Home Menu

Menu

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 10 20.41%
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers"
10 20.41%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 5 10.20%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3"
5 10.20%
Kamen Rider Fourze 13 26.53%
Kamen Rider Fourze
13 26.53%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 12 24.49%
12 24.49%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 8 16.33%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97)
8 16.33%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 2.04%
Other (Say what in the thread)
1 2.04%
Votes: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9th, 2019, 08:36 PM #3781
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

If there's one good thing about Takaharu, it's that there exists someone to tell him that he can't do it alone. If there's another good thing about Takaharu, he genuinely cares about others above himself. Those two were a bit in conflict here, and ultimately saving his sister was more important that whatever pride in the fight he might've had. On the other hand, he's just going to be fired up no matter what, not quite in a Natsu Dragneel way.
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 06:49 PM #3782
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Takaharu cares...he just has to have focus to do so.

-----

Transformers: Super-God MasterForce - Ep. 7: Panic! Protect the Wild Animals!!

Oh I get it: Goshooter, Goh Shuta...no wonder the other two are just "Cab" and "Minerva".

I find it rather weird how lacking in African representation there is in the Transformers franchise at this point; heck we even had better Hispanic representation in the two Tracks episodes in G1 than really any African characters! But of course with the rather simplistic view Japan tends to have of Africa, especially in the 1980s, of course an episode about Africa has to be about the animals that live there than anything to do with the people...though I do give points for this episode for trying and not being racist about it. The episode somehow involves this bizarre plan by the Decepticons to use the Seacons to burn down the African savannahs, causing animals to rampage and cause chaos while they hurt humans, forcing humans to attack them and then try to destroy nature and humanity at the same time. Its a rather bizarre plan but I guess considering the revelation of last episode that this is sort of the thing this faction of Decepticons are trying to do to destroy the life on the planet and get the Decepticons to dominate them, I suppose it sort of works. The element of "humanity" we get here is an African who works for a nearby preserve trying to help the animals there but who has a lot of doubts and problems after nearly killing a fawn during a previous rampage and thus blaming himself for it since he was trying to defend himself. It isn't your typical "coal black and red lips" African at least so that's a good thing and I do like it is an African who is caring for the preserve and not some whites who care for it with Africans backing him or acting primitive. It is somewhat progressive...but the plot is still rather bleh and boring and somehow the main Decepticon Pretenders show up only to run off at the end so it really isn't like much is accomplished other than a temporary feel that the Autobot side (human and Pretender) did good in dealing with this situation I suppose.

Jikuu Senshi Spielban: Ep. 7: The Kinclon Dance on the Mermaid Island

That random shot of the Kinclon smoking the water pipe...most random and awesome thing I've seen in a while.

Unfortunately with all the main stuff set up in Spielban, we're starting to enter into the monotonous period of random one-shots of typical variety: there's a villain plot, they do stuff and the hero (in this case, Spielban) stops it. The plot here actually is something I sort of wonder why the heck the Waller never had this sort of encounter before: the plan involves turning all the sea water on Earth into fresh water, thus wiping out life and making their emperor have an easier time in destroying the planet. Considering the various types of water they probably encountered throughout the universe, I'm just shocked that the Waller never encountered salty sea water prior and that this plan wasn't something they already had ready to deal with a planet such as Earth. Unfortunately the stupidity of the plot happens due to this concept that they have to keep people away from the island so they can get their freshwater factories up and running...and it just so happens that Daigorou and the boy Tokio from the Edison lab decide to go fishing near there and end up in a stupid plot where they are brainwashed into thinking there are mermaids there and have their brains wiped (they don't say whether it was Rikki's spies or the Kinclons that were the "mermaids" but I presume it was Rikki and friends due to there being three of them) Of course Yousuke/Spielban follows and we get the episode from here on out. The sad thing is as stupid as the plot is and as typical it is for Uehara, there are some cool elements here such as a robot that mostly walks on treads (though sadly it gains limbs later on)...though at the same time we find out Diana may have her own Crystal Clin suit to fight but she's less there to do finishers...and more to be a spare battery for Spieban, which I think is a tad sexist but...the mere fact that she has a tech suit in a MH series is at least an accomplishment so I guess we can't have progress go too fast.

=====

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: Shinobi 7: Spring Ninja Festival!

Isn't anyone going to talk about the biggest ninja threat in 2005...seriously do you know how messed up if Houka got married to one?

On April 5th, 1975, Super Sentai began with the premiere of "Himitsu Sentai Gorenger". It's rather coincidental that the entire franchise would celebrate it's 40th anniversary on the day Sentai airs in 2015...however, real world events put a stop to that due to an emergency broadcast of news associated with the execution of a Japanese citizen by the Islamic State during ToQger's endgame. Since the episode was filmed and it probably was impossible to have it air with what they aired prior, this ended up airing the week after Sentai's 40th anniversary; the footage still shows that it's April 5th to the Ninninger, but to us...well it's all the more confusing.

With that said, it probably would make little sense to have the Ninninger meet Akarenger and the Gorenger considering the priorities. However that doesn't mean we can't have Sentai alums ignored due to this special event: thus Sasuke (Teruaki Ogawa) and Yousuke Shiina (Shun Shioya) show up to be guest teachers to help the Ninninger along. Unfortunately, despite the intentions...I don't think they really work well with this episode: Sasuke and Yousuke spend the entire time being grumpy and trying to overpush the new ninjas while not really getting how they work as "ninjas who don't hide". The worst part is their treatment of Takaharu: considering what a hothead Takaharu is, you tend to forget that both NinjaRed and HurricaneRed started off the exact same way...and yet with them as the seniors, they have to treat it like it's all serious? (the funny thing is even Akarenger as a cameo at the end makes mention of that) What makes it all the stupider is that the reason the two ninjas are so protective of the Ninninger is due to the Yokai of the episode, a Nekomata yokai based on a watch (yeah...definite Yokai Watch ref, smooth move guys), supposedly killed Takaharu due to some time travel shenanigans used to try and steal the End Shuriken in 2005. The whole thing is a mess and obviously Takaharu survived...though as a funny joke, the End Shuriken wasn't even there, replaced by one of Sasuke's. I get the intent and it does try but considering the nature of the tribute and how it was just a one-shot that really ends up being NinjaRed and HurricaneRed yelling a lot and trying to be awesome to the new guys, I think somehow it misses it's mark...which as a ninja, is probably not a good thing.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 08:35 PM #3783
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

The timing was also messed up in that the second episode was supposed to air on February 22, a.k.a. Nin-Nin-Nin Day. Granted, that got the premiere, but all those grand designs for small jokes...

And speaking of grand designs, it's interesting how much came of this episode, specifically the ever recurring tale of Nekomata, and how the Kakuranger and Hurricanger Shurikens actually matter in the season. Pretty much the first time that one team has earned a long-term power, as opposed to a one-off special use, from another team.

But, while the episode might've shown how Sasuke and Yousuke matured into new roles, somehow it devolves into a role to show how Takaharu can be awesome. There's just not enough room in the episode to do a proper crossover.
Old July 11th, 2019, 07:03 PM #3784
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

timegold wrote: View Post

And speaking of grand designs, it's interesting how much came of this episode, specifically the ever recurring tale of Nekomata, and how the Kakuranger and Hurricanger Shurikens actually matter in the season. Pretty much the first time that one team has earned a long-term power, as opposed to a one-off special use, from another team.
It's weird that a series that isn't about the crossovers actually makes good use of crossover gimmicks. Maybe that's a good thing.

-----

Transformers: Super-God MasterForce - Ep. 8: Super Warriors - The Godmaster Brothers

At this point Waverider is better off entering a Hawaiian Tropic competition than hang gliding.

One of those things that we tend to end up seeing in this franchise is that there's constantly an arms race regarding what the Autobots and Decepticons use: one side get some brand new allies on their side and it's not long that the other side get something on the same lines and the battle of good and evil continues. Despite having Pretenders and Headmaster Jrs. on their side, the Decepticons haven't been doing so well with the Autobots this time around, so of course it's time for the next level of technology to emerge to give them...probably a brief boost. In this case it comes in the form of beings known as the Godmasters, who are beings who possess Chokon Power that make them superior to any living sentient being, human or robot! The main duo we meet are two brothers known as Hydra and Buster, who work together as a team and can even fuse into one fighter plane; yet we also meet two superiors to them watching over them known as Giga and Mega (and Mega finally gives us long-needed female representation on the Decepticon side), more or less with them just being around to show superiority to everyone, whether it be Pretenders, the Autobots or even humanity in crushing some fighter planes that fly over their space in the US. This is an interesting episode more or less about upping the ante with things...though at the same time, we also get some dumb plot where Squeezeplay of the Headmasters Jr. decide to interrupt a hang gliding competition to just be a jerk, probably forgetting in the process that the Autobot trio were going to be there as well (and Minerva's stuck on the sidelines...as usual...) Obviously the hype is on the new Decepticons and probably will be for a while...until the Autobots get their own Godmaster, then it will probably be back at status quo again for a while.

Jikuu Senshi Spielban: Ep. 8: Diana's Wrath·Tears·Smile

Maybe Spielban can invest in giving Diana a gun that won't just be ripped apart in five seconds?

While Spielban and Helen are the main focus of the tragedies that have been unfolding, Diana is also part of this considering her as one of the survivors of planet Clin and the concern that she has in Spielban's sister. At the same time, the Waller have realized that considering Diana shows up at the most inopportune times, her appearance ends up leading to a major factor in the robot monsters being defeated due to the difficulty in dealing with two simultaneous targets. This actually is a smart move in making a MotW with multiple faces as a means to not get distracted and allow for a full battle where it can face with both Spielban and Diana and thus make it harder for the heroes when both are fighting it at the same time. Yet despite how it's supposed to be a Spielban/Diana combined tactic, the main focus of the episode is just the Waller trying to get to Diana and eliminate her even as she tries to find Helen and thus tell her to come back. She does eventually reach Helen and the two do chat, but she runs off due to the whole fear that she would just turn into Hellvira and thus cause even more grief for the both of them; it's the typical ending at this point unfortunately and there's really nothing we can do about it. Unfortunately the fights that the mecha has with Diana is rather one-sided; as said I like that Diana has her own Metal Heroes power but considering her gun isn't as powerful as Spielban's (needing to borrow his as he uses the sword in their final battle), I really wish they would upgrade her so that the partnership can feel a bit more authentic between the two of them.

=====

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: Shinobi 8: The Nekomata Who Leapt Through Time!

OK, I think I'm with Nagi in believing you can't just write "ninja" on you work resume.

It's a bit surprising that it's taken this long to finally get a focal episode for Fuuka, however the situation this time was a bit unique: after the opener we were able to get stuff for Yakumo, Nagi and Kasumi, then had to roll right into the set-up for last episode's big Ninja Sentai get-together before we finally could get the last episode to introduce the team proper...well the team as it should be. (not counting the weirdness at the end) The thing about Fuuka is it's hard to gague her character at first because all she is is basically Takaharu's little sister, the cute imooto to go to annoying her oniichan. I see a bit of both Matsuri Tatsumi from GoGoFive and Miku Imamura from Megaranger in her, but the real focus of the episode ends up giving off vibes of a Toei character that isn't from Sentai...Nozomi Yumehara from the 4th (and 5th) Pretty Cure season, Yes! Pretty Cure 5. I say Nozomi because Fuuka is sort of like Nozomi in really being enthusiastic in what she wants to do...but has no direction in life, even compared to Nagi whom she's now going to school with due to the circumstances of the family being stuck together during the Kibaoni crisis. She has being a ninja, but that's it outside being a high schooler; and doesn't think that being a ninja is something to be proud about when she is in public with her friends and trying to act what she considers as "normal". This all comes to a test due to Nekomata, who didn't die after last time, deciding to use the Ninninger's investigation in why he won't die to sneak into the Igasaki house in hopes, once again, in finding the End Shuriken for Kyuemon, taking her friends hostage and then deciding to go back 10 years to check the original Igasaki residence (the one blown up at the start of the first episode) to see if it's there. Both Fuuka and Takaharu go back to stop him, and Fuuka...really only learns she shouldn't be embarrassed by her ninja lifestyle and just embrace who she is. It really isn't a lesson since really her entire life goal is now "ninja" just like Takaharu...but then again that's why Nozomi is the perfect comparison than anything in Sentai: she took on the goal of becoming a Cure and finding the 55 Pinkies (in the same way as the 48 Sealing Shuriken here) to find a real dream for her, and through the year ends up ultimately realizing amidst her Cure battles that she wants to be a teacher. In a way maybe the same will happen for Fuuka...or she'll just become "female Takaharu", but let's hope it doesn't get to said worst case scenario.

Oh and in a bizarre cameo, we get the earliest ever first appearance of our 6th Ranger, who is...an Engrish speaking cowboy...I have no idea what's going on anymore. (Engrish is one thing and even the cowboy thing was probably hinted by Akira/Zaram last season...but together and this early?)
Old July 11th, 2019, 07:43 PM #3785
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Ataruman wrote: View Post

OK, I think I'm with Nagi in believing you can't just write "ninja" on you work resume.
"Okay, so has anyone witnessed your work, and can they be used as a reference?"

and Fuuka...really only learns she shouldn't be embarrassed by her ninja lifestyle and just embrace who she is.
Well, they are the ninjas who don't hide, might as well not try to internally hide it from themselves, and instead live it up.

Oh and in a bizarre cameo, we get the earliest ever first appearance of our 6th Ranger, who is...an Engrish speaking cowboy...I have no idea what's going on anymore. (Engrish is one thing and even the cowboy thing was probably hinted by Akira/Zaram last season...but together and this early?)
Yeehaw, it's not the same thing as Jiraiya!
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:05 PM #3786
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Yeehaw, it's not the same thing as Jiraiya!
I did think of both Jiraiya and Shurikenger. But at least both had reasons. And still felt like ninjas in the end.

-----

POWER RANGERS: THE FRANCHISE WATCH (NINJA STORM EDITION)

Return of Thunder Pt. 1: aka: The Big Green Genius

Well they were quick to add the Thunder Rangers to the opening...not too quick but quick enough considering they weren't in the last two episodes.

Has anyone told the shop to get their hands on an HD TV to stop all that blurriness?

Factory dudes? Um Dustin, you're not turning yourself into one of those bikes.

Rodger Hanna...didn't he work with Joe Barbera? (no that's William Hanna)

Factory Blue...um, you're a Yellow and I doubt this guy is trying to recruit for surfers.

Watch this tape before they force us to switch to DVD.

Oh those two. We had a relationship, didn't work out, and I realize that I don't swing that way.

I wish we knew but...ninja secrets...by the way, we're also ninjas.

She's got this thing for...BMX?

You better remember that card, Dustin; don't just rip it up or eat it or...he'll forget by the end of the arc, won't he?

She so wants Blake she'll start getting into BMX!

Tori, you have a bike. Sure it's Ranger property but it isn't like it's that big a secret.

Tie him down and torture him...Dustin, you're that kinky.

Look next time you become a Wind Ranger, Cam will let you ride it. Then start pining for your boyfriend.

Meh whatever. But any damages come out of your salary, not mine.

Wait this desert...does this mean Blue Bay Harbor's close to Mariner Bay?

A lifeform...oh, Chuubo. He still exists.

And...there goes Chuubo. Wait...why does Lothor keep him around?

It's tasty sand, Chuubo; just embrace the flavor and all the minerals.

Wait...CHUUBO IS GOING TO CHANGE THE WORLD!? THE IDIOT THAT BARELY GETS A WORD IN EDGEWISE!?

Go to the light side. Wait since when are Power Rangers considered Light and Dark Side?

Chuubo's being so open with them...it's a trap. It has to be.

I want payback for being barely a character for the last nine episodes!

Yeah Tori wants to be a biker chick...sure we can't all just get into bikes and be a Ranger team that way too?

Tori hits harder than Shane...how can you tell?

Oh that body double is so not Tori. Nice try. (at least the close ups work)

Oh and here comes some other biker in blue...did Hunter switch places to screw with her?

At least this chase scene is more biking than most Rider series put together these days.

And remember: don't flirt or you'll hit a log and fly off.

Yeah Tori...he was wearing blue so why didn't you realize it sooner?

You were one of Lothor's goons for a while so for all we know you were one.

No call, no letter...seriously, what part of ninja duty involves calls and letters?

Oh we so broke up; no love between teammates, that's what Blue...er, Zordo...er, that guinea pig said.

Yeah if a villain suddenly appears out of nowhere and says he has intel, he's probably up to no good.

Get in? Considering last time I don't think Lothor will let them in that easily unless it's a prank.

Oh and now she has to fix the bike. Thank goodness they use Storm Cycles on duty.

Ninja leaping into a space ship...how the heck does that even work?

HI GUYS, LET'S SING SOME KARAOKE!

Come on, this is the first time Chuubo matters, let him have his moment.

Aww...he's snoring.

Yeah if you snore that loud, it has to be fake. Should have seen that.

Hate to say I told you so but...yeah, Chuubo's really that big of a boot-licker.

You'd think being ninjas they would have known to never trust...any ninja.

Hi, I'm Chuubo. Yeah I was going to betray Lothor but you fell for it like dummies.

CANDYGRAM FOR MONGO!

GENERAL!? THIS IS THE FIRST THING HE'S DONE ALL SEASON! HOW DOES THIS PUT HIM ABOVE THE OTHER GUYS!?

I think Chuubo's on a higher plane of existence: his idiocy hides the greatest criminal mind in existence.

So yeah, Pt. 1 was capture the Thunder Rangers. Pt 2...TBA.

Come on Zurgane, I thought we were a team.

The Pinata plot. Not bad but how are you going to bust them open to get the sweet stuff inside?

Wait, is it amnesia or new memories? Which is it? (and THIS is how you're going to use the rest of the Gouraiger villain footage!?)

I'd go with Zurgane's plan of instant death in space...except space is breathable in this universe and Lothor likes the "hit them in the feels" concept.

Marah and Kapri so loves men in power, even...whatever Chuubo is.

Remember, I'm the general so...wait, I'm the general?

Oh hey, Hunter and Blake are back. So this brainwashing...will it be immediate or more "let them think they're still good and then turn the tide?"

Yeah, we're making a ton of money, later doofus.

Oh come on, rubber clamps are the latest thing and Dustin so wants you to play with him...er, them.

Oh hey Kelly. I thought you were out.

Yeah I can see how Tori's more forceful than Shane.

They don't like me...(cries) I THOUGHT WHAT WE HAD WAS SPECIAL!!!!!

Impossible? Didn't you see Lothor's scene, Cam, it's possible.

Seriously, this is why you go through with the original plot instead of making up excuses to change them evil after you made them good.

Wrong side of the bed? Nah, that's just your typical alien invader ninja.

Say what? The transformation thing or where Lothor finds the "losers"?

Well now he's gone. This is just getting so confusing.

Oh great it's "The Fog". Get John Carpenter to direct this!

Hey the alien wanted ambiance; let him have it.

Taller on TV...eh, don't they say that about Tommy all the time?

Yep, we're evil again. See us on top of the scaffold.

Hey remember we were supposed to be good...well now we're not.

This feels so familiar...and what about the snail?

I hate when this sort of thing happens.

Hey if you want me to have a partner, I can split in two for both of you!

NIN...JA...POWER! (wasn't that a TMNT catch phrase?)

He lost his clothes...HUNTER'S NAKED!...or huge.

NINJA ART: FLAT COYOTE JUTSU!

Oh come on, she just offered you a shower.

Blake's really getting into the evil thing again.

WAIT, WHERE ARE YOU GOING...I was going to make espresso.

Oh great, Blake's having the shakes. Was this part of the amnesia thing?

Damn, why the heck does this have to happen as the Rangers are getting away?

I get the French can have a bit of an odor but not their escargot!

We're in California, of course we have smog control!

Wind in Wind Rangers? Don't tell me...really, that better not be how you three fight him.

Look you three don't torment the mollusk with your childishness.

Have you ever woken up...not feeling fresh?

OK that gets rid of the fog but how the heck does it get rid of the smell?

Guess you got to slice your escargot before you can serve it.

Gots to Go, yo? That's a terrible finisher.

Of course you don't want to take a warranty out, it's expendable.

OK, so now the snail's a giant; at least the Thunder brothers are back in play.

You could fight him small you know.

Isn't Shellshock a turtle monster? It doesn't work for snails.

Guess we got to go fast if he goes slow...wait he isn't slow at all?

And that's how you get the knock-back.

Um, you two are evil so...why are you joining this?

Don't just proclaim "I feel weird" with this; which is it, good or evil?

Guess the spell broke...never mind, Chuubo hit a button and they're back to normal.

Oh and let's finish the escargoon off before anything more happens.

And here we go, with another Megazord vs. Megazord fight.

At least they knew to keep the sword out to stop the pinwheel.

Of course it's working, you hit the button to keep it going.

Hope you like the beach...and tell me if you get a tan!

And then the snail shell explodes and...there they go.

Why would they want to know, Chuubo? It gets more random by the second, your plan.

Never there? Don't you hae tracers on those three?

I have no idea what he was doing but it worked.

Hey Chuubo, hope you haven't seen Independence Day.

That's Marah...AND HER HAIR IS HOTTER THAN MINE!

Really ninja tech is never as good as alien tech. You'll never match the Command Center in random location finding.

Where am I...and why is my shirt so puffy?

WHERE AM I...WAIT HOW THE HECK DID I JUST SEE THE WHOLE EARTH!?

Thoughts: I get the footage they already used for the "Thunder Rangers" arc last time around, but considering the length and complexity of the situation with the Gouraiger, why did they need to find an excuse to make them evil again? The only thing to really come out of it is that Chuubo somehow has finally taken notice by Lothor and is doing things that are actually working compared to the previous villains. I'm not sure if this was intentional but it feels bizarre he went from barely saying or doing anything to just being this super-genius on such a level that Lothor is telling Zurgane he's better than him over and over. It's really weak to give this sort of excuse to making them evil again and the whole thing with the snail monster just felt rather bizarre and only an excuse to set up for the island arc starting next time...really it just feels very, very confusing.

Return of Thunder Pt. 2: aka: Changing Seasons

Oh and meanwhile the whole of Blue Bay Harbor is trapped in Silent Hill. GOOD LUCK IN DEALING WITH YOUR FEARS!

Heating oil? Well at least we get a lesson on energy efficiency.

Oh I have fur so this cold snap means nothing.

Why the heck do other Ranger teams have more precise tech than we do?

That was not a comfortable place to sleep, Tori.

Oh and Dustin was here too...wait why were they there and Shane wasn't? (and can someone clear up the 250 thing?)

Oh there's Shane...and his shirt isn't puffy anymore.

Yep, it's an island. Lothor's plan: use climate change to drown them....oh and no cell service either.

What explanation? Does Tori know about their brainwashing?

You didn't see Blake...um, Tori, you have the hots for him, so anything you say is invalid.

Screw you, lovergirl, I'm going to get off this island even if I start talking to volleyballs!

I wouldn't want to turn a Green Ranger into a Red one, Dustin. Last time that happened, we got some idiot who got Dear John letters and Native American mumbo jumbo and they were called arcs.

Logical reason? Logic and pissed Shane don't mix, Tori.

Oh great, more blurs. Are Hunter and Blake trying to screw with our minds?

The island may be small but there's quite a huge forest in it.

I saw something...oh hey you two, did you see two blurs?

Three vs two? Depends...how strong are the two?

You were barely teammates before it fell apart so it isn't like you're really working together.

Yeah I think the bugs aren't just their symbols; I definitely think it's up the Bradleys' butts.

Finally, it stops swirling and it gets to action!

Let's stop taunting like ninjas an d start fighting like them!

About time Shane and Hunter get at it with each other, and it's a good fight.

CGI SHOCKWAVE...I hate when that happens.

If I have to go down, I'm taking you with me.

And the other two are going nowhere with Blake other than their mutual crushes.

You hit their non-morpher wrists?

Oh great it's one of those super-speed Dragon Ball battles...do we have to?

And back to the beach. At least they remember where they are.

Morphed battles are always more fun than regular Ninja fights.

That was taking it easy?

Well this feels familiar. But hey it's with weapons now.

MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS...er, my blaster.

It's hilarious that he's throwing shuriken but it emerges as "beams".

Of course he'd shock him...Thunder ninjas and all that.

AROUND AND AROUND AND AWAY WE GO!

Yeah I liked them...I liked them before but the brainwashing adds something.

Cold? I thought the plan was causing the freeze...or is it just space?

Why do I see my...oh, breath, I thought he said...yeah.

If it was going to give a cold front then why not send them to the Aleutians? Why the middle of the Equatorial Pacific?

Democracy is always a problem; this is why I prefer noble dictatorship.

Just be happy Flurious isn't around or else you'd really have a cold front.

Chuubo, I just wanted dead Rangers, I didn't want the final episode of "Dinosaurs!"

Man it really is the final episode of Dinosaurs. So when do you think the apocalyptic ice age temperatures begin?

Really sensei should have been a Capybara. Like Speak from The Tick.

Yeesh we have such a small world, the Rangers can't be completely lost.

Nah it's not time to say goodbye...not until after this commercial.

Group therapy...isn't therapy more a Transformers thing?

Of course you like dirt; you have the POWER OF EARTH!!!

Oh you get on the riding thing. That's not going to make him happy.

Yeesh, Chuubo's brainwashing is rather pathetic if Hunter keeps breaking out of it.

Dustin...friend...and a whole lot more.

Don't contemplate when you're about to be hit by ninja lasers!

Oh so we show the aftermath and not the actual hit? Come on, if they're enemies then just show them being hit by it!

And again with the "NIN-JA-POWER" thing...just hit them with swords and get it done.

I'm sick of desert islands. Why not a beautiful mountain resort?

Yeah...so how does this "regain memory" thing work, Lothor?

New idea...um...uh...OK, here.

Zurgane, ignore the ditzes and fix the heating system on the ship.

Not a real general? Then why did Lothor proclaim him one?

More beams...not sure what but...maybe Marah and Kapri want to be "beamed".

Where are we...and why do our helmets do the same thing as theirs?

Well they're fine so...oh wait, here comes Chuubo again.

Bug suits? Chuubo, there are no Riders on this island, give up.

Yeah I can't lose you two so...here's another snail monster.

Oh so that explains the gas: it's because it's combustable!

Eh, I say the burning adds to the smelliness.

Wait the Island just appeared so why sink it already?

I still don't get how snails affect the planet to lead to the ice age but...hey, it's mitigating human activity.

Oh and Kelzaks...because Kelzaks.

Oh great, now here comes Chuubo and his latest means of keeping those two on his side.

And what proof do you have that Hunter has betrayed Blake?

Oh so they still have the beam...and now it just hits Hunter. I get it.

Outside all the fumes, I think I'm OK.

Yep, anything Hunter does now...it's all Tori's fault. Damn ninja hormones.

Oh you have to bring the parents into it. You know...the parents that were killed...by Lothor...

My brother...HE DID IT ALL FOR THE NOOKIE! (attacks Blake)

Lothor: A bit crude but gets the point across.

Ninja mind? Do ninjas have minds or are they all about obedience?

(Kylo Ren voice) TRAITOR!!!!

Wind weasels? I don't see any weasels...unless you mean the guinea pig.

Brother vs. brother...well they're only adopted so...

And again with the smoke. I think by the end of this arc, they need to add Lightspeed inhalers into the helmets.

How the heck is sinking one island going to freeze the planet? This makes no sense compared to the original plot.

Ah so the Kelzaks can do the sword slash too. They're learning.

Oops, someone's gonna need dry cleaning back on the spaceship...

And now he's gone good. Nice, WE'VE GOT A KELZAK BUDDY!

Wait so we get a good Kelzak due to the steam...yet Hunter needs magic beams from space. Why not just follow the same logic as the Sentai since it's cleaner.

Why does Chuubo want a frozen planet when not even Lothor wants a frozen planet?

And it's a prime time, maybe the stars were right
I had a premonition, it's gonna be my turn tonight

Hunter, don't kill him because he gets a girl and you're still single!

How the heck is he going to care about a beam when he's sort of a bit out of it?

Heart? Well that probably explains why the beams are way weaker than the weird smoke.

And there goes the smoke...and thus he probably goes...slimy. Yeesh.

LIKE MY NEW FACIAL...er, I mean...I HATE YOU BLAKE!

And here comes Blake's Menage-a-Trois partners.

Hold him? And what's your strategy for dealing with Hunter anyway?

Hunter may be strong but...blast of mind-switching steam isn't going to make things any easier.

Well at least he got Blake above him.

Outside the slimy face, I say it is more or less Hunter.

Guess Zurgane got the heater working. He's a good general after all.

First it's freezing, now I have to pay more on my heating bills..GET IT TO 60 AT LEAST!

At least those two are taking advantage of their new sauna...though tell Kapri to leave afros like that to Love Momozono or Frenchie.

HUNTER, THAT SLIME DOES NOT LOOK GOOD ON YOU!

OK, we'll use smokescreen to get away...and Blake'll come with because...Tori...and Dustin...

Wait smokescreen isn't part of the plan? It's a ninja tactic; don't you remember this season's about ninjas?

So far so good...except for the helmet still attached to his face.

HE'S ELECTROCU..er, just powering down.

Blake: I'm so confused...and why is Tori looking at me like that?

How the heck did all that ice get inside Ninja Ops? Lothor can fix the heater but Cam can't?

Yeah it wasn't some idiot blowing volcanos causing a second ice age...no just your typical magic islands in the Pacific.

I'm starting to think that island is like that giant ice cube falling into a cup of tea.

New island in the Pacific...missing Rangers...next Ice Age...random enough to me.

Guess we have to use the old fashion heating system: fire really is the devil's only friend.

Um Lothor, didn't you know he was on their side before?

Hours? Well at least it works for a villain scheme.

Yeah, I didn't like Chuubo, he's fired.

Um Blake, is the ice thing affecting the island too?

Finally, Hunter needs me...I need Tori but I guess blood...er, adoption papers is thicker than water.

Yeah we never would act like such jerks...intentionally.

I'M NOT REMOVING THE SLIME FROM MY FACE UNTIL YOU'RE DEAD, BRO!

Thoughts: Despite the weirdness on whether or not the brainwashing bit worked in retrospect, I actually think this episode was better than the last one. No, it didn't have the real elements of the culmination and the reasons as to why the Gouraiger split apart, but it did work really well once Blake and Hunter got split by first the brainwashing beam and then ultimately by the "contrary steam" that turned one against the other. The whole thing with the freezing of the planet is still weird and makes no sense in context but we did get the comedy involving Lothor's heating system so at least that sort of worked for amusement. At least it feels like we'll probably be following the script from here on out, and for what we have, maybe it's for the best.

Return of Thunder Pt. 3: aka: I'm the Slime

With how frozen Blue Bay Harbor is now, it's a surprise the sidewalks remain shoveled.

Oh come on you want long johns in that color? I mean sure they'll keep you warm but people will notice.

Motocross gloves? Grip I can see but I doubt about keeping you warm.

Dear Kelly: had to take day off to fight against evil ninjas and stop the planet from becoming a popsicle. Don't dock my pay. Dustin.

Really, Dustin, thicker outfits. (or is that more Cam's fault again?)

Why can you morph but not reach Ninja Ops? Two words: Plot Convenience.

Blake, we know you and Hunter are only related in name so tell us.

This doesn't exist anywhere. Yeah...figured that already.

Once every two-hundred years? Well...still easier to find than Venus Island.

Yeah, the geography around here is weird, I'm not sure how the heck geologist don't know about it yet Lothor does.

Yeah Cam's getting something: mainly frostbite.

So you found the Rangers; big deal: the hard part is getting them off said island that you found them on.

Well at least with the cold the slime has officially frozen onto Hunter's helmet.

Wait just Blake's the enemy? What about Shane's squad?

You know this shot looks extremely bright and clear considering the ice armageddon the rest of the planet's undergoing.

Hey Dustin can I borrow that stick, it's a really nice cane.

You'll be glad we have Hunter. Just like you were glad when Merrick had his...no wrong example...Eric had...um...

How they got their powers? Oh that's simple: rival ninja academy, rival Ranger powers. Tori, that's not a question.

Look, sometimes we're freezing and sometimes we're not and Dustin's playing with his stick; just tell us.

Yeah, our parents were ninjas. Not sure what that accomplished but...

Grooming us for something...really, this sensei seems like an alien himself preparing his next meal.

Yeah they attacked our school too. Not sure when they had the time but they did.

Wait Zurgane caught their teacher? I thought Chuubo was in charge of "bubbling ninjas".

Dustin, that ball thing sort of just feels like Glinda's bubble combined with a wind current so...don't ask.

Wait they got their powers before Lothor captured them? Guess the Wind Rangers were lucky their sensei didn't do something so stupid.

Oh and then Lothor lied about our parents. Um...why would Lothor even care about two random guys with morphers who happen to be adopted brothers with the same parents? He'd lie even if those morphers were on two unrelated Thunder Ninjas.

OK, it makes some sense but...not really.

I don't think it's help; remember that yellow gas? Very strong stuff.

Cause you've gotta have...FRIEEEEEENDS! (really, Tori, that's your answer?)

Dustin: I'm so over Hunter; can't Tori and me just get Blake without him?

Oh great he's doubting himself again. Chuubo, your mind control sucks.

Come on I'm not saying these wooden lines like I mean it cause...I don't.

Chuubo Good; Blake Bad! (paid for by the committee to make Chuubo space dog catcher)

It's too bad Saban isn't around anymore for Chuubo's cartoons...on the other hand maybe he can watch "The Emperor's New School"; heard that's not bad.

Oh and here's Lothor to report in to; hope you know what you're doing Chuubo.

Extra Muscle? What about that clam/snail thing?...oh, he's in space now...why did he leave?

Zurgane would be so hotter if he was a general.

With the smell, wouldn't that create heat to protect it from the cold spell?

Some random guy rolling down the hill...IT HAS TO BE HUNTER!

Can we please put a cork into this bivalve already?

About time Dustin points out the obvious.

Slug, snail, crab, clam...WHICH IS IT!?

OK it's awkward having Blake transform with us now.

Time for some screenshots!

Why would this loser know where Hunter is?

Whatever he was...he's now dead. What a pity.

Oh great, the idiot made us lose track of the brother. Guess that was his purpose.

Oh he's just staggering around saying things. No wonder we didn't see him.

Well this feels familiar.

Why doesn't anyone...I don't know...get that gross stuff off Hunter's face and cure him that way?

Hi, I'm Chuubo, wanna play!?

Which is more embarrassing: the Hunter/Blake situation or that those three are losing to Chuubo?

Chuubo? His only betrayal is his stupid "I want to help you" scam.

Doesn't he remember the yellow gas too?...no wait, we have to blame everything on Lothor.

No, my ghost parents...I'm betraying them!

YOU'RE TEARING ME APART!!!!

WE'RE NOT EVEN RELATED...er, I HAVE NO BROTHER!

Tough love? I say the staff makes things lenient.

Either you listen or I rip off your shoulder. Your choice.

We're not related but you're my brother. Believe me.

What truth; with the green slime on your face?

Yellow-tinted memories, go!

I remember...the Alamo.

Guess we need to do something...may as well kill Chuubo.

I'll be back...if I can remember the door.

Yeah, I think Chuubo showed his true form: a coward.

I don't feel like seafood, just toast.

Oh great, and Hunter is still being yelled at. How long do we have to leave them like this?

And...Blake was strangling him. All that with the trials they went through and Hunter still nearly died.

Good...bad...Hunter's the one with the ninja sword.

OK, Hunter's back to normal...yet there's still 7 minutes and another part after this. So...

Really at this point Cam needs a kotatsu.

Are we happy with long distance? Hell no, I can't get any apps on my...2003-era Morpher?

Yeah those two idiots are here too...sadly.

How to get off? Carefully...or a boat, boat could work. Could even meet up with those idiot dino Rangers in Japan and get free curry.

Zords? How are they coming here from Blue Bay Harbor?

Oh and sorry for being a jerk; it was the slime talking.

Look I'd say group hug except...that's what the Zords are for.

Big dysfunctional superhero family? What to go with you and your nieces?

Seriously you're too big to be the Astro Megaship so that comment really isn't going to go anywhere.

Oh come on, let Zurgane laugh.

I don't know what he is anymore, JUST GROW HIM!

Cam just doesn't want to leave his blanket anymore.

We are sorry we ever crossed you, you...whatever you are.

Africa hot? Africa at least isn't Death Valley.

It was getting cold out anyway.

Not sure a pinwheel's gonna slice up a bivalve shell but whatever.

The sooner this guy dies, the sooner the wonderment of what he is can end.

ZI-ENDO.

And the funny part: he never once showed any hint he was a crab.

And thus the island sinks as Gajah proclaims...WAIT THIS ISN'T THE ISLAND OF THE GORDOM!?

Oh it's you; your pay is docked for how much rock salt I had to buy to keep open, Dustin.

One of these days the Morphers need e-mail function.

Oh and we don't work for you but we're on your side.

Stock boys. Well it keeps them out of trouble.

Oh we have stuff to do...ninja secret...and no we're not ninjas.

Um...you two are the only ones that can use the Thunder powers. You really just...can't leave.

Yeah...Lothor hates all you so...no excuse.

Great Powers, Great Responsibilities...oh and listen to the guinea pig.

Come on, you're in the intro and everything, you can't quit now.

We gave you enough chances, Chuubo: ONE! If we give you two, then we'd lose our standards!

Look we forgot you before, so you're fired before we forget about you again.

Oh and if you blow yourself up, at least take some Rangers with you.

Oh and if you return, I'll kill you myself. Comprende?

I'm so upset, I may do something...evil!

Thoughts: While last episode improved on things, this one sort of just fell back into the rather blandness of this arc, particularly with the culmination of the Hunter/Blake plot. They don't even take the evil yellow smoke into account anymore, they just say Hunter's just brainwashed due to Chuubo and leave it at that, which I think is rather cheap and sot of tries to bring about a final showdown akin to Ikkou and Isshu but without the impact of their finale. Meanwhile, Chuubo just feels plastered in because of the Sentai footage and they sort of just only mock at the stupidity of merging the two shelled MotW together into one while just making random thoughts that he's a crab eventually. I wish I could say this is the end of the arc but we still have one episode left with the only build-up being "oh and Lothor fired Chuubo"...which as said, means nothing because Lothor barely knew Chuubo existed prior to this arc!

Return of Thunder Pt. 4: aka: Boys in the Box

We got the boxes but we're not sure what's in them. Kelly, can you at least give us a hint?

Today, boxes, tomorrow...JANITORS!

An easy way without Morphers and Megazords...yeah with what Dustin looks like, I think it will be...eh.

Yeah I had to take a lot of drugs to get past what Sensei is now. Still better than random cutaways to a real guinea pig.

We got a decision...especially Blake since he may be hetero after all.

Riding...so that's what they're calling it now.

Marah, you didn't like Chuubo that badly, did you?

Oh...it was George...yeah, maybe Marah needs to learn to clean the fish tank.

Doesn't anyone know what love is...I want to know what love is...I want you to show me...

Look love can be the basis of evil, Lothor. You just didn't take that lesson.

Wait so you're comparing Chuubo to a blowfish? Eh, I always thought he was some anthro version of Slimer from Ghostbusters.

Killed him, banished him, either way Chuubo's gone and Lothor's happy.

Idea: no fishing metaphors until Marah's time of mourning ends.

A scroll? But scrolls are Lothor's thing...Chuubo, what are you planning?

Oh so it's a special scroll. Well desperate times, desperate measures.

Smell you later! (Gary Oak's theme plays)

Shane, we're not doing a remake of Liveman. Give up with skateboarding.

It's almost like they had spies copy our Zords....like they were ninjas or something...

Do we have to talk about density right now; I thought we're two seasons past the time travel.

A non-functional retrofit...you know: stuff it really shouldn't have.

Something Cam can't figure out...first time for everything.

And...biking. So you don't have time to be Rangers but you have time for biking?

Hey our own private beach. Guess that's a part of the harbor Blue Bay didn't take.

He's lost a lot of his agression so let Blake be zen.

Of course you don't want them to be Rangers, they'll just kill you.

REVENGE...oh and hand beams, those are always fun.

Want to see what's in the box? I'LL GRAB YOU AND SHOW YOU!

I think they regret doing box duty now.

Sir, Chuubo's still trying to be relevant...should we help or just let him die?

Lothor does like traditions.

Oh and while we're at it, we really need a funeral for George to help Marah grieve...GET THE TOILET READY!

What sort of pet does a girl whose seen space like?

I haven't done much evil ninja buddies, so can you help me just this once?

Oh great, Chuubo's uber inside his own little world. That's what the box is for.

Yeah time is relative so a few hundred years could be a few minutes our time.

His house? You mean Chuubo lives in his own box?

Yeah I'm not sure the Wind Ninjas like boxes. They're more crate people.

Worse than they can imagine? You mean...ANOTHER EPISODE WITH CHUUBO!?!?!?

And while that's happening, Dustin is biking...because of course he's biking.

Yep, found their bikes but their clothes aren't missing...so...at least Cell didn't do it.

Rodent? Come on, remember what sensei is.

So Chuubo's just standing there with a intense expression in the middle of nowhere. SUS-PIIII-CIOUS!!!

I highly doubt Dustin will ever get zen.

At least they get to use those other bikes again.

Sure you should lose your position, Chuubo? I mean you were in a rather zen pose a moment ago.

This box is like the TARDIS; it's bigger on the inside than the size on the outside.

And where did Chuubo get the Kelzaks; didn't Lothor wash his hands of him?

Really they could just stand there and the Kelzaks would just fall into their blades.

How many Kelzaks did Chuubo take?

And Tori's just blasting Kelzaks with mic feedback. That's cruel.

Buh bye, Kelzaks.

Damn and I thought the Thunder Rangers' staffs were annoying.

Something, something, genetic control...four foot restriction on HUMANOID HEIGHT!

Tubing? Wait so the box is part of his body?

So basically it's like hit an intestinal track and you save the Thunder Rangers...eh whatever.

And now Chuubo has his tubing back together! Or did he have a spare?

Shocking? The Thunder Rangers are your enemy now so you have no right to use that expression, Chuubo.

OK now they abandoned their clothes. Sure ninja tactic but that's how you do the "Cell ate me" bit.

Lovehandles were never a problem with villains before.

Let's do...well we both have guns so why not.

Puppet show? Um...Chuubo...this isn't the time to endulge in your bunraku love!

Oh great, he's doing the Sasori thing. Then again his granny did it with Sakura too.

At least for once the Wind Rangers are the villains.

DANG...HAVING...CONTROL...OF ONE FINGER...IS HARD...

We'll destroy our teammtes, you do realize that right?

You're leaving this to Hunter? Considering all we've been through...not a smart idea.

Meh forget it. OK Chuubo you got us.

Your heads look excrutiating for dealing with a trigger pulling scene.

Come on...my close-up head can do this.

DUCK...I meant there was a duck there but hey we got Chuubo.

Oh and Chuubo's still standing. What does it take to get rid of this jerk?

And now they hit him. Hopefully now Chuubo can just go away.

Oh great he's still here.

Oh yeah...I HAVE A SUPER SCROLL! CHUUBO 1, RANGERS ZIP-PI-DEE-DOO-DAH!

Yeah you could have gotten big by way of PDA but no one gave him one.

Oh and meanwhile Cam is still playing with the random parts of the Thunder Megazord.

Nah it isn't really going to be sticky, just need to hit you with the staff some more.

Oh and we fused two Discs together; not sure what it does but probably won't hit Chuubo.

Wait that thing was Furaimaru? Um...where did the Thunder Rangers even keep Furaimaru?

He's really resiliant for just being some big guy with growth powers.

I figured it out...IT'S A SENTIENT KARAKURI...er, a part to fuse your Zords.

We're not sure why this can happen but just do it.

The MiniZord? That's...a thing.

YES, I AM INVINCIBLE! (famous last words)

Heh..balls hitting each other...

I shall name him...Mini Zord.

He seems more like a genie than a sentient being.

Yeah tough to know how it works but it works.

Yeah they're bigger...as for harder they falls...

That stick wasn't insured!

Slowly moving...just take it easy...we have all day...

It's powerful but not sure how useful it is as a giant brick.

I have no idea what MiniZord's saying but...better listen.

Oh the pullcord. That works.

Well it was either die here or die due to Lothor. Considering the two, Chuubo got the better option.

Yeesh, Chuubo wanted Bulk's mommy too? Even that joke won't die in the Disney era.

Master, Chuubo's dead. No loss.

Wait...WHAT!? CHUUBO SHRANK TO BECOME MARAH'S PET!?!?!?!? HOW!?!??!!? WHY!?!?!?!??!!?...eh, at least he finally can get attention.

Kapri, she's the adorable one. Love Marah, don't ignore her and criticize her ditziness.

Help me...help me...

OK so who's superior in the shop now? Really it can't be Dustin.

Oh yeah...that guy. Forgot that subplot.

And...never mind, they said no.

Um, just because you become part of the team doesn't mean you ignore your civilian life, guys.

Yeah who needs fame and endorsements when you can fight Lothor...and do nothing with your lives in the process.

Thoughts:
I sort of see why they added this in to the whole "Thunder Rangers join the team" arc but it still feels strange they go from this three part story about the island and the Thunder Rangers nearly betraying one another to just "oh yeah, we have to deal with Chuubo." And it just gets bizarre: why is hitting a random tube just going to save the Thunder Rangers; and why would the Thunder Rangers have pieces of the MiniZord and not both sides if they were meant to be together? The part with Chuubo's puppeteering was probably the best part of the episode at least; and while I expected Chuubo to die, having the randomness of Marah making him a pet...does at least add more comedy and will finally give Chuubo someone to pay attention to him...and really that's all he wanted. (and Marah did love him so...)
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:04 PM #3787
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Well they were quick to add the Thunder Rangers to the opening...not too quick but quick enough considering they weren't in the last two episodes.
But too quick to actually add them to the team.

She so wants Blake she'll start getting into BMX!
As long as Dustin won't get jealous after the breakup.

Tie him down and torture him...Dustin, you're that kinky.
Everyone has their kinks. Maybe Dustin's projecting.

Wait this desert...does this mean Blue Bay Harbor's close to Mariner Bay?
I thought it's halfway around the world... but then again, who can figure out Power Rangers geography.

Go to the light side. Wait since when are Power Rangers considered Light and Dark Side?
Ever since the Sword of Darkness.

Oh that body double is so not Tori. Nice try. (at least the close ups work)
Dang, I thought they mastered the bunshin technique.

Oh and here comes some other biker in blue...did Hunter switch places to screw with her?
I'm going to lose track of whom Hunter wants to screw with.

Ninja leaping into a space ship...how the heck does that even work?
Very carefully.

HI GUYS, LET'S SING SOME KARAOKE!
Never gonna give... oh, that's so last year.

Oh come on, rubber clamps are the latest thing and Dustin so wants you to play with him...er, them.
Everyone has their kinks. And nerve endings.

He lost his clothes...HUNTER'S NAKED!...or huge.
Dustin: "Why not both?"

Guess you got to slice your escargot before you can serve it.
Mmm... French delicacies...

Heating oil? Well at least we get a lesson on energy efficiency.
Oil is rather inefficient. Too much energy not stored in the natural production of it, and a lot of waste in the combustion process.

Yep, it's an island. Lothor's plan: use climate change to drown them....oh and no cell service either.
No cell service? Okay, that's just evil.

I wouldn't want to turn a Green Ranger into a Red one, Dustin. Last time that happened, we got some idiot who got Dear John letters and Native American mumbo jumbo and they were called arcs.
Yeah, but did you see how "awesome" The Tommy was?

Oh great, more blurs. Are Hunter and Blake trying to screw with our minds?
Minds? Oh, um, yes, minds.

About time Shane and Hunter get at it with each other, and it's a good fight.
Interesting, with the obvious color matchups but one obvious imbalance. Always the question of who corresponds to whom in what context, and when we get the context of this (plus with the rivalry sort of continuing later, arguably with the Battlizer scenarios).

And the other two are going nowhere with Blake other than their mutual crushes.
So, who's fighting whom about what?

Oh great it's one of those super-speed Dragon Ball battles...do we have to?
A wise rodent said to never mix Dragon Ball with live action.

MINE IS BIGGER THAN YOURS...er, my blaster.
Yeesh, it's not about the size of your blaster, but the precision of your shot.

I'm sick of desert islands. Why not a beautiful mountain resort?
Their ninja academy is deep in the mountains, isn't that enough for them?

(Kylo Ren voice) TRAITOR!!!!
Who's more traitorous, the traitor or the traitor who betrays the traitor?

Hunter, don't kill him because he gets a girl and you're still single!
Yeah Hunter, still plenty of choices to hook up with, no need for jealousy!

Finally, Hunter needs me...I need Tori but I guess blood...er, adoption papers is thicker than water.
It's all about the destiny... I mean, density... of the adoption papers.

With how frozen Blue Bay Harbor is now, it's a surprise the sidewalks remain shoveled.
All cities with Power Ranger Megazord battles have clean-up crews. They must get redirected when the fights are out of town.

Yeah Cam's getting something: mainly frostbite.
You'd think that ninjas would be able to create a fire. Especially with all the elements they have at their disposal. But on the plus side, his computers should overclock, right?

You'll be glad we have Hunter. Just like you were glad when Merrick had his...no wrong example...Eric had...um...
Is anyone glad to have The Tommy? What could go wrong, he accidentally takes over the world or something?

Dustin: I'm so over Hunter; can't Tori and me just get Blake without him?
Why not both?

WE'RE NOT EVEN RELATED...er, I HAVE NO BROTHER!
What is a brother, but a piece of paper defining a legal relationship?

And...Blake was strangling him. All that with the trials they went through and Hunter still nearly died.
Talk about sibling fights.

One of these days the Morphers need e-mail function.
Needs way more encryption and security to avoid viruses.

Great Powers, Great Responsibilities...oh and listen to the guinea pig.
Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig...

We got the boxes but we're not sure what's in them. Kelly, can you at least give us a hint?
It could be another box!

Riding...so that's what they're calling it now.
That's what they've been calling it for decades.

Shane, we're not doing a remake of Liveman. Give up with skateboarding.
To a very tragic place, Liveman leads. Involved, we must not be.

Do we have to talk about density right now; I thought we're two seasons past the time travel.
Nah...

This box is like the TARDIS; it's bigger on the inside than the size on the outside.
Ninja illusions.

And Tori's just blasting Kelzaks with mic feedback. That's cruel.
She did it even better than Power Rangers Supersonic. (Then again, Megaforce never told us much about Supersonic.)

Something, something, genetic control...four foot restriction on HUMANOID HEIGHT!
Has someone been reading the Mercer/Oliver notes?

I figured it out...IT'S A SENTIENT KARAKURI...er, a part to fuse your Zords.
Sentient zords made by humans... who's on first?

Heh..balls hitting each other...
Dustin: "What?"

That stick wasn't insured!
So, the stick didn't do it for insurance fraud.

Um, just because you become part of the team doesn't mean you ignore your civilian life, guys.
Yeah, gotta keep riding! For motocross.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:07 AM #3788
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I thought it's halfway around the world... but then again, who can figure out Power Rangers geography.
Andrew Hartford?

Yeah, but did you see how "awesome" The Tommy was?
I forget, was Tommy that important in Zeo? Eh, we can always ask that guy in Reefside.

Is anyone glad to have The Tommy? What could go wrong, he accidentally takes over the world or something?
Nah he's too stupid to stoop that low...wait, who was that guy Anton Mercer hired?

Ninja illusions.
Ninjas don't come from Gallifrey.

Yeah, gotta keep riding! For motocross.
Or the Wang Brothers.

-----

Boxing Bopp-A-Roo: aka: A Bopp-a-riffic Team-Up

At least Shane has a new sparring partner who happens to also be a Red Ranger.

OK, who let the Sensei out of his cage?

Cutting your losses? What did you lose and how does it affect the fight?

Seriously for a good guy, Hunter is still slightly psychotic.

Sparring? When you do the stupid "ninja 25/8/367" thing, it gets violent.

I would like to meet Shane's sister; probably stronger than him...and a samurai master.

And you two were bested by a guinea pig. Beat that.

Friendship has nothing to do with being allies. You both hate Lothor so you don't have to be like...Dustin...

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20!

TITAL TREK? What's a Tital?

It's like surfing only...wait, it's basically a triatholon with rock climbing so what is it?

Wait so it is a triatholon...but with biking and rock climbing?

Look, Hunter sucks at skateboards so I may have a chance.

Hey don't mess with blade skates. Want me to sick Kelsey on you, Shane?

So Red vs. Crimson Red. Hope someone else enters and blows both out of the water.

Buh bye, hopes and dreams, hello despair, destruction and...Lothor things.

Yeah this is why we never have two Reds on the same team ever. I mean even Tommy had other colors when Jason was around...and treated Rocky like dirt when he was the Alpha.

Oh great, it's the Billy Blakes monster. Not sure Marah and Kapri are into tae bo myself.

Marah: This is as dumb as Kapri's hairstyle!

And if you don't do what you're told, you get a quick shower!

Come on, you two; at least wear face masks with your helmets.

Bored now, any ideas for world conquest?

Evil drill instructor? I'm surprised that hasn't been done before in this side of the franchise.

What pocket of air? There's a brain...it's just really, really small.

Wait is Marah implying Kapri's wearing wigs?

GIRLFIGHT, GIRLFIGHT!!!

Yeah considering Tori and Dustin, Shane's the last you'd expect doing BMX.

Idea: let Hunter rule the biking, then crush him in everything else.

JANE, STOP THIS CRAZY THING!!!

Perfect: Shane can't bike, Hunter can't board. Now make the last event surfing and screw them both!

Yep I'm loose, I'm hip...when is this over?

Stunt doubles make it too easy. You have to suffer for art.

At least the two of them can run alright.

Seriously, not using ninja tricks...what do you think this is, MMPR season 1?

Huh...they actually went through with a kangaroo boxing monster?

Oh and killer boxing gloves; because fairplay is for Power Rangers.

Don't try to be Muhammad Ali, Bopp-a-Roo, I'm still trying to get over the stupid Marilyn voice for Florabomable.

Look, I'm Red, you're...crimson...so let me do this.

Just stop arguing and morph!?

He's a robot, why would he need a zoo?

Well you both hit him so that's a good start.

Kangaskhan uses Fire Punch, it's super effective!

Yeah they really should stop using celebrity voice impersonations. They were silly in season 1 but now they're just a joke.

Yeah, maybe we should try another weapon...

He's resisting Thunder...Hunter must be a Trapinch.

Nah, that Thunder Staff is just a lightning rod; he's just a Vikavolt.

Guess it wasn't time to do the death of this guy yet; prepare for more stupid Ali smashtalk I suppose.

Pouch potato? Are you stating Bopp-a-Roo is female, Shane?

This is lame; I need more sweat on my collar so see ya.

I think Lothor's sick of Bopp-a-Roo too; yet now the nieces think he's amusing.

When in doubt, blame your nieces. Smooth move, Uncle Lothor.

Don't use alliteration, you're just making things worse.

The made-up word jar. If only that existed with modern internet culture.

Eh he only survived because Shane didn't attack after Hunter knocked him down. That was more luck than strength.

Oh come on, you can look in Webster and see everything Marah said is a word.

Zurgane, check the dictionary...er, fix up Bopp-a-Roo.

So we go from red gloves to...green gloves. No difference other than bigger.

Come on he's a monster; he won't last long so he's exempt!

Well at least they can both run...and swing I suppose.

Tori, you never will understand the world of men.

Oh the "leader/follower" bit. Except...they're both leaders.

OK, free bench. Let's break.

Shane complimenting Hunter? Well first time for everything.

You weren't on your own for that long. Seriously, your parents died, taken in by a ninja school, then once your teacher was taken you were taken in by Lothor. Outside the Lothor thing, it's not that bad a life.

Yep, you have me, that idiot, that surfer girl, the guinea pig and that grump Cam...family.

OK back to work...right into the Japanese set with the boxes.

Oh, one goes up with the finger, one goes down. I get it.

Those gloves are black in the stock footage. Eh, the green gloves were snazzier.

OK, we'll get those three.

We really need subtitles for this guy.

And another Fire Punch for good measure.

At least Lothor's keeping track of what the idiot's saying.

Zurgane, just get down there before this fight gets even less decipherable.

I need me time in the ship, just get down there and make something of yourselves...other than being annoying nieces.

OK, blaster time, at least this should shut him up...or not, dang Protect!

Oh so Protect was by Marah. Well at least she's good for something.

Can one of you just translate what Bopp-A-Roo's going on about?

You leave Tori and Dustin with Zurgane? I get they're trained but they don't seem to be the types to figure him out.

At least the training worked for the girls. That's a plus. (and without the massive montages ala Trakeena)

Oh great, now they're doing it. Really this episode needs subs.

Oh and headress has whip powers. Because of course it does.

Float like a snake, sting like a bee...HAH, I GOT BOTH THEIR ATTRIBUTES IN!

That's not cheating, Hunter. It's called training.

Reverse deflection? How does that even work with a guy who is all about physical strength?

Cross the streams...

Oh and it downloads into the sword, because that's how it works.

About time Shane gets his own electric attacks.

Thunder...Thunder...THUNDER...THUNDER RANGER...ER, WIND RANGER, HO!!!

I'd shoot but here we go again with the shields.

Well we combined tech so...why not, one gun is better than two.

We have no idea what it does but...RUN AWAY!!!

Guess it had a bypass abiity to avoid the Light Screen.

Nah, it's more about "chocolate and peanut butter". It is the perfect metaphor here.

OK, no Lothor, at least we can send the scroll ourselves again...to...Mexico?

They're both using the sword? How the heck did they get that?

You do have to admire how powerful the gloves are.

Oh great, he's learned Flamethrower. Or his IVs are maxed.

Yeah we need to combine like that again.

KILL HIM BEFORE HE HAS TO ADD MORE MONEY TO THE JAR FOR LOTHOR!

It's more worth having peace of mind than money anyway.

And now the nieces have a new set of outfits...oh and new passions for Lothor to get a headache from.

Lothor if you don't like your nieces pursuits, leave them on Earth and forget them. (I find it adorable but I'm not you)

At least Lothor gets real headaches and not jokey ones like Rita.

Yeah let's leave the boarding to the experts...like Shane; and same for biking and Hunter.

And now it's even and down to the wall...and...meh, they both win.

Wait they were a team all along? I thought it was competition.

Shane, stop making up words before you step in a covfefe of a term.

And now they're arm wrestling. Um guys, you're partners now, right...right?

Thoughts: Like with Hurricaneger, this season is the first time Power Rangers have to deal with two alphas intentionally from such an early point (and not in a "hey let's make someone else Red so Tommy can lead as some other color" way) due to Hunter and Shane wanting to be the dominant one. I do like that this time we see that they have to work together but just aren't the best at one thing until they figure out how to make things work to their advantage. I've noticed with this season that it feels better when you have the one-shots than the longer stories, since the longer stories tend to just get bogged down or feel like too many one-shots smashed together while this at least felt the perfect length and got what it needed to done. Oh and the stuff with Lothor is hilarious with the niece's crazy pursuits and Lothor just trying to bare with how ridiculous Marah and Kapri are and the nonsense of Bopp-a-Roo's made up words.

Pork Chopped: aka: Another Corny Power Rangers Episode

Oh great it's dusting day at the dojo. You know how that guinea pig's allergies gets.

Oh, AV wires. When the heck are we switching to HDMI, way easier to install.

What took Ninja Ops so long to switch to cable anyway? Unless this place is as poor as Shotaro's detective agency and they couldn't install it sooner.

Seriously, I think Sensei is on to something. Without cable, you can't watch Power Rangers marathons on Jetix.

Oh..securty camera. Worst cable show ever; won't last a season.

Cam we know you can make it a home theater; just be dared into doing it and bam, as many channels as Philips!

What does being blonde have to do with being bad? Really the only bad thing about Tori is her fashion sense and that was more due to Marah and Kapri.

Well that went fast. Really we need a Ranger electrician cause a ninja electrican won't work.

Blake, just because there are 7 of us doesn't mean we're watching that British show.

Yeah let's go outside. If not then Cam's going to yell at us for blowing up some new Zord construction.

Tomorrow at 3...well with how obsessed she is with Blake, maybe she'll blow you off for something stupid.

Blah blah blah, COMIC BREAK! (Hunter's probably a fan of Shaman King)

Fist of Fire 2. Oh I remember Fists of Fire; the first one was so cheesy that you could tell the fire was made of plastic.

This isn't a movie about surfboarding; what the heck would Tori want to see it for?

So Blake at 3...and Shane at 3...well thank goodness Tori's a ninja or else she wouldn't be able to clone herself to do both.

Kelly's the water of reality to wake girls like Tori from their fantasy dates.

Yep she forgot. Five seconds after promising Shane. And who said she wasn't an airhead?

Seriously those goggles don't look good on either of you. Wait until the EMC develops shades, then we'll talk.

YES, I FINALLY HAVE A WAY TO AVOID FAKE NEWS...AND YEARS BEFORE TWITTER IS A THING!

Zurgane has the plan? Since when does he care about Tori's love life?

Lothor: I so totally didn't install that ref mike in the spaceship. When did Zurgane find the time?

Zurgane, if this guy is so powerful, stop using pork products to introduce him cause that's what he'll be once the Rangers finish with him! And that's not what you want as a villain!

Zurgane, I'm the funny one. My nieces are the funny one. Don't be the funny one.

I still say Miss Piggy's "Pig Power" worked way better; Frank Oz is such a good voice actor.

Wouldn't you be against bacon, Trace? Or are you into turkey bacon?

After Bopp-A-Roo, he rather have metaphors over made up words.

Seriously he made Chuubo a general and now this guy. I thought Lothor had standards.

OK new idea: install a movie screen at the skate park, then you can watch cheesy kung fu with Shane's skateboarding.

Hey, no breakdancing on the competition floor!

Kelly, if this was a breakdancing competition, call it a breakdancing competition. We'll get Globus to film it and everything.

Yeah I think it's funnier to see Shane beat himself up than some random actors.

Oh come on, Shane, I swear you can land the Triple...or whatever Dustin wanted.

Tori, stop looking at your watch like you don't care about Shane.

If it's a fake rail, wouldn't Shane get himself killed?

They remembered Clone Tori!? Well it would have been a way to avoid the problem but it's nice they remembered.

Yay, yay, go Shane, board the rails and give yourself pain...that's not right.

How is that a Street Course? Those ramps look nothing like public planning!

And there goes Tori...oh and Marah looks adorable in pigtails.

Is that a cell or a walkie talkie? I'm not sure Lothor would ignore giving them cells.

Wait they didn't think Tori would leave?

Jan Grefstad? Wait, the writers like Norwegian heavy metal!?

What Kelzaks? You think Shane's skateboarding is worse than Kelzaks?

There's something odd about that chicken. I swear he smells like bacon...better than bacon tasting like chicken.

Hey three conveniently made popcorn buckets. Now that's useful.

Alien martial artists...nah, they won't translate Gekiranger like that.

Look I know you have ninja skills but there's also a thing called "stamina".

Marah you better not being goofing off and paying attention to that Wind girl.

She's like a flea bouncing off buildings.

Now that's the crash you'd expect from a competition like this!

YAY SHANE, YOU LITERALLY BROKE...not a leg but something.

Hey I know this movie theater where we can get free sodas...BRB.

Yeah this season doesn't need civilan powers with how often these three use their ninja skills in public.

Oh hey, did I miss the competition? I have this Kelzak whose great at skating and we're his backing squad.

Just because I complimented you doesn't mean you're not doing your job!

A random sign saying "Drink"...like what sort of drink?

Skateboard fries? So what, they're seasoned with skate dirt?

Oh...skateboard accessories...I liked thinking they were skateboard fries.

I'm not sure Winnebago likes their vans being promoted like this.

FEEL THE POWER OF FLIMSY PLASTIC CHAIRS!

All that skateboarding and no one noticed the pigtailed girl and her Kelzak army? Did that receptionist in Mariner Bay brainwash Blue Bay Harbor?

OK, distant shot shows people watching. Seriously, people know and they're not telling us...or are really just dazed out and don't care.

Can we stop making every old HK action flick like they're Bruce Lee's lost classic? He didn't make that many movies.

Hey I saw that flying kick somewhere...eh must have been some old Angel Grove promotional video.

That pig sounds like he wants to be Southern Fried Chicken.

If Tori doesn't show up, I'm going to have so many bathroom problems from this popcorn...but I don't care!

NO, THEY GOT SUCKED INTO THE POPCORN...wait how does that happen and what would magic popcorn even lead them to?

Tori, this is more embarrassing than Chuubo's box, can you get us out?

At least there isn't much popcorn left...but all that artificial butter, that's even worse.

SHHH...take it to the lobby, young lady.

AHH, THE GIANT CHICKEN'S A GIANT PIG...well he looks less ridiculous but it's probably just one of those old early 60s movie stunts.

The whole audience was Kelzaks? Seriously, didn't anyone else want to see this movie?

You better not drop that stuff lest the two get stickier when they're saved.

At least match the fighting on the screen Tori.

THAT KELZAK FONDELED ME! HE'S SO DEAD!!!

What next act; you should have done that BEFORE THE LAST COMMERCIAL BREAK!

Hunter's probably sick of being stuck with gooey stuff; Blake...eh, he wanted to look good on his date.

So that's the weakness of Power Rangers: ARTIFICIAL BUTTER TOPPING! NO WONDER ALL THEIR MOVIES BOMB!

It wasn't using ninja powers for personal gain. It's basically just running back and forth on two dates. Not the same.

Let your friend down? What about Blake, he's a friend too.

We're not Time Force, Tori; so let's not bring them into this.

Office tower? Oh come on, I was hoping he'd go to another movie theater.

Second time you use the hang glider so how do you love it? Or is it the novelty?

Oh brother, that's the tower Hypnos was based in in the third Digimon series...WAIT, THIS PIG IS VIKALARAMON, THAT EXPLAINS IT!

SOOOOEY! PIG, PIG, PIG, SOOOOEY!

Another portal? Really this season likes alternate dimensions like it's MMPR.

That looks like...a place to make barbecue...really do we want this to become the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

Ten minutes? We can handle 10 minutes in our sleep.

Yep, I'm completely useless now, won't be able to ever help you...I need a way to be more helpful.

I'M SO SICK OF THESE QUARRIES!

Oh and meanwhile in the Double Dare set...

Oh too bad. You shouldn't have asked for the Physical Challenge.

They finally realized the truth. Moral: always ask for real butter on your popcorn at the movies.

This unpopped kernel is the summation of my life's work.

THAT'S IT, WE'LL USE UNPOPPED KERNELS...um, isn't there a reason not all the kernels pop?

Sure you will pop that, but the already popped kernels will be so singed.

So this is what a microwave feels like.

Wait, this is a movie? The Rangers are literally in their own movie!?!? At least the quality isn't good enough for theaters.

Marah really wanted this to be Maskman.

General Trace really just likes filming his work. You know how those webbloggers get.

Nah...we're 4 years from the climax. You just need to Open Your Eyes for the next Faiz.

YOUR FRIENDS ARE IN IOWA GETTING POPCORN; IT MAKES NO SENSE BUT ASK TORI!

The artificial flavoring's gonna geyser before any kernels burst.

Come on I'm offering you a means to take a nap, take it!

I know snouts can be eaten but that's just gross.

The only Pig Power I want to see about now is that weirdo in Japan; yeah Phillips knows who I'm talking about and you three would too if you fix Sensei's cable!

Soap, shmoap, that's what mud is for when you don't have sweat glands.

HOW THE HECK DOES TORI DO THIS...WHAT DO YOU MEAN ANDROS!?!?

Yeah you should hold on the lid until it's fully cooked.

OK, now we can cook the pork; this is where the metaphor works perfectly.

As long as the bacon isn't singed like that popcorn's about to be...

Not sure how it ended up in the sky but logic makes no sense in this franchise sometimes.

Roast? I swear we made him bacon.

EAT YOUR HEART OUT, ORVILLE REDDENBACHER!

Oh come on, that's mustard! Make your artificial butter effect look better!

OK, so he's grown. Maybe we can throw the butter on the ham and make it taste better?

Sorry but I don't think anyone likes GMO pigs that huge.

Funny thing: that MotW is from the first Gouraiger episode...yet somehow they made it work compared to the mess of...well, the others from the Gouraiger arc.

Hah, bet you didn't think a pig monster could have...FROST BREATH!

OK, the butter everywhere makes it even.

I keep kosher but I swear someone will like their pig roasted like this.

Oh I get it: washed on warm and then spin dry. The Wind Rangers are a dry cleaner company!

Breakdancing on butter...I don't know which I'm more sick of by this episode.

Do you know where that's been, Marah? It may have Hunter and Blake's germs!

I swear this butter fu fight is about as epic as the Zeo pie fight.

What barbecue? You better not have filled up on popcorn!

OK, we'll do another toy ad. I mean that's all we are sometimes.

Turtle Mace + Ram Hammer = KENDAMA ATTACK!

You're not going home...this little piggie's having none!

THEY'RE ACTUALLY EATING HIM! THIS IS SICK BUT HILARIOUS AT THE SAME TIME!

Well I'm not sure where he's been but he is cooked enough to not cause trichonosis.

You better keep to your new Vegetarian life, Marah. If I see you eating any meat from here on out, it's out of character.

Yeah there's no butter in Ninja Ops but pretend there is and clean it up.

Another film festival? Seriously no one went but you guys and a bunch of Kelzaks.

We mean the real pig, not guinea pig; dang why didn't we make him a hamster?

There wasn't a lesson and it isn't like much was learned except no more artificial butter and some MotW are edible.

OK, next time, no more dates. STRAIGHT TO SEX!

So who else likes cheesy Bruce Lee wannabes?

Guess if Sensei can't get cable, this is the next best thing.

They made a tiny bucket...but won't he be full from one or two kernels?

Thoughts: Sometimes this show is amazing and hilarious with what it does when it isn't trying to teach a lesson. With this said, this feels like the Ninja Storm equivalent of "Song Sung Yellow" from Zeo: an episode with a really dumb moral (here being about "don't be two places at the same time and expect to use ninja powers to get out of it"), but with everything surrounding it being fun and hysterical, from Zurgane's introduction to General Trace to the randomness of Hunter and Blake trapped in a box of popcorn and the artificial butter to the dark ending of the villains actually eating the former MotW! Heck even the gag of Sensei wanting to watch stuff that isn't just ninja training and duties is sort of fun and having him hang out with Blake at the end was a nice little ending as unexpected as it was. The show really can be fun if it isn't trying to be moralistic...but it's Power Rangers and it's been like this since the old days so you can take it where you can.
Old July 13th, 2019, 10:49 AM #3789
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Or the Wang Brothers.
Dustin: "Is that what... oh, entirely different people, never mind."

OK, who let the Sensei out of his cage?
Whoever was supposed to clean the cage.

Seriously for a good guy, Hunter is still slightly psychotic.
Eh, what's the worst that could happen?

TITAL TREK? What's a Tital?
A cross between "title" and "tidal"... which still makes no sense.

Yeah this is why we never have two Reds on the same team ever. I mean even Tommy had other colors when Jason was around...and treated Rocky like dirt when he was the Alpha.
Even Time Force and Quantum had a rivalry... but just how would Hasbro handle Power Rangers Spaceballs?

Seriously, not using ninja tricks...what do you think this is, MMPR season 1?
They've got to hide that they're ninjas, they can't cheat with it.

Just stop arguing and morph!?
HA!

Oh the "leader/follower" bit. Except...they're both leaders.
That's the issue when integrating two teams. But does one count as the more prominent one when both their schools are practically destroyed? It's a bit different from the Gouraiger version, who remained independent but cooperative.

Reverse deflection? How does that even work with a guy who is all about physical strength?
Wouldn't reverse deflection just be drawing all the fire towards oneself and taking more damage?

Shane, stop making up words before you step in a covfefe of a term.
Mmm... hamberders...

Oh, AV wires. When the heck are we switching to HDMI, way easier to install.
Cam might need HD footage to fully take advantage of that.

Seriously, I think Sensei is on to something. Without cable, you can't watch Power Rangers marathons on Jetix.
Even with cable, you'd have to have Disney actually trying to promote it to watch stuff on Jetix. And that's not even to mention what Saban did with Vortexx.

What does being blonde have to do with being bad? Really the only bad thing about Tori is her fashion sense and that was more due to Marah and Kapri.
First there's stereotypes, then there's completely confusing stereotypes.

Seriously those goggles don't look good on either of you. Wait until the EMC develops shades, then we'll talk.
Those things? Too disposable fashion.

There's something odd about that chicken. I swear he smells like bacon...better than bacon tasting like chicken.
Mmm... cross-flavored fried food...

Hunter's probably sick of being stuck with gooey stuff; Blake...eh, he wanted to look good on his date.
So who's going to lick the gooey stuff off?

Nah...we're 4 years from the climax. You just need to Open Your Eyes for the next Faiz.
The Climax can go back in time!

THEY'RE ACTUALLY EATING HIM! THIS IS SICK BUT HILARIOUS AT THE SAME TIME!
You know what they say, you are what you eat.
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM #3790
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Even with cable, you'd have to have Disney actually trying to promote it to watch stuff on Jetix. And that's not even to mention what Saban did with Vortexx.
OK...that makes me wonder...does Blue Bay Harbor even have ABC Family/Jetix?

You know what they say, you are what you eat.
But he wasn't human so it wasn't really cannibalism.

-----

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Stage 5: The Princess and the Witch

Really anything to explain C.C. is basically that classic old line "Screw the rules, I have green hair".

One thing that becomes apparant even this early on in this series is that no one in this world is likable and everyone is using everyone else to get what they want out of this corrupt society. At least with Lelouch it's understandable since he's pretty much playing the villain and is manipulating the world to make it better (though his arrogant "I was going to do this eventually but the Geass is speeding things up" line is ridiculous), but it's hard for me to really connect with everyone with their combination of arrogance and fake emotions. This is brought about here with the introduction of that green haired girl C.C., the one who gave Lelouch the Geass and who seems to want to use him to her ends, but is acting rather bizarre otherwise doing whatever the hell she wants while he's trying to keep with his plans and watching the world as it sort of rips itself apart and he prepares for his own further plans to change it. Honestly I rather be watching things like the Brittanians ripping themselves apart due to Lelouch's "Orange" stunt on Jeremiah (which never existed) and the purebloods fighting among each other while the Japanese start trying to take their country back over the regular characters just living their lives at times. However, the interactions do have their purpose and sort of does drive things along, which in this case is due to Suzaku just after his breaking out of his trial (due to no evidence he killed Clovis) and encountering a mysterious "Euphy" he ends up becoming the Gregory Peck to her Audrey Hepburn (yeah she's a princess and it's revealed as such by the end). Suzaku ends up parallelling Lelouch again with how the two seem to want to change the world but from different elements: Lelouch sees the strength of Brittania and wants to weaken it to it's death; while Suzaku has witnessed weakness and wants to strengthen the people to live better lives, all while talking to mysterious weird-hair-colored girls. Of course when Suzaku protects the mystery girl, that ends up being enough for Euphemia (who is the third princess of the Brittanians) to respect him; but at the same time gets her in trouble with her more militaristic sister Cornelia (who we know from prior is one of two who knows the truth of the death of Lelouch and Nunnaly's mother...and is the new viceroy of Area 11) who wants to keep her under her thumb as she tries to get order back to the area and prevent Japan from having a new uprising courtesy of Zero.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion: Stage 6: The Stolen Mask

What would an aspiring evil dictator need pizza points for!?

Well we've had several episodes about the internal workings both of Lelouch's potential rebellion and his rising noteriety as Zero and the Brittania Empire...so let's get back to wacky high school hijinx as a means for "calming tensions"! At the end of last episode, we find out that Suzaku has decided to enroll at the school to sort of keep up appearance as well and to keep track of what Lelouch is doing. Due to their connection and to Nunnaly, it sort of works to his advantage to be able to feel more normal in this regards, Obviously Lelouch can talk to him about some things like "that mysterious green haired girl", but he can't talk to him about others such as his new identity as Zero and...um, that mysterious green haired girl. But of course we need something to initiate Suzaku into this bizarre world, so we end up with one of the most ridiculous you can think of: a random cat C.C. is keeping just ends up with the Zero helmet on it's head and running around campus. When Lelouch starts chasing it, it just becomes more chaotic when the student council (well mostly Milly) decides to make a competition out of things, allowing anyone who catches said cat (not knowing of the helmet) to get a free kiss from anyone they want if they find it! (and heck we even get a girl who wants one from Milly...I'd say the cast is too big already at times but she's one we'd need more info about) The whole thing just de-evolves into chaos and really is just another means for Lelouch and Suzaku to bond despite the fact that they're sort of enemies now, and of course the two of them find the cat (really I was cheering for Shirley and Kallen; they know things about black cats themselves) and all they get is a peck on the cheek from Nunnaly so really nothing was accomplished...well OK the only thing that was is that Nina, that green haired Meganekko seems a bit embarrassed about Suzaku being an Eleven and it feels like an issue of contention for her. (oh and Suzaku is a Student Council member too now...I wouldn't be surprised if the whole school is in the student council by series' end)

The only thing of note other than that is the ending, where we finally get the Clovis funeral...and really if you've seen the funeral for Garma Zabi in the original Gundam, you know what to expect. At least one thing that is outlined is that we get a bit more info on the world in Emperor Britannia's speech: Brittania seems to go into a more "Darwinistic dictatorshp" where the weak die and the strong survive and conquer; while they mention the European Union as a democracy that they claim is "mob rule" and the China Federation as sort of a modified version of Communism. It's probably more something we need to know for later but even with how the speech went, it was at least more to get more about the world outside Area 11.

-----

Fraggle Rock: Ep. 53: Blanket of Snow, Blanket of Woe

How can anyone be figure-skating at a time of such misery?

I've noticed that Trash Heap episodes tend to be some of the weakest of the show, mainly when she's the focus as opposed to just helping the Fraggles out as in the early intended days of trying to give them a lesson. And this one is no different, but it's made worse in that it seems to want to shame Mokey into either not doing enough for doing too much leading ot problems for her. The episode starts with Mokey taking on way too many responsibilities that she ends up forgetting some, including, and in her biggest blunder, not making a new tarpaulin (a cloth to protect from the elements) for Marjorie, making her freeze over. You'd think that the key would be "wait until they warm up and then it won't be a problem", but with the Fraggles and Philo and Gunge, having no Trash Heap around sort of is a problem since they all treat her like she's alive. The rest of the episode is basically about figuring out how to revive her, and it all comes down to soup; first some soup Boober was making, and then when that's not enough, manipulating the Gorgs into throwing out some Goombah Soup that Ma was making for her and Junior. There is really little plot here and while it's interesting they do focus on Mokey, there isn't any mistake she has to fix other than being better organized than anything: if she has too many priorities then the lesson should be to figure out which is the highest priorities (like, you know, a Tarpaulin for your oracle!) and do things in the order of necessity. Mokey's problem was less about forgetting and more just being tossed around in too many directions that it lead to mistakes like not finishing it; and really it should have been a story about organization...but instead we get thrown out soup and stupid randomness like Junior making Fraggle salt-and--pepper shakers so Mokey can sabotage soup...that Pa likes but Ma still throws out! (here's a thought Ma: if Pa likes the soup, give him enough to satiate him then throw the rest out...or, you know, leftovers)

Doc & Sprocket: Doc sort of screws up priorities when he decides to make a new slogan for the Captain's Inn instead of playing with Sprocket.

Songs: The first song, "Blanket of Snow", is just a country misery song with misery and furthers the stupidity of the episode with Philo and Gung with woolen outfits and ice skates while Marjorie's frozen solid. At least the episode also has "Goodtime Goombah Soup", which is really the only good thing about the episode and tended to be used to demonstrate the Gorgs as just a fun musical moment for them. (Even with the stupidity of the soup plot and Ma's disregard for Pa's feelings)

Postcard: Matt discovers a man frozen solid on a pedastal (a statue) and tries (and fails) to reach him.

Fraggle Rock: Ep. 54: Pebble Pox Blues

Suddenly I want to know how the heck Red treated Gobo when she was sick.

Boober is a Fraggle a bit too obsessed with paranoia over germs and contageon, fearing constantly what happens if he were to get sick himself and thus the problems that could occur from mere sickness. So when Gobo comes down with a case of the Pebble Pox, one of the most contageous diseases within the Rock, Boober knows he has to get him well before it spreads knowing that it can lead to problems. The key here is to get to the Cave of Shadows, where Doogan Berries grow that can help with the healing process and he ends up going with some help of Wembley to find the way. But because he goes a bit too overboard on the "germs are bad" front, Wembley sort of goes off the deep end himself and thinks that he himself is sickened; the weird thing is he also catches the Pebble Pox due to exposure to Gobo but he gets so over the top about it that it sort of just gets ridiculous. The whole point of the episode is Boober sort of just coming to terms that he sort of is a bit too paranoid about his germ fears and that it just causes more harm than good, especially when others who aren't as cautious about his obsessive behavior start catching on and it just leads to more problems with everyone. The problem is both Gobo and Wembley feel unbearable in this episode, Wembley obviously due to Boober's influence but Gobo as well just keeps going on and on about his problems to the point that he has to bare with both Red and Mokey, the former being a bit too violent towards him (though it is one of the funniest scenes in the episode) and Mokey just sort of going all zen "feel the Pebble Pox's own misery" that somehow Boober adopts towards the end but really doesn't make anything any better on any fronts.

Doc & Sprocket: Sprocket becomes too scared to go to the vet...until Miss Argast's airdale suddenly gets sick and he wants to be a man...er, dog about it.

Songs: "Talkin' About Germs" is the only song of the episode but it's a fun and excellent one, being Boober's bluesy elegy about contageon and made fun with a lot of weird Muppety germ representations;the music even reminds me a bit of Doctor Mario!

Postcard: Matt makes a friend by way of...a cow? (what is he, Gonzo...yeah Dave Goelz but still...)

-----
ARIENAI TO WAKUWAKU MON DA (and everything else in between)
A Pretty Cure Rewatch
Futari wa Pretty Cure

41 (56 until SS): This episode was just a mess, through and through. First: do any other teams in lacrosse even matter other than Verone and Otagaku? Seriously, Otagaku's the only team Verone's taken on all season; I know they try next season to vary it up but by that point they're pretty much unstoppable so no matter what we see of it Verone's not losing. Second is just what Juna ends up pulling, literally ripping the Cures away from the game and creating this dumb illusion that Nagisa is an Otagaku player who ends up leading to the first tie anyway. And then there's the whole mess with the Power of Creation just flying out of Pollun: they make it feel like Pollun still has it...but why did it sentiently leave Pollun and protect them before flying off while the Dark Seeds still thing Pollun has the power? One thing I do like is the reveal of how the Power of Consumption is within the Dark Seeds; there's no real explanation behind all it but it's still cool. (and why them and not the Dark Five? And what about the Guardians next season?)

42 (55 until SS): I know some consider this "the best" Futari episode but I couldn't stand this one. The whole point of the episode is basically " what can you do on your own", which for a team that is made of a duo (and really only this one, the main Splash Star, the first two Suite and first two Maho Girls are like this), tries to make sense but doesn't. It just is a very depressing episode made worse with all the nonsense of the talk by the Guardians to push the Cures to their edge, with random Zakenna all over the place, Nagisa inspired by a stupid game she and Mepple play, and random Pollun showing up acting like the original Miracle Light to save the day and lead to the fight scene people keep talking about. If I want a good episode that talks about Nagisa and Honoka's situation, give me Poisony's finale; if I want a good episode about contemplations of the future, give me the one with Sanae's past; this one just doesn't do it for me.

43 (54 until SS): Why do we need Fuji-P before the end-game? Why do we need two straight episodes with Fuji-P before the endgame!? Eh...well with my angst out of the way, this is a rather troubling episode in that it introduces another random girl who likes Fuji-P and the problem she has with him while Nagisa goes on about wanting him too in a similar style to the one with the girl who liked Kiriya when Honoka also liked him. Ignoring that lummox, this is also the episode where the bizarre concept regarding the Dark Seeds betraying the Evil King begins to emerge with the whole "we've changed" element...the problem is they don't say how or why they've changed or if that really even matters. (it reminds me of Linkara's comedic review of the Monitors from "Countdown" and the random one saying "I'M CHANGING!" without explaining...you know, why?)

44 (53 until SS): You know as much as I yell and complain about the Nagisa/Fuji-P story arc, this episode...really should have been the end of it and I wouldn't have mind. The decision Nagisa makes here that she doesn't want Fuji-P involved in the mess of her life anymore and rather not pursue him beyond this is a mature decision showing she doesn't need a man in her life and she's happy with what she has instead of going after something she may never end up getting. If this was it, I would have said it was a mature, strong ending showing you don't need a love story like this...too bad next season reverses course and we're back to this nonsense despite Fuji-P graduating. We finally also get a bit more regarding why the Dark Seeds are changing with them claiming "its the chaos in this world that is maturing us", but it still makes no sense; if they weren't slaves to the Evil King, what would those three even be? They don't even have lives anymore outside the mansion so what would they do with themselves? Oh and in random weirdness...how the heck did Kiriya survive yet the other Dark Five didn't?

45 (52 until SS): The last real filler before the end-game is sort of our farewell to 2-Sakura as classmates with all of them singing together in that choral competition brought up two episodes ago. We get another new character here that leads the song; her VA is the same as Buki from Fresh but she acts a bit more like the Iincho she will play in Splash Star a bit more. I find it a bit ridiculous how the episode plays out with just how she suddenly decides "we have to change the song" at the last minute and all the stuff with suddenly adding solo parts for Nagisa and Honoka only to have them fight the Dark Seeds instead of on stage singing (really Shiho and Rina should have done the solos as intended at the last minute). They try to push the whole "we just want to be normal girls" thing but do you really like Juna and Regine care at this point with the whole "I'm changing" thing?

46 (51 until SS): There's one thing I admit that I really love about this endgame even if it isn't the same as the one in the first half's finale: it's very subdued and low-key. While we later get another visit to the Dark Zone, there's no over the top element akin to all the other end-games where you have it occur in another world, massive battles and in some cases the world being annihilated multiple times only to mean nothing in the end (thanks a lot for that image, Smile!) The episode is simply "The Dark Seeds get the power from Pollun back, give it back to Wisdom, then begin the process to absorb his power into themselves so the Evil King doesn't get it". And with that done mostly in the first half, the second half is a very quiet sequence with the Cures basically sort of making their peace before doing what needs to be done in the end; we get this a few other times in the franchise but here it feels just very serious and realistic, as if this continues to just be an urban fantasy like it was always meant to be instead of the over-the-top ridiculousness that gets moreso with each season after this. The slow moments in Futari can range from strong to weak but the second half of this episode with Nagisa and Honoka basically realizing what they're fighting for and prepping for the final invasion of the mansion is just a strong sequence and really shows what this show can accomplish when done right. (the only thing I wish for is if Pollun just sat out the rest of the endgame and never bother us again) I do like also how Belzei's announcement of the end is in a nightgown and cap, that's just hilarious and really shows the fun quirkiness this season has that isn't forced.

47 (50 until SS): Despite how much later seasons have taken from Futari, this story sort of still has stuff that keeps Futari relevant, fresh and original even with all the seasons that come afterwards. In this case, the three-way showdown between the Cures, the Evil King and the Dark Seeds is actually still original, since we've never really had a villain beyond this show any sort of real defiance against their boss and still remain evil in any other season (usually when they defy, they turn good or Cures or whatever, so having the Dark Seeds be defiant and evil) It's sort of amazing just to see the Evil King have enough and scoop up both the Dark Seeds and the Cures and the Cures just completely out of their element as the Dark Seeds try to figure out how to handle things, ultimately merging to fight against him and keep the Power of Creation for themselves. Oh and another possible nod that Sanae knows: when she visits Honoka's room and she isn't there, she understands and leaves her to have dinner...whereas with Nagisa, Ryota just stops and leaves her after a bit. (oh and is it just me or is the fusion of the Seeds just Ilkubo's first form) Oh and Kiriya's back...how...why...I don't get it either.

48 (49 until SS): Thus we reach the halfway mark of the Futari era (this has more episodes than Max Heart luckily) and basically it's just all the battle with the Evil King and the combined "Dark Warriors" (seriously that's what the real name of the Dark Seeds were) and not much really happens. Probably the biggest rage-inducing moment with this episode is simply the fact that despite Pollun no longer having the Power of Creation, he can still create the Rainbow Braces...really this feels more like foreshadowing for next season instead of following any of the rules we've had for the season up to now (seriously sometimes they just feel like they are making stuff up at this point), all while we basically get to the villain at the height of power (stealing the Power of Creation by reabsorbing the Dark Warriors as they fight the Cures) and the final battle in the real world with the Evil KIng basically just wanting to eliminate the Cures for causing so much trouble all this time. Really I just want this all over and done with...except I know what's coming and I really don't know if I want it over with that quickly.

49 (Futari Finale; 48 until SS): F*** YOU, QUEEN!

Yeah...that's really all I need to say about the final battle. Really the whole thing is just a huge build-up/ploy for Max Heart and nothing more; the final battle with the Evil King means nothing and the whole thing is basically just build up for next season with Queen going "Pollun, your power is just now starting to awaken" and "I believe in you" knowing what's going to happen at the start of next season. Heck, they don't even cut back to the Garden of Light and show what happens after that battle in some sort of congratulations to the team for finishing the job because they knew the sequel was coming and we get the lame "the fairies are going to sleep and will stay in the Garden of Light forever" nonsense. (the only cut back is showing the Prism Stones and Power of Creation are back home...where they should have been after the first 26 episodes.

Yet despite the nonsense, there are still things here that feel complete as an ending and are better than the first 26 episodes and what Max Heart gives us for an ending. I do like the song played during the final sequence, its' weird that Honoka is delivering a valedictory speech to third-years but I guess it's to keep her somewhat respectable...and I do like that we see Kiriya's final fate, but it's still bizarre he's "reborn" in our world and no one else from the Dark Zone was. (I still say Poisony was too and is still his sister but that's just me being wishful)

PRETTY CURE REWATCH - FUTARI WA PRETTY CURE - MISSION COMPLETE!
1/13 COMPLETION
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM #3791
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Yeah, I agree that what happens here is a much better resolution to the Fuji-P/Nagisa plot than the actual resolution they go with in Max Heart ("I'm a coward who will never admit my feelings and somehow that's ok").

And yes, it is a weird bit of tonal whiplash that Smile goes from a fun, lighthearted (for the most part) series to "Pierrot commits mass genocide by blowing up half the planet while the Precure have a brief mental breakdown with Miyuki screaming about how she wants to live".

That said, were it not for the fact that Max Heart exists the fact that the fairies just go to sleep forever now that their duty was finished would have been kind of a bittersweet note to end things on.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM #3792
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Yeah...considering how Honoka found Mipple in our world, having the two just go to sleep in our world to await the day they would have been needed again would have been an interesting ending. My only real thought is how random it was: why would they just randomly decide to go to sleep once the battle was over? I get Pollun because of how much power he exerted to defeat the Evil King (even if it still lead to Max Heart and thus guaranteeing Hikari's birth), but Mepple and Mipple's power weren't that direct and it didn't seem like they had a means of showing whether or not their power could go up and down in the same sort of way. If there was a line like "the path to the Garden of Light closed due to the final battle and thus we aren't going to be active for a while until it's re-established" (in the same way as the "resplitting of worlds" at the end of Maho Girls prior to the epilogue), then I would have probably accepted Mepple and Mipple's nap a bit more other than my "sequel bating" screams.
Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM #3793
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Every time Euphy is mentioned, it's hard not to think of this gem. Definitely not how Suzaku approaches this, but considering how he doesn't seem to have an ally in the world, this might be exactly what he needs, with her compassion representing everything positive with the world. But how well can she play Brittainian politics?

Whereas the cat caper: Lelouch has been very diligent about planning things out, and even coming up with contingency plans, though C.C.had to bail him out when he was trapped, twice so far. So what happens when something completely disrupts his plans... this is considered a minor error, leading to the levity moments the show has, but if he ever screws up on a bigger scale, it's not going to be so amusing.

Yet throughout all of this, friends, enemies, whatever Lelouch and Suzaku consider each other, they are able to stand as equals, and they're quite effective when they're on the same page.