Home Menu

Menu

Old July 11th, 2019, 10:59 PM #341
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

PopCultureLover06 wrote: View Post

damn, hopefully it doesn't affect it's box-office performance, still would like to see it surpass Beauty and the Beast from 2017
And once again this obsession with box office over quality just baffles me...why should people reward mediocrity exactly?
Cameron Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 11:01 PM #342
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

And once again this obsession with box office over quality just baffles me...why should people reward mediocrity exactly?
Because that's what the studios care the most about and is their only metric of determining success or failure?

Whether we like it or not.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 11:54 PM #343
> toejammer
Power Ranger

toejammer
Power Ranger

Personally i dont buy into the likes of rotten tomatoes scores. Critics are watching the films completely differently to how a casual viewer will watch it, hence why like maslego said, the audience score is always higher. Thats why im sometimes baffled when people let the critic score determine if they should watch the film or not.

Last edited by toejammer; July 12th, 2019 at 12:00 AM.
toejammer is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:18 AM #344
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

IndieWire wrote:
David Ehrlich says the film "fatally misunderstands what once made Disney special".

"Unfolding like the world's longest and least convincing deepfake, Jon Favreau's (almost) photorealistic remake of The Lion King is meant to represent the next step in Disney's circle of life. Instead, this soulless chimera of a film comes off as little more than a glorified tech demo from a greedy conglomerate - a well-rendered but creatively bankrupt self-portrait of a movie studio eating its own tail."
I didn't have much interest in seeing this before the reviews started rolling in.

It bothers me that this trend is just the death-nell to any kind of story-telling creativity, and it's almost reassuring that it's starting to bother other people, too.
Peter is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:26 AM #345
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

TeraMan wrote: View Post

Because that's what the studios care the most about and is their only metric of determining success or failure?

absolutely, businesses exist for one reason, to make money.
PopCultureLover06 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:32 AM #346
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

But does it matter that it's wrong?
AkaGreen wrote: View Post

But it's such a small thing to nitpick ....
A) It ignores that the animators did 90% of the work in the movie.
B) Live Action means most of what you see actually happened in front of a camera., that's not what happened here.

Categorizing a movie is also not nitpicking, it's literally what the movie is not some minot detail.

maslego wrote: View Post

Why do people act like that website matters? More often than not when the movie actually comes out the audience score is much higher. Just look at Godzilla KOTM! https://i.imgur.com/SX8iZ52.png
Funny thing about critics and fans in the internet. When the fans agree with the critics they say "Look at the critics!", when they disagree they say "Eh, what do critics know ..."

When it comes to rottentomatoes specifically the tomatometer is interesting because it indicates what critics generally think, of course it doesn't tell us everything but that's why they link to the actual reviews.
The audience score is completely worthless and should probably be removed because most fans don't bother giving reasons for their score.

The critics score for KOTM being low just means the movie wasn't very good and you can't even accuse them of being snobs because both the 2014 Godzilla and the 2016 Shin Godzilla were rated fresh at 75 and 86% respectively.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:01 AM #347
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Of course bushiness care about the top dollar and bottom line, I'm talking more about the consumer being obsessed with how much a movie is making lately. Perhaps I'm only now noticing it because of the obsession some have with forcing people to watch Endgame more times than necessary to beat Avatar
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:04 AM #348
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

A) It ignores that the animators did 90% of the work in the movie.
... to produce something that looks as photo-realistic as possible.

C'mon here. Either this movie needs to exist in it's own entirely separate-catergory, or it's a live action remake like the rest of them. It's splitting hairs on something that, yes, people don't really care that much about.

I don't think Aladdin's carpet actually flew or that they hired a half-man-half-chimera for "Beauty and the Beast", but those were live action remakes, weren't they?
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:13 AM #349
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Categorizing a movie is also not nitpicking, it's literally what the movie is not some minot detail.
It's not nitpicking if you don't wanna call it live action, but going after others who refer to it as live action kind of is. It's correcting someone over a little detail.

Again, everyone knows it's not live action. But it's meant to look like it, and it's gonna be put in the same category as all the other remakes they're doing right now. It doesn't hurt anything if somebody mentions it as live action when talking about it.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:22 AM #350
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Of course bushiness care about the top dollar and bottom line, I'm talking more about the consumer being obsessed with how much a movie is making lately. Perhaps I'm only now noticing it because of the obsession some have with forcing people to watch Endgame more times than necessary to beat Avatar
Because itís become a part of the wider conversation and discussion of a movie due to how financial success tends to be as close as you can get to putting an objective metric on the subjective value of entertainment? And that it generates further discussion on why a movie is not in synch in financially and critically (the movie that got high praise from critics but bombed at the box office, and vice versa).

Makes sense to me.

(Itís obviously not a perfect correlation considering many many other movies but itís the only thing people got)

Last edited by TeraMan; July 12th, 2019 at 01:30 AM.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:25 AM #351
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

"Can You Feel The Love...This Afternoon?"
Old July 12th, 2019, 03:00 AM #352
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Peter wrote: View Post

... to produce something that looks as photo-realistic as possible.
But looking photo-realistic doesn't mean it's not animated.

Have you ever seen photorealistic paintings? Here's a guy in the process of doing one:

You won't call it photography despite looking like that, it's still a painting. Because what it is is not determined by how it looks but by the process of how it was made.
The same applies here, the movie can look as photorealistic as it wants, it's still animated.

I don't think Aladdin's carpet actually flew or that they hired a half-man-half-chimera for "Beauty and the Beast", but those were live action remakes, weren't they?
Yes, with added cgi elements but live action none the less because they had human actors in costume on set in front of a camera, that's what makes it live action or maybe a hybrid depending in the amount of animation.

AkaGreen wrote: View Post

It's not nitpicking if you don't wanna call it live action, but going after others who refer to it as live action kind of is. It's correcting someone over a little detail.
The point is that I disagree that it's a minor detail, it's a fundamental part of how the movie was made.

Again, everyone knows it's not live action. But it's meant to look like it, and it's gonna be put in the same category as all the other remakes they're doing right now. It doesn't hurt anything if somebody mentions it as live action when talking about it.
You can put it in the same remake category but it's still not live action, that's not a matter of opinion, it's just not.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 12th, 2019, 04:02 AM #353
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Because what it is is not determined by how it looks but by the process of how it was made.
Do you really think the majority of viewers are going to think of this movie as anything other than a live action remake? It's obviously CGI because animals don't actually talk, but it's still meant to resemble a live action movie with animals that are meant to be taken as realistically as possible.
Old July 12th, 2019, 05:04 AM #354
> screamqueen
Power Ranger

screamqueen
Power Ranger

ranger_scout wrote: View Post

Also here's "He Lives in You", but it's sung in a different language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j7mEsakUHQ
That is Swahili if I'm not mistaken? My favourite song in the musical, I LOVE this version ...
screamqueen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:10 AM #355
> ⚡Taichi
Agumon... SHINKA!

32 eBay
Taichi
Agumon... SHINKA!

32 eBay

You aren't the only one that loves that version. I've listened to it about 30 times in the car between yesterday and this morning... lol.
Taichi is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:32 AM #356
> MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

MMPR-TheGreenRanger
The Paper Prop Maker

Peter wrote: View Post

Do you really think the majority of viewers are going to think of this movie as anything other than a live action remake?
Just because a majority of viewers think it's live action, doesn't mean they're right. If a majority of people starting calling Power Rangers a cartoon because everything is bright and colorful they still wouldn't be right.
MMPR-TheGreenRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:24 PM #357
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

The point is that I disagree that it's a minor detail, it's a fundamental part of how the movie was made.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on it. I still think it's a nitpick to correct someone on it when they're just mentioning it at live action, but to each their own.

Now if somebody was making a case for why it is live action? Then I see more of an issue.

You can put it in the same remake category but it's still not live action, that's not a matter of opinion, it's just not.
And again, I've said it's not live action. I think everyone knows it not really live action. But it's not hurting anything for someone to just say "live action" when talking about it, because the movie was made to look like it.
AkaGreen is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:42 PM #358
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Because itís become a part of the wider conversation and discussion of a movie due to how financial success tends to be as close as you can get to putting an objective metric on the subjective value of entertainment?
I don't think that it puts an objective exclamation mark on anything. Quality is not only subjective, it's also prone to the labels "overrated", "underrated" etc. You can have a movie net a tidy billion and still have someone say it was complete shit
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:50 PM #359
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

I don't think that it puts an objective exclamation mark on anything. Quality is not only subjective, it's also prone to the labels "overrated", "underrated" etc. You can have a movie net a tidy billion and still have someone say it was complete shit
He didn't say "quality", though. He said "entertainment". There are technically masterful films that will put you to sleep, and there's amateurish efforts that hold your attention throughout. A movie doesn't have to be good to be entertaining, nor does it have to be bad to be unentertaining.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 04:04 PM #360
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

With just one week left until it hit theaters, Disney released a featurette focusing on the cast.

ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote