Home Menu

Menu

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:10 PM #21
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Allio wrote: View Post

Also since piccolo is the “black guy” of dbz, wouldn’t that make Kami also black?
Eh, if Kami was Black then Piccolo's black too...then again...stoic alien warrior from world more in tune with nature that's alien to the Earth heroes...yeah, they're probably both black.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 06:45 PM #22
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

I never understood the whole "Blackface" Jynx debate. She obviously wasn't meant as a cariacture of black people.

How people looked at that and thought "OH MY GOD SHE LOOKS LIKE AN AFRICAN AMERICAN" still makes me scratch my head. Hell, by saying that, in essence, the person who said that was playing into stereotypes themselves.

Fans pointed out later that it was obviously meant to be caricaturing a trend in the 90s in Japan which is essentially the "Real Housewives" trend now. Overtanning, Extreme Makeup, etc.
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:05 PM #23
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous wrote: View Post

I never understood the whole "Blackface" Jynx debate. She obviously wasn't meant as a cariacture of black people.
I mean, you say that, but the fact it even happened means it's not that obvious. The standard American wasn't going to know who the Prime Minister of Japan was in the 90s, much-less what ganguro/gyaru culture was. When Americans saw a character with pitch-black skin and puffy lips, that was gonna be one of the first things that came to their minds.

Like yeah, it's silly in hindsight, but it makes sense that it happened. The Internet was only just becoming a thing and once parents got the wrong idea none of them were going to hop on and clear up the misunderstanding. Americans today are a bit more conscious of the fact that other cultures exist, but that wasn't the case back then.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:27 PM #24
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

I'm not annoyed that American's mistook it for blackface, I'm just annoyed that it actually led GameFreak to change the design.
SuperStar is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:46 PM #25
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

SuperStar wrote: View Post

I'm not annoyed that American's mistook it for blackface, I'm just annoyed that it actually led GameFreak to change the design.
We were never going to like it, we still don't, and Game Freak needs those precious American dollars.

You damn well better bend over backwards.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:47 PM #26
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

The whole jynx debacle never annoyed me. And while blackface is definitely the first thing that comes to mind when I see Jynx, it never offended me. Honestly, I've always found it all funny.

The fact that it looks like something out of a minstrel show for drag queens. The fact that it caused so much outrage that it hasn't appeared in the anime in any significant capacity since Kanto. The fact that her face is purple in the games now, while Mr. Popo and...this...are left unchanged. It's all hilarious.

You know what's really annoying? The fact that porygon now has two evolutions but the pokemon itself hasn't been allowed to appear in the anime again. Even though Ash's Pikachu was who caused the seizures.

Last edited by BlueMystechRanger; May 26th, 2019 at 08:03 PM.
BlueMystechRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:54 PM #27
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp

BlueMystechRanger wrote: View Post

You know what's really annoying? The fact that porygon now has two evolutions but, the pokemon itself hasn't been allowed to appear in the anime again even though Ash's Pikachu was who caused the seizures.
I'd be more annoyed if you could ever actually use a Porygon before beating the games they were introduced in.

They're already such a footnote in the main attraction that not seeing them in the secondary attraction barely matters.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:57 PM #28
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1...x_OS_anime.png

How people looked at that and thought "OH MY GOD SHE LOOKS LIKE AN AFRICAN AMERICAN" still makes me scratch my head. Hell, by saying that, in essence, the person who said that was playing into stereotypes themselves.

Fans pointed out later that it was obviously meant to be caricaturing a trend in the 90s in Japan which is essentially the "Real Housewives" trend now. Overtanning, Extreme Makeup, etc.
To be fair, a fat woman with big lips and a pitch black face were all the signs of the stereotypical "mammy" figure back in the day. Most in the west aren't anywhere near familiar enough with Japanese culture to know that Jynx being based off of the Ganguro movement is the much more likely scenario. So of course anyone familiar with the Jim Crow era is gonna see Jynx and think "holy shit, that's blackface"

Hell, even with me knowing what Ganguro is, I still can't help but see blackface when I look at Jynx.
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:00 PM #29
> AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

AkaUnlovedFyntabulous
The One You Love to Hate

Porygon and its evolutions are always the only pokemon to never appear in the anime (apart from movies) at the end of every anime season.

It's quite sad.

EDIT: Also, have they STILL not released Pokeball colored Magearna for USUM?
AkaUnlovedFyntabulous is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:03 PM #30
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

I've always found it strange that, even though Porygon still has this negative stigma attached to it, it was still allowed to have not one, but two evolutions.
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:24 PM #31
> maslego
Idea Ranger

maslego
Idea Ranger

BlueMystechRanger wrote: View Post

Mr. Popo.
They tried changing Popo to bright blue once.

To say fans lost their shit would be an understatement.
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:33 PM #32
> BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

Oh right. Blue Popo. I had completely erased the 4kids version of DBZ from my memory since...well it was the fucking 4Kids version of DBZ xD
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:33 PM #33
> rocky505
Writer of PRLW

rocky505
Writer of PRLW

EDIT: Also, have they STILL not released Pokeball colored Magearna for USUM?
Nope. They just got done releasing the Shiny Versions of the 4 Tapu's in Japan though.

Other things that still haven't been released are

-AZ's Floette
-Shiny Victini
-Shiny Meloetta
-Shiny Keldeo
-Shiny Volcanion(Even though it has a card in the TCG...)
-Shiny Hoopa
-Shiny Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala
-Shiny Necrozma
-Shiny Magearna
-Shiny Marshadow
-Shiny Zeraora
rocky505 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:53 PM #34
> SuperStar
Power Ranger

SuperStar
Power Ranger

Ganguro is only part of Jynx's design, she's also based on Yama-uba. Yama-uba was a snowy mountain residing old lady yokai, known for wearing a red kimono and having bright hair. In theater she was also often depicted with darkened skin. Also, Yamanba, an alternate name for Yama-uba, is slang for a form of ganguro, and the it becomes more obvious when you consider it's baby evolution Smoochum, who takes some influence from Kintaro, who was adopted by Yama-uba in legend.
SuperStar is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 01:19 AM #35
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

SuperStar wrote: View Post

They even updated it in the Virtual Console version of Yellow, despite the fact the original hardware couldn't have supported such a colourful sprite (it now has five colours, and the limit should be four).

The design change must have happened around the time Gold and Silver were released, as the English version of GSC had a purple Jynx in the first place. Japanese GSC had her in black, so the VC release uses the international sprites.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:17 AM #36
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

Oh, sure, Mew is cute. But then you find out Mew really wanted Mewtwo DEAD in the movie.

Or Mewtwo is just thinking how it's the mature one.
Adara.2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:03 AM #37
> RedRobin
Genius Schmuck

RedRobin
Genius Schmuck

15-minute Pokemon direct on June 5
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...94870610616321
RedRobin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 08:40 AM #38
> precita
Power Ranger

precita
Power Ranger

4kids skipped the Jynx episode in Johto, "The Ice Cave" as back in 2002 is when the Jynx controversy was in full swing, hence all the earlier Kanto/Orange eps with Jynx being dubbed.

The next time Jynx would appear would be in late Hoenn during May's last Hoenn Contest and her skin was purple, and KidsWb originally skipped over airing that 2-parter and aired the Grand Festival before that. This was back in 2005, and I remember people being pissed at the time. Of course they aired the eps about 2 weeks later (also keep in mind this was the final year for Pokemon to air on KidsWb in general, as this was the end of the 4kids era before the transition to BF and CN). Given the Contests were an important arc I wonder if that was the reason that compelled them to dub the episodes, because otherwise if it was a filler they could have skipped over it like the Johto ep it was in.
precita is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 08:51 AM #39
> rocky505
Writer of PRLW

rocky505
Writer of PRLW

There's also a presentation of some sort tomorrow. Both Go and Let's Go were revealed in one of these.
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1133000046381752321
rocky505 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:08 AM #40
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

There was also a recent episode not aired interntationally with the Passimian being the focus. In order to connect with them, Ash made himself look like them, makeup and all, which I guess some may say looks like blackface. It's more grayish from what I remember and it is a stretch to say it is making a joke of dark skinned people when it is a freaking Pokémon disguise. It wasn't that big of an episode (a recent episode will show them for the first time internationally I assume) so no big deal but still an odd episode to ban.
zjranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote