Home Menu

Menu

Old July 13th, 2019, 06:44 AM #2821
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

It depends on the approach. I doubt we'll ever have a Dekaranger-style magical girls series where everyone knows who they are and the Cures help in that sort of way; and the closest we've had is something like Happiness Charge where the Cures at least are more like civil servants despite still having secret identities. But maybe something akin to the Spider-Man movies or the MCU would be fun if done in a way that works and the human characters at least matter and aren't just victims. (especially if you draw on ideas that have worked on the past; if there's one thing I liked about DokiDoki, it's that the humans who discover the Cure identities become helpful to them extremely well)

Another thing I sort of want to see in a Cure season is maybe another approach regarding families, particularly a more realistic broken one. One thing I loved about Miki is that it was implied her parents were divorced and she had to meet up with her little brother separately, but we never meet her father or find out more why it just didn't work. It isn't about separation on account of "evil things" (Yuri and Ako's dads), or just being gone all the time (Rikka's and Megumi's dads and what it sounds like is going on with the Pink in Star Twinkle), just sort of real life situations and how it affects the characters and who they are.
Ataruman is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:55 AM #2822
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

We sort of have that in Star Twinkle. Hikaru’s dad is away a lot because of his job and can only see his family once a year, Elena’s parents are usually away on business resulting in her having to take care of her siblings more often than not, Madoka’s dad is a government agent who seems a bit cold on the surface, Yuni’s entire race is currently frozen in stone and we don’t know anything about Lala’s family at the moment.

It hasn’t been explored a whole lot but it does seem that the families in the current season are a bit more dysfunctional than usual.
Akiba Black is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:58 AM #2823
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Eh, but a lot of them are special in some regards or similar. As said, sort of just feel like a situation like a divorce like Miki would be one to go into a bit more in that regards. Something that isn't just "I live in a rich house and have others to care for me while my parents run around the world" or what we tend to get as mentioned with Rikka or Megumi.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:05 AM #2824
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Fair enough. Also on the subject of secret identities, Mana just randomly outing herself on live TV will never not be funny to me.

Another possible angle they could take is the concept of manmade Precure powers (which we sort of saw with Sebastian’s device in that one episode of DokiDoki and to an extent Dark Precure as well). Not for a whole team of course as that would sort of defeat the point but maybe it could work for an Extra Cure or something though.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:23 AM #2825
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

An artificial Cure would be amazing. Unfortunately it would take away from the "magical elements and fairies" thing but considering we have teams where they get magic without fairies, it could be cool. Heck could be just someone who ultimately ends up comprehending magic and using it in a scientific method sort of like, as mentioned, either Dark Cure or Cure Sebastian/Cutie Madam. (heck one idea I had as a post-script for DokiDoki: have Reina take Sebatsian's tech and modify/work on it with the Trump Kingdom to give her pseudo-Cure powers)
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:47 AM #2826
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

It’s sort of too bad the artificial changer Sebastian made was just dropped after one episode as I feel like you could have done a bit more with the concept (perfect and mass produce those things and you’d basically have an army at your disposal).

It’d probably be a good idea to include some sort of countermeasure (like locking the changer to the DNA signature of the first person to use it or something) in order to keep it out of the wrong hands though.

It has its faults but I actually wouldn’t mind a DokiDoki sequel movie/series provided it was properly handled. It just feels like the ending leaves a lot of doors open compared to most of the other seasons.

For example:

-What are the girls lives like now that they’re basically public figures (though aside from maybe Rikka most of them basically already were even before they became superheroes)

-How is Regina adjusting to having to not be a spoiled brat anymore in addition to suddenly having a sister and being a member of the DokiDoki team.

Also while she doesn’t really need to transform (her default outfit is already pretty close to the main team and she has her own innate powers) it might be cool if she took on a new name when in battle (Cure Joker has a nice ring to it)

-What are the Selfish trio up to now that they’re out of a job

-How are relations between Japan and the newly formed Trump Republic now that the two realms basically have open boarders between each other and people can come and go as they wish

There’s probably more I’m forgetting. It’s most likely not going to happen though.

Last edited by Akiba Black; July 13th, 2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old July 13th, 2019, 09:01 AM #2827
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

While DokiDoki isn't my favorite season (it's actually my least favorite non-sequel series), it does have all that potential and more I admit. My only real problem is that while the Selfish Trio escaped, there really isn't any real threats for the DokiDoki threat to deal with since it was all about selfish elements and the Proto-Selfishness is basically no more (or at least stopped due to Mana)

One thing I sort of wouldn't mind again is another main villain who isn't just hidden in the shadows...at least at first. Even though he was more just a front for the real threat (since Noise was just hinted at from day one), I loved just seeing Mephisto active from the first Suite episode and being so crucial and active throughout the story until it was time to bring Noise in. I heard HUGtto sort of did the inverse where it seems like it was another typical "eldritch abomination" before the George Kurai reveal (and yeah you could say Goyan but that was something else altogether), but I just want to see another Mephisto type as a villain in the franchise...or at least early on as opposed to "some random shadowy figure barking orders" or "some guy who may be our main villain" who remains hidden away such as Sabaku.
Old July 13th, 2019, 09:27 AM #2828
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Well I mean you could always introduce a new threat for the team to deal with (and it’s not like the concept of human selfishness is going to just disappear).

And yeah, having a main villain that was actually an active player on the front lines would be nice. I think the last one in that regard was Joker (though Bel and Close did technically wind up becoming the final bosses of their respective shows, albeit in a roundabout way in regards to the former).
Old July 13th, 2019, 10:05 AM #2829
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Problem with Bel and Joker is that we knew the Selfish King and Pierrot were still "There" and thus the eldritch abomination was going to be there regardless and they were still working for them. Joker also reminds me more of Kawarino in that regards: he's technically the main spokesman of the main villain but the main villain is so hidden away or not interacting that they may as well be the real boss in some regards. Honestly even Sabaku felt more authentic in that way because we had no idea about Dune until about the time Potpourri was born.

Bel was bizarre regardless anyway: sure he was on the front line but it's like he wanted to be the boss but wasn't and only did because of the Proto-Selfishness being released from the Trump King once he was saved. (at least it honestly worked better than Close)
Old July 13th, 2019, 10:49 AM #2830
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Considering Pierrot was basically just your generic demon king and only physically appeared like twice total Joker might as well have been the main villain of Smile.

Another concept that could be interesting is a villain that was 100% human. Aside from King Selfish and the first major antagonist of Maho Girls whose name I forget I think the closest we’ve come to that is Professor Sabaku.

I kind of thought they were going to pull something like that in Star Twinkle with Hikaru’s dad but now that we’ve actually met the man that doesn’t seem likely anymore.

Going the Boukenger route and having a season with multiple competing villain factions could be interesting as well.

On another note, how did Kawarino come back at the end of GoGo after essentially being dragged kicking and screaming down to hell at the end of the previous season. Also, why would Bunbee hire him?

Somewhat related but GoGo’s opening includes a shot of an old man in a cloak (who I assume is supposed to be the Director), however to my knowledge this particular man never actually appears in the series itself.

Last edited by Akiba Black; July 13th, 2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old July 13th, 2019, 12:01 PM #2831
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I think the Yes! 5 seasons were the only ones with pure "human"-esque villains, being humans/humanoids with no eldritch element. (not even faking it like George) Despariah was basically just a human in a mask, and Boss I think was meant to be human but only had a monster form to probably match with the general concepts the franchise had (well the Yes! 5 era) You could say Moebius is similar, but he's not really eldritch other than "living supercomputer" and even then he was actually created by the people of Labyrinth before becoming obsessed in creating total order and thus the 1984-esque world and absorbing fairies for dimensional conquest.

The return of Kawarino I think was just a joke to show Bunbee on top of the world now he's broken out with his own company and whatnot. It probably wasn't meant to be anything.

As for why Boss never matched up with the opening...eh, probably the same as Love's superpowers in ep. 1 of Fresh: they had one idea but went in another direction. My guess is when you have Shigeru Chiba as your main villain, going with "old guy in a cloak" makes no sense.
Old July 13th, 2019, 12:34 PM #2832
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Yeah I assumed it was an early design for him (though they could have at least updated the opening later on to reflect the new version).

Speaking of Kawarino, he and Joker probably have some of the more disturbing “deaths” as far as villains in this franchise go in my opinion.

As I mentioned, the former basically gets dragged kicking and screaming into Hell by one of the many subordinates he screwed over during the series while the latter gets melted into a puddle of sludge before getting absorbed back into Pierrot, laughing and praising his master the whole way through.
Old July 13th, 2019, 02:22 PM #2833
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

The fact it was Bloody that did him in really sort of shows that Kawarino nearly went too far with his "Black Mask" plans and it sort of shows. He's able to get away with it with Bunbee's subordinates because each of them wanted power and couldn't get it with the way things were (Girinma was just weak and wanted strength, Arachnea wanted to prove herself and Gamao just wanted to prove he wasn't just a loser who ran away from his troubles) But the duo under Desparaiah herself probably were stronger and he had to resort to tactics that were way more unsavory to prove himself as #1, basically forcing both Hadenya and Bloody to gain the power with Hadenya succumbing to it and Bloody nearly doing so but not quite considering his revenge once the Cures defeat him. Considering we probably never fully saw the full capabilities for him, that really speaks volumes about how powerful Bloody was and what a slime Kawarino was in screwing over everyone one way or another (including, of course, his near murder of Bunbee really only being saved barely so he could be one of the few bright spots of Eternal)
Old July 13th, 2019, 02:40 PM #2834
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

We need more villains like that in this franchise honestly (I think Joker may have been the last one), just these irredeemable sociopaths who barely mask their true intentions, will gleefully manipulate both their enemies and allies for the sake of their goal, and are loyal solely to the Big Bad.

It also might be interesting for one of said villains to take it a step further, overthrowing their boss and taking over as the final enemy. I believe the closest we’ve come to that is Bel and Close, but they only made a bid for power after their leader was already defeated (which as you mentioned is weird because the former spends the entire series going on about how he wants to be No. 1).

Nowadays most Precure villains are typically either boring or eventually get redeemed/give up at the end and it might be helpful to learn that sometimes there are just truly bad people in the world and you can’t save everyone.

Last edited by Akiba Black; July 13th, 2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old July 13th, 2019, 03:54 PM #2835
> Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

Ataruman
Adorable and Epic

I don't mind redeemable villains when it's done right. (not talking about future Cures cause...of course; but more the likes of Mephisto, the Bad End Trio or Shut). But considering how evil villains were and how even in the past we had good villains who just died (tear for all of Dark Fall for that), having those that are irredeamable or even those who still die but have a bit of honor to them wouldn't be a bad thing.

Oh and honestly I thought the Neverending Chaos side of Maho Girls was rather irredeemable and great villains who all technically "died"...even if they basically became the evil equivalent of the Linkle Stones in Deusmast himself. Heck, a cold, calculating villain who isn't psycho but still wins despite losing/dying like Orba another one I'd like to see be tempted with again.
Old July 13th, 2019, 04:26 PM #2836
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Agreed about Dark Fall (Kintolesky in particular deserved way better than he got). It’s just that with the exception of Maho Girls it seems like every Precure villain in recent years has to be redeemed somehow no matter how much of a bastard they were beforehand. I’m fine with letting some off the hook if it feels like they’ve earned it but it’s also ok sometimes to just let bad guys be bad guys.

On the other hand, Kintolesky is probably one of my favorites as, while he was a bit quick to dismiss things unrelated to training and competition, he also wasn’t really that evil either. He never attacked while the girls were busy with something, went out of his way to ensure they’d always fight in unpopulated areas, and cared more about his rivalry with the Precure and improving himself than he did with his actual mission (heck, he actually gave Saki some pretty useful advice once). I feel like in a more modern season there might have been a better chance of him being spared in the end.
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:00 PM #2837
> ⚡GreenNinja
Ninja of the Future

GreenNinja
Ninja of the Future

This week on StarPri, it's The Trouble With Tribbles. I'm hit or miss on mascot episodes (though some, like the episodes with Puff and Aroma, are pretty good), but this one wasn't too bad. Because it used the subplot of Yuni learning from the rest of the team that she doesn't need to be so down on herself all the time. She's got friends now, and she can rely on them. Plus, Yuni briefly transformed into Mao to serve a distraction. It looks like her other identities haven't entirely gone away, even if she's getting used to being Yuni around people.

Next time is another planet exploration episode, this time going to a planet that looks like every video game ice level. Shiveria, Freezeezy Peak, take your pick. And it means a new pen!
GreenNinja is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:03 PM #2838
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Has Yuni interacted with anyone on Earth besides the Precure as of yet? At this rate it’s possible that they might buck the trend and actually not have her enroll in Hikaru’s school eventually.
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:05 PM #2839
> ⚡GreenNinja
Ninja of the Future

GreenNinja
Ninja of the Future

She drew the attention of bystanders as Mao, but her only sustained interaction was still with Hikaru and friends. Still learning to open up to people.
GreenNinja is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:00 PM #2840
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Also have they updated the opening yet?

Tags
sentai with cupcakes