Power Ranger

Certainly hit hard with the creep factor
toejammer is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:45 AM #265
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Part 2 is out today. Watched the first two episodes.

I'm liking this part more than the first one, honestly.

Also, at the end of episode 2, Harvey was buying the "Afterlife with Archie" comics. Lol"

Last edited by Dexter1998; April 5th, 2019 at 08:11 PM.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2019, 08:06 PM #266
> PR Master
Ranger of Power

PR Master
Ranger of Power

Xenotome wrote: View Post

This. I much prefer this, the Sabrina sitcom I watched in high school.
PR Master is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2019, 06:38 AM #267
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Just got done binging, i thoroughly enjoyed this part. Maybe slightly more than the first. The plot was engaging and all added up in the end.
This part touched on so many current day themes and made it more than just a show about witches
women in power, gender identification, acceptance, sex, friends dating other friends exs. Definitely gave the series much more substance.

The love triangle aspect they seemed to be hinting at was no where near as strong or prominent as i was expecting. I was expecting an all out fight for sabrinas love.

Blackwell is still a see you next tuesday, and i await his death so much.

Kinda wish we got to see sweetwater river when they mentioned it... but guess they dont want the theorists to go wild about a crossover with riverdale.

I look forward to all the easter egg videos showing what they adapted from the comics

Old April 6th, 2019, 04:16 PM #268
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Finished watching and, was it me or was this part 2 like a hundred times better than part 1? It's like the show finally found out what it wanted to be.
Old April 7th, 2019, 04:39 AM #269
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Dexter1998 wrote: View Post

Finished watching and, was it me or was this part 2 like a hundred times better than part 1? It's like the show finally found out what it wanted to be.
yeah the pacing and story telling was better. Kinda weird since they was shot back to back.
I think apart from that tarot card episode, they all had a more relevant purpose to the main story of some sort
Old April 7th, 2019, 07:49 PM #270
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

toejammer wrote: View Post

yeah the pacing and story telling was better. Kinda weird since they was shot back to back.
I think apart from that tarot card episode, they all had a more relevant purpose to the main story of some sort
The tarot episode felt SO DAMN LONG.

I mean, I liked it, but it was really long. And seems like each episode 5 of the seasons will be a story-per-character fell just like Riverdale (yeah, I know it says it's episode 4, but the true is that the Christmas episode was actually episode 1 of the second part, just added in part one because of weird reasons).
Old April 8th, 2019, 01:15 AM #271
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

I'm a bit slow, I've just started part 2 but I have to say that while I liked a lot I didn't like the Susie wants to join the basketball team story, Sabrina helped out with a spell over and over again because Susie wasn't good and then everyone was like "You showed them girl" and then we get the "It's Theo now" transgender coming out which could have been great but in that moment it felt wrongly placed because it was tied so much to an unearned victory, Theo was so happy, probably thinking he proved that he belongs but he really doesn't belong on the basketball team, Sabrina wanted to help but what she did was actually awful. Theo is now on the team but he's in for a rude awakening when he plays and Sabrina isn't there, he'll suck again which will probably make the coach angry thinking Theo is throwing the game on purpose.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2019, 11:02 AM #272
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

I'm a bit slow, I've just started part 2 but I have to say that while I liked a lot I didn't like the Susie wants to join the basketball team story, Sabrina helped out with a spell over and over again because Susie wasn't good and then everyone was like "You showed them girl" and then we get the "It's Theo now" transgender coming out which could have been great but in that moment it felt wrongly placed because it was tied so much to an unearned victory, Theo was so happy, probably thinking he proved that he belongs but he really doesn't belong on the basketball team, Sabrina wanted to help but what she did was actually awful. Theo is now on the team but he's in for a rude awakening when he plays and Sabrina isn't there, he'll suck again which will probably make the coach angry thinking Theo is throwing the game on purpose.
Keep on watching, it sorta gets touched on again but it doesnt
Old April 8th, 2019, 04:57 PM #273
> Pink Warrior
Power Ranger

Pink Warrior
Power Ranger

Pink Warrior is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 09:19 PM #274
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Okay, got done binging this series last night. And I liked. Total morality play, especially in part one really, but yeah. It was a fun show, Kiernan did great as Sabrina and always was enjoyable. Now, I mentioned it before here but I don't read the comic. So I gleamed some things from what people said here, but otherwise just jumped into the show. I wondered how they'd do a show where Sabrina was part of a Satanist religious group. And it makes sense how things go. It's not exactly played as being pure evil which I was a bit surprised I guess. Mind, I know nothing about real Satanist beliefs so there's that, nor if the show is even that close in core ideas, not that it matters really. But yeah, I like how it worked out. And I'll keep other stuff in spoilers below, space wise and all.
To get it out of the way, my biggest beef is with the Hammers of Feminism and Misogyny that come crashing down during the show. It was especially bad in part 2, so much so that it was a bit of a buzz kill for me while watching. Part 1 wasn't as bad with it, though it was still there. Especially with Lilith constantly making remarks about how men suck and women are the best(not exact quotes). And seriously, can we have a bad guy who isn't misogynistic? Why does it feel like if a guy is evil he has to automatically think poorly of women, especially nowadays? Sure, get it with the climate, but man it's beyond irritating. Blackwood would've been better if it just came down to a clashing of beliefs. I mean sure, technically that's what it was, but I guess I mean if his ideals didn't all hinge around 'women suck and should be subjugated''. It really, in my opinion, just took away from the character. I mean sure, want to go back to older more stricter ways? Great, but they could've been focusing on just 'stay away from mortals' or 'mortals are our play things', stuff like that.

It made him almost...comical. Especially when it came down to learning how he was going to make Letitia/Judith wed her own brother cause he thinks that'll somehow be a good thing? It's just pure madness. Mind, maybe that's the point and we'll see he's just become utterly deranged in part 3, but still. Made the character less interesting cause it was all there was, he was a one note guy. Though at the very least beyond Lilith, the Hammer of Feminism wasn't too bad. They easily could've made it horrible with Sabrina and her aunts, but instead it was about them(including Ambrose) being family and Spellmans, which was nice.

Okay, so that out of way. I was a bit surprised by the end of part 1 that Sabrina signed the book since that was a big deal of her not doing that. I mean I figured it was going to happen, but part of me felt like it came on too soon. Though the point was Lilith manipulated the crap out of her, and it was fun when she finally figured it out. Though at least if she was going to do it, it made sense then. As soon as Sabrina went to Witch Hogwarts and met Nick, I knew her and Harvey were done for. How can your mortal nice guy compare to the warlock bad boy? I don't dislike Nick though, but man immediately I thought he was going to turn out bad and he sort of did. Actually I was hoping he'd either be Lucifer's son there to manipulate or others help her along the dark path. Or Lucifer himself, cause what better way of getting his future bride on his side then making her fall for him in the guise of an attractive young man? Of course neither happened, but I wasn't entirely wrong so that was fun. I will say though, Nick comes across as a cliché, stereotypical female fantasy. Especially for teen girls. Oh, he's a total bad boy being a warlock and all. But he's /totally/ a nice guy. So girls get their "bad boy", but don't have to feel bad cause he's a bad boy yet also nice. Blah. But again, I liked Nick well enough. And I enjoyed him being a bit more practical with things; indulged in a couple orgies and flirting, didn't really want to throw himself into life or death situations but due to being with Sabrina, was inevitable. Yet still, while being a good person he wasn't exactly heroic till the end when he trapped Lucifer in him.

I mentioned it in the beginning, but I did like how they balanced our witch characters being part of a Satanic cult yet also we're suppose to care about them. Of course Sabrina wasn't fully in it exactly, which on one hand was a bit odd. Like her not knowing about witch celebrations like Lupercalia and all. I mean sure, she's 16. but it felt like she didn't know really anything about the Cult of Night and all. Which is weird considering Zelda was...well Zelda. As for the Aunties, I enjoyed them. Sure, Zelda was a stick in the mud more or less, but she kinda was back in the 90's so not surprised. She had her moments though and I enjoyed how those moments even surprised the others. At first I really wondered about Hilda, cause she really didn't seem like she fit with the Cult. She felt a little more like a...dowdy housewife? Not trying to be mean, she was just that sweet, positive, always tried to help everyone motherly type that seemed so at odds with Zelda. Yet part 2 really allowed her to show her dark side more, or at least that there was a cunning mind in there which was quite entertaining. She had a bit in part 1, but part 2 I felt really let her shine more and I great to really enjoy Hilda. I wondered about Ambrose at first; he wasn't bad, reminded me of Salem from the original in a way, but at first he was focused on the warlock that was killed and trying to find out what happened to him. Felt sort of...tact on. But then he was brought into the main story stuff and I grew to like him. Though...I either missed it or I don't think he ever figured out how that warlock was killed now that I think about it. Also, given how people react to such things here, I'm surprised there weren't people complaining about his short time boyfriend Luke being killed off screen. I will say that him hooking up with Prudence felt...odd. But hey, whatever it wasn't bad just a bit odd.

On Prudence, I did enjoy how she started as your typical mean girl, but ended up being more than that. Which I was glad, and look forward to seeing how she goes in the next two parts. You could really feel for her, wanting to be accepted by her dad, then once it happened even though she did bad things she was doing it cause she didn't want to lose that acceptance. Until she admitted Blackwood was a horrible person, etc etc. So yeah, nice arc for her throughout. Then we get our token human characters(heh, kidding). I liked Harvey, Ros, and Suzie/Theo well enough. Though Harvey and Ros getting together...I don't know. Felt a little forced just cause she's the only other teen girl and only human girl. Less about them having a real chemistry. Maybe it's just me, but it all felt rather sudden. He breaks up with Sabrina, and after the holidays is suddenly with Ros. Like some others mentioned, Sabrina magicking Theo onto the basketball team felt cheap. I get the point and all, and admittedly it fits since Sabrina constantly is going back and forth from her righteous indignation to enjoying a little bad, but still. And it really is never addressed. The most is when Veggiebrina taunts Theo about being on the team but it still isn't really brought up that he's only on it cause of her magic. I liked that Harvey breaking up with Sabrina was really that she was a witch, but because of her trying to "help" by bringing his brother back and what havoc that caused. So not being a witch, but just the issues that her using magic made made him not want to be with her. Admittedly though with Nick being Lucifer's fleshy cage in hell I can't help think that they'll find a way to put Sabrina and Harvey back together. To which...I hope not. But most shows have that...IT coupling and comics kind of doing it to with superheroes. It's the relationship that everyone defaults to thinking about. So when you have a show like this you just assume they'll eventually be together. Even though I don't really buy HarveyxRos, I'd still rather them be a thing than her getting back with Harvey.

Lilith, despite wielding the Hammer of Feminism, was a fun character. I enjoyed her manipulating Sabrina throughout the show, but also seeing her turning away from Lucifer toward the end. Wasn't surprised by it, but it was fun seeing it. And Alexis Denisof was a fun appearance. And I enjoyed watching as she enjoyed Denisof's character, tried to save her but of course that ultimately failed. Though now that the real Ms. Wardwell is back I wonder if she's going to learn her fiancé is dead. Oh and that she's principal now. Yeah, gonna be a shock. I mean she was "asleep" for...many months. Hopefully they wont gloss over that in part 3.

I was though a bit disappointed in Salem. Minor point, was thinking that he'd talk. Which technically he did, but only to Sabrina. More importantly though, he just was rather pointless in the show. The only time he was useful was in the beginning when Sabrina first was staying at the witch school and the Trio were harrowing her. But beyond that, he really did nothing. Most of the time he was just shown wandering through a scene, or sitting somewhere and meowing. Felt a bit of a waste there. I mean I like the ideas of the familiar. Goblins that take animal form and help their witches. But there was nothing really done with it. Sure, Leviathan that was given to Ambrose controlled him, but that was all just talked about and we really didn't even see it happen or even see Leviathan after he was given to him. So yeah, Salem didn't really do anything. Sure Sabrina told him to guard people and such a couple times but it's not like we saw him really help. I just wish he played more of a real role in the show. Otherwise there's little reason to even have him around. And yeah, I know Kiernan learned she was allergic to cats but that doesn't mean that Salem couldn't be useful and really if he was doing anything but wandering from point to point or sitting around, they'd CG him.

And with the end. Well I thought Lucifer was fun if only for his brief appearance. I'm curious if we'll see that actor again, or if he'll just be played by Nick's actor in the future. I did wonder though with our Human Trio stopping the Gates from opening. Ros sees the symbols, then tries to get Harvey to draw them, but can't describe them so she pulls out a new ability from nowhere that allows her to let Harvey see her vision. Like...it'd be one thing if she was trying to describe a person or something more complex. But they were just some runes, many of them just circles with various lines. I know Harvey is the artist, but seriously Ros could've grabbed the pad and scribbled those out without going through the hoops. Would've made more sense if she were still blind, cause she couldn't see what she was drawing and if it matched, but not how things went here. Not the worst thing in the world, just couldn't help noticing it. I did like that they played a part though and helped stop things. And I'm really curious what Lilith is going to do. With her agenda I feel like Sabrina may regret letting her have the crown, though there wasn't much choice. But we'll see. Could be interesting. And of course, what'll happen to Nick. I still assume Lucifer will take him over, or maybe Lilith will someway enchant or otherwise bring Nick to her side and in a way have Lucifer as her puppet by proxy. Who knows.

And Zelda is leading the remnants of the former Church of Night(I know, before I called it Cult of Night, whatever). That didn't surprise me in the least. I kept figuring that Blackwood would probably die and Zelda would take over as the first high priestess(I assume there hasn't been one). So yeah, curious to see what they'll turn the coven into now. There's still the larger Church of Night sects out there. Might be interesting if we saw another sect show up to try and claim Greendale as their own territory, though not sure if that's how the sects work. And Ambrose and Prudence are off searching for Blackwood and the twins. I mentioned before, I'm curious if they'll find him some raving lunatic or something. Or if he'll show up as a real threat.

Oh yeah, one of the things that bugged me a bit. Sabrina and school. Like I get before, she was basically doing double duty; going to Greendale High then the Unseen after that or on weekends. But after part 1 she ditched Greendale and spent an extended amount of time at the Unseen, then just popped back into Greendale like it was no biggie. Sure, Lilith was principal so that helped but I feel like her other teachers would raise some concerns. I know Zelda mentioned using various illnesses as excuses but still. Seems a bit too convenient that she can just come and go taking classes at Greendale whenever she feels like it. Oh well though.

Last edited by Alitain; July 10th, 2019 at 09:34 PM.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 05:36 AM #275
> Phantom Wolf DX
Dutch

Phantom Wolf DX
Dutch

I did like season 2 as well, but the final just seemed off to me. It has been a while since I watched it, but Sabrina is finally on "good terms" with Lilith and the first thing she wants to do, is defy her and get Nick back, who actually contains the "soul" of Lucifer. That does not seem like a smart move to me.

I was watching the season with a friend and this should be the least of her priorities. We both found the last episode kinda rushed and that Sabrina just seemed like a spoiled brat.

It would make more sense of her to actually help Ambrose and Prudence to find Blackwood. He did try and kill the entire Church of Night and by defeating him, saving the twins.
Phantom Wolf DX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 05:02 PM #276
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Phantom Wolf DX wrote: View Post

I did like season 2 as well, but the final just seemed off to me. It has been a while since I watched it, but Sabrina is finally on "good terms" with Lilith and the first thing she wants to do, is defy her and get Nick back, who actually contains the "soul" of Lucifer. That does not seem like a smart move to me.

I was watching the season with a friend and this should be the least of her priorities. We both found the last episode kinda rushed and that Sabrina just seemed like a spoiled brat.

It would make more sense of her to actually help Ambrose and Prudence to find Blackwood. He did try and kill the entire Church of Night and by defeating him, saving the twins.
Eh, she isn't really defying Lilith though. Lilith took Nick to Hell because it'd be the best place for him now that he's holding Lucifer. It's not like Nick was banished there because only in hell could Lucifer be contained, or any such junk. And it's not unreasonable for her to want to save him. You're also just assuming that Sabrina would pop into hell, grab Nick and bring him back and act like that's all there is. She's not stupid, obviously she knows Lucifer is inside him. So /clearly/ she wants to save /Nick/, not just from hell but also getting Lucifer out of him and either into something else or defeating him.

How does she come across as a spoiled brat? Honestly curious, just didn't get that impression in the last episode. She wanted to avoid becoming her father's hell bride, was honestly against and upset about Nick using himself as a cage, etc etc. Just don't see the spoiled part unless I missed something.

As for Blackwood, well that's what Ambrose and Prudence are for. It's really their personal mission anyways. Yeah, Blackwood is an evil dick but those two are capable enough and don't necessarily need Sabrina along. It is okay to let others handle things. I mean one would assume that Zelda(and with Hilda's help) can handle leading the remains of the coven. And wouldn't need Sabrina's help with that. So Ambrose and Prudence, both capable witches/warlocks, who know more than Sabrina, can track down Blackwood. Plus given that we don't have S3 we don't really know how far they'll actually go. Sure, they want to kill him and get the kids back but they could easily assess the situation as being too risky and one or both return for help. Too early to judge. But really, Sabrina just isn't absolutely needed.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote