Home Menu

Menu

Old July 10th, 2019, 10:48 PM #3721
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider

christopherjohn
VIP Rider

Cuchulainn wrote: View Post

Nah. A major theme of the movie was "The Jedi and Sith are just institutions of a struggle between good and evil, and trying to preserve the institutions rather than the Force's balance will merely prolong the struggle." The movie ended with the Jedi effectively ceasing as an Order along with its sacred texts and with Kylo Ren stepping out of Vader's shadow and "transcending" the Sith. He doesn't need to be another Darth Vader or another Sith because he's going to forge something new, in the same way Rey will. I loved that element in the movie.

So the fact even the foot soldiers are called "Sith Troopers" gives me a feeling that Abrams isn't going to follow up on that and that Kylo is now trying to form a new Sith order. I could be wrong and the name for the troopers could be purely ceremonial. But I doubt that.
Here is the thing killing the past is to ignore it and let it die. Coming out of the shadows and accepting the failures and changing from what you learned is embracing the past to creat a new future. The Sith and Jedi were flawed. The Jedi are not gone as Rey is The Last Jedi but what the Jedi will become under her we don't know because she has to change how they did things. Both Rey and Kylo stepped out of the shadows of what they wanted to be. Kylo wanted to be Vader but embraced he wasn't and achieved power Vader never did. Rey wanted to learn to be a Jedi but instead she learned she has to find herself as Jedi. She must learn from the past and forge a new future. She stepped out of the Jedi's shadow to create a new era.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 12:05 AM #3722
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

So the fact even the foot soldiers are called "Sith Troopers" gives me a feeling that Abrams isn't going to follow up on that and that Kylo is now trying to form a new Sith order. I could be wrong and the name for the troopers could be purely ceremonial. But I doubt that.
I don't know, the fact they are plural, as in more than one, and likely more than two, already sort of throws a lot of the Sith rules out the door. Being Stormtroopers with special designations also throws Sith rules out the door, breaking down the institutions and traditions already.

My guess is they are either just a special branded propaganda unit built to spread fear and confuse the narrative about how powerful Kylo Ren is or actually a special unit of force sensitive troopers outfitted to fight Jedi and other Force Sensitive soldiers of the Resistance Rey is likely drawing in.

Or it's just a toy exclusive red repaint of a storm trooper with a lightsaber accessory and not even in the film.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 09:14 AM #3723
> TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

TheLastBlade
Power Ranger

Sith trooper sounds like a mistake.
TheLastBlade is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 11:03 AM #3724
> bearytrek
Power Ranger

bearytrek
Power Ranger

timegold wrote: View Post

That's not really ironic. "Irony" would be if this went against a message of inclusiveness or even just not judging a book by its cover.

irony would be if Rey creates the new Skywalker Order and thus negates Luke's "Everything you just said is wrong" about being the last Jedi...
bearytrek is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:52 PM #3725
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

bearytrek wrote: View Post

irony would be if Rey creates the new Skywalker Order and thus negates Luke's "Everything you just said is wrong" about being the last Jedi...
Wouldn't that only be ironic if she did that while trying to uphold his ideals? Otherwise, that would be, I don't know, maybe defiant?
timegold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:57 PM #3726
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Unfortunately, damn near anything can be ironic because the definition of "irony" is so broad.: "A condition of affairs or events of a character opposite to what was, or might naturally be, expected; a contradictory outcome of events as if in mockery of the promise and fitness of things."

Depending on what one expects and how strongly one expects it, what is ironic to one person may not be to another.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 11:53 PM #3727
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

Here is the thing killing the past is to ignore it and let it die.
He says "Let the past die." and then follows that up with "Kill it if you have to." to make the point that the past should sometimes be actively purged or destroyed in order to move forward. Not neglected or merely forgotten. Killed. You can try to ignore it and let it fade away, but sometimes it'll keep bubbling up until you put your hands around it and end it for good.
Cuchulainn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 07:40 AM #3728
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

He says "Let the past die." and then follows that up with "Kill it if you have to." to make the point that the past should sometimes be actively purged or destroyed in order to move forward. Not neglected or merely forgotten. Killed. You can try to ignore it and let it fade away, but sometimes it'll keep bubbling up until you put your hands around it and end it for good.
...Just out of curiosity, do you approve of that mindset in regards to the Star Wars franchise? Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but there seems to be an inordinate amount of relish in your elaboration here.

Last edited by GetTheeToABrewery; July 12th, 2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:06 AM #3729
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

GetTheeToABrewery wrote: View Post

...Just out of curiosity, do you approve of that mindset in regards to the Star Wars franchise? Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but there seems to be an inordinate amount of relish in your elaboration here.
Nah. It was late when I typed that up and I thought explaining the significance of Kylo Ren's wording from his perspective was a good idea.
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:37 AM #3730
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Nah. It was late when I typed that up and I thought explaining the significance of Kylo Ren's wording from his perspective was a good idea.
Ah, I see. Really, I wanted to see Rey and the new Jedi Order prove that Kylo's position is wrong, but such a victory would be pretty hollow if he didn't actually try to kill the past.
Old July 12th, 2019, 01:57 PM #3731
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

In a more consistent trend, despite no one seeing a single second of footage for the Mandalorian, a second season has already been approved and work has started.

Source
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM #3732
> Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Gold Samurai
Power Ranger

Disney reportedly spending 15 million dollars an episode for "The Mandalorian"

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/the-mandal...llion-episode/
Gold Samurai is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM #3733
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

Red Letter Media predicts the plot of Rise of Skywalker

comicstar100 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 12:10 AM #3734
> Random
The Lizard Queen

Random
The Lizard Queen

comicstar100 wrote: View Post

Red Letter Media predicts the plot of Rise of Skywalker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzeOrA2in1c
I love the best of the worst videos, but these guys are massive hypocrites for constantly complaining (I assume they're complaining, I'm not giving this video views) about Star Wars, Star Wars fans and the amount of star Wars discussion, only to make videos and constant references on a regular basis.
Random is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 AM #3735
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

It'd be hilarious if these were like Snoke loyalist Troopers Kylo Ren is now hunting down for not swearing allegiance to him.
Would have preferred more Storm Troopers pulling a Finn to be a thing.
Adara.2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 01:30 AM #3736
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Even Kylo Ren becamed the New Ruler of First Order, there are not loyal troops to him !!! Hux could be one the them
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 01:43 AM #3737
> comicstar100
Pirate King

comicstar100
Pirate King

Bring on the Old Republic series that is supposed to be totally real please.
comicstar100 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 07:18 AM #3738
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Random wrote: View Post

I love the best of the worst videos, but these guys are massive hypocrites for constantly complaining (I assume they're complaining, I'm not giving this video views) about Star Wars, Star Wars fans and the amount of star Wars discussion, only to make videos and constant references on a regular basis.
I wouldn't watch it just because Youtube then floods your feed with way worse and overtly just bigoted hate videos of every pop culture subject as a result.

Adara.2 wrote: View Post

Would have preferred more Storm Troopers pulling a Finn to be a thing.
I wonder if that will be a thing, the original rebellion was full of troopers and pilots that defected having only been Imperial because they had to be. The First Order's army is made up of brainwashed children raised to be troopers, Finn's more of a rarity as a result and why he got such a hateful reaction as a traitor. With Kylo Ren in charge, I'd assume there's going to be more defection or desertion than under Snoke. I bet that'll play into the current cartoon series at some point.

Akumaru wrote: View Post

Even Kylo Ren becamed the New Ruler of First Order, there are not loyal troops to him !!! Hux could be one the them
Hux is likely one of them, but also so terrified of Ren he's unable to move against him. Hux is more indoctrinated that Kylo Ren is, he was literally born for his position, Ren had to be corrupted and broken by the Dark Side. I imagine there's going to be some Hux based backstabbing or mutiny at some point. Either failed attempts in the EU or it'll be his plot in the next film.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 08:13 AM #3739
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

Random wrote: View Post

but these guys are massive hypocrites for constantly complaining (I assume they're complaining,
RLM is Rick & Morty for movie buffs. They're eye-rollingly cynical about everything and their fanbase is even worse. Every time they do a SW video I sigh because I'm gonna be hearing their talking points regurgitated at me by some dude at a party who thinks he's a film critic.
Old Today, 08:24 AM #3740
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

I don't know, the fact they are plural, as in more than one, and likely more than two, already sort of throws a lot of the Sith rules out the door. Being Stormtroopers with special designations also throws Sith rules out the door, breaking down the institutions and traditions already.

My guess is they are either just a special branded propaganda unit built to spread fear and confuse the narrative about how powerful Kylo Ren is or actually a special unit of force sensitive troopers outfitted to fight Jedi and other Force Sensitive soldiers of the Resistance Rey is likely drawing in.

Or it's just a toy exclusive red repaint of a storm trooper with a lightsaber accessory and not even in the film.
The Hot Toys figure uses a symbol that is unique from both the First Order and the Empire on the box for the Sith Trooper so I wouldn't be completely shocked if these guys were something completely independent from the FO. If Palpatine does return in flesh and blood, my guess would be that these guys work for him.

Or I could be wrong and this could be another example of continuity between JJ and Johnson not being great. Regardless of whether they work for Palps or Kylo, I sort of doubt that they'll be actual "Sith". If anything I'd say that they are troopers that work for a Sith.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
porgs