82 41.41%
Votes: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 30th, 2019, 03:37 PM #141
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

JaimeZeo wrote: View Post

I can't see any of this "game changing" quality that's been put out there, nor should I pretend to.
It definitely isn't game-changing. There are only four seasons of the show ever that can boast that grand title.

But at the same time, to just throw up your hands with a hearty "How does Hasbro not get it?" when they haven't been given time to isn't fair either. There's a middle ground Beast Morphers deserves right now.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 03:50 PM #142
> RiffRanger
Justice For No One

RiffRanger
Justice For No One

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

It definitely isn't game-changing. There are only four seasons of the show ever that can boast that grand title.

But at the same time, to just throw up your hands with a hearty "How does Hasbro not get it?" when they haven't been given time to isn't fair either. There's a middle ground Beast Morphers deserves right now.
That excuse doesn’t work. Time has nothing to do with it, not when the same people are making it as would have under Saban. The show was in the absolute earliest stages of development when the buyout was finalized. Hasbro had full control over the content and tone of the season. Plus, how much time are we supposed to give them? How many botched adaptations are allowed? “There’s always the next one!” gets tiring to say, as we learned under Neo Saban.
RiffRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 30th, 2019, 03:56 PM #143
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

big smile wrote: View Post

Sentai was part of the reason I didn't suspect Nate, as GoBusters had side tech characters who didn't do anything, so I assumed Nate was one of them.
And even then. The promos spoiled us for Gold, but I don't think anyone was expecting Silver to show up in the same episode.

RiffRanger wrote: View Post

“There’s always the next one!” gets tiring to say, as we learned under Neo Saban.
People gave that exact same excuse back when "Samurai" was airing. Don't worry, it'll get better, the showrunners are still new to this, we need to give them time to find their feet, they'll figure it out, give them time...

We gave them 8 damn years. Even the one good season in the mix ended with the Rangers committing genocide.

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

It is a show for kids, written so the older audience can enjoy it too. Definitely more so than previous seasons have done. That was my point.
And my point was that is just a completely absurd thing to say.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:00 PM #144
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

In what way is beast morphers written for an older audience to enjoy?
mmprfan09 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:02 PM #145
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

The show was in the absolute earliest stages of development when the buyout was finalized. Hasbro had full control over the content and tone of the season.
But this is still a new avenue for them. When we stop being Power Rangers fans and look at this from a business perspective like they are, it's pretty senseless to think "let's fire everybody who knows how to do what we don't exactly know how to do yet". You let them work, you see what they do, then you try it for yourself.

Furthermore, as the conversation always cycles, how does one define "botched" when kids don't seem to be any less invested in Power Rangers now than they have ever been? Hell, one could argue the Nickelodeon seasons have had greater resonance from a business perspective than the latter half of the Disney seasons.
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:05 PM #146
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

I have this weird feeling that, the "more adult" aspects of Beast Morphers that are receiving praise (like character relationships that occasionally matter, like an actual threat level, like actual stakes) are things that any decent narrative should have anyway. But Ninja Steel didn't have those things, ergo Beast Morpher is given praise for clearing a bar that the last season didn't.

It's a getting a medal for participation, in other words.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:12 PM #147
> RiffRanger
Justice For No One

RiffRanger
Justice For No One

But this is still a new avenue for them. When we stop being Power Rangers fans and look at this from a business perspective like they are, it's pretty senseless to think "let's fire everybody who knows how to do what we don't exactly know how to do yet". You let them work, you see what they do, then you try it for yourself.

Furthermore, as the conversation always cycles, how does one define "botched" when kids don't seem to be any less invested in Power Rangers now than they have ever been? Hell, one could argue the Nickelodeon seasons have had greater resonance from a business perspective than the latter half of the Disney seasons.
Hasbro hand-picked Go-Busters. It wasn’t forced on them. Chip said he always wanted to adapt it. He had seven years to come up with ideas. Again, time isn’t an issue. And speaking of cycling, what happens if the next one isn’t any better? Does the excusing shift to “well, it’s their first one REALLY on their own. Give them more time to get it right!”? There’s absolutely no reason not to hold them to a decent standard right out of the gate. That’s their responsibility as owners of the brand.
RiffRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:23 PM #148
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Hasbro hand-picked Go-Busters. It wasn’t forced on them. Chip said he always wanted to adapt it. He had seven years to come up with ideas. Again, time isn’t an issue.
But that's on Chip, not on Hasbro, two different conversations. And even then, those would be ideas that would have to be worked out with a brand new company, so the concept that everything would be universally approved is an assumption on our part.

And speaking of cycling, what happens if the next one isn’t any better? Does the excusing shift to “well, it’s their first one REALLY on their own. Give them more time to get it right!”? There’s absolutely no reason not to hold them to a decent standard right out of the gate. That’s their responsibility as owners of the brand.
Enough time is enough time. The people who attack or defend universally should be thrown out by measure, but there are reasonable arguments to be made at reasonable points, now is simply not the point for the quality debate because we're still running on the well-oiled Saban Brands machine the same way Disney's Wild Force ran on the well-oiled Saban Entertainment machine.
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:46 PM #149
> Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Lordoftherangers
Power Ranger

Reminds me of at PMC when Chip was like "yeah writing this show is tough because we have to balance writing for both children and adult fans at the same time."

1. I can name other shows satisfy both kids and adults just fine so you have no excuse.

And 2. He knows that's a lie. If you asked anybody to show you where the writing for adults was in Ninja Steel they'd laugh in your face.

It is true BM is better than Ninja Steel and has had bits of competent writing especially in the premiere so I don't want people to think we're just hating on everything. But at this point it's not enough to be "better than the last season." We want it to be good on it's own merit.
Lordoftherangers is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:51 PM #150
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Aaron Hong wrote: View Post

I just wish they'd set up the appearance of the new guy properly, maybe have Nate using a sentient AI in his PDA to help him with all of his tech work, then when the time comes, use that AI as the brain of the Silver Ranger. I mean it goes with the whole Iron Man thing they were doing.
They did, more or less, set it up. Nate talked about wishing he had a brother multiple times, and had Steel's head with other equipment so he was clearly working on making him. Likely the result wasn't to make a robo ranger, but circumstances. So Steel wasn't really entirely out of the blue. But at the same time, not everything in any show/media/whatever has to have some bread crumb trail set up. Sometimes there will just be surprises.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 06:43 PM #151
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

So overall, this was a great episode but it could've certainly benefited from being a two parter. Why is this show afraid to do those now? I think they did a good job with Nate's arc and it was a creative way of having him become the Gold Ranger (it kinda reminded me of Tony Stark becoming Iron Man), but Silver Ranger felt a little rushed. Normally, I'd be more lenient and optimistic about where things are headed if we didn't have to wait six months to see more.

Last edited by Poweranimals; April 30th, 2019 at 07:24 PM.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 08:08 PM #152
> Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

Elephant
Blue Blitz Ranger, GO!

I feel as if we're in a strange transition period between Saban Brands and Hasbro. I know Hasbro fired some of the people they brought over from Saban Brands go not too long ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if the creative team behind the show all let go and replaced solely by Hasbro people. They're already doing some work with the current writing team right now, possibly to learn how things work then take over next series.
Elephant is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 08:21 PM #153
> White Genesis
Power Ranger

White Genesis
Power Ranger

Another good ep, aside from the Commander being way too chill about Nate, as others have said. The only thing the series lacks, imo, is a backstory for Evox and why he wants the Morphing Grid for himself.
White Genesis is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 10:34 PM #154
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

JaimeZeo wrote: View Post

You originally said it was written moreso for the adult audience, though, which is the part people naturally took objection with.
I do see the action of taking writing seriously and competently as being written more for adults than kids, so that may just be semantics on my part and I apologize if it's just nitpicking.

Was what I said playful? Yup. Was it insulting? Only if you want to take it that way. If you don't want to talk to me, then don't; the fact is that people DO respond to me, and most of the time its civil and with some degree of common ground; again, see my back and forths with Green.
I'm not turning your words around to say "they don't mean what you said" or invalidate what you said. I'm telling you what it sounds like, hoping you see why it comes off that way and makes people feel insulted as we've previously established you don't mean to be insulting but ultimately do still come off that way. I know you don't mean to, I'm trying not to read it that way, but things like that are what put that thought in my head as this discussion goes on.

Is it bad as an adult? Yeah. It's horrendous. What would I replace it with? I'd have Zoey not say a word and fight; she's just turned into a Power Ranger out of nowhere and she's fighting for her life. Let Nate explain all that shit either during the fight as an aside TO the audience, or after the fight to the Rangers, as exposition.
That's a fair point about the clunkiness of where it is as exposition.

Anyway, it respects the audience if the audience is ENTIRELY six year old children, as is the conversation. This board is not composed entirely of six year old children, nor are various aspects of the Power Rangers branding, and so, to expect adult fans to enjoy a show that's so juvenile and so set in its ways, yes, that's not exactly respecting that. A season that did? RPM. Done.
No, I get you think it isn't respecting the older audience, you've been clear on that, and that you like RPM. I meant, specifically, what do you consider respecting the audience? What from RPM would you describe as respect? Just the particular quality level it was able to produce? Was there a specific example you'd define respect by or a specific example you'd define disrespect by in the current season? It'd probably make more sense to me or at least for me to get your perspective if you had that kind of example to go by.

Once again, how would I like to see it improve? Replace the entire creative staff. Chip Lynn isn't capable of anything beyond average when left to his own devices, and I've explained why multiple times. Bring in fresh blood, be it fans who grew up on the franchise or relatively experienced writers looking to add their own spin on things.

RPM. The 2017 movie. Solid examples of why I feel that's the right move.
Though Chip did RPM too, so that just seems somewhat contradictory. I assume you mean the Eddie parts though, and yeah, I see why that's the bar to aim for. But it does make your other point a bit murky. Replacing staff by itself is not an automatic improvement, but finding people who know the franchise to run the franchise is a good way to do such a change up. Although, going with RPM, it was Chip who took over when Eddie was let go. So if your problem is Chip, that may be the wrong example to use for this scenario.

Though, I meant was there a specific thing in the show you would see improved, either with new showrunners or just wanting existing ones to do something better? Just "new people in charge" sounds really vague otherwise.

So I clearly HAVE watched it, and therefore know what my issues are with it, and continue to struggle to identify what it is that people are so enthused about, because those reasons simply aren't there in the way a lot of people - not all - have described.
Ok, I may have misunderstood parts of that and that's my mistake then. The reasons given though are there, for those people giving those reasons. They may not be your reasons, and you may not agree with them, but you can't really say they aren't there if others see them there. That just implies a disagreement about what counts as those reasons to different people, then.

I’ve been saying all along that there’s nothing wrong with holding the show to its own standards. “It’s a kids show; this is just how kids shows are now...” is a very lame, lazy excuse. The show can be and has been better. There’s no logistical reason for it to not be. It doesn’t cost more to have better writing. This lack of quality is a choice being made.
"This is a kids show" is not an excuse for writing poorly by any means. It is a valid explanation for why some explicitly kid aimed things exist in the show though. Those are two different arguments in the end.

That excuse doesn’t work. Time has nothing to do with it, not when the same people are making it as would have under Saban. The show was in the absolute earliest stages of development when the buyout was finalized. Hasbro had full control over the content and tone of the season. Plus, how much time are we supposed to give them? How many botched adaptations are allowed? “There’s always the next one!” gets tiring to say, as we learned under Neo Saban.
Presumably more than 8 episodes.

The characters, the continuity, the ongoing storylines, the world building details, the talking to the audience not at the audience method of storytelling, the in story logic. It's not perfect, but there are many great things in it I find to be more of an older audience level writing quality.

Specifically I'd like to focus on the continuity between episodes. Events carry over, it's not just a moral of the day and done story, things have value and consequence episode to episode. Nate got reprimanded for being outside alone, it comes up again and plays a major part of this episode and his actual ranger build up. Nate mentioned wanting a brother or family, it comes back. We saw a helmet prop that came back as foreshadow. Nate's whole lead up to becoming Gold is a well done story, especially for Power rangers in general. I genuinely can't remember the last good build up for a side character to become a sixth ranger since maybe Eric or Cam, I guess RJ maybe. Any other time it's been an outsider brought in, and they generally get introduced as the sixth. It's kind of a rarity to get an established character become a ranger in PR, and I like that approach as it feels more fleshed out and natural to the story, especially if they have extra characters getting fleshed out already. It feels like a great example of something written for an older audience to enjoy as the older audience would presumably enjoy fleshed out characters not just new toys in my opinion.

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

So overall, this was a great episode but it could've certainly benefited from being a two parter. Why is this show afraid to do those now? I think they did a good job with Nate's arc and it was a creative way of having him become the Gold Ranger (it kinda reminded me of Tony Stark becoming Iron Man), but Silver Ranger felt a little rushed. Normally, I'd be more lenient and optimistic about where things are headed if we didn't have to wait six months to see more.
They've kind of been doing it very serialized this season so far anyway. While not exactly pick up where they left off two parters, everything's been fairly ongoing and continuing from something established beforehand so far.

I think they avoided direct 2 parters mostly due to the Nick scheduling and way Nick treats two parters of anything though. A two parter is a special event on Nick, for PR it would just be a 2 part episode nothing special. It is weird to notice how few 2 parters there are anymore though.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 01:05 AM #155
> Visser Three
Power Ranger

Visser Three
Power Ranger

Steel? Really? That's the best name you could come up with? He's based on a beetle, so base his name on that, hell, call him a freaking Beetleborg if you have to. Anything could have been better than calling him a name as generic as Steel. Ugh, it's gonna be Keeper all over again.
Visser Three is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:19 AM #156
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Visser Three wrote: View Post

Anything could have been better than calling him a name as generic as Steel.
Because Smash definitely wasn't the most generic name you could give a gorilla...
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:46 AM #157
> Visser Three
Power Ranger

Visser Three
Power Ranger

Because Smash definitely wasn't the most generic name you could give a gorilla...
All this proves is that all of their names suck.
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:46 AM #158
> NonExistent
VIP Rider

NonExistent
VIP Rider

It was either Smash or Jungle Boogie Larry.
NonExistent is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 10:50 AM #159
> Visser Three
Power Ranger

Visser Three
Power Ranger

Here's a question, if Devon loves video games why doesn't he call Smash Donkey Kong or DK? If you want to show his supposed gamer traits, then that's how you would go about doing it.
Old May 1st, 2019, 11:21 AM #160
> NonExistent
VIP Rider

NonExistent
VIP Rider

Visser Three wrote: View Post

Here's a question, if Devon loves video games why doesn't he call Smash Donkey Kong or DK? If you want to show his supposed gamer traits, then that's how you would go about doing it.
Because of the legal barriers involved. I doubt Hasbro wants to deal with Nintendo who are notorious at the Japanese headquarters at least for being very stringent on such things.
NonExistent is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote