Home Menu

Menu

Old September 20th, 2017, 11:29 PM #21
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

GalaxyRed wrote: View Post

I could see Melissa Joan Hart playing as one of Sabrina's aunts in this. She's old enough now.
No, thanks! I don't want her on the new show at all, she's not a good actress! I watched the old Sabrina for Hilda, Zelda and Salem (and Libby and Valerie when they were on), Melissa Joan Hart was just awkward on screen and never convincing.
If they have to bring her in they can do it for a one off non speaking cameo but not a regular part.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 12:01 AM #22
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

The 90s Sabrina was such as fun loving cotton-candy type of show. How could they even fathom turning that into horror? What's next? Reboots of Father Dowling and Murder She Wrote where the main characters are murdering vigilantees? Touch by an Angel reworked as a demon hunter?

Last edited by big smile; September 21st, 2017 at 12:11 AM.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 12:09 AM #23
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

big smile wrote: View Post

The 90s Sabrina was such as fun loving cotton-candy type of show? How could they even fathom turning that into horror.
Because it's better that way

Seriously, read it! One of the best comics I've read in a long time.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 12:41 AM #24
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

My first impressions, based solely on that image, is that it reminds me of Silver and the Warehog from the Sonic videogames, where they had new ideas which they didn't deem would be successful and so tacked them onto an existing brand even though that brand didn't suit it. But yes, I should probably read the comic before making such judgements.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 03:02 AM #25
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Shouldn't they let the comic get a little further in before they adapt it into a series? We're only on #8.

And yes, the comic gets INSANELY disturbing.

We see Harvey and his parents being graphically eaten alive; the story of why Sabrina's mother isn't in the picture is heartbreaking; and Salem's origin story (and the event that gets him turned into a cat) is downright scary, especially when they reveal what became of Salem's son; and it's stated the Spellmans are flesh eaters who dine on corpses.
BobbyDrake2000 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 03:42 AM #26
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Shouldn't they let the comic get a little further in before they adapt it into a series? We're only on #8.

And yes, the comic gets INSANELY disturbing.

We see Harvey and his parents being graphically eaten alive; the story of why Sabrina's mother isn't in the picture is heartbreaking; and Salem's origin story (and the event that gets him turned into a cat) is downright scary, especially when they reveal what became of Salem's son; and it's stated the Spellmans are flesh eaters who dine on corpses.
It's been mentioned before, but just cause they say they're adapting it doesn't necessarily mean they're keep all the graphic stuff with it. Nor that they're going to follow the comic that closely that it matters whether the comic is far along or not. It could be that they're just using it as a basis to set a general serious, somewhat dark theme and using some elements to kick things off. Also remember it doesn't sound like the show is coming out this season, or if anything it'll be like a summer premiere perhaps but likely not till next fall. That gives the comic a year to get a little farther, then from there it's season by season. Looking it up, there're 8 issues so far which yeah isn't much, but again there's still time. But I imagine they're just using it as a basis, a framework, for the show and the show will do it's own thing so it wont matter much.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 05:52 AM #27
> shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

shoujoaifan01
Power Ranger

All of the above, and hopefully there's more Spellmans than just Sabrina that are likeable, because love or hate the horror & dark comedy of the comic, there's not alot of sympathetic characters to go around.

The audience can probably buy a darker Sabrina , but tone down to a PG-13, and REALLY lean into the description of " protect her family from evil", aka make sure her aunt's are not evil like the in the new book, and have Salem still be a wisecracker. From there then they can lean into "Supernatural With High School Girls" by have the darker elements be the villians, rather than crushing audiences with apathy will how screwed up Sabrina's new comic family is.
shoujoaifan01 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:28 AM #28
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

shoujoaifan01 wrote: View Post

All of the above, and hopefully there's more Spellmans than just Sabrina that are likeable, because love or hate the horror & dark comedy of the comic, there's not alot of sympathetic characters to go around.

The audience can probably buy a darker Sabrina , but tone down to a PG-13, and REALLY lean into the description of " protect her family from evil", aka make sure her aunt's are not evil like the in the new book, and have Salem still be a wisecracker. From there then they can lean into "Supernatural With High School Girls" by have the darker elements be the villians, rather than crushing audiences with apathy will how screwed up Sabrina's new comic family is.
Then again they didn't did The Circle(I think that was the title) a chance which was a darker themed 'magic kids in HS' kinda show. Shame though, but yeah we'll see. I also just can't imagine CW would lean too dark and horrific, they have different standards and stuff than a comic does. I could see, just based on what people have said here, one or more of the aunts probably having done some bad stuff in the day whether in the name of protecting the family or someone or not. Or Salem being a bad person forced to repent as a cat, so it's not like he'd be up to anything really evil probably just have some evil-minded comments now and then. Like how the old Salem would talk about his time dominating the world or how he'd still want to rule the world or whatever, but in a more serious frame. Could easily work.

And if we're talking fun cameos, even though it has nothing to do with Sabrina but since we're getting to that time, just toss in Bette Midler for the hell of it, haha! But no seriously, I can't imagine they wouldn't get Melissa in somewhere, it just wouldn't make sense. Though I don't really need her as a big cameo or even recurring character, but yeah something would be fun.
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:33 AM #29
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Yeah, looking at the comic, I think the CW's first note is most likely going to be "Yeah... you're going to kind of need to tone down the Satan worshipping. This is making Supernatural look like Muppet Babies."
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:05 AM #30
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Well, RAS is the showrunner of the show, and also the writter of this comic, so I don't think there's a problem.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 09:07 AM #31
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

big smile wrote: View Post

My first impressions, based solely on that image, is that it reminds me of Silver and the Warehog from the Sonic videogames, where they had new ideas which they didn't deem would be successful and so tacked them onto an existing brand even though that brand didn't suit it. But yes, I should probably read the comic before making such judgements.
And to be fair, it's not like this whole thing isn't entirely out of nowhere or tacked on. Archic Comics has been going out of their comfort zone for these alternate take on their three beloved properties, and they've been very smart in ensuring that this is an entirely different beast. It's not like they just suddenly took the main Archie comic and just suddenly went into WTH territory.

Reading issue 1 of Chilling Adventures was like looking at a car accident; so disturbing and yet your damn curiosity gets the better of you.
Xalfrea is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:56 AM #32
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

So is it actually an Adaptation or are they just using the name? Because I could see them wanting to Arrowverse the crap out of this with Riverdale and since the comic isn't modern day that'd be kinda weird.

Now if they use Madame Satan like the comic did that'd be fun if they tried to spin that off into a Mighty Crusaders/Dark Circle type show.

I do want to check this out way more than I ever did Riverdale though so I'm interested.
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:01 AM #33
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

It'd be funny if they got Dylan Sprouse to come on the show to play either Harvey or Ambrose (assuming they decide to use him here like they're doing in the comic) to keep the 'Suite Life' theme going, with Cole on Riverdale and Kim Rhodes on Supernatural/Wayward Daughters when that show officially gets picked up.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 03:14 PM #34
> Gerky
Banned

Gerky
Banned

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

Why? It would be interesting for her to make a cameo in the new Sabrina series.
She's a terrible actress (the worst on the old sitcom). The original show doesn't hold up particularly well I found (especially after the season 2), and she was easily the weakest link through it all. I'd find her way more distracting than I do Sideshow Luke Perry or Molly Ringwald (which is not at all for the latter).
Gerky is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:20 PM #35
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Gerky wrote: View Post

She's a terrible actress (the worst on the old sitcom). The original show doesn't hold up particularly well I found (especially after the season 2), and she was easily the weakest link through it all. I'd find her way more distracting than I do Sideshow Luke Perry or Molly Ringwald (which is not at all for the latter).
It's most likely that a new actress will play her in this take but I would definitely like to see her making a cameo in the new show, whether it's a non-speaking one or not. It's quite unfortunate that the show and the animated shows are now remembered than the comics itself.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:48 PM #36
> PR Master
Ranger of Power

PR Master
Ranger of Power

If it was a sitcom, I would watch it as I used to watch the old ones. But if it is going to be horror then forget it.

What would the new series be like without sweet Sabrina and the hilarious talking cat, Salem? It would be too different and fans of the older series will most likely not watch it.
PR Master is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:28 AM #37
> AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

PR Master wrote: View Post

If it was a sitcom, I would watch it as I used to watch the old ones but if it is going to be horror, then forget it.

What would the new series be like without sweet Sabrina and the hilarious talking cat, Salem? It would be too different and fans of the older series will most likely not watch it.
Well, that's because it's based on the recent comic book series and I'm guessing that you haven't seen Riverdale.
AdrenalineRush is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:35 AM #38
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

AdrenalineRush wrote: View Post

Well, that's because it's based on the recent comic book series and I'm guessing that you haven't seen Riverdale.
Or the recent dramatic reboot of the Archie comics by Mark Waid (although Archie responded to fan protests of that change by releasing a more "traditional" series in the form of "My Pal Archie" by Ty Templeton)
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 05:42 AM #39
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

If it was a sitcom, I would watch it as I used to watch the old ones. But if it is going to be horror then forget it.

That's a big assumption there, about older fans. I enjoyed the original show(well except for the post-HS seasons...but anyways!) but that doesn't mean I wont check this out. Who cares if it's something different. And really, most likely it'll be a similar tone to Riverdale except with magic and maybe a little darker theme if they include monsters or something, hard to say at this point. But you're not going to get anything too gruesome or dark being CW.
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:49 AM #40
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

I'm a fan of the older series and I'm interested in this. Sabrina can be versatile hell the Comics have been Archie style Comedy, Manga/Anime inspired adventure and Chilling Adventures is straight horror.

Sabrina's a character and a world I'm way more interested to see played with than Riverdale's "What if Archie was a generic Teen Drama" nonsense.
SonicBlueRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote