Home Menu

Menu

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM #1
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

American Horror Story

Did a search, and didn't come up with anything...if there is a preexisting thread, please kindly merge or delete this one.

I finally got the time to watch the pilot episode..and it was quite bizarre. No real scares, but I'm probably too desensitized for that anyway. The premise sounds interesting enough, but the execution (so far) is a bit muddled. They were going in all different kinds of direction with the scenes/story. It's like they combined The Shining and bits and pieces from other horror franchises..but no exact direction yet. I did find it funny with the maid scenes...makes me wonder if his wife sees that with the other people who's visited the house. The rubber suit scene though...haha/wow.

on another note, when did basic cable get so profanity happy...we're one pussy away from a full on fuck.
Deltron is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:27 PM #2
> puperazzi
Dormant Org

eBay
puperazzi
Dormant Org

eBay

I caught the premiere, and I don't think it's nearly as good as it thinks it is. The editing is more annoying than it is scary. The maid is kind of intriguing, but the Dylan McDermott nekkidness and everyone using all the conjugations of the word "shit" aren't really enough to keep me coming back.

Okay, fine. Maybe the Dylan McDermott nekkidness...
puperazzi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM #3
> Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

I personally enjoyed it; not sure why, because there were weaknesses. Maybe my Vicodin had finally kicked in, since I felt nothing from using it other than pain relief...

Anyway, after watching behind the scenes stuff On Demand, the house apparently reflects the people inside; makes sense, thinking back. The young maid as only Ben can see after he cheated; the sex for Vivian after having it with Ben.

Not sure about the basement with Violet, though. Violence=cutting?
Sir Koji is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:58 PM #4
> BatZilla98
VIP Ranger

BatZilla98
VIP Ranger

I think they tried to cram a lil too much into the premiere, but it showed some promise.
BatZilla98 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:15 PM #5
> johnpariah
Power Ranger

johnpariah
Power Ranger

agreed. the premiere was BUSY. I think it was originally supposed to be a 2 hour premiere event, and than it got cut down to 1 hour for some..crazy reason...so they cut and edited it alot.

I'm treating this show the same way im treating The New 52. I'm giving most of the books a couple issues before I make my final choice on them....so I'm going to give this show a couple episodes before I decided to take it or leave it.
johnpariah is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM #6
> breaker
Power Ranger

breaker
Power Ranger

I still dont know what to make of it but I want to see the next episode so thats good right?

Supai Sempai wrote: View Post

Okay, fine. Maybe the Dylan McDermott nekkidness...
This too.....
breaker is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:45 PM #7
> Sushi Samurai
Iron Ranger

Sushi Samurai
Iron Ranger

I actually enjoyed it. I did find the editing and cinematography to be crappy but I think that is more on the hands of Ryan Murphy in a way. A lot of editing and cinematography stuff they do in Glee is definitely on this show. Like, Ryan Murphy told them to do stuff like Glee. Persoanlly, I believe they should develop their own style of editing and cinematography so the show can be even more unique.

The thing I am most impressed by is the writing. There is a lot going on and it is very interesting to learn more and more about it. I mean, we haven't had a good horror show in a long LONG time... or ever I think... idk. All I know is that there were some scary kids shows that got cancel but nothing for adults/ mature audiences on primetime. I also dig the character because of how they are two types of stereotypes in horror movies involving a haunted house. One, the couple with a marriage in jeoparody because one cheated. And two, a daughter who has trouble at school who finds comfort in a weirdo that makes her do weird stuff. They are crammed together and it would be interesting how they collide. Dylan McDermott's nakedness is getting annoying. Her probably spent more time in the pilot without shirt than with one.

Another note about the editing, they should stop the horribly done match cutting. Seriously, it feels like they didn't cut enough or that it is extremely uneven. Also, how they never change the position.

The show has got me so far. I didn't feel like the pilot was busy but after watching next week's premiere, it looks pretty busy.
Sushi Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:36 PM #8
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

Deltron wrote: View Post

on another note, when did basic cable get so profanity happy...we're one pussy away from a full on fuck.
This is a Ryan Murphy show on FX, so if you've seen Nip/Tuck, the strong profanity and butt shots are the norm. FX does put on the brakes on the 'F' word and full-frontal nudity.

Supai Sempai wrote: View Post

I caught the premiere, and I don't think it's nearly as good as it thinks it is. The editing is more annoying than it is scary. The maid is kind of intriguing, but the Dylan McDermott nekkidness and everyone using all the conjugations of the word "shit" aren't really enough to keep me coming back.
That was the lone aspect of AHS I didn't like. Way too choppy, and if I was editing this pilot for Murphy, I'd minimize the jump-cutting and handheld camerawork. And McDermott only showed his ass like what, two times? That's not a lot. (Nip/Tuck had double, even triple, the number of butt shots per episode.)

That said, the pilot has a lot of promise. As long as AHS doesn't go off on absurd/bizarre tangents like Nip/Tuck did and keep the intrigue level high, I'll be tuning in for the next episode.
Matt C is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:05 PM #9
> BatZilla98
VIP Ranger

BatZilla98
VIP Ranger

I kept thinking how much I need to get American Gothic on DVD while watching this show.
BatZilla98 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:38 PM #10
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

2 episodes in...and I'm still intrigued by the show...this episode was good, better than the premiere...but I'm still not feeling the chopiness of storytelling they're using...on the other hand, it does keep me interested.
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM #11
> Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

If they keep doing flashbacks, it'll be interesting.

Tate is connected to the house; didn't see that coming.
Old October 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM #12
> johnpariah
Power Ranger

johnpariah
Power Ranger

another great episode. I agree with Sir Koji, Tate being connected to the house was kinda out of left field. I mean it doesnt SUPRISE me per se, but i didnt expect them to go that angle-at least not yet
johnpariah is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:23 PM #13
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

Kinda odd the Ben didn't hear the vibrations of his phone until that moment his (ex)GF left...granted it was in her bag and all...but that's one loud ass vibration. Even if she tried keeping the phone away from him, he still should've been able to hear it (unless it was off?). Was he turning it off during the embracing scene? Didn't really pay too close attention.
Old October 14th, 2011, 06:26 AM #14
> Nikki Silver
She who hunts the Hunter

Nikki Silver
She who hunts the Hunter

Sir Koji wrote: View Post

Tate is connected to the house; didn't see that coming.
In the first episode, there was a scene during their session where Tate is shown suddenly standing behind Ben with a large slash on his head. That's when I knew he was a ghost, because it was the same thing that happened when Addy saw the twins behind Vivien.

I think that, when the editing happens, it means something is happening with the house. Like with Tate's ghost behind Ben, there was a chop from him talking to him standing behind him dead to him talking again.
Nikki Silver is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 06:47 AM #15
> Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

I remember that, but didn't think anything of it. I had thought it was just something from Tate's point of view due to his troubled psyche, or something along those lines.
Old October 16th, 2011, 07:09 PM #16
> BaTmAn
Power Ranger

BaTmAn
Power Ranger

I liked this episode more than the first one. Much better pacing.

I'm guessing Tate is Constance's son that was beautiful but died? Speaking of, did she intend Violet to eat that cupcake, or knew the intruders were coming?

I'm still waiting for the moment when Viv walks in on Ben sleeping with the creepy old maid.
BaTmAn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM #17
> Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

I'm pretty sure the cupcake was simply revenge, as evidenced by the spit, and trying to get Vivien to eat the first one.

And she also had no idea what her Adelaide was talking about with bad men next door. That, and she seemed surprised to see the two running from the house after escaping.

Granted, could have assumed they would die, and the cupcakes would help in that and she did see it coming. Her seeing them escape was surprising since she expected them to end up dead. But that seems less likely to me.
Old October 20th, 2011, 06:29 AM #18
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

This show gets better and better. Loved this episode. Favorite scene is the argument between Ben, Viven, and Moria. Viven was looking at Ben like "what the fuck are you saying/seeing?"
Old October 20th, 2011, 07:39 AM #19
> Matt C
VIP Ranger

Matt C
VIP Ranger

The show is getting more and more fascinating. Hopefully it won't dig itself in a rut like Nip/Tuck did in its last few seasons (provided AMS even gets renewed for a second season).
Matt C is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM #20
> Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

I enjoyed that conversation. Should have split screen it so we saw both perspectives. That would have been a bit more interesting than changing the actress depending on who was talking, though that was a nice touch.

I didn't care for last night, actually. Not much happened. Though we know about old Moira's eye now. I wondered that since episode 1.

Next week looks great. I'm excited that Rubber Man is back, personally.