Home Menu

Menu

Old June 26th, 2019, 04:06 PM #1541
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Here's something: Why didn't Voldemort have baby Harry kidnapped, hidden, and raised by his own people before Dumbledore and his crew got to him?
Why would he? Voldemort wants to kill him, not raise him.
Long Time Newbie is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2019, 02:40 AM #1542
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Long Time Newbie wrote: View Post

Why would he? Voldemort wants to kill him, not raise him.
Because he wasn't around to do the deed himself, so just keep the hidden and raise him as a future Death Eater until Voldy returns. "You get the honor of dying for our master so that he may live again."

Then you get the whole thing of Neville now becoming the chosen one given that pretty much everything that applied to Harry to in the prophecy also seemed to apply to him.
BobbyDrake2000 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2019, 02:27 PM #1543
> Tommy4ever711
Power Ranger

Tommy4ever711
Power Ranger

Hello, who is your favorite character? Mine is Dumbledore!
Tommy4ever711 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 06:02 AM #1544
> BluePR
Power Ranger

BluePR
Power Ranger

I reread Chamber of Secrets and some aspects were a little disappointing, mainly that Lockhart, while still funny, felt a little too repetitive and there wasn't, as I recalled, the sense that a lot of people for a long time suspected Harry and even Harry doubted or suspected himself (it seems like it was almost just Justin and Ernie). But still a lot of strengths, in particular that Harry had almost been placed in Slytherin was a great idea to focus the sequel on and it's really scary and effective that Tom could charm and manipulate Ginny and take possession of her.

The timeline is also a little weird in that Hagrid doesn't come off as and I think most people don't really think of him as being in his 60s (though that may be the influence of the movies where Coltrane was actually in his 50s but looked younger).
BluePR is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 06:29 AM #1545
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

BluePR wrote: View Post

I reread Chamber of Secrets and some aspects were a little disappointing, mainly that Lockhart, while still funny, felt a little too repetitive and there wasn't, as I recalled, the sense that a lot of people for a long time suspected Harry and even Harry doubted or suspected himself (it seems like it was almost just Justin and Ernie). But still a lot of strengths, in particular that Harry had almost been placed in Slytherin was a great idea to focus the sequel on and it's really scary and effective that Tom could charm and manipulate Ginny and take possession of her.

The timeline is also a little weird in that Hagrid doesn't come off as and I think most people don't really think of him as being in his 60s (though that may be the influence of the movies where Coltrane was actually in his 50s but looked younger).
Well it's been awhile since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure people only started suspected Harry when it was revealed he was a parsel tongue. At that point it became the running suspicion that he was behind it. Or at least the rumor was perpetuated by Draco & Co.

As for Hagrid, well considering how age is kinda relative to some wizards in that world, it's not surprising. I thought at first you meant because of how he acted, then reread your post and realized you meant physical appearance. Still though, same thing applies. I don't think I really put an age on Hagrid any time I read the books. He was an adult, but older than Harry's parents yet obviously not as old as say Dumbledore. That's about all I cared about.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 04:31 PM #1546
> SephStuff
Power Ranger

SephStuff
Power Ranger

Hagrid always felt younger to me because they'd do things like go to his house and have cake. His age only really makes sense if you think about it as a kind of Grandfather-like relationship rather than a regular friendship.
SephStuff is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:32 PM #1547
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

SephStuff wrote: View Post

Hagrid always felt younger to me because they'd do things like go to his house and have cake. His age only really makes sense if you think about it as a kind of Grandfather-like relationship rather than a regular friendship.
Well I mean Hagrid always came across as at least a bit mentally handicapped. Or maybe not handicapped, but just kinda slow. So he was never mentally the same age as he was physically which is why he's the way he is. But I still think it was basically a kind of... friend/adult friendship thing. Not sure I'd go so far as grandfather-like, but definitely where Hagrid was viewed as that older adult, but not the same group as a parent or such. Like a teen and someone in their late 20's or something. They're technically an adult, but still young enough that the kid can feel more at ease with them.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:50 PM #1548
> Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

Long Time Newbie
Power Ranger

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Because he wasn't around to do the deed himself, so just keep the hidden and raise him as a future Death Eater until Voldy returns. "You get the honor of dying for our master so that he may live again."

Then you get the whole thing of Neville now becoming the chosen one given that pretty much everything that applied to Harry to in the prophecy also seemed to apply to him.
I doubt Voldemort had made any contingency plans for the event of his defeat - especially at the hands of an infant.

But if you want an answer I suggest that the Death Eaters didn't seem to know where Harry was until he started at Hogwarts.

Tommy4ever711 wrote: View Post

Hello, who is your favorite character? Mine is Dumbledore!
It seems to change every time I read it but probably Luna.

Alitain wrote: View Post

Well it's been awhile since I read the book, but I'm pretty sure people only started suspected Harry when it was revealed he was a parsel tongue. At that point it became the running suspicion that he was behind it. Or at least the rumor was perpetuated by Draco & Co.
Not Draco & Co. He was one of the few who, when asked, openly derided the idea of Harry being the heir. Remember, he idolised the heir and as such despised the idea that the person carrying on Salazar Slytherin's 'noble work' could be his hated rival.

As for not feeling like all that many people, I think Rowling downplayed it because being hounded is not all that fun to read about.
Long Time Newbie is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote