Home Menu

Menu

Old December 13th, 2015, 07:25 PM #21
> TimeCrimson
Once upon a TimeCrimson..

TimeCrimson

A new thread, I see?

Scrolling through some of the photos brings back some memories, like I remember when Go-Onger was unveiled 7 years ago, and I was excited. I didn't see it, but I remember watching 2009's sentai Shinkenger and loving it. Scrolling past Jetman and Zyuranger reminds me of how I got into 90's Sentai a few years ago. It brings back some memories of childhood surprisingly, especially Go-Onger and Shinkenger. It's weird because I can't exactly relate to many people like that.

Also, I haven't got too far in Abaranger to see the weird stuff, but the characterization has been excellent thus far.

I also think that Goseiger is more interesting than Shinkenger. I remember I was excited for that and Gokaiger too, but only ended up seeing a few episodes for each. I may end up watching it soon, mainly because it reminds me a lot of one of my favorites, Gingaman.
TimeCrimson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 07:47 PM #22
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Merlin wrote: View Post

Killer told AbareBlack to give his regards to his daughter. Because she had been born after Mikoto turned good, and after he sacrificed himself, Black named her Mikoto in his honour. It's nothing like the Rije thing.
And because of the age reversal, she reverted to a state of innocence, one where she had a chance of avoiding the evils she followed, Mikoto himself included. It's kind of symbolic the way he's sort of watching over her from the afterlife.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:24 PM #23
> AshiusX
Inoue-ist

AshiusX
Inoue-ist

Ataruman wrote: View Post

I actually wrote some time back my own ideas for a Goseiger adaptation; for the most part I eliminated the "angel element" and kept the concept of them as high schoolers just fighting one foe after another, with a bit more of the foreshadowing of the final villain (won't spoil it if you haven't seen the season); plus even kept in things like Datas. It has potential to have been something more if the write PR writer came along but...we got Megaforce.
Warriors being from an alternate world( different planet, different plane of existence, etc) is not a concept that has PR really explored in great detail. That is why I like to see Goseiger adapted.

Angels concept might rub some parents off the wrong way. But a slight names changes here and there show keep the controversy down. Besides PR has worse stuffs than angels.

The multiple arc villains thing has never been done before to my knowledge. I like to see PR tackle the matter.

With everything said. This show could have easily better than the god awful first shows of the Neo-Saban era.

Last edited by AshiusX; December 13th, 2015 at 08:39 PM.
AshiusX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:51 PM #24
> Champ
Lupin Red!

Champ
Lupin Red!

Merlin wrote:
#19: 1995 - Choriki Sentai Ohranger
Plot: The Baranoia Empire, a robotic army created by the ancient civilization of Pangaea, are determined to wipe away human life and are combated by five UAOH officers using Tetrahedron super powers and Overtech Hardware.
Style: Episodic, drama, sci-fi, technology
Movie:
Vs: Choriki Sentai Ohranger: Ohre vs. Kakuranger:
Ohranger did have its own movie.
Champ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 09:06 PM #25
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Kyoryuger wrote: View Post

Ohranger did have its own movie.
No one's saying it didn't. The opening post is just lacking the placement of those movies.

On that note, the standalone movie takes place after episode 8, while the VS Special doesn't fit anywhere in the series continuity, although it creates the fewest problems between 38 and 39.
Old December 13th, 2015, 09:08 PM #26
> Faiz
In Glorious Technicolor

Faiz
In Glorious Technicolor

Seeing as how there's a new thread, might as well talk about what I'm watching currently, which is Kakuranger. I'm 10 episodes in and it's...alright. So I hope it picks up as time goes on, but it hasn't caught my interest as quickly as Gingaman did (which I'm mostly using it as an example as it's the only other 90s sentai I've watched) and the old narrator man is getting on my nerves a bit.

It is interesting seeing the difference between Sasuke and Hyuuga though, since they're played by the same actor. I feel like I won't be able to take Hyuuga as seriously if I go back to rewatch Gingaman!
Faiz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 09:44 PM #27
> Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Oceanblue
Power Ranger

Kakuranger takes a little while to get going, but it definitely picks up.

Looking back, I enjoy the innocence of that first arc.
Oceanblue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:05 PM #28
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

The way Kakuranger shifts tone, getting considerably more serious as more powerful yokai are revealed and the world's placed in a more gloomy state, is something that works, especially with the thematic reveal at the end of the series.
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:13 PM #29
> Chiron723
Power Ranger

Chiron723
Power Ranger

My only problem with Kakuranger was that Red, Blue and Yellow went from not a trace of Martial Arts ability, or natural talent for that matter, to Full fledged Ninjas with little transition in between. Same thing with Dairanger and Ryuranger. Otherwise yeah, it's a decent show.
Chiron723 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 06:11 AM #30
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ashiusx wrote: View Post

Warriors being from an alternate world( different planet, different plane of existence, etc) is not a concept that has PR really explored in great detail. That is why I like to see Goseiger adapted.

Angels concept might rub some parents off the wrong way. But a slight names changes here and there show keep the controversy down. Besides PR has worse stuffs than angels.

The multiple arc villains thing has never been done before to my knowledge. I like to see PR tackle the matter.

With everything said. This show could have easily better than the god awful first shows of the Neo-Saban era.
I don't think that a direct translation akin to Wild Force or Samurai would have worked for Goseiger. While obviously adjustments really need to be made with what Goseiger did to make it flow better, just randomly having "angels come down and fight a bunch of bad guys who don't seem connected...but are..." for a whole year wouldn't have made sense without something else to keep kids interested. While the high school thing has been played out, I actually had an idea where you at least have one of the five (the Alata proxy) have some connection to the "guardians/angels/whatever we make Gosei World" at the start (which works since the literal prologue of the series is the destruction of Heaven's Tower and the unseen first fight of Alata and Dereputa before cutting to the actual story beginning with Alata meeting Nozomu) and it is rather plug-and-play once you go from there. And while I love the concepts of the three villain groups ultimately being connected at the end, that on its own isn't enough to keep things interesting and I don't know if American audiences would have liked the "innocence" angle of the Gosei Angels, considering a lot of what they do when not fighting Warstar/Yuumajuu/Matrintis involves just exploring the world around them and understanding themselves and their mission with the help of Nozomu and Professor Amachi. Its a fine concept and it gives Goseiger charm, but I just don't think it would have worked for Power Rangers.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 01:04 PM #31
> TimeCrimson

TimeCrimson

I just realized this interesting comparison.

In Gorenger and MMPR, Tsuyoshi and Jason could be regarded in a similar manner as the first Red Ranger of their respective series. And in the second series, JAKQ and MMPR Season 2 respectively, they both have an extra White Ranger(Tommy and Sokichi) who seems to take a lot of the attention and become the leader, and kinda puts the Red Ranger to the side(Rocky and Gorou, I've read).

Kinda cool to think about it.
Old December 14th, 2015, 05:38 PM #32
> Quander
Heretic Pharaoh

Quander
Heretic Pharaoh

Saban said he tried selling Power Rangers in 1992 using Jetman...boy that would have made the series completely different!
Quander is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 06:09 PM #33
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

timegold wrote: View Post

No one's saying it didn't. The opening post is just lacking the placement of those movies.

On that note, the standalone movie takes place after episode 8, while the VS Special doesn't fit anywhere in the series continuity, although it creates the fewest problems between 38 and 39.
Thanks, I've added it. Anything else just post.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 06:18 PM #34
> yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

yami senshi youkaiou
MCU Darkhawk

I finally got around to watching Zyuranger because I wanted to finally get around to writing my Power Rangers season one fanfics,

It's a good show my only real problem is that the multi parters have a problem with pacing where it feels like they go on for one or two parts more then they should.
yami senshi youkaiou is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 06:22 PM #35
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

By the way, has anyone asked the mods to lock the last thread?

Merlin wrote: View Post

Thanks, I've added it. Anything else just post.
Bioman's movie can fit anywhere between episodes 11 and 30. It was released after episode 24, but the style of it suggests it takes place earlier rather than later.

Similarly, Denziman's movie has a wide range of placement, between episodes 8 and 26.

Turboranger's movie probably works best after episode 4.

Perhaps these should get a second opinion before being posted.
Old December 14th, 2015, 06:28 PM #36
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Denziman: It aired around the time of 25-26 and 26 refers back to it; earliest is after 8 due to a clip from that episode (the "movie fight") reairing during the recap.

Bioman movie: agreed for the most part. I like the placement where the film aired in Japan but basically once Jun is fully a part of the team (and probably after she grows her hair out of those braids she has early on, which is by the Prince arc), you're good to go; I'd say 30 is the cut-off since that's the last "Canth" era mecha with 31 introducing the Megas and all the upgrades. (I think Doctor Man upgrades himself in 26 so it may come before that too...)

Turboranger: Probably between 5-6 if you count the "10th anniversary" special as 1. The Turboranger don't have their weapons until 6 and it just airs then anyway.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 02:29 PM #37
> TimeCrimson

TimeCrimson

For all the Gokaiger fans out there(including me) I found this gem.
https://youtu.be/T85Rv1D6OWE?t=1m33s

One of the funniest things I've seen in SS folklore. Add the Gokaiger to teams I'd hang out with.
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:35 PM #38
> AngieYaz
Banned

AngieYaz
Banned

Ohranger episode 30: The Earth is Snoring

http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/E...rth_is_Snoring

This is one of my favorite episodes of Choriki Sentai Ohranger. Bara Gusuka is just too darn cute.

His(?) first two forms are the best! I felt sorry for Gusuka, though, for being mistreated by his/her own people.

Last edited by AngieYaz; December 16th, 2015 at 11:19 PM.
AngieYaz is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:33 AM #39
> Champ
Lupin Red!

Champ
Lupin Red!

So, I decided to watch the first episode of Flashman because I was very curious and I did it. It was... uh.... very interesting. I understand it has aired in 1986, but the unmorphed fight scenes.... not sure about this. Heh.
Champ is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 05:24 AM #40
> Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

Merlin
The Blowing Wind Element

The early Flash fights are more about showing off their special powers than choreography. It improves a little as they reduce the CGI use over the year, but I wouldn't call Flash one of the most snazzy seasons for fights.

I feel like Jin and Dai's actors were the only ones who really got to lay it on since Jin's powers aren't physical, and Dai's are just the usual brute lifting. Jin really had the most choreography to do and his fights are the more interesting to watch as the series goes on. But it's all the typical choppy dance routine step-by-step work that was common in 80s and 90s choreography.
Merlin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
a 40 year toy commercial, debating over spandex, destroyallchildren, liveman why have you?, nokidsallowed, thebestsentaithread, theoptimalsentaithread, xistheobjectlygoodsentai