Home Menu

Menu

Old June 9th, 2019, 11:26 AM #41
> BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

How's the next chapter coming along? Can't wait to see what's next.
BrownRangerKev is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old June 11th, 2019, 07:42 PM #42
> fb111a
Power Ranger

fb111a
Power Ranger

Chapter 19

It had taken a few minutes for Tommy and the other rangers to explain to Dex the situation with Hal. Dex listened, then asked other questions. Then he learned about the authorization Kat had been given.

“It sounds like you’ve been observing him carefully,” he said. “Still, that fight with the Tengas…”

“No kidding, it was brutal. If it had been a Power Ranger… well, I think both Zordon and I would be having long talks with that person,” Tommy said. “But Hal wasn’t. He was just a person who decided that the only way those Tengas would get Kat was if they went through him. That’s a lot of courage - and he put it all on the line for her.”

“I agree, but I’m sure my grandfather would be quite concerned with the brutality, nonetheless. That being said, she does seem happy with him. It does seem a little strange to me,” Dex said. “So, he doesn’t know she’s a Power Ranger yet. Does she know…”

“She knows he’s been in dogfights,” Rocky said.

“He’s told her that as Kat,” Tommy said. “The Pink Ranger knows more. Apparently, he was once scrambled to deal with a Machine Empire gear ship that was descending while we were fighting a monster. We managed to take out that monster in time to also handle the gear ship.”

“Scrambled?” Dex asked. “But how could…”

There was a look on Tommy’s face.

“Those F-16s were nuclear-armed,” Dex said, realizing that the Rangers already had a close call.

“Their primary tactic would be to fire a pair of AIR-2A Genie rockets,” Billy said. “The warheads are small – about one-twelfth the yield of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Certainly enough to take out the gear ship, but…”

“The problem isn’t the yield, Billy,” Dex explained. “It’s still a nuclear weapon, and it still triggers obligations under the Miranoi Accords.”

“We know,” Billy said. “We were fortunate. We were able to get in contact with the Air Force and wave the planes off. The pilots were relieved to be waved off, I might add.”

“How did you… oh, Hal told Kat,” Dex said, his mind racing. “Wait… they were relieved to be waved off that nuclear strike?”

“They were, at least Hal was,” Tommy said. “We think that General Norquist of NORAD, which commands the forces at Angel Grove, felt relief at being able to call them off.”

“Our best guess at this point is that they see the nukes as an option in case we fail,” Billy said. “When they have been more aggressive, it has been with conventional weapons only.”

Dex pondered the revelation, then he cracked a bit of a smile.

“This may give me an opening,” Dex said. “Zordon, can you help me get in contact with King Lexian?”

* _ * _ *

“How bad?” Hal asked.

“Some new enemy fighter jumped a flight of Hornets out of MCAS El Toro,” Martin said. “Three down, so far only one pilot recovered.”

“Damn,” Wally breathed. “Did we get a visual?”

“Description said it looked like a MiG-17. The surviving Hornet got some video,” Martin replied. “Once we have that, we’ll be sure.”

“Then they found who they were looking for at Hai Dong. The paint job on my F-16?” Hal asked.

“Bumped to the top of the list,” Martin said. “You really don’t have to do this…”

“I’m not eager to send someone else to try out my bright idea,” Hal said. “In any case, I have the top score against the Machine Empire.”

Martin nodded, conceding the point.

“Very well, we’ll advise General Norquist.”

Hal went to the locker room to shower and get ready for what would be a dinner and study date with Kat. He got dressed, pulling on a pair of cargo pants, a T-shirt, and buttoning up another shirt as well. He left it untucked.

That allowed him to conceal a pouch with a Leatherman Wave multi-tool that was threaded through his belt. In his wallet went a credit card-sized multi-tool. His shirt pocket got a Takeflight Tactical Pen. Another pocket had a roll of quarters. In his backpack, he had a small survival kit, as well as a pair of multi-tools, one based on a wrench and another based on a hammer.

The fight with the Tengas and the encounter with the Cogs had him convinced that he’d need to be more ready. Still, while he was able to carry a standard-issue M9, he figured it might not be prudent to have that for now. Add all that to what was a new brown belt in Krav Maga, and he figured that the next time, he’d fare better against the Tengas.

They’d be putting him on ground alert – Showtime 100. Wally would be on his wing, Showtime One-Two. He wouldn’t tell Kat about that part. No need to worry her. Then it hit him. He’d head over to the Angel Grove Library.

* _ * _ *

Kendrix Morgan was a very precocious seven and was waiting to check out some science books – AP chemistry and physics. Her mom had tried to get her involved in a more channeled interest in science after she’d caught her making a potato gun with instructions from the internet.

Thankfully, Billy Cranston’s science club had been a good outlet, and Billy had taken time to mentor Kendrix. She’d been building a voice match device, and Billy had been impressed. She’d even decided to use it on random people.

Like the guy who asked for the book “Fox Two.” She looked – he was kind of handsome. She watched him leave, then shrugged. Maybe she’d also show Billy the modified scanner – she was picking up some of the dogfights. Maybe that would be interesting to him…
fb111a is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 06:14 AM #43
> BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

Good stuff. I wonder what will happen when he finds out Kat already knows more than shes letting on. Interesting dynamic.
BrownRangerKev is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:51 PM #44
> fb111a
Power Ranger

fb111a
Power Ranger

BrownRangerKev wrote: View Post

Good stuff. I wonder what will happen when he finds out Kat already knows more than shes letting on. Interesting dynamic.
Yes... Kat will have to figure that part out...

Then again... it may not be as big an issue as some might think...
fb111a is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote