Home Menu

Menu

Old March 31st, 2017, 03:24 PM #61
> Blue Knightwolf
Banned

Blue Knightwolf
Banned

In for Scar or the hyenas being gay now.
Blue Knightwolf is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:51 PM #62
> Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

Nasaniaru wrote: View Post

This will look real and because of it, it will feel even more real than the cartoon.
Real in the sense that it'll just be two CGI lions slapping each other around showing absolutely no impact of what they're actually doing because it's a kids movie.

To sum up, it all comes down to these three following questions:
1. Did you enjoy the original Lion King?
2. Did you enjoy the photorealistic Jungle Book?
3. Do you have faith that this team can hit it out of the park again with the characters, and plot progression?
My reply is that The Lion King is not The Jungle Book. The Jungle Book is a movie that features a couple of songs that are then cut down into even shorter versions for the 2016 version. The Lion King is an actual musical and if they're worth their they'll bring that forward and incorporate even more so with the large additions they did for the Broadway Musical and correct their mistake of not using anything from Broadway for BatB.

If you answered yes to all three, then bringing the original story of The Lion King into a world that looks much more real than the original cartoon, every drama beat will be intensified, and every triumph of the characters that you are rooting for will be all the more rewarding because it will be as if you are actually seeing these events fold out in "The Real World" now. And as for theatrical visuals, I can't wait to see that final battle. It will be emotionally intense. And I hope that if you see it, you get as much out of it as I hope to get out of it myself, if not even more so.
Why? I don't need things to be in "The Real World" to experience the emotional depth of the events of a movie. Toy Story, Up, Wall-E, etc don't need to be "real" for it to feel real. To try to pretend this is anything but a gimmick to ride the coat tails of their most successful movie is to be naive.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 03:06 AM #63
> Xeros
Power Ranger

Xeros
Power Ranger

Well most people will probably still watch The Lion King remake out of nostalgia.
Xeros is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:15 AM #64
> RedRobin
Genius Schmuck

RedRobin
Genius Schmuck

Gay lions? Might as well.
RedRobin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:44 AM #65
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Xeros wrote: View Post

Well most people will probably still watch The Lion King remake out of nostalgia.
Yup.

There's really not more to it than that. Over the last 10 years, damn near every attempt made by Disney to launch a new live action blockbuster series has bombed. Prince Of Persia, John Carter, Lone Ranger, Tomorrowland, even Tron Legacy didn't do THAT well.

If you're Disney, why would you keep pumping money into untested franchises that keep losing money, when you can remake the old stuff to the tune of billions of dollars? They're a business. We probably wouldn't be seeing the 5th Pirates Of The Carribbean movie this year if a couple of their other live action ventures did well.
Spoony Spoonerson is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 11:11 AM #66
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

And, well, I guess the success of the MCU movies probably is a sticking point to the execs at Disney in that in-house, Disney can't apparently make a successful live action franchise without getting Marvel involved.

Less about the money and more about personal pride. Probably.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 12:49 PM #67
> Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

I'd be absolutely up for all these remakes if they'd actually bring something new to the story instead of just something new to technology. Sadly except for Maleficent they don't really seem to be interested in doing that...
Old April 1st, 2017, 02:33 PM #68
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Xenotome wrote: View Post

I'd be absolutely up for all these remakes if they'd actually bring something new to the story instead of just something new to technology. Sadly except for Maleficent they don't really seem to be interested in doing that...
But these movies aren't for "us". You get that, right?

These movies are for the current generation of kids who might not have otherwise seen the animated versions.

The Jungle Book came out in 1967. While we likely grew up on it due to the combination of our parents nostalgia and it hitting home video in the early 90s.

Dumbo? 1941.

These movies are OLD, why wouldn't Disney want to make versions that appeal to today's kids.
Old April 1st, 2017, 03:22 PM #69
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

These movies are OLD, why wouldn't Disney want to make versions that appeal to today's kids.
I thought the whole reason for the "Disney Vault" thing was so they could re-introduce old movies to newer generations?

Unless if all these remakes are an on-the-sly admittance by Disney that the Vault isn't working anymore?
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 03:52 PM #70
> Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

But these movies aren't for "us". You get that, right?

These movies are for the current generation of kids who might not have otherwise seen the animated versions.

The Jungle Book came out in 1967. While we likely grew up on it due to the combination of our parents nostalgia and it hitting home video in the early 90s.

Dumbo? 1941.

This is a joke right? There's barely a child alive who's not seen Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc.

These movies are for us. It is for literally everybody. You can't aim a movie made for hundreds of millions of dollars at any one demographic.
Old April 1st, 2017, 04:13 PM #71
> Kyle16
Figuring it out

Kyle16
Figuring it out

Its not like these movies age. The only aspect that does is dated references. Aladdin is the biggest offender here (not that I'm complaining). But the lion king and beauty & the beast? I struggle to find more than a few jokes that modern audiences wouldn't get /appreciate.

Last edited by Kyle16; April 1st, 2017 at 07:42 PM.
Kyle16 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 05:16 PM #72
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Xenotome wrote: View Post

This is a joke right? There's barely a child alive who's not seen Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, etc.

