Menu

Old September 19th, 2014, 09:51 AM #41
> Lt. Cmdr. Radner
THE POWER IS BACK BABY!!!

eBay
Lt. Cmdr. Radner

eBay

Anyone have any insight on who they are looking to cast as the lead? I kinda hope they get Chloe Grace Moretz but seeing as her star is on the rise, she would be a hard/impossible get for the show.
Lt. Cmdr. Radner is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM #42
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Oh wow, but CBS? They have a really annoying anti-Netlix/Hulu policy.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:22 AM #43
> DigificWriter
Banned

DigificWriter
Banned

Lt. Cmdr. Radner wrote: View Post

Anyone have any insight on who they are looking to cast as the lead? I kinda hope they get Chloe Grace Moretz but seeing as her star is on the rise, she would be a hard/impossible get for the show.
Given that this version of Kara is supposed to be 24 years old, I don't think they'd target somebody as young as CGM (she's only 17).
DigificWriter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:36 AM #44
> Red Ranger Sam
Power Ranger

Red Ranger Sam
Power Ranger

Underground Blue wrote: View Post

A couple of years ago, Beverly Hills Cop got the same deal. It doesn't mean it'll still air. I do think it stands a better chance because of the landscape on television right now with every broadcast network at least doing a superhero show (with notable mentions of the same thing happening on cable) and how Warner Bros. has to figure out what to do with the property.
No, Beverly Hills Cop was just a regular pilot. This is a series commitment, meaning CBS would face heavy penalties if it decides not to air it. Such deals are never sure things (i.e. Fox's Hieroglyph), but it's a much surer thing than any other type of pick-up. Most likely, Supergirl will air. There is no "we'll see" about it, really.
Red Ranger Sam is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:47 AM #45
> Lt. Cmdr. Radner

eBay
Lt. Cmdr. Radner

eBay

DigificWriter wrote: View Post

Given that this version of Kara is supposed to be 24 years old, I don't think they'd target somebody as young as CGM (she's only 17).
What's your point? Honestly I think she could play older and also she has the ability to do the stunt work a show like this probably would require which for a superhero show is a major check in the plus column
Lt. Cmdr. Radner is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:51 AM #46
> DigificWriter
Banned

DigificWriter
Banned

^ A 17-year-old acts completely differently than a 24-year-old.
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:02 AM #47
> Underground Blue
Power Ranger

Underground Blue
Power Ranger

Red Ranger Sam wrote: View Post

No, Beverly Hills Cop was just a regular pilot. This is a series commitment, meaning CBS would face heavy penalties if it decides not to air it. Such deals are never sure things (i.e. Fox's Hieroglyph), but it's a much surer thing than any other type of pick-up. Most likely, Supergirl will air. There is no "we'll see" about it, really.
No. Like I posted before, Beverly Hills Cop was a pilot production order, not a "regular pilot." For more on what this means, I'd click on the link to know the differences among what kind of pick-ups network are doing.

Your next sentence sounds like as if CBS wouldn't pay the penalty if it didn't go to series; which they would because they've done it in the past on shows they initially were interested in and then backed off from. Also, I linked to a report of a series commitment given to Tina Fey (as a reference, I'm sure there are others) of how nothing is a sure thing.

On top of anything else, I said this in my previous two posts:

So, we'll see if it works out, but I'm thinking that it will because of the reasons I gave before.

I do think it stands a better chance because of the landscape on television right now with every broadcast network at least doing a superhero show (with notable mentions of the same thing happening on cable) and how Warner Bros. has to figure out what to do with the property.
So, I don't know where you're saying with there's no "we'll see" when I actually added insight of why it stands the best chances of airing (now on CBS).
Underground Blue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:12 AM #48
> DigificWriter
Banned

DigificWriter
Banned

^ The term 'series commitment' as described in the articles on the show being ordered matches what is referred to in that article as a 'straight-to-series order', at least as far as I can tell.
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:34 AM #49
> Underground Blue
Power Ranger

Underground Blue
Power Ranger

^ Not particularly. A straight-to-series order would seem to be the best option for a creator for a show because it means that you're not just committing to doing work on a pilot. It means you're working on at least several episodes with the understanding that the pilot was great enough for more episodes. Series commitment means the series get a series order if the network and studio like the script. It's different from actually knowing how far the project is going to go.
Old September 19th, 2014, 12:41 PM #50
> Red Ranger Sam
Power Ranger

Red Ranger Sam
Power Ranger

No. Like I posted before, Beverly Hills Cop was a pilot production order, not a "regular pilot." For more on what this means, I'd click on the link to know the differences among what kind of pick-ups network are doing.

Your next sentence sounds like as if CBS wouldn't pay the penalty if it didn't go to series; which they would because they've done it in the past on shows they initially were interested in and then backed off from. Also, I linked to a report of a series commitment given to Tina Fey (as a reference, I'm sure there are others) of how nothing is a sure thing.

On top of anything else, I said this in my previous two posts:

So, I don't know where you're saying with there's no "we'll see" when I actually added insight of why it stands the best chances of airing (now on CBS).
You said Beverly Hills Cop got the same deal. It didn't. A pilot production order just means there will be a penalty if the pilot doesn't get made. It's still a regular pilot. The difference is that it's basically guaranteed to get past the script stage, which many potential pilots do not. No penalty would have been incurred by passing on the pilot, which is what happened.

A series commitment is very different. It means the show will be guaranteed a certain number of episodes (Usually 6-13, but there have been full 22 season orders before). Yes, there are examples of networks choosing to suffer the penalty instead of going forward with the show, but that doesn't happen very often (Fox is also a weird case, since they just went through a phase of trying to skip the pilot process altogether, which doesn't seem to be working out for them). Supergirl was a highly sought after project, CBS made a bigger commitment than Fox did for Gotham, and the project was bought about a day and a half after WB started trying to sell it apparently. The chances that this never make it to air are very slim.

So, yeah, there really isn't much of a we'll see here. Anything can happen, but at this point, it is extremely likely we'll see Supergirl produce at least 13 episodes for the 2015-2016 season.
Old September 19th, 2014, 12:56 PM #51
> Underground Blue
Power Ranger

Underground Blue
Power Ranger

5,000 posts for me? Wow.

You said Beverly Hills Cop got the same deal. It didn't. A pilot production order just means there will be a penalty if the pilot doesn't get made. It's still a regular pilot. The difference is that it's basically guaranteed to get past the script stage, which many potential pilots do not. No penalty would have been incurred by passing on the pilot, which is what happened.

I don't know about that, but it did get a pilot production commitment. So, my mistake for saying what I said earlier.
That is what I said. I did correct myself. You just didn't see the post.

A series commitment is very different. It means the show will be guaranteed a certain number of episodes (Usually 6-13, but there have been full 22 season orders before). Yes, there are examples of networks choosing to suffer the penalty instead of going forward with the show, but that doesn't happen very often (Fox is also a weird case, since they just went through a phase of trying to skip the pilot process altogether, which doesn't seem to be working out for them). Supergirl was a highly sought after project, CBS made a bigger commitment than Fox did for Gotham, and the project was bought about a day and a half after WB started trying to sell it apparently. The chances that this never make it to air are very slim.

So, yeah, there really isn't much of a we'll see here. Anything can happen, but at this point, it is extremely likely we'll see Supergirl produce at least 13 episodes for the 2015-2016 season.
... Again My opinion is:

I do think it stands a better chance because of the landscape on television right now with every broadcast network at least doing a superhero show (with notable mentions of the same thing happening on cable) and how Warner Bros. has to figure out what to do with the property.
It's entirely possible that certain things don't work out while putting it together. In particular, CBS has let people down for the past couple of years now on properties. Two years ago, it was Beverly Hills Cop. One year ago, it was How I Met Your Dad. Could this property end up with the same fate, despite the different way it was picked up? Who knows, but refer to my opinion above; which agrees with you.
Old September 19th, 2014, 01:16 PM #52
> Red Ranger Sam
Power Ranger

Red Ranger Sam
Power Ranger

It's entirely possible that certain things don't work out while putting it together. In particular, CBS has let people down for the past couple of years now on properties. Two years ago, it was Beverly Hills Cop. One year ago, it was How I Met Your Dad. Could this property end up with the same fate, despite the different way it was picked up? Who knows, but refer to my opinion above; which agrees with you.
All I'm saying is these are very different situations. What happened with those shows will have no bearing on this one. And if something prevents Supergirl from airing, it won't have anything to do with the fates of Beverly Hills Cop and How I Met Your Dad.

And I don't really think are opinions are the same, as we seem to be using very different reasoning to come to our conclusions.

Either way, I am probably making a way bigger deal of your "we'll see" comment than is necessary, and I apologize for trying to pick it apart needlessly and slightly aggressively.
Old September 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM #53
> Underground Blue
Power Ranger

Underground Blue
Power Ranger

All I'm saying is these are very different situations. What happened with those shows will have no bearing on this one. And if something prevents Supergirl from airing, it won't have anything to do with the fates of Beverly Hills Cop and How I Met Your Dad.

And I don't really think are opinions are the same, as we seem to be using very different reasoning to come to our conclusions.

Either way, I am probably making a way bigger deal of your "we'll see" comment than is necessary, and I apologize for trying to pick it apart needlessly and slightly aggressively.
I'm not saying that those shows do. I'm saying that CBS has disappointed before.

As far as I can tell, both of us want the show to air right? Well, then, that's the core of all of this.

That's fine. Same here. It's an exciting time for superheroes (and supervillains).
Old September 19th, 2014, 04:35 PM #54
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

CBS is definitely not what I would have expected.

Though, after Extant, I gather they're trying to branch out to more physics-defying levels of fiction.

Lt. Cmdr. Radner wrote: View Post

Anyone have any insight on who they are looking to cast as the lead?
Adrianne Palicki--crap, too late.

My much larger interest is in what costume they're going with. In-Ze's has always been my favorite, but New 52 would look pretty slick.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 05:31 PM #55
> PowerDigiDragon
Public Enemy Number #1

PowerDigiDragon
Public Enemy Number #1

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

Oh wow, but CBS? They have a really annoying anti-Netlix/Hulu policy.
How I meet your mother has been on Netflix and it use to air on CBS. I don't think all thier shows are anti-netflix/hulu. Plus we don't know what's in the contract. WB may have it in thier contract that CBS can't block those streaming sites from the show.
PowerDigiDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 05:34 PM #56
> DigificWriter
Banned

DigificWriter
Banned

CBS signed an agreement with Netflix to make a bunch of their current and past shows available on the site.

Last edited by DigificWriter; September 19th, 2014 at 08:46 PM.
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:12 PM #57
> VampirePaladin
Power Ranger

VampirePaladin
Power Ranger

Supergirl is my favorite comic book character so I am super excited. I didn't watch any of Arrow or had any plans to watch Flash, but if they end up all being in continuity with a Supergirl show than I guess I'll have to expand my TV watching.
VampirePaladin is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 08:42 PM #58
> Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

Poweranimals
A Blaze of Glory!

DigificWriter wrote: View Post

CBS signed an agreement with Netflix to make a bunch of their current and shows available on the site.
Interesting. I wish they'd include Big Bang Theory.
Poweranimals is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 08:46 PM #59
> DigificWriter
Banned

DigificWriter
Banned

^ It might happen eventually.
Old September 19th, 2014, 11:25 PM #60
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Poweranimals wrote: View Post

Interesting. I wish they'd include Big Bang Theory.
The first six seasons of Big Bang Theory are on Netflix Germany (it launched a few days ago, kinda small selection of movies and shows but some nice stuff is on thre like Fargo and Penny Dreadful) so it's definitely possible.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote