Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:48 PM #41
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,228
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,228



SakuraRanger wrote: View Post

Btw, I donít know if this is true but some reports are saying that he killed himself... is that true?!!
Unfortunately, that does seem to be the implication of the article. "No suspicious circumstances" is journalism-talk for self-inflicted, and given the links at the bottom of the page? It's just awful, but there aren't many other conclusions to draw.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (2)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:55 PM #42
spikebuster's Avatar
> spikebuster
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 222
spikebuster
Power Ranger
spikebuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 222



Wow. R.I.P. Pua.
spikebuster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:56 PM #43
> ⚡Lord Taichi
Hen... SHIN?!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,534
32 eBay
Lord Taichi
Hen... SHIN?!
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,534
32 eBay



Yeah, thatís the way it sounds.

And I went ahead and stickied the thread. I canít do anything more than that without a computer. But weíll talk about what to do.
Lord Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 09:57 PM #44
JNTA1234's Avatar
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,041
JNTA1234
Power Ranger
JNTA1234's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,041



Peter wrote: View Post

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the implication of the article. "No suspicious circumstances" is journalism-talk for self-inflicted, and given the links at the bottom of the page? It's just awful, but there aren't many other conclusions to draw.
You mean dozens of links to suicide and depression hotlines?

Like they wanna be tactful by not flat out saying how he passed but they still feel a moral obligation (which is very nice of them) to raise awareness.
JNTA1234 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:10 PM #45
PowerPhantom245's Avatar
> PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,844
PowerPhantom245
Rookie Red Raptor Ranger
PowerPhantom245's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,844



A very sad news.
Shane was one of my favorite Red of Disney Era.
38 is so young.
RIP.
PowerPhantom245 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:10 PM #46
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,228
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,228



JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

Like they wanna be tactful by not flat out saying how he passed but they still feel a moral obligation (which is very nice of them) to raise awareness.
I don't want to drift too far off-topic, but in one of my college journalism classes, a journalist explained it that, the media used to be very wary of stating "this person took their own life" because of the idea that suicide was contagious (it might inspire other people to do so). So they developed a code. That phrase -- "no suspicious circumstances" -- is journalist-talk for saying, "this person took their own life". It was an informal rule that media outlets tend to stick to. In Australia, the rules have changed recently. There was a couple of studies that said, this talking-around-suicide habit wasn't actually helping, and might've been making the problem worse. So the discussion, in the Australian media, is a bit more open about the issue. But the report about Pua came from a Kiwi outlet, and they probably still operate under the old guidelines.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (4)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:15 PM #47
RitoRevolto's Avatar
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,434
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter
RitoRevolto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,434



Peter wrote: View Post

I don't want to drift too far off-topic, but in one of my college journalism classes, a journalist explained it that, the media used to be very wary of stating "this person took their own life" because of the idea that suicide was contagious (it might inspire other people to do so). So they developed a code. That phrase -- "no suspicious circumstances" -- is journalist-talk for saying, "this person took their own life". It was an informal rule that media outlets tend to stick to. In Australia, the rules have changed recently. There was a couple of studies that said, this talking-around-suicide habit wasn't actually helping, and might've been making the problem worse. So the discussion, in the Australian media, is a bit more open about the issue. But the report about Pua came from a Kiwi outlet, and they probably still operate under the old guidelines.
Iím unfamiliar with Kiwi media norms. But in American media, if a noteworthy person died by their own hand or police think they did, we go ahead and say as much, and typically include the lifeline number.

Typically, most suicides just donít get reported in the media at all unless the act causes a public disturbance. We donít want to glorify suicide, thatís the point of how we report on it.
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:17 PM #48
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,228
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,228



RitoRevolto wrote: View Post

Iím unfamiliar with Kiwi media norms. But in American media, if a noteworthy person died by their own hand or police think they did, we go ahead and say as much, and typically include the lifeline number.
Well, they do that in Australia now, but it's reasonably-recent change. THey only started doing that a few years ago.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:25 PM #49
prfan2002's Avatar
> prfan2002
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 151
prfan2002
Power Ranger
prfan2002's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 151



Rest in peace, Pua. Such a sad deal.
prfan2002 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:29 PM #50
Patamon's Avatar
> Patamon
Digimon of Hope
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,477
Patamon
Digimon of Hope
Patamon's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,477



damn, 38 is too young to go out on. R.I.P. Pua.
Patamon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:34 PM #51
RitoRevolto's Avatar
> RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,434
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter
RitoRevolto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,434



Doug Sloan: https://twitter.com/vrdjs143/status/...353527810?s=21
RitoRevolto is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:36 PM #52
Racer ranger's Avatar
> Racer ranger
Activate Beast Power!
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 938
Racer ranger
Activate Beast Power!
Racer ranger's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 938



damn, what an unexpected news, R.I.P. Pua.
Racer ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:38 PM #53
Storm Eagle's Avatar
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,526
Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru
Storm Eagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,526



Alitain wrote: View Post

Yeah it'll hurt next time rewatching NS. I also can't help wonder...how? Man I mean 38 is just so young... When it's that young I can't help feel it just never happens in a "good" way. Obviously the quotes cause it's not good period. Just...yeah.
Since I finished watching Hurricaneger recently, I was soon going to start revisiting Ninja Storm. I haven't started watching yet, but it will feel weird starting from the beginning knowing he's no longer with us.

R.I.P. Pua Magasiva.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:41 PM #54
Aquitar94's Avatar
> Aquitar94
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 29
Aquitar94
Power Ranger
Aquitar94's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 29



I am so hurt right now. RIP Pua.
Aquitar94 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:46 PM #55
CheckeredRanger's Avatar
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,003
CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone
CheckeredRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,003



Very nice and classy statement from Doug.I imagine this has to be tough on him.
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:46 PM #56
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,800
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger
AdrenalineRush's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2017
Posts: 7,800



I'm just shocked to hear about Pua's death and I send my condolences to his family, friends and castmates on both Shortland Street and Power Rangers.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:52 PM #57
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,228
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,228



CheckeredRanger wrote: View Post

Very nice and classy statement from Doug.I imagine this has to be tough on him.
Doug wrote a longer piece and put it up on FB, he seems pretty cut up about it.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 10:54 PM #58
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 34,383
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 34,383



I've just woken up to this tragic news. I loved Shane's character, brought to life so well by Pua's fantastic timing, in the finale when he said "we may not be Power Rangers, but we still have power" that line always resonated with me. Ninja Storm is one of those seasons that just ages so well. Horrible to lose him at such an age, it's no age at all.

Last edited by Cameron Samurai; May 11th, 2019 at 09:35 AM.
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:05 PM #59
CheckeredRanger's Avatar
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,003
CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone
CheckeredRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,003



Nakia Burrise commented on his passing on her FB page
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:07 PM #60
Zhane's Avatar
> Zhane
Aussies Rule PR '06 -'09
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,496
Zhane
Aussies Rule PR '06 -'09
Zhane's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 6,496



Here's Glenn's (Yellow PRNS) tribute to Pua

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxT72IGgldF/
Zhane is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:09 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.