These movies are for us. It is for literally everybody. You can't aim a movie made for hundreds of millions of dollars at any one demographic.
Sorry, you wanna give me those statistics you're quoting there?

Of course you can make hundreds of millions of dollars off one demographic! The parents have to see it with the kids, literally doubling the sales. You think a middle aged couple went and saw Ice Age 5 last year? Me neither, and it made $400 million. I'd wager nearly every dollar of that was from family visits. Frozen? That's squarely a kids movie with no nostalgic value to adults, and made big bank.

Kyle16 wrote: View Post

Its not like these movies age. The only aspect that does is dated references. Aladdin is the biggest offender here (not that I'm complaining). But the lion king and beauty and beauty and the beast? I struggle to find more than a few jokes that modern audiences wouldn't get /appreciate.
In the same way that The Force Awakens was just Episode IV repackaged for a new generation who hadn't seen the original, these movies are neat repackagings for this one. It's not a knock against the originals. These are stories that have been told and told again for a couple hundred years, 70 or so years is a very respectable time to wait before telling the story again.
Old April 1st, 2017, 06:05 PM #73
> Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

Frozen? That's squarely a kids movie with no nostalgic value to adults, and made big bank.
Frozen was insanely popular with many age ranges.

In the same way that The Force Awakens was just Episode IV repackaged for a new generation who hadn't seen the original
Except that it wasn't? It had many allusions to it, but to call it a straight up repackaging is pretty incorrect.

these movies are neat repackagings for this one. It's not a knock against the originals. These are stories that have been told and told again for a couple hundred years, 70 or so years is a very respectable time to wait before telling the story again.
The Lion King is literally 23 years old. BatB is 26. And comparing any of those films, even Frozen, to their original sources are largely night and day. Comparing these new remakes to their original Disney versions? You get largely the same movie. Remakes are fine if you actually want to do something new, these movies aren't really much of anything new. They're not willing to be, they're literally just licenses to print money because they have the built in audience already. Do you honestly think BatB would of made anywhere near the amount of money that it did if it wasn't off the back of the 1991 movie? Because the response to the new movie overall seems to be "Meh, it was alright."

What's worse is that they just did this whole song and dance with these properties barely 5 years ago when they re-released The Lion King, BatB, & The Little Mermaid all in 3D back into theatres. Then we've got all of the constant re-releases on DVD & Bluray. We've got all of the children's clothing decked out in these characters. These properties have literally never gone away for people to not seen them growing up.

The older films (Jungle Book, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Dumbo, etc.) go ahead and remake them. There's a lot of difference between the world of then and the world of now. People are less familiar with them, but you cannot tell me the movies from the Disney Renaissance, which is what saved their company and were just released on Blu-Ray a few years ago making hundreds of millions of dollars, need repackaging.

Last edited by Xenotome; April 1st, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old April 1st, 2017, 08:30 PM #74
> Wookiepajamas
Power Ranger

Wookiepajamas
Power Ranger

Heard a rumor it will be an artistic take.. no lions... so hamlet??
I'm guessing it will be just like jungle book
Wookiepajamas is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 09:29 PM #75
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

should be very interesting to see a live-action CGI Timon and Pumba
PopCultureLover06 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:20 AM #76
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

I wonder if it will look like the stage show.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 08:12 PM #77
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Favreau teased details about the film at the 2017 Tribeca Film Festival.

“When you’re directing, you have to love [what you’re making]. You have to love it to the point of obsession,” Favreau said. “I have to live, breathe, sleep it, dream it. If I’m going to do my best work, I need to be completely immersed… you look at the material and you get inspired, and then try to update it for our time.”

“With the Disney stuff, people know even more… With Lion King, people really know [the original], and they grew up with it and it has emotional impact,” he continued. “I think about what I remember about The Lion King? I did it with Jungle Book [too]. [I asked myself], ‘What do I remember about [the 1967 version of] The Jungle Book? I remember Mowgli and the snake. I remember the snake’s eyes. I remember Baloo going down the river and Mowgli riding on him like a raft. I made a big list, and those are the images we definitely needed… and you have more latitude to shift and change those things.”

“The Jungle Book was 50 years ago, Lion King was 20, and people grew up with it in an age of video where they watched it over and over again. So, I have to really examine all of those plot points,” Favreau added. “Also, the myths are very strong in it, so you’re hitting something even deeper than the movie sometimes. What I’m trying to do is honor what was there… There are certain expectations people have.”
http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/21/jon-...on-king-movie/
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 08:17 PM #78
> Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

Xenotome
🐈#1 Cats Stan Account🐈

That's a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.
Old April 21st, 2017, 09:16 PM #79
> Jus1995
Power Ranger

Jus1995
Power Ranger

For once, I agree with Xeno. It's word salad.
Jus1995 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 11:51 AM #80
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

The film is scheduled for release on July 19, 2019. The fifth Indiana Jones movie was previously going to be released on that date.

http://comicbook.com/movies/2017/04/...ase-date-2019/
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote