well.

Dataminers were the first ones to mention it when they started datamining ORAS and SuMo.

With the Switch though, it's entirely possible they may introduce more than we're used to. That may be why they chose to introduce Let's Go first.

Granted, I don't expect that, just saying it's entirely a possibility.
Cartridge space has nothing to do with the games performance. It's not like Gen 6 and 7 had less new Pokemon designs than previous games either if you're counting Alola forms and Megas, so it's clearly an intentional decision to focus on these gimmicks rather than introducing actual new Pokemon.

And I don't see that changing, at this point I think it's more exciting for fans to see something different like megas, rather than just having more basic Pokemon.
Random is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 03:34 AM #57
> AdamPark62
Mastodonth,Zeo Ranger IV

AdamPark62
Mastodonth,Zeo Ranger IV

I also expect a low number of pokemons with a new gimmick. As long as there’s a decent amount of new useful pokemon, i’m ok with that. It’s also a good way to bring back some older pokemon under the spotlight, even if i miss pre and new evolution for old pokemon (Probably an unpopular opinion XD)
AdamPark62 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 07:38 AM #58
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

AdamPark62 wrote: View Post

I also expect a low number of pokemons with a new gimmick. As long as there’s a decent amount of new useful pokemon, i’m ok with that. It’s also a good way to bring back some older pokemon under the spotlight, even if i miss pre and new evolution for old pokemon (Probably an unpopular opinion XD)
I'm not expecting a lot of new Pokemon, but I would think we'll see more than the last 2 gens.

Gimmicks probably still take precedent though, as you can tie them into older, fan-favorite mons.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 10:41 AM #59
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

Interesting that Nintendo is doing a direct on June 6th for Pokemon rather than just waiting for E3 the following week.
comicstar100 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 10:45 AM #60
> ⚡Dukemon

Dukemon

comicstar100 wrote: View Post

Interesting that Nintendo is doing a direct on June 6th for Pokemon rather than just waiting for E3 the following week.
They did the same thing with Sun and Moon. Well, not in a direct in that case- it was just a trailer I think.

They then followed that up at E3 with a treehouse demo, revealing 3 new Pokemon.
Dukemon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote