Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2019, 08:49 PM #3501
maslego's Avatar
> maslego
Idea Ranger
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,653
maslego
Idea Ranger
maslego's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,653



At the end of the day the PR movie cost more to make than it made. Period. Nothing we say can change that fact. No amount of hype about representation, no amount of fanfics, it doesn't matter how high the actors careers have come since then. At the end of the day what the studios pay attention to is "Was this worth making" For PR 2017, the answer was NO.
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:15 PM #3502
Titanium321's Avatar
> ⚡Titanium321
Moderator
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,797
Titanium321
Moderator
Titanium321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 31,797



maslego wrote: View Post

At the end of the day the PR movie cost more to make than it made. Period. Nothing we say can change that fact. No amount of hype about representation, no amount of fanfics, it doesn't matter how high the actors careers have come since then. At the end of the day what the studios pay attention to is "Was this worth making" For PR 2017, the answer was NO.
Well, no, it did make its budget back and then some, it just didn't make enough to be considered profitable by hollywood standards. Although, given the bizarre way in which Lionsgate actually funds its films, it kind of did make a profit for Lionsgate's actual financing, it's the distributors around the world that sort of lost money on their end for their financial contribution.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:27 PM #3503
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,339
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,339



Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Well, no, it did make its budget back and then some, it just didn't make enough to be considered profitable by hollywood standards. Although, given the bizarre way in which Lionsgate actually funds its films, it kind of did make a profit for Lionsgate's actual financing, it's the distributors around the world that sort of lost money on their end for their financial contribution.
But did make its budget back? Regardless of where Lionsgate got the money for the budget the entire US gross (Which was where Lionsgate alone would be getting their money considering they sold international distribution) was only $85M. Even if they brought down their own contribution to cutting the budget in half at $50M they're still paying for all the US advertising which would come up to or exceed that $85M US take. And that $85M is not all for Lionsgate, a good chunk of it is going to theatres as well as other production companies who worked on the movie. Yes in the end Lionsgate may have broken even or maybe a splinter in the green, but profitable as a movie? Hell no. Not by any standard let alone Hollywood ones. Lionsgate burned all of those international distributors who wouldn't touch a sequel with a hazmat suit on. Lionsgate was just happy to walk away from the movie without too many scars.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:35 PM #3504
Allio's Avatar
> Allio
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,519
Allio
Power Ranger
Allio's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 8,519



from my understanding, your typical movie studio is X2.5 to break even.
Allio is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 09:42 PM #3505
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,339
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,339



Allio wrote: View Post

from my understanding, your typical movie studio is X2.5 to break even.
In most cases, but Lionsgate pays for its films by selling off international distribution at the start and getting vastly reduced returns when those countries release them because they're not getting a distributor cut anymore. So yes Lionsgate's method helps get things off the ground, but their back end returns are vastly smaller everywhere outside the US than they would be otherwise. So in the end they're really banking on it performing well in the US and it just didn't.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 13th, 2019, 01:01 AM #3506
big smile's Avatar
> big smile
VIP Rider
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,325
big smile
VIP Rider
big smile's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,325



Titanium321 wrote: View Post

....So they gave him pants then? It was the naked thing that threw me.
Sonic's generally never worn clothes, but he doesn't 'look' naked. In the Paramount movie design, they made him too human-looking so he looks like a naked person. I doubt they will be giving him pants, but hopefully, they'll learn from the game version where the lack of clothes doesn't look creepy naked.
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:45 AM #3507
Pixelated Prophet's Avatar
> Pixelated Prophet
.....
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 560
Pixelated Prophet
.....
Pixelated Prophet's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 560



I donít understand how some people hate the 2017 movie for being breakfast club like when that is what Dino Thunder was. Doug Solan even pitched Dino Thunder as breakfast club like.
Pixelated Prophet is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 05:50 AM #3508
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,710
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,710



Pixelated Prophet wrote: View Post

I donít understand how some people hate the 2017 movie for being breakfast club like when that is what Dino Thunder was. Doug Solan even pitched Dino Thunder as breakfast club like.
Because in Dino Thunder the ranger stuff was still the main focus, while the movie made the Breakfast Club stuff the main focus and the result was very little ranger stuff until the end, and even then there wasn't much outside of zords.

I don't hate it, but I can easily understand why some people might.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (2)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 13th, 2019, 06:59 AM #3509
RiffRanger's Avatar
> RiffRanger
Justice For No One
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,190
RiffRanger
Justice For No One
RiffRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,190



Lionsgateís TOTAL in-house investment in the movie was $32.5 million. The rest of the $100 million plus marketing (reported to be 35 million) was covered by selling international distribution rights. So with the $85 million it made in theaters plus however much it made in home media and streaming profits, Lionsgate made quite a lot of money from the movie. The international distributors lost their asses, though. That was likely the biggest roadblock to Lionsgate making a sequel. They were never going to get the distributors to come back and give them more money to finance one.
RiffRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:12 AM #3510
Peter's Avatar
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,139
Peter
"Stegosaurus!"
Peter's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 31,139



Pixelated Prophet wrote: View Post

I donít understand how some people hate the 2017 movie for being breakfast club like when that is what Dino Thunder was.
Because, in a 40 episode season, it didn't take the Power Rangers until episode 37 to morph and start throwing punches.

If your story is almost 90% done before the Power Rangers actually start Power Rangering, then your story has a problem. A big one.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (2)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:55 AM #3511
mmprfan09's Avatar
> mmprfan09
One In A Million
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,445
mmprfan09
One In A Million
mmprfan09's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,445



Pixelated Prophet wrote: View Post

I donít understand how some people hate the 2017 movie for being breakfast club like when that is what Dino Thunder was. Doug Solan even pitched Dino Thunder as breakfast club like.
Because dino thunder didnít forget what power rangers was about?

Peter wrote: View Post

Because, in a 40 episode season, it didn't take the Power Rangers until episode 37 to morph and start throwing punches.

If your story is almost 90% done before the Power Rangers actually start Power Rangering, then your story has a problem. A big one.
Hey, at least we got character development! Jason never really becomes a good leader, but at least he and his dad made up. Billy made friends. Zack is still poor with a dying mother. Trini patched a wall. Kim learned absolutely nothing.

Last edited by mmprfan09; July 13th, 2019 at 08:03 AM.
mmprfan09 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 13th, 2019, 07:56 AM #3512
Akumaru's Avatar
> Akumaru
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,949
Akumaru
Power Ranger
Akumaru's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,949



^ I suppose that was the Main Problem of the movie, even i enjoyed the movie, and they morph and we get a Battle with the Putties and Goldar/Megazord, I suppose most of the audience expect more kind of the normal formula was SuperHero movie of Marvel always give to was, which always had been working
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 08:53 AM #3513
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,617
AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,617



Pixelated Prophet wrote: View Post

I donít understand how some people hate the 2017 movie for being breakfast club like when that is what Dino Thunder was. Doug Solan even pitched Dino Thunder as breakfast club like.
That part of the story dropped like a hot meteor rock after what, the third episode? I think there was like one poke at their social cliques with the Ruby Dragon thing, and then that was it.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 09:17 AM #3514
SakuraRanger's Avatar
> SakuraRanger
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 70
SakuraRanger
Power Ranger
SakuraRanger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 70



I assume most of older fans just wanted a full fighting super hero movie instead of a drama teen movie with superpowers. Ok, I get it. But you cannot deny the movie was a good one.
SakuraRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 09:28 AM #3515
Xenotome's Avatar
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,339
Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕
Xenotome's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 30,339



SakuraRanger wrote: View Post

But you cannot deny the movie was a good one.
Surely you can. When you set yourself up as Breakfast Club and in the end don't deliver on that... at all? Like Power Rangers was a BAD teen drama full of cliches and problems that don't really resolve. Basically they all had their baggage, then Billy died and they decided they had to put aside their bullshit and in the end everything's all better.

And really Rotten Tomatoes' audience score for it is only at 65% so there are quite a good chunk who didn't like it.
Xenotome is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 09:32 AM #3516
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,617
AkaPrimoKanyeWest
#RiderTimesUp
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 81,617



SakuraRanger wrote: View Post

I assume most of older fans just wanted a full fighting super hero movie instead of a drama teen movie with superpowers. Ok, I get it. But you cannot deny the movie was a good one.
It was a decent one, but not good.

Good is Trini and Zack mattering as much as the others. We all love Billy, but I don't think anyone would have minded a few less lines to give some more balance to the cast.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 01:27 PM #3517
maslego's Avatar
> maslego
Idea Ranger
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,653
maslego
Idea Ranger
maslego's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,653



My biggest problem with the 2017 movie will always be Kim.

No questions about it, she's a sex offender.

She shared a person's sexual photo without their permission and considering they're in high school odds are that person was a minor. That's legally distributing child pornography.

Her whole story was that she saw the face of the friend's father when he saw the picture and learned her lesson, except NO. She didn't.

SHE
KEPT
THE
PHOTO

Hell at one point she destroys her old phone and she STILL kept the photo meaning she went out of her way to keep it.
And then the proof she learned nothing.

SHE
SHOWED
IT
TO
JASON!

And on top of all of that she had the nerve to see her former friends running for their lives during the zord battle and laugh at them saying they deserve it!

In a good movie Kim would have been the victim, a girl betrayed by a close friend who needs to learn to trust again. Not the person who violated someone's trust on that level!
maslego is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 01:37 PM #3518
AkaGreen's Avatar
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,710
AkaGreen
JusticeForK
AkaGreen's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 14,710



I never really saw it, but thinking about it more... wow, PR2017 was really a Dino Thunder movie with MMPR names.

The more you think about it, the more it follows the plot of Day of the Dino way more than Day of the Dumpster.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 13th, 2019, 02:02 PM #3519
> Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,456
Spider-Phoenix
Setting things right
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,456



maslego wrote: View Post

And on top of all of that she had the nerve to see her former friends running for their lives during the zord battle and laugh at them saying they deserve it!
And she looked like she was feeling pleasure with what was happening!

AkaGreen wrote: View Post

I never really saw it, but thinking about it more... wow, PR2017 was really a Dino Thunder movie with MMPR names.

The more you think about it, the more it follows the plot of Day of the Dino way more than Day of the Dumpster.
It's Day of the Dino gone horribly wrong, then.
Spider-Phoenix is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2019, 03:46 PM #3520
mmprfan09's Avatar
> mmprfan09
One In A Million
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,445
mmprfan09
One In A Million
mmprfan09's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,445



maslego wrote: View Post

My biggest problem with the 2017 movie will always be Kim.

No questions about it, she's a sex offender.

She shared a person's sexual photo without their permission and considering they're in high school odds are that person was a minor. That's legally distributing child pornography.

Her whole story was that she saw the face of the friend's father when he saw the picture and learned her lesson, except NO. She didn't.

SHE
KEPT
THE
PHOTO

Hell at one point she destroys her old phone and she STILL kept the photo meaning she went out of her way to keep it.
And then the proof she learned nothing.

SHE
SHOWED
IT
TO
JASON!

And on top of all of that she had the nerve to see her former friends running for their lives during the zord battle and laugh at them saying they deserve it!

In a good movie Kim would have been the victim, a girl betrayed by a close friend who needs to learn to trust again. Not the person who violated someone's trust on that level!
Kim didnt learn anything from her own mistakes. The movie couldnt even get the characterization right let alone the power rangers lore.
mmprfan09 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.