Home Menu

Menu

Old July 11th, 2019, 08:12 AM #121
> Zeo-Gold92
'Consequences'

Zeo-Gold92
'Consequences'

megagao wrote: View Post

why are people complaining about Hopper? Like did we see them bring Barb back? no, why? because we saw her dead ass body. did they bring back Bob? no, why? because we saw his sexy body be mutilated by that hell hound. we. did. not. see. hopper. blow. the. eff. up. so for him to "stay dead" is a bit of a stretch when he's clearly not dead. he mysteriously disappeared from where he was standing, yet corpses were left on the floor the first time that key thing blew up leaving lumps of blood body parts on the floor.

where hopper was standing, there was nothing, no blood, no clothing, no heaps of body parts charred from the explosion. he jumped into the gate
. end of discussion. lort.
That was kinda my thinking too.
Zeo-Gold92 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old July 11th, 2019, 10:07 AM #122
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

megagao wrote: View Post

why are people complaining about Hopper?
I know this isn't what you were referring to but it made me think about the way people are freaking out over Hopper being "toxic" and "ruined" this season. For yelling, particularly for yelling about Mike and El I've noticed more than what would be a better complaint in his manchild behavior towards Joyce.

The guy is a new father, of a teenage girl. With a boyfriend who's actively being a rude shit to him, in his house. And he's the goddamn Sheriff in an 80s setting. It would have been entirely justifiable had he just outright slapped Mike at one point or even reminded him he had a gun. Yelling at him for being a shit and not taking his rules seriously, while constantly making out with his daughter literally feet away from his tv watching chair? Mike is the true bad guy of this season.

As for Hopper's boorish behavior going forward, that's all stemming from this emotional drama he's got being a parent and his inability to deal with it or any emotion. It's not okay to act like he did, that's the point and why Joyce treated him like a child the whole time, because he was acting like one. She didn't give him any leniency for that behavior until he finally stopped acting like an ass and they could have a real conversation. I'm seeing so many reviews out there hounding Hopper as being a monster and someone you should avoid in real life, but then ignore how Joyce handled him like a boss the whole time. Which then ignores the meta reference of the Sam and Diane trope of it all.

Hopper was never a full on Lawful Good hero type. It feels like people forgot that.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 11:25 AM #123
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

I know this isn't what you were referring to but it made me think about the way people are freaking out over Hopper being "toxic" and "ruined" this season. For yelling, particularly for yelling about Mike and El I've noticed more than what would be a better complaint in his manchild behavior towards Joyce.

The guy is a new father, of a teenage girl. With a boyfriend who's actively being a rude shit to him, in his house. And he's the goddamn Sheriff in an 80s setting. It would have been entirely justifiable had he just outright slapped Mike at one point or even reminded him he had a gun. Yelling at him for being a shit and not taking his rules seriously, while constantly making out with his daughter literally feet away from his tv watching chair? Mike is the true bad guy of this season.

As for Hopper's boorish behavior going forward, that's all stemming from this emotional drama he's got being a parent and his inability to deal with it or any emotion. It's not okay to act like he did, that's the point and why Joyce treated him like a child the whole time, because he was acting like one. She didn't give him any leniency for that behavior until he finally stopped acting like an ass and they could have a real conversation. I'm seeing so many reviews out there hounding Hopper as being a monster and someone you should avoid in real life, but then ignore how Joyce handled him like a boss the whole time. Which then ignores the meta reference of the Sam and Diane trope of it all.

Hopper was never a full on Lawful Good hero type. It feels like people forgot that.
i think people seem to forget that Hopper is damaged goods. i mean his daughter was his world and now she's gone. and now he has El, and there are things trying to hurt her. hoppers mentality is fine. people want others to be "perfect" when in fact, the world is littered with flawed peeps.
megagao is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 06:11 PM #124
> Nightcrawler
I am the one who BAMFs!

Nightcrawler
I am the one who BAMFs!

I don't know what I'd do if Hopper wasn't solving all his problems by cold cocking people...
Nightcrawler is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:56 PM #125
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

I agree with this completely.
Was he overblown, and not handle things well? Sure. Though I found him threatening Mike in the truck funny. But yeah, I mean if you think about it's been A YEAR. And considering that the rules kept Elle from even being allowed to go to the mall, obviously the only thing she could do is hang at home or be with the party as long as it wasn't a public place. Sidenote, I found it funny Hopper actually did listen to the doc at the end of S2 telling him to keep her on the down low for at least a year. Anyway, all she did was hang with them, and then spending time with Mike. Admittedly it's kind of Hopper's fault there, keeping her from getting out more, but there was a purpose to it.

But yeah, Hopper was doing his best. He's not the most sensitive guy, he behaves like a brute half the time, but he's still a good guy. And it's not like parents are perfect or handle issues with kids well all the time. People should really get a clue and lay off. And in the end, Hopper meant well even if he handled it badly.

So yeah, just finished it and really enjoyed it. But I've enjoyed the show from the start. I...assume there'll be a S4 but then again Netflix has surprised us before in bad ways.
Man, what a rush of a season. Definitely was a quick one, but no surprise considering it started June 28 and ended July 4. Made me laugh thinking of I was born during S3 of the show, just an amusing aside. Part of me was kind of sad how segregated the groups were for the season. And then they all come together at the end...only to immediately split back up in the exact same groups. But it's also understandable with a large cast. Can't keep them all together all the time especially when you need to tackle different aspects of the story and given your characters time to shine. But it was a shame. Like the four boys weren't together really at all. Which is sorta funny since that's a trend, but yeah.

I mean I was glad Will wasn't made a victim for once. Finally! Though aside from his Flayer Tingle*wink wink Spider-Man*, he admittedly was just there. Maybe it's just cause his role previously was Victim Boy, but he had little to really do or impact. The best part for him was early on when he was making Mike and Lucas play D&D, they got pissed, and Mike and Will had that argument in the garage. Good scene, loved it, but that was really it for Will. Beyond that he was just another body. So sure, not a victim but also kinda useless beyond the Tingle.

And yeah, Dustin being kept from the rest was a bummer. Don't get me wrong, I liked his group's story. Him and Steve are great together, Robin was a great addition. Erica...well Erica was there. She was annoying, by the end I was kinda more indifferent which meant my friend was right when he said my feelings about her would improve by the end of the season, but still. So I liked all that, but it was a shame they were all so disconnected even though they were all part of the same story.

Part of me felt the Russians were a bit tacked on even though it was amusing since Russians were brought up last season to actually have them there as bad guys. And obviously they'll play a part in S4, so S3 in a way was partially a set up. But oh well. The Flesh Golem was fun. And dammit, I totally thought they were going to kill Billy off in the first episode. And ha! End of last season I told my friend I completely believed next season the Mind Flayer would take control of Billy and turn him into his evil agent. Sure enough, exactly what happened. Also dammit Dacre you just have to play a hero again! Okay, hero is a stretch I know, but still. And we can also assume that this Billy is not getting an emotional resurrection heh. But no, while I didn't necessarily need them to make Billy the least bit sympathetic cause of seeing his happier child self and all, I'm not surprised. I mean we saw a bit last season when his dad shook him down. Still, this season I feel gave Dacre more range to work with with Billy which was probably fun. Last season he was basically just an ass the entire time. Here though there was more range to him. And that's not criticizing Dacre, I'm just saying he was clearly given more to do so that's really cool I bet he enjoyed it. But no more for him next season, shame.

And the Mind Flayer is still out there. I'm curious what S4 might do to address this since yeah, they talked about doing one or two more seasons. Assumedly the MF is your ultimate Big Bad, so taking him down would likely signify the end of the series.

Okay, haven't mentioned yet but dammit it all to hell I busted out when Dustin started singing Neverending Story song. Dammit that was great, and him and Suzie singing together was really just incredibly adorable. And then Lucas and Max teasing him at the end was funny even if they were bastards for it heh.

I was a bit worried with Nancy & Jonathan's side of things when it came to the news story and all. Mainly cause Nancy really was being na´ve, and she ruined a fine internship for Jonathan. Sure, the guys running the paper were jerks, but it's true sometimes that's how the world works and you gotta deal with it. And yet Jonathan was the bad guy for trying to get her back down some at least. And then I was happy her mom even called her out on being na´ve about the world, but then ruined it a bit by going on about how she should just follow the story anyways and get it published to show those guys. Sorta contradicts. And yes, obviously she was going to be right there was a story. But toward the end when they were in the hospital elevator, she just apologizes for saying he was like those jerks at the paper. Yet then was smug when Jonathan admitted she was right about the story. But her behavior while at the paper was just a bit selfish. She was upset that her internship amounted to her being a gopher, but you know what? That's part of what interns do, sometimes mostly what they do. Doesn't excuse the behavior of the jerks, but maybe she should've just left and tried to get something else since clearly the paper was not going to be a good avenue for her even if she wanted to be a reporter. So yeah, I wasn't thrilled that it all still amounted to Jonathan being wrong and the "bad guy", and she was basically clean of any wrong. Didn't make me dislike her character, just wasn't thrilled about that part of things.

So, the end
Well damn, they actually moved away. I didn't think they'd really do it, but they did. Mind, either they'll be back next season or at least make an appearance. I can't imagine they'd actually get rid of Joyce, Jonathan, and Elle. Will I could take or leave, sadly, but not so the others. I would be impressed though, and wouldn't be super mad. Again though I think they'll be there next season; visiting or something. Most likely Nancy will have found another guy and Jonathan will be jealous. Will might feel more tacked on or out of place, or maybe he'll develop more and he'll have time with Elle. Even though obviously we know they spent time together over the year gap, we might see some of that. Hard to say.

I'm in the party with Hopper isn't dead. Even though he had his whole letter speech thing at the end, and it was really nice; especially the end about the door, I feel like he's not dead. I think he jumped into the Upside Down purposely to avoid the blast, figuring it was better than nothing and hoping he'd find a way out. Or, probably more likely, the blast blew him through the crack and he ended up popping out in Russia, hence being the American in the cell. Which makes sense they'd keep him hoping to figure out how he survived the jump. Cause how handy it'd be for the Russians to find a way to travel through the Upside Down to other locations on Earth. And my totally wild, no bearing on real facts theory; the demi-gorgon at the end is Hopper somehow mutated into the thing because of his exposure to the UD and the prisoner is some other American. Again, that's my totally wild and ridiculous theory.

I'm curious where we'll see the other characters go in a S4. Steve and Robin have a good thing going. We have Erica now, and while I'm indifferent to her as a character, I can't lie I enjoyed the scene at the end when they presented her with Will's D&D books, that was sweet. Jonathan is gone, so Nancy is left on her own. Part of me wondered if they'd move the older kids on and phase them out since we have all the others. But with Hopper seemingly gone, Joyce & Family, and Elle, away, I can't see them getting rid of them. Especially if there ends up only being one or two seasons. Well at least one, maybe two. And now the party is missing Will and Elle, though they've gained Erica I guess. But different dynamic. Hell, maybe they'll even somehow bring Suzie in at this point hehe.

I assume Elle will regain her powers. It's a classic scenario, the hero flexes their powers too much, too fast, and has a temporary burn out. But after a time they start coming back. Could be wrong, but I feel like she'll get them. I can easily see her continuing to try, maybe secretly working at it, then when she's mostly given up, she gets a flash and probably sees Hopper in danger which sets off some things. But yeah I wonder where things'll go. And hopefully they'll shake up the various character pairings in a S4.

Oh, so it was funny cause I had binged my dvds of S1 & 2 before going into S3, to refresh myself. So going from the end of S2 to 3, there's such a noticeable difference in the cast having grown. I mean yes, well aware it's been a year in the show, but still just couldn't help notice how they've changed and grown. And obviously will keep growing as they try and go hopefully for another season. Somewhat like the Harry Potter actors as the movies went on.
Alitain is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote